• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Warner Presents Pacific Rim's del Toro With Madoka Magica Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
And yet, I enjoyed it. "Baaawww my giant robots fighting Godzilla monsters movie wasn't psychologically traumatic or realistic enough for me! It should have been grimdark and full of suffering!" is basically your point, hyperbole included, yes?

How about, it's a movie featuring enormous robots punching monsters, and you have a serious lack of how stories can possess different tones for what they're trying to accomplish. I would say Pacific Rim had some issues, but mostly related to character interaction between fights, and that all of the battles either take place at night or in water. It's not a smart film from narrative view, and it was never intended to be, it doesn't have a shred of pretense.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
Madoka sounds like one of the worst possible things to adapt. The whole magical school girl trope isn't widely known/popular outside of Japan and if it is known is considered for children. Little girls fighting and dying is a big no-no as is. If it was adapted, it wouldn't be a big budget adaptation, it would be a small horror movie style adaptation.

Put another way, DBZ is like the 2nd biggest anime franchise in the west and look how much they ruined that. No way is some obscure show with a plot that's radically different to anything people are used to seeing gonna get a lot of money/effort put in it.

If you want something adapted Death Note, 20th Century Boys, Cowboy Bebop and Berserk(after the success of GoT we might be ready for this) are much more likely.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 am Reply with quote
Movies shouldn't be fun. They all have to be serious and dark.

Espicaily movies with racial caricatures piloting robots that reflect that all the while punching giant monsters.

And I like this critique here. It really amounts to "it's not dark so the plots bad" which is ridiculously dumb.

PR's plot is not bad. Maybe some of the actual dialogue is bad(whatever I don't care), but the plot is not bad. It does what it's supposed to, it sets the correct tone, and does not shit the bed at all. It's a plot about dudes having to use the power of teamwork to get on the saddle again and save the world. And everything in the movie works towards that plot and it does it well enough for what the movie is.

And I really don't know how this is turned into a live action Madoka thread. I don't think thats a thing that could work. Now, I for one love the idea of live action adaptions. I'm all for Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, ect getting adaptions. But none of those things strike me as something that would look silly in live action. A magical girl show just seems like something that should stay in the realm of cartoons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:
Madoka sounds like one of the worst possible things to adapt. The whole magical school girl trope isn't widely known/popular outside of Japan and if it is known is considered for children. Little girls fighting and dying is a big no-no as is. If it was adapted, it wouldn't be a big budget adaptation, it would be a small horror movie style adaptation.

Put another way, DBZ is like the 2nd biggest anime franchise in the west and look how much they ruined that. No way is some obscure show with a plot that's radically different to anything people are used to seeing gonna get a lot of money/effort put in it.

If you want something adapted Death Note, 20th Century Boys, Cowboy Bebop and Berserk(after the success of GoT we might be ready for this) are much more likely.

Magical school girl trope is already well known outside probably by anyone who watched cartoons. I thought the whole Sailor Moon series was pretty big not just the Asian Continents probably South America, too.

I agree Mahou Shoujo Puella Magika would be very hard to translate to live-action and capture that spirit of the anime. Sure, the plot could somehow be fit into the length of the movie but this series pretty much ignores the law of gravity and it is in a pretty unrealistic setting. I can't really picture a live-action actor to wear that frilly costume and act like a magical girl. Special effects would be pretty expensive too.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Even if it isn't a publicity stunt, it feel like wishful thinking on my part.

But one thing I notice consistently with all of these attempted American movie remakes like EVA, Death Note, DBZ, and Akira is that they are not remakes at all, but reimaginings of a successful Japanese franchises.

It seems to me that whenever these big studios pick one of these projects; they put there hands all over it. Try to change it; adapt it, or reimagine it. Whatever you want to call it.

I would like to see a company or director try a different approach: Instead of adapting or reimagining an already successful product; why don't they just make it exactly the way it already is. A live action, or animated, American counterpart. Whatever you wish to call it.

I'd pay money just to see if they could pull it off. I'm not saying it is an easier way at all, but I'm tired of getting my hopes up over this and being disappointed when it all falls apart. Just for a change of pace, I would love to see them try it. Challenge provides a much better motivation for creativity, and you can still have creativity even with an already existing product.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
NO. Oh my god, I don't even want to imagine it. I can't begin to understand how do people even consider this kind of thing. Dragonball: Evolution and The Last Airbender were enough for me. No more adaptations of great animated series! If Americans are willing to spend so much money just to make people angry for making a shitty adaptation, they should better use that money for charities or something...
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:

But one thing I notice consistently with all of these attempted American movie remakes like EVA, Death Note, DBZ, and Akira is that they are not remakes at all, but reimaginings of a successful Japanese franchises.

It seems to me that whenever these big studios pick one of these projects; they put there hands all over it. Try to change it; adapt it, or reimagine it. Whatever you want to call it.

I would like to see a company or director try a different approach: Instead of adapting or reimagining an already successful product; why don't they just make it exactly the way it already is. A live action, or animated, American counterpart. Whatever you wish to call it.

