• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Umineko - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Part of the charm for Higurashi was the subdued and/or creepy themes as opposed to some garish Ali Project-sounding crap.

Well, if the OP & ED weren't evidence enough, Umineko isn't going for the same exact creepy aspects as Higurashi.

I liked the OP, but I think I liked the ED more for some reason. They were both a bit plain I guess...

Westlo wrote:
I think DEEN know they have to get to the part that hooks viewers quickly as possible, pity most VN readers can't see that...

It's true that they would lose a lot of viewers if they spent 4 episodes on character introductions. It's also true they cut a lot out from the beginning of EP1. I'm okay with the sacrifice in place of getting more potential Umineko fans though. Well, if this does actually work.

4nBlue wrote:
Liked all of the seiyuu except Yui Horie

Me as well. I thought she was decent for this role, but there were much better choices imo. I love Kinzo's, Jessica's, and actually Battler's voices. Maybe Maria's voice will grow on me but it hasn't even after hearing all of the drama CD...

Also, I haven't seen much, but please keep any spoilers from the VN out of this thread. I would recommend not mentioning any even in spoiler tags, but I don't really have the power to make that rule. The opener was gracious enough to make another thread for the VN, so they should really be kept in there.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Westlo wrote:
I think DEEN know they have to get to the part that hooks viewers quickly as possible, pity most VN readers can't see that...
Having the shit hit the fan early has the potential to hook more viewers, but the manga took half a year to get to that scene (it was not even included in the first tankoubon), so surely the anime could have survived with a little slower pace.

The manga can take it's time since it's not locked in for a specific amount of chapters.. as long as it stays popular of course... and looking at last week's manga charts it is.

*7, 110,898 *,110,898 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Minagoroshi-hen vol.2
*8, 109,767 *,109,821 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Matsuribayashi-hen vol.2
*9, *96,191 *,*96,191 Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch vol.3
13, *77,672 *,*77,698 Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch vol.1

The anime Umineko however is going to be released over 13 discs which points towards 26 episodes. It's not only that they are rushing towards a "hook" it's that they have to spend more time on the other games than the first one. Game 4 for instance wouldn't be far off from doubling the length of the first one.

My preferred split is

Episode 1 = episodes 1-5
Episode 2 = episodes 6-11
Episode 3 = episodes 12-18
Episode 4 = episodes 19-26

Tea Party scenes which could be done in 5 mins for Episode 1 will take the entire last episode for Episode 4.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I've just finished episode one, and I'm really disappointed. I was under the impression this would be a serious mystery/horror, but alas, it tries to ruin the well-established formula with bad humour and elements of Moe and Lolicon.

First of all, what kind of a name is Battler anyway? I might understand if this was some generic Shounen production, but I really cannot see a rich family calling its first and only son "Battler". Even a Hollywood starlet wouldn't be insane enough to do so. I hope.

Secondly, the perverted "humour" on Battler's part is quite unwelcome. Nothing that we haven't seen a thousand times before in Anime, ridiculous in the extreme (what guy would actually try that in real life, in front of witnesses no less?), and just so out-of-place. He's supposed to be the protagonist, the detective that solves the mystery, but it is very hard to like him when he does things like that.

Thirdly, Jessica, Maria and Sharon fit token roles that never needed to exist in the first place; Tsundere (at certain times), Lolicon, and Moe respectively. Maria is supposedly being eight or nine and yet she is so very retarded; the OP depicts her going "Higurashi" on someone. Which I suppose makes some sense, given who made this, but do we really need the frequent ghost noises? Really?

Fourthly, the way the adults were talking made for confusing watching. First of all they were going after one guy, accusing him of embezzlement. Then instead of using blackmail they started to sweet-talk him into divvying up the fortune with him getting the largest slice. Say what? The embezzlement accusations just disappeared. Also, the way the two women went after one another was over the top, and nonsensical. Real people, especially those with a bad history between them, do get into vicious arguments over very little. But the scene with those two women was farcical.

