• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nyan Koi! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this show is definitely a harem show, no doubt about that. That doesn't bother me in slightest. As long as the concept is handled well, it can still be entertaining despite its shopworn aspect. So far, the show seems to be doing a good job of keeping the harem stuff amusing for me.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
I'm also watching Nyan Koi and loving it!

I saw the review on ANN and I'm always looking for short stuff to watch (mainly because I despise long running titles because they either end horribly or don't end at all) so I picked it up. I also love cats. Let me clarify that. I'm not one of those"ZOMG IT'S A KITTY~~~~~!" girls who run around conventions with cat ears and a tail. No. We don't do that here. I'm also not some creepy woman living with like 50 cats and no life. We don't do that either. I also don't have a cat or animal fetish whatsoever. I just like cats and I think they're cute.

That aside, I got the impression this was going to be a harem immediately. That's a little bit why I got into it in the first place. So, when every kind of character gets introduced, I'm expecting it anyways. I find this series really delightful and enjoyable. They keep finding interesting ways for him to "help the cats" while still working in some character introductions and development. I would have liked for the spoiler[childhood friend to stay "mamba" for a little longer] . . . but considering the length of the series it's probably for the best that they resolved it when they did.

I'm not feeling like this anime will top Hand Maid May for me or top Tenchi Universe. Even so, I'm loving it! I think it's creative, heartfelt, and well delivered. They have a great voice cast backing the characters up and even the musical score isn't terrible. I kinda like the opening intro close to the end where he's running from all the cats and he sees the girl he likes and everything's ok. Kinda cute. Especially considering that those cats would prolly still catch up to him and he would die . . . it makes me chuckle. Also, the cat radar part in the first episode had me laughing hysterically.

The series is definitely worth watching even if you're not into harem as it hasn't gone completely cliche yet (on ep 3). I expect that it will though. Judging by how they've kept the plot and development moving thus far, I'd recommend this for any anime fan who likes a good drama/comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Good god, I'm disappointed with this show. Episode one showed so much promise-episode 2 was a bit of a let down, and then episode 3 pretty much sealed the deal for me. I guess I'll follow this show because there's not much else going on for me this season (well, there's a couple other shows...). Huzzah harems?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
What didn't you like about it? (I'm not asking that in a like snooty way or anything - just for discussion's sake Anime smile)

I can see being tired of the harem thing though. It's just been a while since I've watched one. The last one for me was Ai Yori Aoshi a few years ago unless you count Zero.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
The harem formula just doesn't appeal to me anymore. At one point it did, but after some years of growth (as a person and anime fan I guess) it's lost it's appeal. Like I said, I'll be watching it but it's my least favorite show to watch this season. I guess I'm tolerating it because the season overall is just bad and this show can give me a laugh or two.
The Shmoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
That was an interesting curve they threw with Nagi in episode 4. I didn't see it coming in the slightest. Although thinking back I see they were hinting at it. I'm liking the show so far, but I haven't watched many series of this type so I'm not sure if it's falling into the "been there done that" bin.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
The harem formula just doesn't appeal to me anymore. At one point it did, but after some years of growth (as a person and anime fan I guess) it's lost it's appeal. Like I said, I'll be watching it but it's my least favorite show to watch this season. I guess I'm tolerating it because the season overall is just bad and this show can give me a laugh or two.

Gotcha.

I guess I'm kinda the same way with Zero-type females in anime right now. I haven't watched what I would consider a lot of anime with those kinds of girls but I'm just generally tired of seeing that kind of character everywhere (it feels like).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I think episode 4 is the weakest one so far. There was very little cat stuff in it and the "humour" was particularly dorky -spoiler[ i.e. yakuza princess who everyone thinks is a guy has a sarcophagus in her room? ] Hopefully, next episode will be a return to form.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think episode 4 is the weakest one so far. There was very little cat stuff in it and the "humour" was particularly dorky -spoiler[ i.e. yakuza princess who everyone thinks is a guy has a sarcophagus in her room? ] Hopefully, next episode will be a return to form.

Agreed.

