• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GDH Int'l Head Condemns Illegal Anime Distribution

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
According to Oricon sales data, GDH's GONZO anime titles generally sell poorly in Japan. Romeo x Juliet, RED GARDEN, Burst Angel (Bakuretsu Tenshi), etc., failed to sell on DVD in Japan. Witchblade was a very mediocre seller on DVD in Japan. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo and Pumpkin Scissors were even more mediocre sellers on DVD in Japan. Recently, only Seto no Hanayome has sold halfway decently on DVD in Japan, but with really so-so sales numbers. The decently selling on DVD in Japan Last Exile seems to be largely a dream of the past.

How would Afro Samurai do in Japan? (It has not been released there on Japanese Region 2 NTSC DVD.)

In numerous animation DVD sales threads at Japan's huge 2ch forums, Japanese posters routinely ridicule GONZO for their general inability to sell their anime on DVD in Japan.

Yet many recent non-GONZO anime titles - Kanon (2006), Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Hayate no Gotoku! (Hayate the combat butler), Shakugan no Shana Movie, Lucky*Star, Negima!?, Ookiku Furikabutte, The Prince of Tennis: The National Tournament OVAs, ARIA The NATURAL, ARIA The OVA ~ARIETTA~, My-Otome, My-Otome Zwei, Mononoke Vol. 1: Zashiki Warashi, Rozen Maiden: Träumend, Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre, etc. - have managed to sell well on DVD in Japan.

As someone who has bought something as esoteric as Lantis's / GONZO's RED GARDEN Drama CD from CD Japan - I paid US$30 or so for it - Arthur Smith of GDH, please explain this.

PS. The RED GARDEN Rock Mix Drama CD is the only one of the many Japanese drama CDs, Japanese picture book CDs, and Japanese Region 2 NTSC DVDs I have which fails to list the original Japanese voice acting cast - or in the case for original non-Japanese language films, the main Japanese dub voice acting cast - on the outside cover.

Many Japanese fans believe that the Rozen Maiden anime, which is much more popular in Japan than the Rozen Maiden manga it is based on, will get a third season. It is one of a handful of anime titles guaranteed to be a surefire hit that sells on DVD in Japan. The one apparent stumbling block: the fairly well publicized conflict between Rozen Maiden manga artists PEACH-PIT and Comic BIRZ publisher Gentousha.

I'm writing strictly from memory, but I seem to recall that a few weeks ago Peach-Pit noted in their blog that, after several years since Rozen Maiden began running in the magazine, Birz Comics, published by Gentousha, finally handed them fan mail for Rozen Maiden, postmarked or dated something like July 29, 2007 and later only. They seemed happy to receive and reply to the fan mail.

Two more Rozen Maiden CDs are slated to be released in December 2007: 1) Rozen Maden Träumend Original Drama CD ~Christmas Hen~, on sale Friday, December 21, 2007; 2) and "Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i" ~"Bara no Kaori no Garden Party" Bangai Hen~ Web Radio Vol. 3 CD, on sale Wednesday, December 5, 2007.

The Rozen Maiden series have sold well on DVD in Japan, with the limited edition of Rozen Maiden Ouvertüre being the bestselling of the DVDs.

What this all means for the continuation of the Rozen Maiden manga and a third season of the Rozen Maiden anime is anyone's guess.

2007-11-12 MONDAY UPDATE

Here is the PEACH-PIT blog entry regarding Rozen Maiden fan mail.

Love is Over

Posted by Demian @ 4:21 pm, May 31st, 2007

Quote:
Both of these seem to stem from the fact that the anime was a lot more popular than the manga, leaving the editors to want the manga to be more like the anime, or Peach Pit mad at fans for liking the anime more. Hard to tell right now. Hopefully this won't be the end of Rozen Maiden, either in manga or anime form. Maybe we can have that legendary 3rd season now?

According to discussion on synthesis thread #5 regarding PEACH-PIT, Rozen Maiden and DearS on the Natsukashi Manga @ 2ch Keijiban (Nostalgic Manga @ 2ch Message Board), the popular Rozen Maiden anime had no impact on Rozen Maiden manga sales in Japan. The Rozen Maiden manga was not really that popular in Japan. It simply did not sell there.

On the other hand, the discussion continues, two other manga works by PEACH-PIT, Shugo Chara! and ZOMBIE-LOAN, are popular in Japan and are selling in Japan. Both were popular in Japan before they were animated.

Incidentally, Oricon sales data indicate that the first and second DVD volumes of the ZOMBIE-LOAN anime, limited and regular editions, have failed to sell in Japan.