Fifthly, and with regards to the fourth point, the voice acting for most of the adult characters was excessive. The worst offender was Mugihito (as Kinzo Ushiromiya), who easily outdid Norio Wakamoto (Charles zi Britannia in Code Geass) for sheer zaniness. Many Japanese Voice Actors have often been accused of overacting (especially when compared to their English counterparts), but rarely has such a collective performance undermined a series like this. With the characters yelling and screaming and being overly-dramatic over such minor thing, pray tell what are they going to when it really starts hitting the fan and people die? Oh wait, the noisy ones probably will go first. Still, it will lessen the impact of future scenes.

Sixthly, I found the ED to be pretty bad, I have to say. The singing is plain awful, and though the beat is okay, it is hard to concentrate on it. I suppose I am in the opposite shoes to PantsGoblin, who prefers the ED to the OP. I actually like the OP, but we all can't agree on everything. I don't mind the ED that much; Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ has a bad ED itself, and yet it doesn't detract from the quality of one of the best shows last season.

Anyway, I have a rule that says if I watch more than three episodes using fansubs, then I have to go out and buy the DVD release when it finally gets here. So the show has two more episodes to convince me to go further, because at the moment I'm not too impressed.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Shannon is moe? Aren't we trying too hard to fit people into certain archetypes.. oh wait I get it Rie's doing the voice so she must be moe! :roll: and yes Maria acts like a retard which is kinda Rosa's point when she went off at her... "She's nine and she's a forth grader.." etc

dtm42 wrote:
Fourthly, the way the adults were talking made for confusing watching. First of all they were going after one guy, accusing him of embezzlement. Then instead of using blackmail they started to sweet-talk him into divvying up the fortune with him getting the largest slice. Say what? The embezzlement accusations just disappeared. Also, the way the two women went after one another was over the top, and nonsensical. Real people, especially those with a bad history between them, do get into vicious arguments over very little. But the scene with those two women was farcical.

Eva and Natsuhi have history... if they took time to explain everything the painting scene halfway through might've been the end of episode 2... lol.

As for the adults conversation sigh... they are talking about the fortune from the gold, said fortune which came from a witch. now do you expect these adults to believe in such a fairy tale? It was a trap, either he had found the "gold" and used those funds or he was stealing funds from his dad. Now if he didn't want to admit he was embezzling funds he would have to go along with this charade and pay out their shares of this non existent gold.

They only wanted the quick lump sum payments because all siblings were in financial strife. But Krauss was too smart for them and knew they were in trouble so regained the upperhand. I know they cut down a lot from the game but everything I said was in that scene.

Quote:
Fifthly, and with regards to the fourth point, the voice acting for most of the adult characters was excessive. The worst offender was Mugihito (as Kinzo Ushiromiya), who easily outdid Norio Wakamoto (Charles zi Britannia in Code Geass) for sheer zaniness. Many Japanese Voice Actors have often been accused of overacting (especially when compared to their English counterparts), but rarely has such a collective performance undermined a series like this. With the characters yelling and screaming and being overly-dramatic over such minor thing, pray tell what are they going to when it really starts hitting the fan and people die? Oh wait, the noisy ones probably will go first. Still, it will lessen the impact of future scenes.

His obsession over Beatrice is a minor thing? Care to repeat that in 4 episodes time? Besides does he look sane at all to you? And no it won't lessen the impact of what's coming.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Shannon is moe? Aren't we trying too hard to fit people into certain archetypes.. oh wait I get it Rie's doing the voice so she must be moe!

Well, the cute/pretty maid has long been a staple of the genre. Which sort of makes me both annoyed and pleased that they would continue with it. But yeah, Shanon/Shannon is more cutesy and demure than most, though I will grant we only saw her in two scenes, one of which showed her wordlessly opening a door (I think).

Westlo wrote:
Rolling Eyes and yes Maria acts like a retard which is kinda Rosa's point when she went off at her... "She's nine and she's a forth grader.." etc

There is something definitely unusual and wrong with Maria. No normal nine-year-old is like that; it's behaviour you wouldn't expect from a child of five, let alone eight or nine. And just because the mother mentioned this oddity neither explains it nor justifies it in my eyes. In the real world Maria would be getting professional help, especially since her mother looks like she can afford it. Of course, the mother looks like she has issues of her own, though in fairness I certainly would have slapped Maria as well. Maybe I'll learn infinite patience once I have kids.

