• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gomfedj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I may not be 100% up to speed on the Genon problems (is anyone here actually 100% sure what happened? honestly???), and I KNOW i am not 100% up to speed on what is happening with ADV, but it seems like with both companies everyone is more than happy to blame Genon and (perhaps!) ADV... by the sounds of things this looks like a "yank" of funding by an outside investor, or a disagreement on the direction their funding was going.

I do not know how many people here have worked at companies where it is common to get injections of outside investment cash, or joint partnerships, but things like this happen all the time in reality.

One day business is going along as normal, next there is a disagreement of the direction things are going, or the lack of profit, or the funding company suddenly runs into troubles outside your business completely. In the end often funding is lost at the last minute, or agreed upon payments are not made, and contracts/agreements end up being renegotiated or simply "out" clauses are put into effect.

I honestly do not fault Genon OR (if it happens) ADV, for suddenly having to cut off ongoing series/releases. I guess having worked at a company where we went from 125 employee’s to 55 in 1 day (and I was one of the ones NOT there the next day), I know how these things can happen. The companies are doing the BEST they can, and trying to stay alive in a market (and economy) that is experiencing trouble. BTW yes, I am in the same boat as many of you, that I had several Genon series, and heck I was purchasing and/or looking forward to MANY of the series that vanished off ADV’s website.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that, it these companies did NOT know more than 60-90 days in advance that ANYTHING was wrong or GOING to go wrong, but when they did know what are they suppose to do? Announce that maybe what your watching/buying isn’t going to be completed? That would be commercial suicide for that series and just about guarantee that problems are GOING to happen, that might have been avoidable.

I am just disappointed by all the “hate” being put out towards what happened with Genon and also ADV and the “threats” of fansubs/pirating/downloading or what ever you want to call it today.

Realize that you may be out a series that you were watching, but know also that someone else that is (more than likely) an Anime fan as well, may be out of a job when these things happen, and give a little more understanding to the companies.

(sorry just had to vent that after reading all the Genon threads several months ago, and now seeing an echo of so many things in this thread)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
You have overreactions and underreactions. People don't want to recognize that a rampant problem with consumer apathy may be to blame. It's simply easier to blame the company, although it's plain to see it's not so simple; ya don't need an economics degree to know that, but it helps in my case. It's not even worth discussing, people will always pass the blame to someone else; consumers are notorious for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
gomfedj wrote:
I am just disappointed by all the “hate” being put out towards what happened with Genon and also ADV and the “threats” of fansubs/pirating/downloading or what ever you want to call it today.

I agree.
This hate isn't helping anything. The industry needs support right now, otherwise we'll be reading about the difficulties of other R1 companies in a few months. During such difficult times, we're bound to suffer loss- some shows may not be completed, etc.
Still, if we learn to correct our own mistakes as consumers, then we can have a hand in making sure this doesn't happen again.
It's like hitting your kid after he falls off his bike. Instead of getting angry at him, help him up. Lessons will be learned, and things will run more smoothly after such.
( Shocked Wow. I'm sorry, I just realized how bad an analogy that was.)
AnimeFanboy1982

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
go have a drink.

Way ahead of you!

Already on my first one!

In all seriousness though, nobody outside of ADV's higher ups know anything concrete about this current situation at all. As such, placing all of the blame on one single entity for what right now could be anything from restructuring, to closing down, to someone's insane idea of viral marketing (this one is a joke) is not only unfounded, but extremely childish. If the worst case scenario does come about, then it came about through various different paths including, but no limited to, piracy, caution/fear on the parts of foreign partners/shareholders, and the current state of the economy as a whole (my stocks as well as my families have fluctuated so much lately that I no longer have any clue where I am in the grand scheme of things). In the end we all need to remember that this is still a niche market that involves risk on the consumer's part. Everyone knows this when they enter the game. Yes, it's angering (I'm currently staring at six unfinished Geneon series), but I love anime and I will continue to support the hobby and art form I love as best I can and in any way I can.

I'll wrap this up with the one thing we should keep in perspective. There is always the chance that there could very soon be quite a few people looking for new jobs while trying to figure out how to support their families at the same time. Think about them first.

Last edited by AnimeFanboy1982 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Is all I have to say. I hope they don't go under. And I hope they somehow get Kanon finished. It's currently the only series I'm collecting from ADV.

Luckily there's only 1 volume out, so if they do go under I won't be too pissed. But I am deeply saddened that another anime company looks like it's about to bite the dust. Sad Sad Sad Sad

Here's hoping Bandai and Funimation stay alive. I really want Shuffle and Lucky star. Confused
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Bunchuu of Chouka wrote:
During such difficult times, we're bound to suffer loss- some shows may not be completed, etc.
Still, if we learn to correct our own mistakes as consumers, then we can have a hand in making sure this doesn't happen again.

Yes there is no need for "hate". I'm not even sure how that applies in this case. But if Geneon was any indicator, than it must be the consumers fault, not ADVs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, this definitely doesn't sound like an issue of ADV "going under," but an issue that they had with someone they were partnered with to license shows.

