• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation to re-release Ergo Proxy.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I noticed ANN hadn't yet made an official news article about this yet, so I'm posting it here. If one of the moderators would like to move this to another topic, please do so. I apologize if I'm breaking any rules.

But yes, after being out of print for a few years, FUNimation is finally going to re-release the sci-fi cyberpunk classic Ergo Proxy in an Anime Classics collection.

The official trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjTPHVz6OOg

Not only am I excited about this show getting a re-release, but this also means that the Geneon merger is hopefully coming to an end. What with Hellsing: Ultimate 5's dub currently in production, as well as talks of Black Lagoon and Lain blurays, I think this year might just turn out well for FUNimation after all.

....Fingers crossed. Confused
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope there is a Blu-Ray release of Ergo Proxy in the future....It's the one Blu-Ray release I've been wanting for a loong, loooong time.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's good to see this awesome series making a comeback since it's one of my favorites. I personally, already own it, but it's great that more people will get to see it now. I also hope this means some of the other Geneon title rescues are out of deadlock now too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Love this show. I hesitate a little bit to recommend it because I can see how some people might not dig it, but it worked for me. (There are some boring bits of tedious philosophizing and I can't pretend I understood everything that was going on, but still...)
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Vracer111 wrote:
I sure hope there is a Blu-Ray release of Ergo Proxy in the future....It's the one Blu-Ray release I've been wanting for a loong, loooong time.

I agree, I'd buy that day 1, even though the Geneon dvds already look pretty darn good. Smile
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
and I can't pretend I understood everything that was going on

Me too. That's what re-watching is for. And if it still doesn't make sense? Well, I'm learning to accept some flaws, but the ending has to be decent for me to consider a series to be decent. And I think Ergo Proxy is a great series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Don't know if a BD release would do any favors to Ergo Proxy. It had a good ending, one that you'd think would be good for a sequel.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
It also works good as a stand alone ending too. spoiler[Since you definitely get the impression that Vincent and company aren't exactly thrilled about them, their friends and family being used as human guinea pigs to determine if the planet can support life again and will probably do something about it.] A sequel would be righteous though.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy was really more of a cult series. Highly rated, but still cult. That Funimation is even re-releasing it is actually somewhat surprising to me.

I highly doubt that it would ever spawn another season and honestly, the ending, while seemingly open to the possibility of continuation, had the curious effect of making me prefer that they leave the futures of the surviving characters to the imagination.*

*Not that I wouldn't totally jizz myself and flock to it.
APPLE 01 DOJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I own the original releases so I'm hoping for a blu-ray rerelease. I would swoop on that in a heart beat.

...and what's this about Lain blu-rays? another one of my favorite series I would love to upgrade.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
APPLE 01 DOJ wrote:
I own the original releases so I'm hoping for a blu-ray rerelease. I would swoop on that in a heart beat.

...and what's this about Lain blu-rays? another one of my favorite series I would love to upgrade.

The Lain blu-rays have been around in Japan for a few years. Long enough for me to have given up on them being licensed.
Kovaelin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Is this the first release they'll be doing with a dub?
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
My feelings are mixed for this news. I watched the series awhile ago and somewhat enjoyed it. But to buy the DVDS? Hmm, my mind is saying otherwise atm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Kovaelin wrote:

It was dubbed when Geneon released it almost 6 years ago... I'm sure FUNimation will carry it over.

Stark700 wrote:
My feelings are mixed for this news. I watched the series awhile ago and somewhat enjoyed it. But to buy the DVDS? Hmm, my mind is saying otherwise atm.

Wow, that's great. Your feelings are dead in the center of neutral between joyous and saddened. You somewhat enjoyed the series, which leads us to believe you like it, but your posting in this thread just to say you won't buy it, which contradicts the assumption that you ever liked it in the first place? That's awesome.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Kovaelin wrote:
It was already dubbed and it was a pretty darn good one at that imho. I really don't see Funi redubbing it. I own the originals, but I would probably double dip for Blu-ray if they did release it. Does anyone know if it was ever released in Japan on BD?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3