I'd pay money just to see if they could pull it off. I'm not saying it is an easier way at all, but I'm tired of getting my hopes up over this and being disappointed when it all falls apart. Just for a change of pace, I would love to see them try it. Challenge provides a much better motivation for creativity, and you can still have creativity even with an already existing product.

A major difference between them and Del Toro's attitude is typically that they're just selling the franchise name. They usually don't have any interest in anime/manga, nor have they usually read the source material. I think there was a controversy in the Death Note Western movie project staff as a result of some of the lower staff members getting upset when the higher staff made direct changes and I think one of them accused the higher staff of never even having read the original work--eventually actually leading to the project being revised and including the Shinigami/Death Gods, whereas they were originally going to exclude them.
Meanwhile, Del Toro is obviously a manga fan, at the very least. He's got an HBO series adaption of the "Monster" manga in the works (not yet greenlit, I don't think) and I believe he has mentioned that he's adamant about keeping it as much like the original source material as possible.

I honestly don't think he's interested in the "Magical Girl" genre, but he likes dark Superhero-type stuff, so Madoka may still be up his alley, since many of the themes carry over. At the very least, he's going to watch the movies soon enough, I suppose. =P
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

A major difference between them and Del Toro's attitude is typically that they're just selling the franchise name. They usually don't have any interest in anime/manga, nor have they usually read the source material. I think there was a controversy in the Death Note Western movie project staff as a result of some of the lower staff members getting upset when the higher staff made direct changes and I think one of them accused the higher staff of never even having read the original work--eventually actually leading to the project being revised and including the Shinigami/Death Gods, whereas they were originally going to exclude them.
Meanwhile, Del Toro is obviously a manga fan, at the very least. He's got an HBO series adaption of the "Monster" manga in the works (not yet greenlit, I don't think) and I believe he has mentioned that he's adamant about keeping it as much like the original source material as possible.

I honestly don't think he's interested in the "Magical Girl" genre, but he likes dark Superhero-type stuff, so Madoka may still be up his alley, since many of the themes carry over. At the very least, he's going to watch the movies soon enough, I suppose. =P

I'd be interested to see his take on things, for both Monster and Madoka. When dealing with franchise or a stand alone product, the biggest contribution we can add is our support. I support Del Toro fully as he tries to make this work. I support James Cameron, even as he continues to push back Alita to 'sometime after Avatar 4'. What I love more than anything is how so many of these movie icons are coming out of the woodwork to support these original Japanese productions. That is very cool, even if you do not like their other movies or particular opinions. At least the market appears to be growing.
Julliant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
NO. Oh my god, I don't even want to imagine it. I can't begin to understand how do people even consider this kind of thing. Dragonball: Evolution and The Last Airbender were enough for me. No more adaptations of great animated series! If Americans are willing to spend so much money just to make people angry for making a shitty adaptation, they should better use that money for charities or something...

Guillermo del Toro is not American. His Hellboy films were very faithful to the source material, and Pacific Rim is very close to it's inspiration.

And why are people overreacting over this? Last I checked, film directors are humans too and they can have hobbies, especially people as humble and down to earth as GDT. Just because he's holding up some DVDs doesn't mean he has intentions of making a live-action Madoka Magica film(s).
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Julliant wrote:
And why are people overreacting over this? Last I checked, film directors are humans too and they can have hobbies, especially people as humble and down to earth as GDT. Just because he's holding up some DVDs doesn't mean he has intentions of making a live-action Madoka Magica film(s).

lol The reason this is a "thing" is because of Warner Entertainment Japan's twitter post:

Quote:
"[del Toro] has a good facial expression!! It couldn't be that, in the near future, there might be a Hollywood live-action adaptation! Oh my goodness...!?"

I am in the boat that a live-action adaption of Madoka is highly unlikely, at least for the West, but... I still feel like entertaining the idea. =P
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Julliant wrote:
Guillermo del Toro is not American. His Hellboy films were very faithful to the source material, and Pacific Rim is very close to it's inspiration.

I think Japan disagrees with you with how their reception of it was. I think westerners are a bit bias when it comes to judging the quality of their works inspired by Japan anime. Fans of Last Airbender and My Little Pony think their works are perfect representations of anime and just like shonen and just like shojo anime but it seems to be the majority of Japan disagrees with this statements. People can not force their works on Japan and say its just like their work because Japan seems to say different and find fault in them. One can not truly replicate another country's work and all attempts will just be imitations no matter how much us westerners claim its superior or just as good. The masters of these shows seem to disagree and think they are not. This movie is not very close to the mecha genre it appears is the general consensus, it seems?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Julliant wrote:

I think Japan disagrees with you with how their reception of it was. I think westerners are a bit bias when it comes to judging the quality of their works inspired by Japan anime. Fans of Last Airbender and My Little Pony think their works are perfect representations of anime and just like shonen and just like shojo anime but it seems to be the majority of Japan disagrees with this statements. People can not force their works on Japan and say its just like their work because Japan seems to say different and find fault in them. One can not truly replicate another country's work and all attempts will just be imitations no matter how much us westerners claim its superior or just as good. The masters of these shows seem to disagree and think they are not. This movie is not very close to the mecha genre it appears is the general consensus, it seems?

