• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hyperdimension Idol Neptunia PP Video Highlights Noire

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
As I stated on other forums, the Hyperdimension Neptunia games and the upcoming Hyperdimension Neptunia television animation series feature a lot of Japanese voice actresses who are talented singers.

This is one reason, I think, they made an idol game like Kami Jigen Idol Neptune PP (Hyperdimension Idol Neptunia PP) - because they had the Japanese voice actresses who could handle the singing.

It may also be a reason why they cast certain Japanese voice actresses in Neptunia because they sing.

Even a Neptunia character who has no character songs (so far) like the main antagonist Magicon (Arfoire in the English version) has a Japanese voice actress with singing skills, Chiaki Takahashi.

As Noire/Black Heart voice actress Asami Imai speaks and sings as Chihaya Kisaragi in THE iDOLM@STER game and anime series, so does Magiquone (Arfoire) voice actress Chiaki Takahashi speaks and sings as Azusa Miura in THE iDOLM@STER game and anime series.

For several YouTube music videos of Chiaki Takahashi singing as Asuza Miura in THE iDOLM@STER 2 embedded in a post I made at another forum, google "Hyperdimension Idol PP Noire PV Magiquone Singing Siegel Clyne".

It may not show up now, but it should show up later on Google.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
dcloud04

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
the songs seems in the PV seems to be from their album solos in HDNV
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that Hyperdimension Neptunia V's Pururut (Plutia in the English version)/Iris Heart voice actress Kana Hanazawa speaks and sings as Eri Mizutani, a DLC character, in THE iDOLM@STER 2 game.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As I stated on other forums, the Hyperdimension Neptunia games and the upcoming Hyperdimension Neptunia television animation series feature a lot of Japanese voice actresses who are talented singers.

More like basically every voice actress in Japan can sing.

It's one of the things I don't like about the seiyuu industry, you basically have to be capable of singing if you want to be a female seiyuu. I assume that cuts out some otherwise good talent.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

More like basically every voice actress in Japan can sing.

It's one of the things I don't like about the seiyuu industry, you basically have to be capable of singing if you want to be a female seiyuu. I assume that cuts out some otherwise good talent.

You don't have to the world's greatest singer to be a female voice actress in Japan. But being decent enough to carry a tune helps.

It's part of multimedia merchandising of anime, games, and manga in Japan absent in the West.

Lack of experience probably is more of an issue.

The Japanese voice actresses in Neptunia are a particularly good bunch of singers, which is probably one reason why they made a Neptunia idol game. Many are seasoned veterans in their thirties and older: Rie Tanaka (34), Asami Imai (36), Rina Satou (32), Yui Horie (36), Chiaki Takahashi (36), etc.

Mika Kanai, who voices Histoire, is almost 50 years old.

One of the things I enjoyed most about many Disney theatrical animated features from the late 1980s and the 1990s - before CG animation a la Pixar took over in the US - is that they were animated musicals. They frequently cast voice actors and voice actresses with a singing background, often with Broadway musical theater experience: Jodi Benson as Ariel in The Little Mermaid; Paige O'Hara as Belle, the late Jerry Orbach as Lumière, Richard White as Gaston, and Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast (even Robby Benson, not known for his singing ability, sang as well as spoke as the Beast); Nathan Lane as Timon in The Lion King; and so on. Robin Williams sang as well as spoke as the Genie in Aladdin.

When the voice actors and voice actresses in those Disney animated features from the 80s and 90s couldn't do the singing, they had someone else dub their singing voice (e.g., Aladdin and Jasmine in Aladdin; Mulan in Mulan).

P.S. Kouichi Yamadera (Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop), Rie Tanaka's husband, spoke and sang as the Beast in the Japanese dub of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

Kouichi Yamadera has dubbed in Japanese a number of Disney animated characters as well as many, many leading men in Hollywood - from Brad Pitt to Tom Cruise to George Clooney to Denzel Washington to Al Pacino to Samuel L. Jackson to Ben Affleck to Eddie Murphy to Andy García to Tom Hanks to whomever else you can think of.

Yamadera's Donald Duck is the spitting image of Donald Duck in English. Except he speaks in Japanese.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 am; edited 12 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Now we just need the facepalm alien.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1