• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tiger and Bunny (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Finally, where's my awesome guitar-laden sentai-esque theme song to set the mood?

This isn't really a toku-type series so I don't think it would fit

Anyway, saw episode 2 and loved it. Kotetsu is just such a likable person.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
just watched the first two eps. i don't see anything good in this anime. ohh well, atleast alot of ANN people enjoy it.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
After seeing episode 2, my fears that this show will never aspire to be something more than generic superhero schlock have grown exponentially. The preview guide compares this show to Heat Guy J, for whatever reason, but at least that show tried (and fell short) of aspiring for more than it started out as...but at least it tried. This could easily falter and become "Needless 2", only worse. Episode 2 is too early to judge, but I held out hope on Kiddy Girl-and being at least on par with the original. We all know how that panned out. Hence my skepticism.

Again, the initial premise of the show needs fleshing out--in a town where blue-collar criminals are violently apprehended, blue-collar crime would not exist. At least, not in the form shown in ep 1, there would be no poorly organized 3-man crews. Why would anyone risk the perilous job of hijacking an armored truck when they could simply embezzle the money from the company's bank accounts?

I felt this way within the first 10 min of the first episode. There's a lot of action and flashy objects but not a ton on interesting stuff really going on. I'll give the show credit for something a bit different but a show is not good just being different, Just having generic "super Hero" fighters do stuff kind of interesting is only going to be entertaining for so long.

I sometimes complain that US super hero comics tend to be way to long and almost impossible to get into with insanely subplots and alternate realities and blah, blah blah, but at least they have a plot more then just one simple generic idea.

There are a lot of interesting idea and a good amount of action and some really good animation. Though with a mediocre plot and with generic bland characters, this anime quickly dries up and falls apart pretty early. I had to rewatch the first episode just to see it all because I was so bored with the 1st episode i forgot I even had it on.

I can see why some people will love this show but its just bland and boring to me with very little interesting to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
The lack of a main female character is diappointing. I hope Tiger's daughter provides some interest.

Blue Rose (dat ass) might play a bigger role later on, she is the 3rd person shown in the OP and she is on the cover of the 2nd Volume.. Tiger is the first.. I'm guessing Bunny will be on the 3rd.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blue Rose (dat ass) might play a bigger role later on,
From what was said in the Ep 2 thread for this show, it seems that she's going to be the banal "I don't want these powers, I just want to be normal" character. By "normal", she apparently means to be an idol singer, & her "character development" is rumored to consist of her balancing being a superhero with being a high school student & idol, which just makes my mind jump to the (IMO) really weak girl in The World only God Knows who was also a high school student who had to balance her life as a star with her mundane life as a student. If true, no good can come of that.

I hope that Episode 3 shows me that this fear is unfounded.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 3, the plot's actually getting kind of interesting.

spoiler[Does anyone else think Bunny's about to pull a Batman soon?]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode, it was interesting to see more Agnes as she and Tiger and have a ton of chemistry together. The series is giving us information little by little instead of having a ton of episodes that have little to do with the plot followed by episodes of info dumping, great idea.

Next is the Blue Rose episode and it's about time we start getting information on the heroes.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
If Tiger didn't act like a kid all the time this show would've been much better. I mean, sure, comedic value and all that, but it's getting annoying. The best moments are when they're both serious.

Looking forward to the Blue Rose episode.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
So, where is the competition for Hero TV? All the reporters in the world are content just to miss these great stories and let the one TV channel get endless exclusives? That makes no sense. Did other worldwide news efforts let BBC get exclusives on Libya and the Sendai earthquake? Of course not.

There's the one superhero who simply photobombs the other heroes' works. Where is the reporter doing the same thing to Hero TV's stories?

Also, as Barnaby is knowledgeable about bombs to the point of being able to disassemble them, how come he didn't realize that the bomb had no motion sensor and simply use his superpowered running to carry the bomb outside and detonate it safely & sans property damage when there was still plenty of time left on the clock? Instead, he vacillates for minutes and ends up wreaking havok on the building, and could have killed the news crew in the circling helicopter.

A further bogus device is the bomb itself--the bomb was apparently a prebuilt bomb, the "most advanced on the market". What kind of market openly sells ready-to-go bombs? I guess in the future bombs aren't purpose-made by expert bomb makers who put signatures into their work, instead they just come off the assembly line?!

Lastly, how did Blue Rose recognize Tiger out of his superhero disguise but Tiger not recognize her? Tiger prides himself on his ability to keep his identity a secret, and Blue Rose was never shown to have connected Kotetsu to Tiger. Either she recognized him, somehow, or she was disgusted that a "lech" was looking at her, even though encouraging that is part of the job she was doing Rolling Eyes
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, where is the competition for Hero TV? All the reporters in the world are content just to miss these great stories and let the one TV channel get endless exclusives? That makes no sense. Did other worldwide news efforts let BBC get exclusives on Libya and the Sendai earthquake? Of course not.

