• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noitamina Garners Timeslot's Lowest Rating to Date

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Aww, that's a shame. I'd found this season's Noitamina block to be one of my favorites...
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Fractale's already over with?! Man.... Evil or Very Mad
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
No, both shows aired on time so that wouldn't be the cause. And I'm confused, he isn't blaming the shows for the low ratings or the earthquakes for disrupting everyone's lives but blaming himself as the producer? Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't the producer, you know, have something to do with the production of the shows, ie, he's kinda blaming himself for the shows not being so great and therefore, blaming the shows? Is it just so hard to say "due to a couple of different things yes we had a horrible turn-out this week"? Don't even see what there is to apologize for I mean, noitaminA doesn't get very high viewings to start with (as I understand) because of it's timeslot...
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
It's a very Japanese thing to take personal responsibility for the "failing" of a project, and a very show-biz thing to not blame the show's subject matter or quality, so as not to insult the people who worked so hard on it.

Don't read too much into it.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Fractale's already over with?! Man.... Evil or Very Mad

This was known before the season began.

I'm not surprised with Noitamina's low ratings. Fractale is really average or even sub-part for a Noitamina show unless the ending really surprises everyone in a good way. Hourou Musuko lost a lot of attention, particularly from manga readers after starting off in the middle of the manga. We can only hope that they animate their end of the middle school years and beginning high school years in the future as things get a tad more interesting.

To be honest, in the past year the only show I've really enjoyed watching on Noitamina recently is Shiki. Tatami was good but nowhere near having enough rewatch value. Five Leaves was straight up boring and the ratings reflected that. Kuragehime fell flat on its face in the finale despite a strong start.

Looking back a couple years, there were really only a select few of shows really worth rewatching in the Noitamina slot and given how few shows already air in the slot, it's not really a surprise anymore.

I'll do a quick run through:
Antique Bakery: bad and too genre specific
Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales: decent, but only good if you've seen Mononoke.
Eden of the East - no one watching after the disastrous two movies
Fractale: good, but average.
Genji Monogatari Sennenki: better off looking at the original painting. Budget for this show seems incredibly low too for a Noitamina show.
Hakaba Kitarō: good, but not for everyone.
Hataraki Man: started okay, but really fell apart afterwards
Honey and Clover: probably the best on this list
Honey and Clover II: see above
Hourou Musuko: lost a lot of viewers after starting off in the middle of the manga.
House of Five Leaves: straight up boring. Ratings reflected this.
Jyu Oh Sei: decent but not great.
Kūchū Buranko: good, but not a show for everyone.
Kuragehime: great start, bad ending.
Library War: Consistently good all the way through.
Mononoke: Like Kuchu Buranko, good but not for everyone.
Paradise Kiss: essentially the start of the Noitamina slot. A classic and decent show.
Shiki: One of the better shows to date. Would likely suit a wider audience.
Tales of Agriculture: good, but not for everyone.
(The) Tatami Galaxy: good, but not for everyone.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: decent, but little rewatch value...and the whole spoiler[illusion bs really killed the show for me at least.]

To be honest, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Noitamina shows: C and Ano Hana are both this spring and it's been a while since I've put Noitamina shows, let alone 2 at the top of favored list (Shiki was on top in the summer though). No info on Usagi Drop, which is supposedly this summer and by I.G. No.6 is also having limited info but something that looks promising this summer. It's by Bones.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
What? Are you serious? I haven't watched much Noitamina shows except Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, but I think Fractale and Wandering son are awesome! You'd think with Wandering Son the ratings would spike a bit. I'm just hoping Noitamina doesn't go down the drain within the next year or so. I want to see Anohana and Bunny Drop!
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
noitaminA doesn't get very high viewings to start with (as I understand) because of it's timeslot...

Some Noitamina shows like Nodame Cantabile and Mononoke have been among the highest-rated late-night anime telecasts of the past half-decade. As far as I can tell from looking at the ratings, the decline began around the time of Kuuchuu Buranko (aka Trapeze). Much as I enjoyed Nakamura's Bakeneko and Mononoke, I didn't find his Trapeze nearly as compelling. I'm holding out hope that he and his team will come roaring back with C when it airs next month.

Speculation about Noitamina's loss of appeal has been a recent topic of discussion on some forums (that I can't link to here). My opinion is that Fuji has rather abandoned its original target audience of non-otaku, college-educated adult women, the Hataraki Man audience if you will. Kuragehime is an interesting example. It has the adult characters, but they're all otaku stereotypes. From the sales figures I've seen (~700 copies for the first disc), neither the non-otaku nor the otaku audience felt compelled to add this to their collections.