While I didn't mind the episode that much, it just didn't do it for me. I was reminded of several different anime titles throughout this episode spoiler[(FMP Fumoffu with the challenge letter and the screaming of Junpei's name over and over; Ouran with the masculine looking princess who's afraid of lightening)]. There were a few other things that stuck out that I thought were parodies of something else, but I didn't quite get it. For example spoiler[when Junpei thinks that the royal cat is asking him to do something like this, or that, or THAT and there are several images shown (and one of him in a female school uniform)], I felt like I should know what those stills had come from. As if they were swiped from something. Anyone know if this is supposed to have parody in it or not? If it is . . . I'd like to watch the stuff being parodied also.

Another thing that bugged me - what was up with spoiler[ the mail lady being there and handing off a letter that she thought would get him in trouble?] I didn't get the relevance and it didn't seem to make a difference at all. Just wondering if anyone knew.

Overall, still enjoyable, but some stuff is feeling a little awkward (like the thought and speech bubbles randomly popping up in this ep.). I hope they return to what they had last ep.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
A curve ball in episode 4? I spent the first half spoiler[ calling the senpai she, that is just what it felt like to me, then I find out it is a guy and I get a bit embaressed of saying it was a girl to my brother. Then I get turned around again that my guess was corect, and she is siular to Haruhi from Ouran High yet acts like San Seto. In fact I might describe her as Ouran high's Haruhi mixed with Seto no Hanayome's San Seto and that guy in Fummofu.]

I guess it was kind of fun, though I realised that there was a bit of formulae. In fact I think the Yukaza theme didn't quite feel right as it almost felt like a mimic of Seto no Hanayome, even a father had a similar feeling, except San can be much scarier when in yuazu mode. Actualy no surprise they are both by AIC.

Any way I hope that the show can offer mor weird cat situations, which I think is what it has most going for it.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
See? I told you she was a boyish girl. Good thing she didn't turn out to be so damn annoying.
Episode 4 - The harem cast is almost complete, just the twins missing. I won't expect much about his curse until they completely introduce his harem.
I'm beginning to miss his "radar" thingy. I think it was the best part of this anime, so far.
From all the girls (the dumb, the yakuza, the older sister, the enslaving), I didn't get interested in any. Which might make this anime a little boring; I'll be completely depending on the comedy element from now on.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Then I get turned around again that my guess was corect, and she is siular to Haruhi from Ouran High yet acts like San Seto. In fact I might describe her as Ouran high's Haruhi mixed with Seto no Hanayome's San Seto and that guy in Fummofu.[/spoiler]

guy in Fumoffu == Tsubaki

and I got the exact same impression you did other than on Seto because I've never seen that one.

Quote:
Any way I hope that the show can offer mor weird cat situations, which I think is what it has most going for it.

Ditto.

egoist wrote:
Good thing she didn't turn out to be so damn annoying.

No kidding.

Quote:

I'm beginning to miss his "radar" thingy. I think it was the best part of this anime, so far.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's like that thing was in the first ep and they never reused it. I can't imagine it being complicated to animate or expensive or time consuming, so . . . maybe they thought it just wouldn't fit?

Up until this ep, I was rooting for the childhood friend (even though that more than likely will not happen). In real life, I've always been the childhood friend, but I was also a tomboy growing up so I guess I can relate to both of these kinds of characters. It's only recently that I've become more feminine, so this is really the first time I've really watched a harem from a "girly" perspective so you think I would end up siding with them or something. Even so, I still end up rooting for the childhood friend character. Anime smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm rooting for the mailgirl because she's stacked. No, but seriously, so far I'm going for the childhood friend. I can't resist that "I really like you but I can only express it through anger" thing.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm rooting for the mailgirl because she's stacked.

I think all the girls are stacked. Check out the bath part of ep 4. I definitely was. Anime smile

Quote:
No, but seriously, so far I'm going for the childhood friend. I can't resist that "I really like you but I can only express it through anger" thing.

And now you know how my boyfriend felt for the many many years before we got together. Maybe he still feels that way . . .
The Shmoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, but seriously, so far I'm going for the childhood friend. I can't resist that "I really like you but I can only express it through anger" thing.

I'm pulling for Sumiyoshi also.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6