• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Warlords of Sigrdrifa (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Okay, I have to talk about this series. It had some alright parts, it just never really got me too heavilly invested, with the sole exception of episode 4 that was a big tonal shift, and I found much more interesting. I generally think that it missed out on cashing in on the absurdity of the series being a bunch of young girls saving the day in old planes in ways that modern aircraft could not, pushed by Odin who was a troll shota. Maybe it wanted to have itself taken seriously, but I think leaning more into how silly it is could have helped. And does kind of feel like some of the Norse mythology stuff was a bit more window dressing than it could have been, even if the emotional thing at the end was a bout an Odin who grieved having lost everything. Most of the emotional stuff kind of fell flat for me in the end.

My rating will be So-so (5/10), it did not really catch my attention, with the exception of the stuff like episode 4. Although I understand that might not be everyone's opinion.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Fantastic and memorable main cast stuck in an uninteresting situation against an enemy... if Odin removed his blessing, would there even be a battle?

Maybe I should just stick to saying Azu and Miko were good characters... Still, another problem was the show was not willing to let any of the characters go and there was a moment in the last episode that if Sono had actually died , my opinion of the entire series would have improved but no. Leading Valkyrie died in the backstory and only newly added Valkyrie died in the main story. One of the main cast should have died in Thor's attack and another in the final battle because if you have to have stakes, have stakes that matter to the immediate situation not "here's some new meat.... oh no, they're all dead now. O well, back to normal".

We never got Ride of the Valkyries. However, we got the moment where the music SHOULD have played though so...

And the series needed an epilogue involving Odin either in this world or the next.

The series needed to have the undead Valkyries as well as Thor as actual characters. They would all turn out to be facets of Odin but you have to have something more than the Pillars of Heaven.

Great animation and design but the story had one twist which I think none of the production team could agree what it was. "Odin's evil!" "Odin's mad!" "Odin's lonely." I don't regret watching it but I've seen better "girls in planes" shows.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And the series needed an epilogue involving Odin either in this world or the next.

The series needed to have the undead Valkyries as well as Thor as actual characters. They would all turn out to be facets of Odin but you have to have something more than the Pillars of Heaven.

In my opinion, the best Nordic mythology fiction put a whole lot of thought into the idea that Odin is a being of immense wisdom (he gave his own eye up for it) who knows the end was coming with Ragnarok, wants to stop it, but there is absolutely nothing he can do to stop it. It might be why I do think it is a little half-baked what exactly it was that motivated this particular form of Odin to I presume having a Ragnarok caused by his own power. The show could feel a little confusing in whether characters in the setting were even aware of Norse mythology so they might know what things like a Valkyrie, Valhalla and stuff are, and that it could have leaned harder into these things if no one was aware. Like what it could have been in relation to people not knowing what an Odin with Valkyrie could mean for soldiers/warriors dying with a Ragnarok on the horizon with a concept of Valhalla.

There could have been some twist of Odin using the Valkyrie to bring warriors dying to a Valhalla that he would then use them to fight as an undead army in Ragnarok. It would have worked well with at least in the English subtitles of Claudia being a reaper, because is pretty literally what their role is in Norse mythology.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ragnarok is the Twilight of the Gods and it already happened in this story but this Odin not only didn't die, he was the only one who lived.

... and now I just realized I have no idea exactly what Odin wanted. He could have set up a family life among the humans or rerun Ragnarok or have the humans kill him when he couldn't do it himself. And this series has elements of all three especially if Claudia really is Odin's blood daughter. So that's why I wanted the epilogue because Odin's story is too undefined.

Replaying Ragnarok is silly seeing how Odin was the power behind both sides, too many people died for me to accept the story was about Odin wanting to die himself and if Odin was lonely and bored in his world then was it necessary to set up a fake alien invasion in order for him to interact with people?

It's also possible that surviving Ragnarok drove him mad... They could have Old Man Odin unite the human forces against this young upstart who, twist, turns out to be Odin himself.

And only did I realize that every change I considered to improve the series is because the series itself has no themes. It's just a story about some people who did some stuff that ultimately didn't mean anything.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I think it's completely consistent with the show to say that Odin himself didn't really know what he wanted. I think it would be generous to say that's what the writers wanted, but the elements are all there. He really just wanted the good old days, but for that he needed a war, he needed companions, and that meant playing both sides, which then sabotaged him. When he balked at killing Claudia, I thought it was a nice touch. He pretty much admits that none of it makes sense or is consistent, and the show has been talking about how trying to figure out what the gods want is a waste of time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2