Apparently the opposite situation of Rozen Maiden, the ZOMBIE-LOAN manga is popular, while the ZOMBIE-LOAN anime is unpopular.

PEACH-PIT, a Japanese fan observes, is busy with the Shugo Chara! and ZOMBIE-LOAN manga. Do they currently have the time and the incentive, one may ask, to continue the Rozen Manga manga?

Still, many in Japan feel that because of its popularity and commercial success in Japan, the Rozen Maiden anime will get a third season.

For them, it is not a question of "If?" It is a question of "When?"

And...

Released Saturday, November 10, 2007 in Japan, the December 2007 issue of Animage magazine, published by Tokuma Shoten, reportedly indicates that the January 2008 issue of Animage, slated to go on sale Monday, December 10, 2007 in Japan, will include as an extra gift an Animage original edition of "Gin-sama Chronicle 'Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i'" Internet radio CD.

The "Suigintou mo Koyoi mo Ennu~i" ("Suigintou's 'It's Ennui Again, Tonight'") Internet radio show, hosted by none other than the silver haired, black winged doll of darkness herself, Suigintou aka Gin-sama aka Rie Tanaka, has proven itself to be a popular program - popular enough, at least, to have a third CD scheduled to go on sale in Japan.

With PEACH-PIT finally receiving Rozen Maiden fan mail from Comic BIRZ and publisher Gentousha after all these years, the new Rozen Maiden ~träumend~ drama and Suigintou radio CDs going on sale in December 2007, and anime oriented Animage pushing its own CD version of the Suigintou Web radio show, a number of Japanese fans think that the Rozen Maiden manga may start up again (somewhere), and that the much more popular Rozen Maiden anime will get a third season.

Only time will tell.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
So what about those properties which they never intend to release in north america? Some of us who understand Japanese well may be willing to pay for imports, but those relying on an English translation will get their only exposure to the property through a fansub.

I'm really just saying Japanese companies need to find a better way to get their productions exposed to North American audiences, as even niche titles could develop a dedicated following. Late night anime broadcasts are free if you live in Japan and are able to purchase an antenna for reception, so how can we access these productions for free to discover new series? Advertising is fine, if that's necessary to pay for delivery.

I totally agree, but why not take your argument one step further.

I think the biggest issue here is turn around time from the original broadcast in Japan, and domestic release in the US. I remember being in Rome back in 2003 and watching episode of Saiyuki that were about a year away in the US. These episodes had already been LGALLY dubbed & subbed in Italian, and the LEGAL DVD set was already on shelves there. Notice I said DVD set and not toggled individual dvds. Rewind to Paris circa 1998-1999- DBZ GT & Kenshin were huge hits on Parisian TV. Kenshin was about midway through while I was there in 1999 and DBZ & GT were on their second & third run. Again these were LEGAL broadcasts, Anime ran right before and right after shows like Highlander The Raven etc…

So I think it’s safe to argue that the biggest ENEMY to the success of some Anime series domestically is NOT fansubbers or China town, it’s Turn around time.

What I want more than anything else as a fan is quality, fast turn around, and on-demand access to new shows. I don’t want to wait two years for a show to come out here, and I don’t want excuses about the time it takes to prep for domestic release, because it insults my intelligence. Sure the fansubers are evil –why – because they let the cat out of the bag, fans now know that it doesn’t take a month to translate 1 episode. If you are a fan that buys into the Anime industries mantra, about rogue cells of bootleggers in China hurting their bottom line, then good for you. DBZ is one of the best selling series of all time, and they are still milking it despite the availability of sub-par bootlegs. Sure Anime sales in the US were sluggish last year, but not because of Youtube or Bittorrent. Sales were sluggish because the majority of the series that were picked up stunk! And guess what, most of those shows were produced by Gonzo. If things keep going the way they are going and the industry heads in Japan realize once and for all that what fans want is on-demand access to current shows along with timely DVD releases that don’t have to include dubs to sell, then a LOT of folks will be out of a gig. The Japanese are all about profit, once they see they can make a profit by cutting out the middle man and dealing directly with the fans then… you figure it out
xstylus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Keep in mind the following about these fansubs
1) They do not cost gonzo anything directly. The copies are made on the time of those making them
2) They do not cost gonzo bandwidth/etc as putting shows on TV does.

So Gonzo pulled an Almighty and said "Let there be Hellsing," and lo it was so, right? No resources used to create it? No money spent for the animators, directors, producers, actors, and such? How are they supposed to recoup that?

