• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Curious. Though, if true, I wonder why Robert from RACS above didn't seem to know anything about it if such a letter was sent to retailers. If it is true that is unfortunate, but at least it's not as bad as is assumed. Since it was removed though I'm inclined to believe there are other elements in play.

The letter was NOT sent to retailers. It was pulled at the last minute. The pulled article on ICV2 reflects the bleak situation as of last Friday, but things have changed since then and I'm sure ADV was hoping they could rectify the situation before too much of this became public and caused a panic. We have dutifully stayed quiet awaiting an outcome, but now the cat's out of the bag.

I would advise everyone to stay calm until we get the official word from ADV. Take a breath, go have a drink.

Bob (aka Robert)
www.animecornerstore.com
gomfedj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Dang, and I was really hoping this was just an IT screw up....

Interesting thing about that article, it seems SOMEONE is doing serious damge/information control, even the google cache version of the press release that "never was". ihas been pulled.... (not sure i have ever seen that one happen before)

wonder what is actually going on behind the scene here with Sojitz/ADV.
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if ADV has been trying to renegotiate with Sovitz by freeing up some cash through the closings and reduced cost of PiQ v. NewType and etc.

I also wonder why I (we?) enjoy the rampant speculation so much.

Is anybody other than Right Stuf doing the ADV selloff? If I remember right, there were a couple of other folks involved in the Geneon deal last time. Or maybe that was the first big ADV sale? Somebody will know.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I am going ****ing insane here, first some bad, then some good/ bad speculation, then some very bad, then some we don't know( and according to shawne on aod, good news).
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Well my optimism has run out. This does not bode well.

I'm one of the people who thinks that the epic fail of the industry will teach a huge lesson to all of them. Things will disappear and the fandom will be bleek but then it will rise again. Not to the same glory but now better and learned a lesson. Or so I hope and predict.

Anyway I think if a company goes downs it's their fault for either not adapting to the new ways and running their company like it's 95. The consumers are a minor fault because in the end it's all the company.

Needless to say this slightly saddens me. My Gurren Lagann......I need you baby.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
My Gurren Lagann......I need you baby.

quoted for damn truth.
Egret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Even if worst comes to worst, even if ADV has to reorder things or go silent for awhile (because I'm not ready yet to say that it's going under), even if we end up without our much-awaited new titles...it's not like anime's going to cease to exist. Fifteen years ago, it was almost impossible to get ahold of your favorite tapes unless you "knew somebody." We're spoiled now, with instant online resources, news updates, and anime sections at every Borders.

The anime industry is suffering right now, yes. I don't think any of us can deny that anymore. But things have been worse before, and sooner or later, things will be better again. So show some character. Support the industry in the ways that you can by giving them the benefit of the doubt, withholding blame until you know all the facts, and buying anime legally when you can afford it (money or time-wise).

Lord knows I wish that "5 Centimeters" wasn't on that list--I've been waiting for that to come out since Shinkai announced that he was making a new film. But I like ADV, and I know that it's in their best interests, business-wise, to work out what they can. And so, as much as it pains me, I'll wait. *twiddles thumbs*
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
While I am waiting for official word, things like this make me reluctant to start buying ANY series disc to disc. Luckily when Geneon went under, Saiunkoku was the only thing I was buying from them as a single release. And, luckily, I don't have any uncompleted shows from ADV. I'll be sad if I can't see the rest of Red Garden (which I'm renting from Netflix), but at least I won't have invested money in discs. I was planning on buying Code Geass and Ouran High School Host Club (not from ADV) in the future disc to disc, but now I'm rethinking this. The same thing goes for Death Note, which I was planning to start buying, but now I might wait for a set. Confused
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm still gonna buy those death note dvd's simply cause I want the figures and I'll continue with what is already started( if I can ) which isn't that much but I am going to be more cautious in the future, though I already said that. Gurren Lagann is tempting though if these all turns out ok.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Well if worst comes to worst I would just like to thank ADV for doing the same thing Geneon did by licensing a whole bunch of titles then stopping halfway through. And the ones that haven't come out yet will no doubt be in licensing hell forever. If they were in any kind of trouble, the very least they could have done is only license a handful of titles that were sure fire money makers instead of being a kid in a candy store only to find out they have no money at the register. And don't give me they didn't know. They licensed an ass-load of titles this year.

Real high-class operation your running there guys. If this turns out to be the beginning of the end for you guys, way to bow out gracefully.

phoenixphire24 wrote:
The same thing goes for Death Note, which I was planning to start buying, but now I might wait for a set.

Death Note is actually one of the few that it is still safe to buy disc to disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manji13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I found a snapshot of the article posted by ICv2 which was pulled soon after it was posted. Just in case anyone wanted to see it, here it is.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Support the industry in the ways that you can by giving them the benefit of the doubt, withholding blame until you know all the facts, and buying anime legally when you can afford it (money or time-wise).

Sorry for sounding selfish/egotistic, but for the consumers, it's the companies/industry's job to convince them that they're going to recieve a full series when it's been licensed. It's capitalism; the consumers are only willing to give to a market as much as it's willing to offer.

Keeping everything in secret is also going to make things worse for them in the long run than saying it promptly. I highly doubt that people will be willing to give anyone the benefit of doubt in turbulant times like this as they don't have any actual obligation to do so, ESPECIALLY IF THE COMPANIES THEMSELVES AREN'T DOING A FAVOR BY SPEAKING UP. While people will still buy their full collections, I don't think the consumers will have much guilt downloading fansubs or *gasp* buying Chinese bootlegs of their unreleased shows! I'm quite suprised that the Japanese companies don't take this into consideration when pulling support from the R1 industry, especially when they are the ones that urged foreign fans to dump their fansubs.

Last edited by grgspunk on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hurrijak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that Sgt. Frog wasnt on the list of titles that were suspended. Does this mean we still have a chance of getting it on DVD? I would think it's a title that could actually make some money for ADV, especially with all the merchandising ops(You just know the Sergeant, Giroro & the rest of the crew would clean house at Hot Topic or what have you).
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Manji13 wrote:
I found a snapshot of the article posted by ICv2 which was pulled soon after it was posted. Just in case anyone wanted to see it, here it is.

OT here for a bit but I wonder what program they used to capture that with? I made some png's as well (wanted proof if someone started claiming it was never online) but I had to take five or so screen captures to get the entire article.

Back to the topic - I have taken several breaks today and am about to take another one to see if the Sonic is still open (I'm hungry for a Chocolate Sunday). Personally, I don't think this is really going to be much better when I get back but it is nice to get away from the computer for a while Smile .
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
go have a drink.

Way ahead of you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 20