I think other news networks cover the events, but the Hero TV have the inside scoop because they aren't a news organization, they're a reality TV show. For one thing, they specialize JUSt on crime within that one city, so they probably have a lot better resources for doing so than, say, CNN. For another they have a direct line to alkl the heroes, so they know what they're up to in real time. Any other news agency is at a huge disadvantage there. It'd be the equivalent of if CNN had all their global resources inside Lybia, AND they had a direct realtime feed to all the major rebel groups.

Quote:

Also, as Barnaby is knowledgeable about bombs to the point of being able to disassemble them, how come he didn't realize that the bomb had no motion sensor and simply use his superpowered running to carry the bomb outside and detonate it safely & sans property damage when there was still plenty of time left on the clock? Instead, he vacillates for minutes and ends up wreaking havok on the building, and could have killed the news crew in the circling helicopter.

I don't think it was safe to move at first. He disabled a lot of its elements, including the motion sensor, apparently.

Quote:

A further bogus device is the bomb itself--the bomb was apparently a prebuilt bomb, the "most advanced on the market". What kind of market openly sells ready-to-go bombs? I guess in the future bombs aren't purpose-made by expert bomb makers who put signatures into their work, instead they just come off the assembly line?!

It's possible it was a military device, but they called it "C9", which is reminiscent of "C4", which is an explosive, so maybe they were talking about the explosive material itself, not the mechanism.

Quote:

Lastly, how did Blue Rose recognize Tiger out of his superhero disguise but Tiger not recognize her? Tiger prides himself on his ability to keep his identity a secret, and Blue Rose was never shown to have connected Kotetsu to Tiger. Either she recognized him, somehow, or she was disgusted that a "lech" was looking at her, even though encouraging that is part of the job she was doing Rolling Eyes

I thought he did recognize her, they just seemed to have a love-hate thing going on. I imagine all the heroes know each others secret IDs.

The one thing that really bothered me in that ep was how Tiger was going around in his civilian uniform with just a domino mask, that would be completely worthless for a secret ID. It's be like Superman walking around in a business suit just without the glasses.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The one thing that really bothered me in that ep was how Tiger was going around in his civilian uniform with just a domino mask, that would be completely worthless for a secret ID. It's be like Superman walking around in a business suit just without the glasses.
That also irked me, but it's so ubiquitous in anime that I was letting it slide. Sailor Moon didn't even wear a mask, and no one could recognize that she was Serena/Usagi, not even her friends. (Though Superman might not be the best example as he looked exactly like Clark Kent as I recall there was no disguise. He didn't cover his face ala Bruce Wayne, or even get a token "hero mask" like Tuxedo Mask.)
Quote:
I don't think it was safe to move at first. He disabled a lot of its elements, including the motion sensor, apparently.
Barnaby never said that there was a motion sensor, or that there wasn't one. The issue wasn't brought up, it was completely dodged as if they didn't expect the viewer to raise this point. To corroborate, there were no sensors to detect tampering; Barnaby was able to brazenly unscrew the bomb's cover with a multitool. He didn't bother to probe the bomb to make sure there wasn't a sensor that would induce detonation should someone try and unscrew the device.
Quote:
It's possible it was a military device, but they called it "C9", which is reminiscent of "C4", which is an explosive, so maybe they were talking about the explosive material itself, not the mechanism.
The official subtitles said "bomb", not "explosive". Maybe it's a technicality, but I'd only expect that from a fansubber, not an official simulcast. Additionally, I don't see why the military would be in the market for obvious looking, bulky, low-yield bombs. If they were, I'd expect that they would not need to be serviced, they'd be "ready to go" so to speak, and thus would be welded shut, not able to be opened by a multitool. (Either way I interpret it, the bomb-opening scene was bogus)
Quote:

I thought he did recognize her, they just seemed to have a love-hate thing going on. I imagine all the heroes know each others secret IDs.
If Tiger recognized her, why did he seem surprised to see her? That's what struck me as odd. If he knows her real identity, wouldn't he then also know her aspirations to become a singer? Even if she didn't explicitly tell him, it should not be surprising to him, seeing as she has been observed to break out in a Hatsune Miku-esque dance & song routine when she appears at a crime scene.
Quote:
For one thing, they specialize JUSt on crime within that one city, so they probably have a lot better resources for doing so than, say, CNN. For another they have a direct line to alkl the heroes, so they know what they're up to in real time.
EDIT:That's something else that annoys me about the show--Hero TV certainly seems to know instantly whenever a crime occurs. It also seems odd that the main way heroes know about crimes occurring is from Hero TV. You would think that the sponsors would want other ways of knowing, as Hero TV cares about its ratings and will prioritize the heroes who garner the most ratings. Contrastingly, the sponsors care about pushing product, which only happens when the heroes who represent them are prioritized. Tiger & Bunny were on the scene of the Giant Statue in episode 2 before the normal police or the other heroes were. Even though Bandai and Pepsi don't compete directly, you'd think Pepsi wouldn't want to let that ad opportunity go to Bandai. (Also, other companies would get in on the Hero action. Going for the reality show analogy, if no other network could compete with Hero TV in whatever city they're in, the other networks would start their own competing show elsewhere. Maybe they'd even start to bribe heroes away from Hero TV...or are there heroes outside of this mystery city? This hasn't been explained Sad )

Last edited by Echo_City on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Isn't accepting minor costume adjustments to be a perfect disguise one of the fundamental suspension of disbelief elements for superhero stories? Taking your Superman example, isn't it pretty regularly ridiculed that his glasses are the only facial change he makes and somehow no one recognizes him for it?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
]That also irked me, but it's so ubiquitous in anime that I was letting it slide. Sailor Moon didn't even wear a mask, and no one could recognize that she was Serena/Usagi, not even her friends.[/quote

True, but with the magical girls you can at least write that off to "magic", like they're impossible to identify or something. These are meta-science superheroes, who presumably don't have a "secret identity" power.

Quote:
(Though Superman might not be the best example as he looked exactly like Clark Kent as I recall there was no disguise. He didn't cover his face ala Bruce Wayne, or even get a token "hero mask" like Tuxedo Mask.)

Traditionally Superman's "mask" is the glasses, and that basically Clark is such a schlub that nobody could imagine them being the same person. If Superman were to wear the exact same clothes though, just without the glasses, people would catch on.

Quote:
Barnaby never said that there was a motion sensor, or that there wasn't one. The issue wasn't brought up, it was completely dodged as if they didn't expect the viewer to raise this point.

He did say that he disabled the "conductor" or something, which I took to be a mechanism to prevent its movement, either a motion sensor or a direct connection to the building.

Quote:
If Tiger recognized her, why did he seem surprised to see her? That's what struck me as odd.

He didn't seem surprised to see her. He did seem upset by her reaction to noticing him, which was to run off in a huff.

Quote:
Going for the reality show analogy, if no other network could compete with Hero TV in whatever city they're in, the other networks would start their own competing show elsewhere. Maybe they'd even start to bribe heroes away from Hero TV...or are there heroes outside of this mystery city? This hasn't been explained Sad )

There may be, for all we know. This is just the city the show focuses on. And I doubt anyone else goes the "Hero TV" route because it would overly fragment the market, similar to those knock-off "dancing" reality shows that don't seem to make much impact. Hero TV is just in a position where anyone else that tried would be sloppy seconds, and it isn't worth the expense. But who knows, maybe there are such shows, we just don't see any of them.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
If Tiger recognized her, why did he seem surprised to see her? That's what struck me as odd. If he knows her real identity, wouldn't he then also know her aspirations to become a singer? Even if she didn't explicitly tell him, it should not be surprising to him, seeing as she has been observed to break out in a Hatsune Miku-esque dance & song routine when she appears at a crime scene.

He was happily clapping for her until she noticed him and visibly reacted in a negative way to him and walked off, which left him stunned.

As for your last point which is not needed since you couldn't grasp the situation... playing a piano like that is hardly the same as the idol type performances she puts on as Blue Rose.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But who knows, maybe there are such shows, we just don't see any of them.
Sadly, the world of Tiger and Bunny is not fleshed out, and I doubt it will be. So we can only question what the rest of the world is like; are there heroes in other places in the world, or do they only exist in this mystery city? We haven't really even been shown that there is anything outside of this mystery city, which is frustrating. In the same timespan as these 3 episodes, The Incredibles addressed these issues and had spun a narrative with more depth.
Quote:
He was happily clapping for her until she noticed him and visibly reacted in a negative way to him and walked off, which left him stunned.
He would have clapped for any pianist, it's proper form. Knowing that the pianist is Blue Rose, which again was not said or even heavily implied, is not a prerequisite for lauding her performance as other bar patrons were giving her accolades just as Tiger was, and they did not know of her identity as Blue Rose. We won't know until the next episode, will we? Currently it is just as likely that he was miffed as he felt he was the reason that the pianist ran off, even if that pianist weren't Blue Rose he would still be shocked from that same scenario.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25