If anime cost pennies to make, then it would sell for pennies. Profit to recoup that investment cannot be made at $2 an episode on sales of less than 20,000 per, unless you want to settle for scooby-doo quality animation outsourced to China.

Quote:

The theoretical tangible benefit would be the people who buy who otherwise would not have known of gonzos product without fansubs. However, I admit this is theory.

Then here we are. You can't give concrete proof that your theory is right, and we can't give you proof that satisfies you. I know I've personally quoted concrete data to you before, but you still called it too vague. You have a point of logical vulnerability roughly comparable to the tobacco industry's opinions on cigarette addiction.

Quote:

I question whether such people would EVER buy it.

There's a little concept called "demand". It relies on something called "choice" and "consequence".

In order for demand to work, it must function like this:
Choice: I don't want it. I have better things to spend my money on.
Consequence: Too bad. no video for you. Ever.
Scenario: I have a spare $20 floating around, the previews look good, and my friends say it's great. I've changed my mind. I'll buy it.
Consequence: Thank you! Sales have been good, so we'll be making a sequel soon!
Choice: Hmm. Perhaps I'll buy that too.

Your logic is this:
Choice: I don't want it. I have better things to spend my money on.
Consequence: Well, since you weren't going to buy it, here you go anyway.
Choice: Oh, okay! Then I'll take the sequels too.
Consequence: Sorry, sales were poor. We couldn't afford to make them.

I'd love to live a life without consequences! I could rob a bank, and there'd be no consequence of going to jail! I could pork your girlfriend while you watch (pass the whipped cream please), and there'd be no consequence of you beating the snot out of me! Isn't that great?

Wait, nevermind. I'd never rob a bank, that'd be wrong. I wouldn't do your girlfriend either, you'd probably be upset. So I guess that means the bank should give me all their money anyway because I'm such an honest guy, and your girlfriend should come over and show me a good time because I'm so noble in not wanting her man to be upset with her.

Does that make sense? No? Good, because it doesn't make sense to me either, but that's effectively what you're saying!

Life has to have consequences. It doesn't MATTER if they were never going to buy it. That's the consequence of choosing not to buy something. Take away that consequence, and you diminish product demand. If you diminish demand, you affect the value at which your product is worth, making it harder to get a return on your investment.

Quote:

If you can find me a lot of fansub viewers who switched from legitimate products (without obvious monetary/financial stress as a reason), I might be more inclined to take your view.

I live with two of them. They're my roommates, we're all college age (not broke teenagers) and have decently paying jobs. They download fansubs galore, nevermind the fact that I've got a DVD collection that rivals a video store's selection which is at their disposal. They think I'm an idiot for "wasting my money" on so many DVDs.

I've obviously razzed them about it on more than a few occassions, and they have flat out told me "I don't care."

Hmm... now that I think about it, I wonder how many of my DVDs they've quietly copied for their friends. Cripes.

Quote:

In any case, I would prefer that they use a system which DOES provide advertising (and/or subscription) revenue but releases on the same timeline as the fansubs do.

Well, right now they pretty much have no choice but to find some other way of making money other than through sales. Downloading isn't going away, no matter how much more visible their wounds become.

Whether you choose to believe me or not, I'm certain that it will (not might) destroy the industry. If it lives on, it will forever be a shadow of what it was. You can not compete with free (advertising only goes so far). My only wish is that the assassins take responsibility for their actions, a wish which I know is a tall one. If it were all down to one company and it died tomorrow, downloaders would still point blame at the industry who, for decades, had always tried their damnedest to give its fans everything it wanted -- except for free.

Quote:

Keep in mind the following
1) I'm stating my opinion based on what I believe to be true, namely, that fansubs provide more promotional benefit than they deter sales.
2) Hate to get off topic but I don't believe they can stop fansubbing anyway without more stupid laws. I hate to see stupid laws so openly condemning fansubbing is going in the wrong direction IMO.
3) I am not saying what they are doing is morally wrong or reprehensible, simply that I don't believe the action is one that will end up benefiting them. I think it will instead cause them a lot of grief and will not serve to achieve their objective of increasing sales.

1) Promotional benefit? Sure. Fansubs have always been instrumental in promoting anime. Early fansubbing was kept in check by technical limitations then. Not so anymore. Downloadable anime is the problem, just to be clear. It's created situations where you've got 10+ fans per one purchaser. Sorry, I'm using speculative numbers again, but it doesn't matter, the correct ratio is supposed to be closer to one fan per one purchaser.

