• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gantz -- need help understanding the ending.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, the series left such a bad taste in my mouth I doubt I'd ever feel like picking up the manga unless I was extremely bored or felt masochistic. I'll keep it in mind though, stranger things have happened.
x_Thorn_x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
I read alot of the posts and stopped halfway through, I couldn't help but de-bunk some of them.

People are thinking way to deep about this and are losing the the few things it actually gives you in the first few episodes.

You have to reach a certain score to win and the players are chosen at random during times of their individual deaths.

The reason it was so hard for him in the end was because the episode before the last, he fired a gun at gantz.

So gantz was mad and bent the rules.

Also with the ending, since it doesn't really give you much to go on. The only thing I can think of, is he could try to save himself. Or that when he won his freedom, he was alive at the time the subway hit him again. (also since the girls body was with him can be explained that no-one was touching when transfered in the past.)

The ending sucked, I'd probaly would get better from the manga.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Having invested all the time and effort to see the first 20-odd episodes of Gantz, episodes which are very fine indeed, is it possible that you are willing to engage in doublethink to justify to yourselves the tacked-on ending, just to avoid having to admit to yourselves that you had been cheated?

Cheated? Not one bit. I actually enjoyed every minute of it. I had already gone into the anime series knowing that it had a gecko ending. I don't dislike shows that have endings that deviate from the canon. Two endings are better than one IMO Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I, too, had no problem with the ending. I haven't read the manga (plan to in the future) so I don't know if they chose the best gauntlets, but I liked that the final one in the anime ended with spoiler[humans vs. humans.]

Really, that's the only thing they could have done to make the final arc truly different from anything that had come before. The ending didn't feel tacked on or rushed to me. It's been a few months since I've seen the series (which, compared to people with normal memories is like, oh, about 20 years for me) so I can't remember all aspects of the very, very ending all that clearly, but I look forward to rewatching the series in the future. Probably by that time I'll have read the manga, as well, which would be cool.

Last edited by Blood- on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I actually just re-watched it with my girlfriend. She was so addicted to it we would be watching like 6 episodes in a sitting. It was my first time watching the dub and OMG was it hilarious. Chris Ayres as Kurono was a riot.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Hah. I was reading this thread while at work(necroposting ftw) and found it quite interesting. The end of Gantz left me openmouthed. I spent some time looking for an OVA or if I missed any episode, and the results were clearly disappointing.
I'd like to believe in the "it's up to you" ending, but no, that's just not gonna work. This anime left too many mysteries not concluded, one of them is Gantz itself, and the second would be what exactly happened to the boobs freak.
Clearly, it wasn't an improvised ending, but I'd say they had to wrap it up real quick, since they must've been planning a second season all along.
After many years and a re-watch, I'm able to say that Gantz had a fairly satisfactory ending, with an opening for a possible second season which ain't very likely to happen.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I had the pleasure of catching up with Chris Ayres a while back at a con and he was a very nice person. Great guy. Anyway after he signed my DVD box we started talking about the ending. He told me he spoke with the director about it and according to him the bottom line is spoiler[Kei won the game.]

spoiler[Going from there it does support the theory that Gantz is a purgatory and the characters truly are dead (hence why loose ends such as Kato's brother can be left as such). After watching it with this in mind, I can see what they were going for and they did add some nice characters. What they tried to do was give the series a pacifist message. Kurono tells himself near the end "Kato was right." Kato being right by insisting on using the trap gun in the face of such horror. Not killing is the only way to end the cycle of death which is clearly human nature. By recognizing that Kei was able to win and pass on. However this COMPLETELY contradicts the beginning where Kato captures the Green Onion alien. They weren't freed then. So it just goes to show that yes even with the end explained it was still tacked on garbage that soils an otherwise great show. It's too bad they couldn't leave the show as is and then come back when the manga had more material. So many moments I'd love to see animated...]
TheBigTuna

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I believe that the gantz ending was good and i enjoyed it but i would have liked it if they would have extended it a couple episodes instead of the sudden ending. But anyways here is what i interpreted from the ending. spoiler[ I believe that kei did not die but that he made it, he could have beaten gantz or just had one the game. if you notice in the first season when he gets into trouble with those punks and was supposed to pay them 100,000 yen and the kid says it was just something about his face that he decided to pick on him. I think it was the same with gantz where he had just chosen him and had kept him in the game to observe him and then he started to respect him and then go head to head with him.]

There were also alot of things about gantz that really bothered me like the way where just everybody dies. right when you think the game will run smoothly people begin to die, i really hated that episode where katou and both of the girls died.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gantz is a case of a decent series that somehow got a total cop out ending. I mean all these interpretations are meaningless. What the ending really says is heres a load of bizzare nonsense that can be interpreted in almost any way so go for it make up an ending that you feel happy with because we can't be bothered to.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Gantz is one of my favourite shows, but the ending definitely sucked. I'm not saying it should have followed the manga, as I like it when anime/manga deviate from their source material. I just would have liked a little bit of closure, or at least some explanation of what happened to spoiler[Kei, and what happened to Gantz and the apartment.]

For anyone interested in the continuation of the story, the manga is excellent. It doesn't let up on the graphic content at all Twisted Evil .
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember the end of the Gantz series, which probably says a lot in itself. I looked at the first volume of the manga, and thought the TV really improved on it, which makes it even stranger that the final arc of the series somehow feels lacking. Still a good show overall, though.
Arn Ardorm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
Well, though Gantz is one of my favourite shows, I am happy it has only 25 episodes.

During the anime spoiler[there are only shown missions and how people die. In the beginning it seems cool, however, as I've reached episode 16 or 17(I don't remember when the last mission starts), I realized that Gantz has run out of ideas. If in the first episodes the author tries to show the bad side of the world, using people's thoughts, in the last episodes I've already got it and watched only to know what happens to Kei(since other main characters have died). So, everything that is left to the anime is showing fights that don't have any real sense. And I don't really like such serieses...]

That's why, I am happy that Gantz ends at the very exciting point and my impression of it isn't ruined.
iSugoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
The ending of Gantz was supposed to be that way it was for one primary reason...spoiler[to hopefully cash in on another season.] Oops, look like that didn't happen. Laughing
Arn Ardorm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
iSugoi wrote:
The ending of Gantz was supposed to be that way it was for one primary reason...spoiler[to hopefully cash in on another season.] Oops, look like that didn't happen. Laughing

Lol, if I think about it now, then you are right Smile. By the way spoiler[is there any other season???]
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Arn Ardorm wrote:
iSugoi wrote:

Lol, if I think about it now, then you are right Smile. By the way spoiler[is there any other season???]

Unless it would have been another season of complete filler, the way the Gantz anime did its filler ending made another season of manga material practically impossible save some blatant retcon.

And trust me, where the manga goes afterwards wipes the floor with the material the anime covered. That isn't to say the part covered in anime wasn't good, but it just got way better. spoiler[Kurono finally gets character development and matures out of his selfish-dick phase, the new cast of characters are far more likable generally compared to most of the old cast, the plot gets more complicated, etc.]. This is probably the main reason most were disappointed with the anime ending because it killed the chance for any of this to be animated. Of course, plenty of people, like me, just didn't like the ending because we thought it was bad and just confusing for confusion's sake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3