• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
It's still quite shocking to me this man has left us so early
Didn't even get to truly finish his story that he wanted to tell, and that was the story of Dragonball.

DBZ is one of my favorite shows and it was so cool to watch seeing all the classic moments, Goku becoming Super Saiyan for the first time was the most stand out to me..

Rest in Power, Toriyama-san.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:25 pm Reply with quote
He had such an impact on so many lives and inspired countless people. Not a bad legacy at all, despite being taken far too soon. I saw a tweet in particular that stuck with me. I forget the user but the idea/thought was they liked to think that the speech Master Roshi gave to Krillin and Goku during the tournament of power was Toriyama's own way of saying similar sentiments to the fans over all the years who never stopped supporting him. It could be complete balderdash and just a nice thought, but it is a nice thought given his sudden passing. Hopefully he knew, even if just slightly, the impact he had on so many people over the years.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No bleeping way! I wonder what that means for Daima...And the Sand Land anime. Also, does this mean it's time to finish One Piece? And I thought the Miura and YuGiOh guy's deaths were jolting enough....

yea no kidding! while takahashi's death was accidential, the passing for berserk & dbz's author feels more like it was work related! aka they were overworked to death!

i SERIOUSLY hope this do not become a trend or i will begin to fear for the future of the anime & manga industry as a whole!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
yea no kidding! while takahashi's death was accidential, the passing for berserk & dbz's author feels more like it was work related! aka they were overworked to death!

i SERIOUSLY hope this do not become a trend or i will begin to fear for the future of the anime & manga industry as a whole!

Both Miura & Toriyama had long stopped working to the extents that they used to, as Miura would take long hiatuses for his own health, while Toriyama hadn't worked a long weekly grind since the end of Dragon Ball in 1995; any thing Toriyama made afterwards were short runs (Sand Land, Jaco, etc.). Also, Toriyama's cause of death is something that generally happens due to a blow to the head, while Miura's was commonly related to people with high blood pressure & could be made more likely via things like smoking & the like; not saying that Miura was a smoker, but it wasn't a rarity for mangaka back in the day, either.

Yes, the weekly (or even monthly) grind is detrimental to the life of a mangaka and could have long-lasting effects later in life, but let's not start assigning every single death to overwork, especially for people who were no longer under pressure to continue that kind of grind at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9