• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendations for children.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
They're likely hard to find nowadays, but I do recall seeing old vhs tapes of fairy tale anime retellings. Those were pretty tame for kids.
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
They're likely hard to find nowadays, but I do recall seeing old vhs tapes of fairy tale anime retellings. Those were pretty tame for kids.

as long as they are not too "disneyfied", then they might be okay
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time wasn't made to be a kids movie, but it is a great one for kids to watch. It's about a girl (Makoto) who gets the ability to jump backwards in time, and the majority of the movie has a great light-hearted feel to it, exploring the hijinks at school and at home due to the Makoto's time leaping. It has a great dub and no blood at all. Makoto does fall and bump her head almost every time she makes a time jump, but this is played for comedy and shouldn't bother even the youngest of children.
The only scary thing happens near the beginning. Makoto is riding her bike down a hill when her breaks fail. She crashes and goes flying in the air in front of a train, but that is when she discovers her ability to time leap and it is showed immediately that she is alive and fine. No blood and she comes out unscathed, so it shouldn't scare kids.
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
as long as "the scary part" isn't to sudden, that seems like a great movie for children.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
mjack_15980 wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

as long as they are not too "disneyfied", then they might be okay

I remember seeing these as a kid on Nick Jr. YEARS ago!!
I thought they were so great!! But probably very hard to find now. ;w; Check second-hand video stores.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
I think The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would be a perfectly fine film for children except for the masturbation jokes between the boys. Presumably included to make the conversation seem funny and realistic to a teen audience, it rather rules it out for children in my opinion.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone here comment on the suitability of Ga-Ra-Ku-Ta: Mr. Stain on Junk Alley for young children? I'm curious, and my internet connection sucks.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen an episode or two, and thought it was totally suitable based on what I saw. The aesthetic is grungy of course, and might frighten, I suppose.
I hope you get more responses to this. I'm curious to see what anyone who's seen it all thinks.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Was thinking recently, Superbook and Flying House are pretty kid friendly, though Superbook's first ep does include one bare breast seen a few times throughout the episode. Though them being biblical might turn a few folks off.
partysmores

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
More suggestions from me.

If they're old enough to read subtitles, they're old enough to watch Accel World. There's no particularly strong language in there (the worst thing I remember is a blurred rude gesture from one of the bad guys that kids probably won't get), and no gore either. Magazines kinda play up some of the skimpy outfits in this show, they really aren't that bad.

I'd suggest Tiger & Bunny but we'll see how that dub goes.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This has never happened to me before so I need some help here...

I just got a PM from my cousin on FB about her son who wants an anime/manga room because of Sonic and Pokémon. He also wants to come round to look at my anime collection. I've pointed out that I probably have very little things that will be of interest to him and I'll hear back about their visit. The thing is that I'm fully expecting that they'll ask me if he can borrow some of my dvds if and when he comes round, but I honestly have no idea what I could lend them.

Her son is 6 by the way (7 in March). Now obviously I won't be lending him Elfen Lied or Hellsing, but would something like Gundam be alright?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Her son is 6 by the way (7 in March). Now obviously I won't be lending him Elfen Lied or Hellsing, but would something like Gundam be alright?

Unless it is G Gundam I dont think so.I highly doubt that 7 year old kid would be interested in space opera that has cruelty of war as a main theme.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Which Gundam, do you mean Gundam Wing? I don't know if the violence is mild enough for an almost seven year old. Maybe you could show an episode to your cousin first, so she can decide. It's milder than DBZ, right? He can probably not appreciate the storyline (and won't understand the heavy war themes), but if he is already roaring with enthusiasm at the look of robots fighting, it could be a good option for him. Man, what a hard question.

Maybe a mild Ghibli film would work?
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
As A Mystery said, one of Ghibli's kid friendly movies might be your best bet. Looking through your anime list Ortensia1980, I think Castle in the Sky, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, or Porco Rosso especially would be good because of the plane fights. Summer Wars might also be good. The interesting avatars and fights with Love Machine should interest a young boy. As for series, I'm not familiar with Gundam, but possibly Fruits Basket may be worth a look? It might be a little too low key, but the fights Yuki and Kyo get into might catch his attention.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
G Gundam is one of the ones that I don't own sadly enough. I was thinking more of the first Gundam series, because what kid doesn't like giant robots? And I don't know if Gundam Wing could be considered too violent to show a kid of that age, A Mystery, but yeah, definitely milder than DBZ! I wouldn't have minded at that age (I watched Dungeons & Dragons when I was around his age which was widely considered to be too dark by many parents), but I was always a weird kid.

Ah see, I hadn't even considered those yet! I could definitely lend them those, Tris8 (I'm not sure if he'd like Fruits Basket though, but his sister might Wink )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 22