However, they didn't have to make Maria an animal-noise-making Moe Lolicon; that's just too much. Another one to add to the list, sadly.

Westlo wrote:
Eva and Natsuhi have history... if they took time to explain everything the painting scene halfway through might've been the end of episode 2... lol.

Which only makes it more confusing when they go at each other like animals without suitable justification. Well, suitable justification that the audience knows about. Sometimes having a long history between two characters can be a liability if it isn't handled correctly, as I believe it was here. Not everyone has played the games, though no doubt the fans of the games will make up a significant portion of the viewership. Though assuming everyone who watches has played the games is not a good way to expand your fanbase.

And besides, some of those tidbits could have been saved for later, when they might have carried more emotional weight.

Westlo wrote:
His obsession over Beatrice is a minor thing? Care to repeat that in 4 episodes time? Besides does he look sane at all to you? And no it won't lessen the impact of what's coming.

I meant the other adults with that sentence; a man only three months away from dying is probably not going to view death as inconsequential. He still overacted though, to the point where I didn't hear anguish but instead the sound of my own laughter at the absurdity. Talk about narm.
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the first episode too and I think this show got off to a much better start than Higurashi did. In particular, I like how the main characters are actually normal for once. A ton of characters are introduced in a flash, the supernatural back-story is explained, the stage is set and we are even given a warning that a bloodbath will come. Of course, nothing guarantees it will be as good or better than Higurashi. The show's appeal will depend on how they handle the horror elements and on how the characters interact. I just hope they will spare us from the power-of-friendship crap we got in the second season of Higurashi.
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
what site did ya watch the episode on?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
RebirthedDuelist wrote:
what site did ya watch the episode on?

This one. It's fairly popular; you should try it sometimes.
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
thanks that really helped, anyway i watched it on youtube and i gotta say, perverted battler is funny as hell. though it was speeded up, i felt chills at the end.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
I just finished watching the first episode too and I think this show got off to a much better start than Higurashi did. In particular, I like how the main characters are actually normal for once. A ton of characters are introduced in a flash, the supernatural back-story is explained, the stage is set and we are even given a warning that a bloodbath will come. Of course, nothing guarantees it will be as good or better than Higurashi. The show's appeal will depend on how they handle the horror elements and on how the characters interact. I just hope they will spare us from the power-of-friendship crap we got in the second season of Higurashi.

Considered yourself spared. Also the antagonist for Umineko clearly puts this on another level compared to Higuarashi.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:51 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode last night, and I have to say, I really like the setup for this one. I hope it's at least as creepy as Higurashi, because that is quite possibly one of my favorite anime of all time, horror or otherwise (that's counting both seasons). If Umineko is anywhere near as brutal as Higurashi, I think I'm going to love it. They seemed to have already set the stage for a bloodbath, as someone else said, and I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.

I also loved the OP; it was haunting and beautiful, and seems to set the tone for the show quite well.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Higurashi (game) and Nitro+ games are getting an official release in english language. I guess Ryuukishi07 got some encouragement from the translation projects. The change of official Umineko translation just rose, if the fans don't pirate Higurashi and actually spend some money for the things they want.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Higurashi (game) and Nitro+ games are getting an official release in english language. I guess Ryuukishi07 got some encouragement from the translation projects. The change of official Umineko translation just rose, if the fans don't pirate Higurashi and actually spend some money for the things they want.

That is some incredible news! Very Happy I've been waiting for an official Higurashi release for a long time. Now I'll finally be able to play the whole thing in English and support the creator!
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
sweet, i guess my cousins and brothers will start being interested in higurashi now. Very Happy

Edit: Is it me or does Kanon looks like lelouch from code geass?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, I've just finished episode one, and I'm really disappointed. I was under the impression this would be a serious mystery/horror, but alas, it tries to ruin the well-established formula with bad humour and elements of Moe and Lolicon.

Did you not watch Higurashi? Inserting incongruous fetishes and humor (Angel Mort, etc.) into a gruesome murder mystery was kind of the show's shtick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 41