Having deliberated Pacific Rim AND My Little Pony with a Japanese otaku friend, I've concluded that both shows carry some good deep-level influence from Japanese entertainment, but that both fail to deliver surface level comparison. That is, I was able to get him to agree that Pacific Rim had general storytelling that made it appeal more to the Japanese audience than most American films (that don't gather appeal directly from their American exotic-ness), but many "mecha otaku" like him were agast at 1) the dialogue, and 2) the visual design and how the action scenes went. He claimed they were both too "American" to capture what was best about Japanese mecha--the designs and color scheme and such. A possibility I came up with was how dreary and dark the lighting and atmosphere is most of the time, preventing the color scheme from standing out too much.
As for My Little Pony, he said that he likes it (or what I showed him) in the sense that it is more "reserved" than most Western cartoons he's seen (he's not particularly a cartoon fan, though), but it's very childish and... the characters are ponies, which are a huge turn-off and nothing like what an anime of its intent or genre would usually be like.

I want to delve into this kind of discussion further, though. I feel like our short discussion gave me ideas and theories, but I'm more interested in talking to someone more adept to contemporary Japanese storytelling than my friend is.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Julliant wrote:

Having deliberated Pacific Rim AND My Little Pony with a Japanese otaku friend, I've concluded that both shows carry some good deep-level influence from Japanese entertainment, but that both fail to deliver surface level comparison. That is, I was able to get him to agree that Pacific Rim had general storytelling that made it appeal more to the Japanese audience than most American films (that don't gather appeal directly from their American exotic-ness), but many "mecha otaku" like him were agast at 1) the dialogue, and 2) the visual design and how the action scenes went. He claimed they were both too "American" to capture what was best about Japanese mecha--the designs and color scheme and such. A possibility I came up with was how dreary and dark the lighting and atmosphere is most of the time, preventing the color scheme from standing out too much.
As for My Little Pony, he said that he likes it (or what I showed him) in the sense that it is more "reserved" than most Western cartoons he's seen (he's not particularly a cartoon fan, though), but it's very childish and... the characters are ponies, which are a huge turn-off and nothing like what an anime of its intent or genre would usually be like.

I want to delve into this kind of discussion further, though. I feel like our short discussion gave me ideas and theories, but I'm more interested in talking to someone more adept to contemporary Japanese storytelling than my friend is.

regarding pacific rim, I believe that the less prominent color scheme's and darker atmosphere of the mechs and their battles is what made it work, I do realize that at its core japanese mecha's tend to be colored as a peacock and while that works for anime, it is a bad idea for live action, it would be too much like power rangers.... or even now japan is producing a live action patlabor movie, im sorry but it looks like a giant toy, too colorful and plastic looking.

I think metal gear had the right idea for mechs, they are less traditional but at least they look like actual war machines. I guess over the top colorfull mecha arent my thing.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
I am not sure how that is a bad thing given Super Sentai's success, however. I believe Juno hit the nail on the head when it comes to why Pacific Rim wasn't a big hit in Japan. It was too dark, too rainy, too serious, too dull, and ignored everything that makes the mecha genre so fun to watch. Forgettable, bland mecha combined with the ultra serious tone spelt it out to be doomed from the start in Japan. I find it a bit misguided you can look at a genre like giant robot and not see the inherent absurdity in the premise. Japanese works embrace the absurdity of a giant bipedla robot being the most appropiate response to an alien attack and goes to town with it, which is why we love their shows and games so much. I feel America, Hollywood in particular, has yet to grasp that kind of storytelling. You would never see the Jaeger or their pilots doing something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQaTTszW3cw They still have to get over the hurdle of Jeagers using giant weapons being considered unrealistic. I feel the average American audience will think like vangelionite and dismiss anything else than what we got, more so than they already did. As sad as it is to admit it, the Transformers movies were a bit better handled, as they at least had some silly, stupid humor in them in the form of racist caricature robots and Sam's parents, though not by much I will admit. Smile

Magical girls would be an even worse genre to tackle. It comes with multiple hurdles, such as female protagonists in addition to them being underage. I find suspect how many Hollywood studios will greenlight a movie that stars a 10 year old girl in a frilly pink outfit for anything other than a children's movie. It would also have trouble keeping the overall over-the-top and absurd nature. Again, I feel any attempt at a Madoka movie would result in a horrible mangling of a genre from a western studio.

In general, mecha and magical girl are two genres America have very little experience in. There have been only a handful of cartoons in those genres, and they were as ill received as you would expect them to be and not very much like their Japanese counterparts.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit shocked that anyone took the possibility of a live action madoka magica film seriously. I cannot fathom that idea that anyone in their right mind being completely honest with themselves and reality would think that a live action madoka film would ever be produced in America. Just no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5