What's disturbing is that, now, even when Noitamina runs programs more akin to its origins like House of Five Leaves or Tatami Galaxy they no longer attract the same audiences. Noitamina just doesn't appear to have the same "buzz" it did five or so years ago. I'm not sure it can recover.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't tell me that they were all watching the incest show and Rio instead. C'mon Japan Rolling Eyes . Yeah, Fractale is nothing great, but it was still better than most of this current season.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
This was just a bad season for Anime period. Some people simply did not have time for late-night Anime due to all of the things that went on.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
This was just a bad season for Anime period. Some people simply did not have time for late-night Anime due to all of the things that went on.

These shows weren't doing well by Noitamina standards before the earthquake hit.
soft-n-fluffy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Wandering Son, at least.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Don't tell me that they were all watching the incest show and Rio instead. C'mon Japan Rolling Eyes . Yeah, Fractale is nothing great, but it was still better than most of this current season.

No, they're watching (well now waiting on) Madoka Magica. Neutral
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally I have no interest whatsoever for either of the shows this time around, though I enjoyed nearly all of the other ones from earlier seasons. Even last season I was on the fence with Kuragehime by the end of it.

Hopefully they pick things back up and get higher ratings next time around, the upcoming series they have listed sound like they have pretty good potential.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
noitaminA doesn't get very high viewings to start with (as I understand) because of it's timeslot...

Some Noitamina shows like Nodame Cantabile and Mononoke have been among the highest-rated late-night anime telecasts of the past half-decade. As far as I can tell from looking at the ratings, the decline began around the time of Kuuchuu Buranko (aka Trapeze). Much as I enjoyed Nakamura's Bakeneko and Mononoke, I didn't find his Trapeze nearly as compelling. I'm holding out hope that he and his team will come roaring back with C when it airs next month.

Speculation about Noitamina's loss of appeal has been a recent topic of discussion on some forums (that I can't link to here). My opinion is that Fuji has rather abandoned its original target audience of non-otaku, college-educated adult women, the Hataraki Man audience if you will. Kuragehime is an interesting example. It has the adult characters, but they're all otaku stereotypes. From the sales figures I've seen (~700 copies for the first disc), neither the non-otaku nor the otaku audience felt compelled to add this to their collections.

What's disturbing is that, now, even when Noitamina runs programs more akin to its origins like House of Five Leaves or Tatami Galaxy they no longer attract the same audiences. Noitamina just doesn't appear to have the same "buzz" it did five or so years ago. I'm not sure it can recover.

Nodame was not originally broadcasted on Noitamina. I think it was under Anime no Kakera (correct me if I'm mistaken).

Noitamina needs to get one thing right: it's style of works. For the past few season, the Noitamina slot has been going to shows like Tatami Galaxy, House of Five Leaves, and Mononoke, all of which have a very unique art style compared to many shows today and certainly welcome in my book. However, it clearly isn't working and from I'm seeing now, Noitamina is shifting that focus towards the general trend. Shows like No. 6, Shiki, and Ano Hana contain character designs and art styles that audience nowadays are more familiar with and I think Noitamina is really trying to adjust to that. Fractale and Hourou Musuko are starting points, but for those two, they lack any really interesting material and the anime adaptation "changes" the source material. I'm sure many people gave Fractale a start but were turned away due to its poor plot pacing or it moe-fied character design especially when they change a majority of the original work. Heck Hourou Musuko has a similar problem with starting in the middle as I stated before. In essence, both these shows lost viewers before the season even started compared to Shiki last summer.

I think Noitamina is making producers try too hard to be different. They become really focused on being unique but give up other qualities of a "good work" as a trade-off. I personally don't think time slots should affect it that much. It definitely has some impact, but should not be as significant as to what types of shows are being shown. Either way, Noitamina has a huge chance to make a comeback in the upcoming season. From what I'm seeing at the moment, many of the "regular" shows next season don't look too good or are way overhyped *cough*deadmanwonderland*cough* I'd say Gintama 2 or Kaiji 2 are the two big stars of the next season along with possibly Stein's;Gate and Aria the Scarlet Ammo.
Then you have Nichijou and A Channel which are essentially even more boring than Lucky Star. Everything else is up in the air like Maria Holic Alive, Blue Exorcist, Azazel-san, Hen Zemi, Toriko, etc...

Quote:

Fractale was never good to begin with. It had a lot of potential until the first episode hit.
If you're looking for something good this season, Madoka and Gosick are really the only choices. Everything else is mixed or bad. Kimi ni Todoke, Mitsudomoe 2, Level E, and Hourou Musuko unfortunately fall into the mixed category.
Also, am I missing something about the incest show?

As for shows that "carried over," really only Index 2 and Tegami Bachi Reverse are good. Star Driver has kinda hit the road block. Bakuman is average. Everything else is satisfactory or below.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloud668

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't blame the content of the shows. Both Fractale and Wandering Son are rather nice shows compared to most other shows this season. Aside the earthquake, the other shows that air at the same time as Wandering Son, such as IS (in Tokyo, at least), may also be a reason for its low rating. I mean, Wandering Son is nice, but most otaku are probably more likely to find themselves tuning into that instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5