• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kokoro Connect Staff Issues Statements on Performer's Treatment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing, chances are very good that the agency for Ichiki DID know it was all a stunt.

In Japan talent is almost always arranged through the appropriate windows, in this case the agency. The production committee cannot simply go directly to the talent for favors.

And like you said, it would seem very weird if the agency wouldn't come in to defend one of its talents unless they were in on it. However there's no reason that they would necessarily inform Ichiki of it, especially if it was designed to be one of those "punked" style pranks. It's up the agency to tell him what's going on, and if they felt he'd give a better performance by being genuinely shocked, that's their decision. They probably did not expect the harshness of it, but by then it would be too late to stop it, as that would essentially be cancelling their gig.

This happens a lot on the more garden variety "Variety" shows with their celebrity talent. Those guys are frequently humiliated on TV, sometimes on a daily basis. It's part of their job though and they play those "roles" willingly. Here we're intersecting with the high pressure "celeb"-style seiyuu world and this is the result when you cross the line with the hard-core fans.

I think this was an attempt at a style of promotion that was mishandled massively and done by people not familiar with the light-touch necessary. I'm not sure I believe anyone was being purposefully cruel, but rather that they were playing their roles too seriously.

In other words, Ichiki's reaction was most likely real, but I don't believe that the people doing the bullying were doing anything more than playing their assigned parts in too realistic a fashion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Here's the thing, chances are very good that the agency for Ichiki DID know it was all a stunt.

In Japan talent is almost always arranged through the appropriate windows, in this case the agency. The production committee cannot simply go directly to the talent for favors.

And like you said, it would seem very weird if the agency wouldn't come in to defend one of its talents unless they were in on it. However there's no reason that they would necessarily inform Ichiki of it, especially if it was designed to be one of those "punked" style pranks. It's up the agency to tell him what's going on, and if they felt he'd give a better performance by being genuinely shocked, that's their decision. They probably did not expect the harshness of it, but by then it would be too late to stop it, as that would essentially be cancelling their gig.

This happens a lot on the more garden variety "Variety" shows with their celebrity talent. Those guys are frequently humiliated on TV, sometimes on a daily basis. It's part of their job though and they play those "roles" willingly. Here we're intersecting with the high pressure "celeb"-style seiyuu world and this is the result when you cross the line with the hard-core fans.

I think this was an attempt at a style of promotion that was mishandled massively and done by people not familiar with the light-touch necessary. I'm not sure I believe anyone was being purposefully cruel, but rather that they were playing their roles too seriously.

In other words, Ichiki's reaction was most likely real, but I don't believe that the people doing the bullying were doing anything more than playing their assigned parts in too realistic a fashion.
Or they took the bait hook, line, and sinker. Wink
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I'm having a feeling that this show, Kokoro Connect, will have a very hard time selling well, let alone being able to make to the U.S. and [possibly] beyond, due to this grand fallout between the anime staff and the voice actor that was presumably the victim of the staff's terrible publicity stunt. This is a performance the staff of Kokoro Connect should've never attempted from the start. Neutral
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Sentai's already licensed it, so I don't think it'll affect any area they grabbed the rights for. If I had to guess, the loss of revenue on the Japanese release would probably push them to let licensees be more aggressive about their schedules and accept lower minimum guarantees since there's much less of the home market to cannibalize.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
There's no such thing as bad publicity. Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

There is a medium like anime, where the fans have a lot more power over what gets made. Simply 1000 fans being turned off by this can turn a moderately successful anime into a failure. That likely will happen with Kokoro Connect.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

There is a medium like anime, where the fans have a lot more power over what gets made. Simply 1000 fans being turned off by this can turn a moderately successful anime into a failure. That likely will happen with Kokoro Connect.
If that happens to this then it ain't about the anime, it's all about the VA's who acted for it. Those fans might throw their toys out of their prams, but the fans of the anime will still watch it. The other's will simple have to get over themselves.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah, except that in this case the publicity was, in fact, demonstrably bad.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah, but now lots more people know about kokoro connect. Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah, but they aren't buying it, which is all that matters for late night anime. Is just a commercial that nobody buys the product thats selling then.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah, but they aren't buying it, which is all that matters for late night anime. Is just a commercial that nobody buys the product thats selling then.
That has yet to be determined. It's only being streamed at present so what's to buy with that? This is looking more like a storm in a tea cup.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

That has yet to be determined. It's only being streamed at present so what's to buy with that? This is looking more like a storm in a tea cup.

I'm talking about in Japan. Its preorder rankings have tanked since the scandal began, and its dropped from about 3500 projected sales to down to 2300 now (and still falling). Thats a lot of lost money.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Are you talking about US sales? Thats completely and totally irrelevant.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
This scandal will likely not affect the US release.

However, in Japan... Rolling Eyes Second season is so not happening.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm talking about in Japan. Its preorder rankings have tanked since the scandal began, and its dropped from about 3500 projected sales to down to 2300 now (and still falling). Thats a lot of lost money.
Potentially yes, and so was I. It's still early doors yet. Preorders are much too fluid to take as concrete signs of potential profit, or loss and what goes down can just as well go up again after the initial feury blows clear and people return to their senses again. But then again the target audience does appear to be a stormy sea of angst, but with any potential it's no guarrantee it will actually happen. We have to wait and see. I agree though that should this get licensed outside of Japan it will still sell to those who desire it. A PR stunt that got misinterpreted? A flash in a pan really. The finished product is still the same. Again they just need to get over themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7