2) Let's be honest here, laws won't do a damned thing. You could make downloading as stiff a crime as buying crack, it won't change much except fill jails.

3) We can agree on this. If the companies attack the fans, they become the next RIAA, and what goodwill the anime companies have fostered over the years is destroyed. I know I'd turn spiteful against the anime industry if they enacted RIAA tactics, and what feeble sales they have left would surely plummet to nil.

So basically, they're in a no-win scenario.

Last edited by xstylus on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Directly comparing the market of a free good and the market of a commercial good is a bad idea. Especially when the market of the free good has some influence on the market of the commercial good but the market of the commercial good has little influence on the free good.
Likewise calling a good that was stolen from its commercial proprietor in the first place to be made available as an illegal "free good" is also a bad idea and a delusional comparison.

Quote:
Quote:

That's like saying that even though the lake is draining away we shouldn't automatically assume the reported hole in the dam has anything to do with it, because we only have the word of the waterboard who own it to go on and didn't witness the hole ourselves.
A hole in a dam is hardly an accurate analogy. Other reasons for the lake dropping could be the input stream has been diverted or dried up. This is a far more complicated situation than a simple body of water that people are taking water from themselves instead of buying the bottles from a company.
There is no question about the inflow, there is plenty going in. The lake is still dropping regardless.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
DigimonTamer wrote:

A lot of fansub watchers are the most hardcore DVD buyers you will meet and I'm sure many of them feel the same way I do.

Flat out lie ^

I could believe that alot of the hardcore DVD buyers are fansub watchers, but alot of fansub watchers being hardcore DVD buyers? Ha.

Calling what I said a lie is just childish.

I consider myself a fansub watcher first and a DVD buyer second and you can't just come out and say that there aren't others like me.

Calling me childish is childish =)

I never said anything about your buying habits, just that "alot" is that. Which means (in this context) a large number. I'm opposing that view by saying it's actually a small number, and that saying it's a large number is a lie.
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:

With PEACH-PIT finally receiving Rozen Maiden fan mail from Comic BIRZ and publisher Gentousha after all these years, the new Rozen Maiden ~träumend~ drama and Suigintou radio CDs going on sale in December 2007, and anime oriented Animage pushing its own CD version of the Suigintou Web radio show, a number of Japanese fans think that the Rozen Maiden manga may start up again (somewhere), and that the much more popular Rozen Maiden anime will get a third season.

Only time will tell.[/i]

I know this is off-topic, but your post is the best post in this thread. I am a huge HUGE fan of Rozen Maiden and after all the unfortunate stuff that has happened over the last year I thought the franchise was dead. Your post has given me hope that it will indeed continue.

YAY!!!
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so here again we just had someone pop up and say, "Because I love anime so much that I must see the show before it's released in my country, that if they stop me from seeing it before it's released in my country, I'll stop buying what I love."
This so completely confuses me... if you like it, why stop buying it? Just rent it first... I have a friend who does this. He has netflix, and he rents the entire series as it comes out. If he likes it, he'll buy it, either singles or a boxset, whatever is available at the time.

The argument that fansub viewers don't buy is probably rather accurate. I'm on IRC a lot, and the majority of people on there balk at me when I tell them I have almost 700 DVDs. Their response is, "Why buy something you can get for free?" My response, "So you can keep getting new stuff for free?" Just kidding. But seriously, there are people, like myself, who bought anime for YEARS before we ever heard of, or saw, fansubs. And if they go away, I'll continue to buy the DVDs, because anime is my hobby. I watch very few fansubs, and I'm in the process right now of actually sampling the new series, and I'll probably end up dropping a lot of them, because unlike a lot of teenagers, I don't have 6-10 hours a day to sit on my ass and watch fansubs. I will actually preview a show to see if I like it. If I do, then I'll buy it when it comes out. If I don't like it, then I stop watching it. If I don't like it enough to buy it, why should I get the enjoyment of watching the whole series... and even some series that I do like I'll not watch the fansubs, because I want to watch DVD quality, and if the dub is decent and accurate, then I may watch that, as well. Then there are some, like the recent Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Everyone was all over this for the longest time, but I was ignoring it, and had no plans to buy it after hearing about it's licensing. But so many of my friends raved about how good it was that I finally checked it out. I wound up watching the whole series in less than two weeks, and am greatly anticipating the DVD release so that I can own it. Because anime is my hobby, and I like to support my hobby.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Not that guys like him aren't making a serious argument about it... But I'll say it again if I didn't say it before.

