• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Scores Super Gals Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Although I'm disappointed by the lack of the dub (the dub on the first season remains one of the finest English anime dubs ever made), preordering this series is a no brainer for me. Under $40 (preorder bonus) for 26 episodes that just happens to be the sequel to one of my favorite series? Yeah, I'm putting some extra money into my bank account tomorrow so I can preorder this ASAP. Smile

And who knows? If they get enough orders, they may decide to rerelease it later on with a dub (yeah, I can dream can't I?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Easily the Best Announcement out of AX in a long time, because:

1) Announcement came out of a left-field that no one gave chance too (only hope). and

2) The HUGE "Hell Yes!!!1" factor that goes with this news.

And about the "no dub, no support" talk, I've really seen no big uprising (yet) of people not buying the show because of no dub. I've seen a post here and there, like this thread, but nothing even close to "debate" status. 98% of everything I've read so far is all positive, which is great news for SG! and TRSI.
sionEmber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
I nearly fell outta my chair when I read the news. I have been reading the manga, so I'm curious how the show will differ from the manga. THANK YOU RIGHT STUFF!!!!!! But why is ADV letting all the other companies snatch these shows? They know the fans of GALS would've dished out the cash, yet they continue to grab stuff like Moby Dick and Ghost Stories.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
sionEmber wrote:
I nearly fell outta my chair when I read the news. I have been reading the manga, so I'm curious how the show will differ from the manga. THANK YOU RIGHT STUFF!!!!!! But why is ADV letting all the other companies snatch these shows? They know the fans of GALS would've dished out the cash, yet they continue to grab stuff like Moby Dick and Ghost Stories.

Because ADV wouldn't spend the money to make a dub, and wouldn't be able to push it in stores, plus they don't have the larger internet-exclusive market that TRSI would have (I mean, remember the mess they had with their most recent sub only release?).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Certainly my most anticipated anime purchase in a good long time.

But I take it that there's no way to get your name onto the list if you don't have a credit card to pre-order with? Can't they have a "I pretty, pretty promise that I'll send you a money order in the fall, cross my heart" option?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
beast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a sub-only online release, we need more of them; no money wasted on bad voice actors, and no money wasted on distribution! =)
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
beast wrote:
Nice to see a sub-only online release, we need more of them; no money wasted on bad voice actors, and no money wasted on distribution! =)

Except in Super Gals case, it should read "No money spent on fantastic voice acting," because the voice actors for the first season were perfect. But I can think of plenty of other series that I would wholeheartedly support a "No-dub, cheaper release" policy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
:O!!!!!

I PREORDERED RIGHT AWAY!!!

I have been looking for the second season...FOREVER!!!

I wasn't able to find the raws, and of course, no DVDs in Japan....

I guess I'll be one step closer to my completion of my Gals collections... (I don't have all of ADV's S1 dvds...however, I have volumes 1-10 of the manga, tons of Ribon Mascot Comics Issues, alot of Furoku of Gals, and alot of accessories..)

As for a dub...I do not really care however...ADV could've licensed S2, but they didn't. What did you want Right Stuf to do?
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:

I'd rather leave it than get it Japanese only. I'm sure lots of others agree with me.
And people think purist fans are bad....As for myself, I'm really glad that Super Gals season two has been licensed and that it's going to be released in a cheap boxset. I've been wanting to check this series out sometime but I've always been hesitant to buy it because ADV only had the first season licensed and I didn't want to invest in an unfinished anime. Now that it's being released, I can check this show out. I could care less if there's no dub track because I love subbed anime and even though I like dubs too, I've never really liked ADV dubs to begin with. I'm also glad this means it'll be a cheaper price for the boxset. This means with the season one boxset I can buy this entire series under $100.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
sionEmber wrote:

Because ADV wouldn't spend the money to make a dub, and wouldn't be able to push it in stores, plus they don't have the larger internet-exclusive market that TRSI would have (I mean, remember the mess they had with their most recent sub only release?).

