• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No. 6 (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
^ All of that is true, but keep in mind we're dealing with a fictional story here. In fiction, a character acting the way Shion does is usually foreshadowing something.
"

Or it's a natural human emotion? That moment was one of the most realistic emotional moments I had seen in anime in a very long time! Usually this kind of stuff is over exaggerated and usually very lame and cheesy. Can it for once a 12 year old actually acting like, well he's 12!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
Now that you guys mention it, I think there was a line cut from the novels where Nezumi says something along the lines of "living people are warm" before falling asleep which seems to be foreshadowing as to just what happened to him (that's speculation, I haven't read translations past the first volume). Sion references that line later on so that could be part of the reason for the scene.

Also, for those of who you saw fansubs instead of the CR stream (like me, heh) the CR stream actually has a preview for episode two at the end, thought y'all might be interested.
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
After watching the first ep, I want to own the set on blu-ray. It looks so beautiful and the story hints greatness. Will this be picked up soon? Hmmm...
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
^ All of that is true, but keep in mind we're dealing with a fictional story here. In fiction, a character acting the way Shion does is usually foreshadowing something.

Not necessarily, I think it's the other way round. In some fictional stories certain elements are sometimes exaggerated, and then fans exaggerate anything that can bear signs of homosexuality. If what you say were true, every piece of fiction out there depicting close friendship would involve homosexuals.

So we end up in a quite funny situation when people see things where they are not there. The fact it is anime series we are talking about, does not automatically mean there is going to be some BL involved.

It might, but it might not, I would not mind either way. At this point however I would not see anything suggesting it, unless you really, really want to see it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:

Not necessarily, I think it's the other way round. In some fictional stories certain elements are sometimes exaggerated, and then fans exaggerate anything that can bear signs of homosexuality. If what you say were true, every piece of fiction out there depicting close friendship would involve homosexuals.

So we end up in a quite funny situation when people see things where they are not there. The fact it is anime series we are talking about, does not automatically mean there is going to be some BL involved.

It might, but it might not, I would not mind either way. At this point however I would not see anything suggesting it, unless you really, really want to see it.

Or you can ignore what is there but the romance is not central to the plot. BONES is also toning down the lust. Plus the whole they're 12 thing won't hold because there is going to be a time skip.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, so what is there? Last last time I checked, touching someone's hand was not a declaration of sexual orientation
I never said nothing will happen between the two boys, simply that for now- nothing has happened.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It is not about generally touching a boys hand or how close a set of nondescript boys can get. This is about Shion and Nezumi, their relationship and budding romance. Their hand holding session in the anime is setting up their sexual inclinations.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
It is not about generally touching a boys hand or how close a set of nondescript boys can get. This is about Shion and Nezumi, their relationship and budding romance. Their hand holding session in the anime is setting up their sexual inclinations.

It's been one episode. I did not see anything sexual at all. If anything it was more awkward and confusing as well as any 12 year old boy would feel if another guy held his hand, gay or strait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well the 12 year boy old seemed confused about being kissed by his friend that is a girl but accepting of close physical contact by a boy he knew all of half a day. My comments are not just about one episode but the relationship that has already grown in the light novels buuuuut nvm. Just write off their exchange in episode one as friendly touching because there is no way anyone would tell a story that involves to boys that are attracted to each other.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

I never said nothing will happen between the two boys, simply that for now- nothing has happened.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Well the 12 year boy old seemed confused about being kissed by his friend that is a girl but accepting of close physical contact by a boy he knew all of half a day. My comments are not just about one episode but the relationship that has already grown in the light novels buuuuut nvm. Just write off their exchange in episode one as friendly touching because there is no way anyone would tell a story that involves to boys that are attracted to each other.

Please read carefully what I said- here and in one of the previous posts. No one excludes it happening, but I will spell it out, again- not knowing the VN or the rest of the story, judging by this one episode, no explicit signs of bl took place.

As for the 'was embarrassed by a girl kissing him' thing- yeah, they have been friends for most of their childhood, from what I understood. If my best friend unexpectedly kissed me, I would be surprised as well. Maybe he felt awkward because he did not expect it from her. Not because she was a girl.
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
So they are gay? I mean I don't mind but most of the questions coming up are whether they are gay or not. I wont mind if it's done right.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

ArsenicSteel wrote:

Please read carefully what I said- here and in one of the previous posts. No one excludes it happening, but I will spell it out, again- not knowing the VN or the rest of the story, judging by this one episode, no explicit signs of bl took place.

As for the 'was embarrassed by a girl kissing him' thing- yeah, they have been friends for most of their childhood, from what I understood. If my best friend unexpectedly kissed me, I would be surprised as well. Maybe he felt awkward because he did not expect it from her. Not because she was a girl.

I suppose if episode one was all there would be to no.6 and no other media was known to take the story any further then nothing happened between the boys. Since the anime is an adaptation of another work and the story has progressed beyond the opening it is clear their meeting served as a foundation for their relationship.

As a standalone situation Shion's reaction to the kiss can be rationalized as feeling awkward or not being ready. But when considering other events like his lack of discomfort with touching a complete strange guy in his bed then one starts to consider if the problem with the kiss was because it was from a girl.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
stinknasty344 wrote:
So they are gay? I mean I don't mind but most of the questions coming up are whether they are gay or not. I wont mind if it's done right.

From the stuff I've read (fan-translation of the first novel, some of the manga adaptation) it really feels more like a bromance or some very light shonen-ai undertones. So I doubt they're actually gay but, as you can see, this is apparently a hotly contested argument about the show.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
My brother did some research on the light novels and according to him they are in fact gay (or at least, their relationship isn't totally platonic). [/spoiler]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2.

I feel bad for Sion's mom.

Unfortunately this episode is going to do nothing to dry up the Ack! Eek! BL! Homo! drivel that makes up most of this thread. spoiler[A 16-year-old boy turning down a direct invitation of sex from a cute girl his age is of course possible, but just won't fly with the audience here.] I did find that bit of dialog quite refreshing compared to how it is usually handled.

I suppose harboring a fugitive is serious, but trashing a 12 year old's entire future over an offense that started out as an innocent act of compassion is more than a little bit harsh. spoiler[And then conducting an arrest (apparently extra-judicial -- why would the enforcers feel a need to lie about the destination?) over a one line comment is of course the act of a truly vile regime.] A good show needs a good villain and I think we got one here, even if it is a nameless faceless one. Maybe that's the best kind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12