The Japanese Anime Industry should quit making so much moe garbage. Stop making shows that feature weak or non-existant male leads. A nice-looking guy of high school should block an incoming attack and counter (regardless of what gender attacks him); less the show he's in becomes redundant and unwatchable.

Then, we'll talk and consider titles worth putting money on.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

There's a lot of very lazy skepticism in this thread

1) I contest that I have a problem with him because he's in a position of authority. I would say my problem with him is his bias due to being in a position of authority that is non-neutral. In other words he has strong reason to have a bias. If we were talking about an expert who had no interest one way or another (sadly doesn't exist) then I'd think you weren't going too far with that.
2) I think the word "lazy" here is very odd, because it appears to be saying that we should somehow prove that we are right. Sadly, we have no way to prove the rightness or wrongness. We have no access to the data or figures in order to approach any kind of a conclusion. We have no information available on which to get an idea of what the trends are. The only thing we can declare is our own anecdotes on one side or another. You have a few, but I think we have more.

I honestly have seen more in this forum declare that they buy dvds and watch fansubs than say "I refuse because I can get it free." Even if I were to go to a more fansub-friendly haven I imagine I'd get more anecdotes on our side. Anecdotes can also not be used to develop solid 100% conclusive positions. But when the anecdotes around me are balanced more towards the position that fansubs are not an issue, I'm inclined to question contrary conclusions that aren't giving me data or anecdotes.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
DigimonTamer wrote:

A lot of fansub watchers are the most hardcore DVD buyers you will meet and I'm sure many of them feel the same way I do.

Flat out lie ^

I could believe that alot of the hardcore DVD buyers are fansub watchers, but alot of fansub watchers being hardcore DVD buyers? Ha.

Calling what I said a lie is just childish.

I consider myself a fansub watcher first and a DVD buyer second and you can't just come out and say that there aren't others like me.
I will come out and say that based on the public numbers, an average of around 3% of people who watch a fansub actually buy the commercial release. If we ignore the supposed majority (70%+) dub buyer community, that number rises to at most 10%. In other words, those who buy are in the minority.

Mohawk52 wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Directly comparing the market of a free good and the market of a commercial good is a bad idea. Especially when the market of the free good has some influence on the market of the commercial good but the market of the commercial good has little influence on the free good.
Likewise calling a good that was stolen from its commercial proprietor in the first place to be made available as an illegal "free good" is also a bad idea and a delusional comparison.
I should have had free in quotes there for clarity, however, the comparison is maintained even with the legal free previews that do exist. A company may walk into a convention with thousands of copies of the first episode of a show and give them all away as soon as people hear they are free. They aren't even going to come close to selling that many DVDs. Likewise, Funimation walks into conventions with "convention exclusive" items that cost money. I doubt those go as fast as the free postcards for the same show.

Mohawk52 wrote:
There is no question about the inflow, there is plenty going in. The lake is still dropping regardless.

Given that we have no time line for the 15%/30% drop figure, it is impossible to say. If it was measured around the week of a Harry Potter release, I'd say the inflow has been diverted. Obviously it is measured over a long period of time, but the question is what else has happened during that time. Also, why are regular DVDs dropping 15%? Might it be the same thing that is causing anime DVDs to drop an addtional 18% like an anime related game?

Last edited by bayoab on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
xstylus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

"We’ll have to concentrate on safer titles which are aimed more at Japan market and also we’ll have to reduce production budgets so the quality of animation will decrease."
OK, I get why the non-bolded portion is bad, but please explain to me why the BOLDED (especially underlined) portion is bad?

No more Haibane Renmei. No more Lain. No more Kino's Journey, Princess Tutu, Someday's Dreamers, Human Crossing, Figure 17, Steamboy, Planetes, Escaflowne, even Evangelion started out as a very experimental title. It would not have gotten off the ground in today's market.

People complain that Hollywood is artistically bereft of anything intelligent. You, sir, are asking anime to become the same thing.

I got into anime because it was different. They didn't play it safe, they were trying to be creative. It was everything you couldn't find in America, and now we're Americanizing it. How disgusting.

Quote:

According to Forbes, Radiohead's last album sold around 300,000 copies in it's first week. Also according to Forbes, "In Rainbows" moved 1.2 million units from their download in the first week. Other sources say they "sold" (ie. got money for) around 450,000 units for this album. That's a 50% increase in albums sold. (altho granted, not necessarily a 50% increase in profit)

I'd like to see one of the anime companies try a "name your price" promotion for a four episode (or two hour) show just to see how many would "buy" and what the average sale price would be. However, I can tell you right now it wouldn't be anywhere near 450,000 units, and at $6 per person, there'd need to be at least triple the number of sales than it would have gotten if it had been retailed on DVD.