The first series had abysmal sales, so it's no suprise that ADV didn't want to bother with the second season. It's also no suprise that TRSI won't spend the money on dubbing (since that could well cost double the cost of the license) on something that doesn't have a lot of sales potential. On top of all that, they are releasing the entire season for only $50. Honestly, I don't think TRSI is making very much profit off of this as it is.
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:

Except in Super Gals case, it should read "No money spent on fantastic voice acting," because the voice actors for the first season were perfect.

Eh, matter of opinion. I've heard it and can honestly say I wasn't in the least bit impressed. It sounded just as bad as almost every other ADV dub. So I won't miss it at all, as I never watched it to begin with (though I don't think my opinion makes the feelings of dub fans irrelevant). And the price alone makes this purchase a no-brainer. I feel almost guilty in saying I'm now glad the 1st season sold as poorly as it did. Otherwise, we'd be putting out a lot more money for season 2.

As a side note, what's the on-screen text like in season 2? While I don't expect Kare Kano treatment on a bargin release like this, RS handled that title wonderfully with an option for layovers that matched the orginal text near flawlessly. Sometimes, layovers can be your friend. Very Happy
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
EDIT: Lack of a dub is not a deal-breaker for me -- I'm sure that there's some sort of financial reason for it -- maybe TRSI had to pay high licensing fees because due to the non-existance of Japanese R2 DVDs, this boxed set is going to be reverse-imported to kingdom come. I'm extremely glad to be able to see it in any format, and I would have imported R2 DVDs if they existed or simply found raws of it. Besides, there's no way we'd be getting 26 episodes for under $50 on an initial release if it were dual-language; this proves there's a silver lining for everything Smile

I'm also a tiny bit bummed about lack of a dub - Super Gals had one of the most fun dubs I've heard in a long time, and I loved the attitude in Ran's voice. But I've heard a few episodes in Japanese, and like it as well, with the exception of Mami Honda's voice. As with most, I really just appreciate the fact that we're getting Region 1 DVDs! Yay! Anime smile
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Saiyo_Chan wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
EDIT: Lack of a dub is not a deal-breaker for me -- I'm sure that there's some sort of financial reason for it -- maybe TRSI had to pay high licensing fees because due to the non-existance of Japanese R2 DVDs, this boxed set is going to be reverse-imported to kingdom come. I'm extremely glad to be able to see it in any format, and I would have imported R2 DVDs if they existed or simply found raws of it. Besides, there's no way we'd be getting 26 episodes for under $50 on an initial release if it were dual-language; this proves there's a silver lining for everything Smile

I'm also a tiny bit bummed about lack of a dub - Super Gals had one of the most fun dubs I've heard in a long time, and I loved the attitude in Ran's voice. But I've heard a few episodes in Japanese, and like it as well, with the exception of Mami Honda's voice. As with most, I really just appreciate the fact that we're getting Region 1 DVDs! Yay! Anime smile

Well, I hate Mami's voice too...

When I first read the manga, I never expected the voice to be like that (Actually, there was a few things I didn't like about the anime such as color changes and Miyu's past changes...). I also didn't like Aya...at first, but then I liked it. It doesn't matter to me, because I like Ran the best anyway...

As for your screen name, I don't know if you intended it to be this way, but Ran's sister's name is Sayo.
xKawaiiOverdose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Although I'm disappointed by the lack of the dub (the dub on the first season remains one of the finest English anime dubs ever made), preordering this series is a no brainer for me. Under $40 (preorder bonus) for 26 episodes that just happens to be the sequel to one of my favorite series? Yeah, I'm putting some extra money into my bank account tomorrow so I can preorder this ASAP. Smile

And who knows? If they get enough orders, they may decide to rerelease it later on with a dub (yeah, I can dream can't I?)

EEEEK OMGOSH when i read about this on Right Stuf I literally jumped up and down screaming, "YEAYY!" and whatnot. this is totally awesome. Very Happy i guess i don`t have to send that complaint letter to ADV about putting SG season two on DVD anymore. *crumples paper up* Razz
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the Japanese R2 DVD of season 2 will be released before Dec. 1 or not. If it doesn't, we can expect reversed import orders from Japan. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2