Now, if all of those shows end up going on hiatus, that certainly can't be good, but it would be the hiatus causing the financial problems and not the other way around if that happened.

Luckily, Robert seems to suggest that things have gotten better, and ADV may just be holding off on a comment until they get everything squared away. May drive us crazy, but they probably don't want to comment until things are finished, which is understandable.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Bunchuu of Chouka wrote:
During such difficult times, we're bound to suffer loss- some shows may not be completed, etc.

Yes there is no need for "hate". I'm not even sure how that applies in this case. But if Geneon was any indicator, than it must be the consumers fault, not ADVs.

It's not as simple as that. It's a multitude of cases working together to create huge shitstorm: Consumer apathy and over-reliance on fansubs, Geneon's lack of advertising and mainstream titles in their lineup, Japanese companies overcharging Geneon for license acquisition fees, and of course, Dentsu forcefully ejecting Geneon from the distribution deal with ADV as well as from the US market altogether.

Last edited by grgspunk on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I've checked with various retailers, both "big box" and specialty, as well as distributors. No one has received that letter.

It doesn't exist... yet.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Here's a thought and I know it might be wrong but here goes.

If ADV leaves then Media Blasters, Funi, Bandai Ent., Bandai Vis, Viz and Animeigo will remain. We will still have six runners in the circle although one is small and lesser known and one is the bastard stepfather.

Here's my theory. Less competition might help things. I don't know, I'm probably wrong. Maybe a less saturated market will keep the bubble from bursting? Maybe less companies can result in a new renaissance of the industry.

Then again I'm half sleep right now and my theory could be bull. Any insight? I guess I'm trying to put a good spin on another anime company going down.

If ADV leaves although it's huge we still have six more companies to get our fix. Maybe one of them will bring our Gurren Lagann and 5cm. That's another pipe dream though.

tempest wrote:
I've checked with various retailers, both "big box" and specialty, as well as distributors. No one has received that letter.

It doesn't exist... yet.
Thank for the stats.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
To all of you spouting off such lines as "They have no right at all to not finish their releases," or "I'll never buy another single again until the whole series is out," let me ask this of you: how many of you downloaded said titles well before they were licensed? If that's the case, what are you really losing by a series being dropped halfway through? I know it's admittedly discouraging to have half of a series on DVD and know that you'll probably never see the rest released, but does this change the fact that you downloaded the entire series in the first place? Do whole series worth of video files magically disappear from your hard drive as soon as you purchase the first volume? If you only wind up with three disks out of a possible six, then hey, at least that's half a series you own, and that's better than nothing; no one's stopping you from continuing to watch the rest of it via what you downloaded. And if you are one of the people who didn't download the series beforehand and were watching it via the DVDs, well, if worst comes to worst, you can always go out there and get what you're missing. There's never a 100% guarantee that any series you start buying will be released in its entirety; if there was, then I'd be able to have the entire red jacket Lupin series in my possession instead of just half of it. The company isn't doing anything at all illegal or questionable by not being able to release the rest of the volumes; that's just the unfortunate way that business works sometimes, and you're still better off than when you started.

In any case, we don't know enough at this point to either go into panic mode or breathe a sigh of relief, so the best thing to do is wait and watch. I was very much looking forward to buying Gurren-Lagann myself, even though I've only gotten around to watching a third of it. I'll keep hoping that its release does go through, but either way, I'll keep holding on to my other source.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
how many of you downloaded said titles well before they were licensed? If that's the case, what are you really losing by a series being dropped halfway through?

Portability, extras, and a dub, plus support for the industry.

Top Gun wrote:
Do whole series worth of video files magically disappear from your hard drive as soon as you purchase the first volume?

I don't know about anyone else, but yes, I tend to delete series once they become licensed to save hard drive space.

Top Gun wrote:
In any case, we don't know enough at this point to either go into panic mode or breathe a sigh of relief, so the best thing to do is wait and watch.

I can fully agree with that. Well, I don't agree with the "they are OBLIGATED to release the entire series" thing either, but I just wanted to respond to a couple of the points you made.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's Nozomi and ImaginAsian too, so that leaves 8.
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
To all of you spouting off such lines as "They have no right at all to not finish their releases," or "I'll never buy another single again until the whole series is out," let me ask this of you: how many of you downloaded said titles well before they were licensed? If that's the case, what are you really losing by a series being dropped halfway through? I know it's admittedly discouraging to have half of a series on DVD and know that you'll probably never see the rest released, but does this change the fact that you downloaded the entire series in the first place? Do whole series worth of video files magically disappear from your hard drive as soon as you purchase the first volume?

watching anime on a 52 inch HDTV > computer screen. And thats all I gotta say about that. hehe :p
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk:

I was going for the licensing everything like it isn't the responsibility of the company angle. And was being sarcastic, but whatever.

If there teaching kids these days that biting off more than you can chew, without regards to possible financial partner pullout, and becoming insolvent is okay. Than I don't know what to say I guess. Anime dazed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 20