Quote:

Assuming a CD normally retails for about $9 (which may be high nowadays, based on Amazon prices, but I don't buy CDs very often so feel free to correct me), that's a difference of $3/album.

Have you been to a Best Buy lately? An average CD is between $13.99 to $18.99. Overpriced, I'll agree, but the only $9 CDs are garbage bin bargains.

Also, I think Radiohead's "success" is because it was the first time it was ever done, and they got a lot of press for it. Everybody flocked over to see what it was about. That is the cap that marketing model will ever hit. If it became commonplace, that number would diminish sharply.

Quote:

$50 million (made up figure) for the US distribution rights for something like "Lucky Star", they ain't getting that money back, I don't care how popular it might be on the fansub circuit.

$50 million? Heh... if all the companies combined pooled their money together they still wouldn't be able to afford that. Drop two zeros.

Last edited by xstylus on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Not that guys like him aren't making a serious argument about it... But I'll say it again if I didn't say it before.

The Japanese Anime Industry should quit making so much moe garbage. Stop making shows that feature weak or non-existant male leads. A nice-looking guy of high school should block an incoming attack and counter (regardless of what gender attacks him); less the show he's in becomes redundant and unwatchable.

Then, we'll talk and consider titles worth putting money on.
If they are not worth putting money on, why then are they still worth stealing to watch anyway if they are that annoying to you?
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If they are not worth putting money on, why then are they still worth stealing to watch anyway if they are that annoying to you?

Because it seems that I'm all alone in my argument. Apparently, "animated forms of mean spiritedness" is not only popular; it's a requirement. Crying or Very sad
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Using Radiohead and the RIAA as examples parallel to the fansub issue is logically corrupt. There were a TON of interviews and articles about Radiohead's decision to release In Rainbows for free online, and every single time, the comment went something like this: "Well, that's great, but of course, Radiohead can afford to give away their album for free. This doesn't work for small artists." That's basically the consensus.

Not to mention music is a bad example anyway - even if you never pay for a single album from an artist you love, you will likely go to a concert - the single biggest moneymaker for musicians - and buy T-shirts and bumper stickers. The RIAA is protecting an antiquated business model, but the artists can still profit. You have a chance to participate in an alternate way and still support the artist without buying the album.

Meanwhile there are no "live" anime events that directly financially support the artists. If you're a Bleach fan and you go to a convention and pay $50 to get in, Tite Kubo does not get a slice of that. Con dues pay for the con itself and that's it. There is no equivalent to live concerts in the anime business model, so music as a parallel example does not work here.

Also, as for the "appeal to authority" fallacy, as usual most people take it way, way too far - many of you argue as though simply because this guy is in a position of authority that automatically makes his comments suspect and it's OK to dismiss them outright simply because he is in a position to actually know what he's talking about. There's a lot of very lazy skepticism in this thread - "Well, he works for Gonzo, of course he's going to lie about the damage fansubs do!". Why assume it's a lie? Do you have absolutely any evidence whatsoever to back up your over-the-top, accusatory skepticism? No, not really. You're basically saying that credentials, knowledge and information are all completely moot because if you have any of those things and say so to bolster your argument, that's an "appeal to authority" and you're automatically wrong. Which is incredibly dumb.

Also, in no way was the guy directly blaming fansubs and only fansubs for the downturn in the market. To say so is to unfairly paraphrase and extrapolate what he was saying.

I compare what was said to the RIAA because it was almost the exact same thing. Blaming losses on piracy without being able to prove anything. It sounds almost exactly the same with just a few minor changes due to the mediums involved.

Secondly, appeal to authority is very valid in this case. You can't be an authority on magical numbers one has no way of predicting. Why assume it's a lie? He might believe it, but it doesn't change the fact that he's got no way of proving anything. All he has at best are correlations and those mean nothing. Yet his speech comes off as him trying to take a hard-line stance on an issue he feels is so serious and dire, an issue he has no facts to back up his position on. I sure think that's some grounds for suspicion right there honestly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
A nice-looking guy of high school should block an incoming attack and counter (regardless of what gender attacks him); less the show he's in becomes redundant and unwatchable.

Off topic: Tomoya from Clannad seems to fit you requirement. I've seen him dodge a dictionary thrown at him many times. (Sunohara, however, always seems to get beat up)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15