• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Daisuki Shutting Down?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Daiskuki was always lousy. I remember visiting them, when they launched. Nothing on their site interested me and the things I tried to see what the quality was weren't even available in my country. I tried their shop, too. Same thing. Not available for shipping to my country.

At this point I wondered what they were even trying to accomplish. The site felt like it wasn't even in alpha yet, the shows were all lousy and despite advertising to an international audience, nothing worked in my country.

I came back a week later. Nothing changed.

I came back six month later. Nothing. Changed.

At that point I wrote them off and forgot about it.

Later some people that knew what they were doing made the Animator Expo Project and streamed their anime just fine to my country and everything worked. That was a project done right. Daisuki wasn't. And I'm still waiting for a BD or something for AniExpo. : (
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Only depending on costs to run a streaming site with maintenance and updates versus the profits earned from the streaming revenue of another company. So unless someone has access to those numbers, it can be either case. But given the article stated their best titles went to others and the site only ran lesser known titles, well that ain't exactly a brilliant business strategy.

You know who does have access to those numbers? The companies who made these decisions. Sure it may have been a solid figure of what Crunchyroll/whoever were offering versus estimates based on existing subscriber numbers on Daisuki and how many new subscribers they think the title would generate, but that can be good enough to make a decision on, especially if the Crunchyroll number is larger than the Daisuki number by a high enough margin. Which it sounds like it was.

And even if the companies with a stake in Daisuki did want to throw everything into it exclusively with the goal of growing it for greater future profits rather than profits right now, if they're not in a majority on the production committee for a given show, they don't get their way. Whether it's a brilliant business strategy for the companies with a stake in Daisuki or not is irrelevant in that case; making X from Daisuki and Y from Crunchyroll, where X < Y, it's a poor business strategy for the rest of the production committee to choose Daisuki.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Only depending on costs to run a streaming site with maintenance and updates versus the profits earned from the streaming revenue of another company. So unless someone has access to those numbers, it can be either case. But given the article stated their best titles went to others and the site only ran lesser known titles, well that ain't exactly a brilliant business strategy.

In addition, at that point, Crunchyroll had already become a well-recognized and trusted brand name among anime fans, a lot of whom would already have subscriptions to Crunchyroll. In other words, a large portion of Daisuki's potential market has already made their decision on which company to stream anime from. Even with some middlemen cut out with Daisuki, they would've still needed to catch up to Crunchyroll in recognizability, variety, and quality (though from what people are saying here, Daisuki had Crunchyroll beat in availability).

That is, from the consumer's point of view, even without the middlemen, Daisuki is still a streaming service, and for Daisuki to succeed, a certain number of people would've needed to trust Daisuki and either watch their ads or pay for certai things for Daisuki to turn profitable. It would've been a lower number than Crunchyroll, but if they failed to turn in those numbers (which every sign points to that they didn't), it would not be as financially lucrative to show anime at Daisuki compared to Crunchyroll, which DOES bring in the numbers it wants.

In the end, anime costs money, and even if it'd cost less to put your show on Daisuki than Crunchyroll, if most of the anime fans are just ignoring Daisuki or don't know it exists, it'd be goos business sense to avoid Daisuki. Shows were placed there during its twilight because they were still hoping it could eventually turn around or because every other streaming service said no.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
With what Tempest said about Viz, how is it not necessarily a conflict of interest when Viz licenses or license rescues a non-Shueisha or Shogakukan manga title? Two such titles are "Sgt. Frog" and "Vagabond", which are respectively published by Kadokawa Shoten and Kodansha.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With what Tempest said about Viz, how is it not necessarily a conflict of interest when Viz licenses or license rescues a non-Shueisha or Shogakukan manga title? Two such titles are "Sgt. Frog" and "Vagabond", which are respectively published by Kadokawa Shoten and Kodansha.

I suppose it's like how Disney movies get shown on cable channels owned by other studios/media conglomerates. Disney Channel Asia, at least, also shows DreamWorks' animated movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3