• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Lupin Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:56 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
hopefully that won't happen. casue if it does we all know Hollywood Co. will be buying up rights to other stuff. just like X-Men.

Already happening, chief.

What's the count up to now, anyway? I know we're supposed to be waiting for DBZ, Akira, Astroboy... and another one or two? Anyone kept track of all of them?
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
JETBLACK87 wrote:
hopefully that won't happen. casue if it does we all know Hollywood Co. will be buying up rights to other stuff. just like X-Men.

What's the count up to now, anyway? I know we're supposed to be waiting for DBZ, Akira, Astroboy... and another one or two? Anyone kept track of all of them?

The Guyver, Fist of the North Star and City Hunter. can't think of anymore either. Very Happy
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
JETBLACK87 wrote:

Well, the DBZ project is pretty much dead, and I'm not holding my breath for Akira. I think Warner Bros. is starting to realize that a live-action Akira film would be REDICULOUSLY expensive. There was also big news about a live action Ninja Scroll film being produced by some upstart production company, but it's languishing in pre-production purgatory at the moment.

That Astroboy film has been going on and off for years. It wasn't until Sony announced their own CGI division that there was any development whatsoever. And THEN there's James Cameron's Battle Angel project, of which I have no idea of it's progress.

How do I keep up with this stuff? No clue. No clue whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:57 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Case wrote:
JETBLACK87 wrote:

Well, the DBZ project is pretty much dead, and I'm not holding my breath for Akira. I think Warner Bros. is starting to realize that a live-action Akira film would be REDICULOUSLY expensive. There was also big news about a live action Ninja Scroll film being produced by some upstart production company, but it's languishing in pre-production purgatory at the moment.

from here

"At one point in the 1990s, Sony contemplated a live-action version of the film, but scrapped the idea when the projected budget went north of US$300 million."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:30 pm Reply with quote
"Well, the DBZ project is pretty much dead"

Wait until 2004 before you say that. FOX said they would be producing and releasing it sometime between late 2003 to mid 2004.

"I think Warner Bros. is starting to realize that a live-action Akira film would be REDICULOUSLY expensive."

WB can't even get Superman on track. But chances are they'll let New Line take care of it. Or maybe their latest project, Last Samurai, will help boost tourism in Japan and make it cheaper to produce Akira there.

"There was also big news about a live action Ninja Scroll film being produced by some upstart production company, but it's languishing in pre-production purgatory at the moment. "

Well Manga's re-releasing Ninja Scroll, and considering putting it back in theaters, and the company for the live-action version was considering releasing it and the anime simultaneously, so maybe that's part of what's going on. P.S. Mark Dacascos for Jubei and Ryuhei Kitamura(director of Versus) as the director is who I'd pick.

"That Astroboy film has been going on and off for years. It wasn't until Sony announced their own CGI division that there was any development whatsoever."

It should also be out in 2004.

"And THEN there's James Cameron's Battle Angel project, of which I have no idea of it's progress."

To be fair, James Cameron's been throwing out names for a lot of projects he's too scared to produce, because, "OMG, if it doesn't do as well as Titanic, I'm a failure!"
thebaron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I really don't wish to see Hollywood anime anything, since I know they will ruin it. Look at X-men and Daredevil, which for marvel films are awesome until you compare it to the comic's storylines.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:13 am Reply with quote
baron: I look at it the opposite way with X Men and Daredevil. They start out awful, but will probably be better in the sequels. (As opposed to Superman and Batman, which were great the first time, and grating by the end.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:13 pm Reply with quote
According to this thread on the RottenTomatoes.com forum, the guy playing Lupin will be French actor Romain Duris, who certainly looks the part.

I can't confirm whether this is real, or just "dream casting" on the part of RT.com forum poster fabfunk3.

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon May 12, 2003 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Let me just say:

I hate when people post large things (such as pictures) and it screws up the table format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:53 pm Reply with quote
The pic is only 722 pixels wide... I don't have a problem with it on my own monitor, and, for people whose monitors are set to 800 wide, I'd imagine it would only be a tiny bit of horizontal scrolling.

I'll go to the site and see if I can find a thinner pic, but it's the same pic fabfunk3 linked to at RT.com and no one complained there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, this ISN'T RT.com. You could have simply posted a link. And yes, it does force me to now sidescroll to simply read a message...that's what I mean by screwing up the tables.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I put in a smaller pic, but the Lupin-ness isn't nearly as evident.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. But like I said...you could have just posted a LINK.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could just give a link (and did twice), but he's not exactly a household name in North America (the only English-language film he's been in being CQ, which no one saw), so the visual aid helps.
Animan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Heh. He looks more suited to play Jigen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3