• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Place to Place (Acchi Kocchi) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yeah someone else with good taste...

Why thank you. You have good taste too, what with your Kuko Avatar. I think she gets most of the best lines in the show.

You know, Acchi Kocchi strikes me as so cute and harmless that I could show it to people who aren't fans of Anime and they might actually enjoy it. It helps that apart from the frequent nosebleeds most of the humour is not culture-specific, which is a good thing. It means one doesn't have to know much about Japanese humour tropes (or even Japanese culture in general) in order to find it funny.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

You know, Acchi Kochi strikes me as so cute and harmless that I could show it to people who aren't fans of Anime and they might actually enjoy it. It helps that apart from the frequent nosebleeds most of the humour is not culture-specific, which is a good thing. It means one doesn't have to know much about Japanese humour tropes (or even Japanese culture in general) in order to find it funny.

I don't know, I find it rather dull and quite a number of people did too. When it comes to showing people who aren't fans of anime something they may like, I find that it's easier to choose dystopian sci-fi than cutesy things like Acchi Kocchi.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
Geez, if people find Acchi Kocchi to be dull then they better not try Polar Bear Cafe or else it will send them into a coma. Both series are charming and funny - well, I find them to be so - proving that Anime doesn't have to be fast-paced in order to hold one's attention.

I do concede that, depending on the type of person, a dystopian setting might be better. Teenage males want dark and violent more than fluffy and cute. When choosing what to show someone, you gotta match the title to the person.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Well, I disliked Acchi Kocchi but I really liked Polar Bear Cafe. But this isn't a thread to express my disliking Acchi Kocchi. I just wanted to comment to your statement about Acchi Kocchi appealing to people outside of anime fandom, and I don't think it can -- rather, I think it's extremely niche.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
I enjoy slow paced character shows, A-Channel was a nice surprise, and this is quite similar. Most of the the shows in this vein like Sketchbook, G.A., Hidamari, and so on tend to share the same relaxing atmosphere but there's always some romantic element missing that Acchi Kocchi capitalizes on. Io's sweetness and obliviousness mixed with his infallible charm combined with Tsumiki's hesitant yet overabundant fondness for him makes for a great chemistry. It's just too damn cute, especially when she wants to instigate the relationship through adorable ways. The lap pillow, looking at Io when he's sleeping, purposely being a little cold but making the guise so transparent, it's just heart attack inducing. I too favor it over some of the other shows this season, but I also know that you can't have these kinds of show too often, once in a while is good enough.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
Finally got to watch the latest episode, which was episode 10. We got to see what was the deal with spoiler[the bear costume and Sakaki's paper bag, that we see in the OP.] I have often enjoyed that the show can turn something that would be scarey, funnel it through cute, and it becomes funny. Especially loved the bit with Mayoi spoiler[chasing Hime, teasing HIme a bit just looks funny,] kind of reminded me of Nichijou.

And just a small thing, but the cat statue gave me a little laugh, and Sakaki's spoiler[comments about cakes and girls being not allowed.] Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
A couple touches I liked were the animation they used to move the girls into the locker and the twisted realization that the bear costume looked a little too similar to Pedobear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
Warning; I am a bit behind on this show.

Episode ten was really funny, especially the first half. Who knew that simply walking to school could be so interesting? I gotta say that Mayoi looked really cute in that bear costume. Well, before she started stalking people that is; then it was just hilarious. I loved it when Io and Tsumiki were talking about how a bear that ran like an athlete could be the premise of a horror movie. I also agree with Spastic Minnow that the costume did look like Pedobear.

The second half with the Christmas cakes was focused more on Io turning up his charm again. The best bit for me was when he offered a head pat to anyone who bought a cake and Tsumiki instantly held up a cake with a wistful look in her eyes.

Still loving this show, it is still my favourite of the season. Five or so weeks ago I would have said that though it is my favourite it still isn't as good as some other shows. But it has been so good lately that it is rivalling Fate/Zero Season 2 in quality, although both series are completely different. I really hope Acchi Kocchi finishes strongly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)
I think that this is one of series I am going to miss most, it has been such a fun and light hearted series that never really made you have to think too much, but gives you a smile. I remember looking at the plot summary and cringing at first at how cliche it sounded at first, but I ended up loving Tsumiki's character, like a mix of Kagami and Konata. We did not really get any actual confession, but it did look like Io has the same feelings.

Being a valentines episode, it had some small references to the previously done one, my favourite was bringing up that spoiler[Sakaki would make marshmallow pigs feet against Mayoi. And showing that he actually made it.] I think my favourite characters were Mayoi and Sakaki, their trouble making always kept things fun, and it always felt that it was always just harmless fun. Except for the incidents they ended up getting hurt, but still funny.

But I really liked all of the main characters, Tsumiki's cuteness, Io's charm, Sakaki's playfulness, Hime's honesty, and Mayoi's chaos. I can really look back and laugh at different things, the onion, Mayoi saying Hime was pregnant, the whole bear suit bit, cat Frisbee, Sakaki's dating advice, meat house, etc.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
My favourite show of the season. Could have done with a bit more resolution to the romance but hey, that's not what the show was going for.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone would have survived if those two confessed their feelings. I never would have thought the simple and innocuous low budget slice of life comedy would be one of the better shows out of Spring, as in I enjoyed it more than Fate/Zero and about as much as MGX. I'm not sure what anime you could easy compare this too. You can say Lucky Star or Nichijou for the format, but the character interactions and the romantic subplot are so unique that this anime stands by itself, and it was thoroughly entertaining throughout. This is the type of anime I could watch forever, and it surprised me that I rate it a 9/10 for a near flawless execution of a simple premise and ridiculously cute stories. It's reminds me a bit of Geijutsuka Art Design Class, which I also have much praise for, but more focus on a couple central characters, and far less manic all the time.
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Out of all the Spring anime that ended, I'll definitely miss this the most. I really loved the cutesy, no pressure mood I get into whenever I watch the show. I know I'd either just laugh or melt in the cuteness. That last episode made me squeal (I mean a special kitty candy? That's cuteness overload). I wish they'd extended this instead. Out of the... ten shows I watched for this season, only two will be extended to the summer season. Sad
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Awwww after watching the OVA, I remembered how cute this show was. The beginning dream clip was adorable. I am glad the ova did not take the typical bathhouse or beach approach, instead we got a ice skating (which I have never seen in an anime) and a fortune telling approach. Io is still the dense lady killer.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (OVA)

Mega adorable return, never fails to get laughs out of me too. Kind of surprised that Hime was so graceful. Just the rpg bit was fun, I don't remember the series going for such geek stuff, but I always enjoy plots like that. I would have like some focus on characters that only got small parts in the series though, like the radio show girl, the sister or the teacher.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh mein gott, an OVA? My day just got significantly better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3