• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So I'm a Spider, So What? (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm digging this series so far, but I keep finding myself way more interesting in the animal level stuff than what the humans are up to. I just wish this was some kind of fantasy world where it was all animals and such.

Still, I'm impressed that this was from the same studio and director of Berserk 2016. Sounds like the production was a lot smoother.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Our Spider queen is doing pretty well for herself, now even has twice the minds. She also got her cool spiky body now.

Second half of the episode is also particularly notable, since we followed the hero brother. He fought a spider enemy much like our main character, so we got I think a look at what she actually does, although probably bigger. She does not have the cute big eyes and a non-monstrous mouth. I was back and forwards if this was our heroine, fitting to my theory of a time difference for different parts, but considering the personality of attacking humans and getting killed, it is probably not her. So I thought that what was scaring that spider might be our heroine, which we saw a lady who very much looks like the idea of a demon lord or something, with a black scheme. But rather than her in particular, we also see a lady next to her all in white, who we don see speak or anything, which has me think that this is actually our spider heroine in the time period that her ex-class mates are teenagers at school. Could be someone totally different, but it is largely the image just made me think of what she could evolve into a more humanoid form somehow down the line.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

This episode seems to be the one to give real big confirmation of the different timelines, since they said out loud that our heroine web house happened 15 years before the humans at adventurer school. The spider silk that became that scarf and earth dragon egg literally came from the same place. Hero brother probably could not have put up bigger death flags unless he was giving up smoking and coming back to marry his childhood crush. I suspect his friend.

Back in the past, our heroine actually managed to kill the dragon, being a total mad lad, and went up a bunch of levels. And some freaky guy came through teleportation, must have something to do with dragons, like they are his demon domain or something, apparently assuming that someone else was involved, my guess surprised to see a little spider having killed it. Our heroine can't speak isekai, and someone called Administrator D comes in and seems to intervene, probably stopping him from killing the fun little spider. D is probably something like a god, by the sound of it she likes messing with the world, and makes me wonder if she was who killed the class to put them in this world.

Then in the future we get the demon lord lady with a council of high demons, the dragon demon guy is there, and based on how he talked to demon lord, I wonder if she was who he thought killed the dragon when he was going there. Demon lord does have a spider aesthetic going for her, so I wonder if the labyrinth having the powerful big mother spider and dragons in it create conflict. And going off what I was thinking earlier, the mysterious "demon" girl at the meeting table all in white and the head of a number 10 army, may be our heroine. They were being mysterious about her, but does seem a bit weird that she would be on the side of killing humans.

And also, hero's little brother suddenly received the hero title, which quickly assumed meant that he just inherited it from his bro dying.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Who to win, the greatest human mage and a group of soldiers around a king, or smol spider girl?

Seeing her flail around while in monstrous spider form, her usual animated self while being a screeching horrifying monster, was a bit funny. Even if she essentially just killed a bunch of people. I guess from her point of view they started destroying her home and then attacked her. Maybe she didn't realise that she was straight up killing them by looking at them.

Does boss music play now when she enters a room?

I imagine she would want to get some communication skills soon if she doesn't want to keep having to fight humans to the death. She did get enough to evolve, but she also just maxed out Hersey, whatever that means.
Mencor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 10

Who to win, the greatest human mage and a group of soldiers around a king, or smol spider girl?

Seeing her flail around while in monstrous spider form, her usual animated self while being a screeching horrifying monster, was a bit funny. Even if she essentially just killed a bunch of people. I guess from her point of view they started destroying her home and then attacked her. Maybe she didn't realise that she was straight up killing them by looking at them.

Does boss music play now when she enters a room?

I imagine she would want to get some communication skills soon if she doesn't want to keep having to fight humans to the death. She did get enough to evolve, but she also just maxed out Hersey, whatever that means.

After the first eight, yeah she did. Besides you don't hurl a big pointy object, with enough force to separate an arm after going through another person, as a prank.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
*Episode 13

She has left the dungeon now, although her mother noticed that she was missing, and after orders to return did not work she sent an army of spiders that you would think would be more than enough. And she kind of fairly easily beat the spider army and ate the largest of her siblings, and then sent her extra personalities against the mind of her mother's mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

Wow, this episode was super unfinished, I can only imagine that they are going to fix things before they sell it on BD, because there is a whole lot of repeated scenes and basic animatin loops, that you could not even call it animation shortcuts.

The episode also had some other interesting bits, like funny seeing monster Kumoko rolling around like an idiot.

Also, the demon lord talked a bit like Kumoko, while I always assumed she was the lady in white. Is this a red herring? She seems to be voiced by someone else, so was it practically a Aoi Yuuki impression?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Kind of seems like an overdue reveal for the white lady to be our heroine, I was kind of onto it ages, along with piecing together that Ariel acting like her could mean something else. It thus kind of left thing in the future timeline on a weird cliff-hanger, where the classmates can recognise her as Wakaba, and Shun just reached taboo level 10 and got all the hidden information. I am not entirely sure how that even worked, when he got taboo levels. There was a particular moment when the classmates called Sophia "Spooky", like they really are pieces of work, and complicit. No surprise that the demons were the good guys trying to save the world. Potimas turns out to be a cyborg, which again is not a surprise after he somehow survived being destroyed earlier.

I liked this series, but it also really came across as overambitious, they seemed unable to deliver on a lot of the ideas they had on actions scenes especially. I would actually be curious if there would be plans to fix up the things for home releases, because frankly it could be a bit embarrassing. Not that I want to knock too much, making this sort of stuff can be super finicky, and it still manage to outshine most of the other Crunchyroll original anime, especially with heavy use of cg models. CG models is probably one of the biggest concerns, that there were some interesting ideas here, especially with our heroine herself.

And then there are also aspects that come off a bit vague, which on a good end seem to encourage some discussion if the Talkback section is anything to go by, but also not entirely good. Figuring out our heroines personality itself seems like the sort of thing you really have to build a sypher to put the pieces together. She seems to have really bad social anxiety, which can give the impression of being a very quiet, thoughtful and put together person, while getting her internal dialogue reveals someone who is internally very loud and a big goof ball. The biggest surprises would probably be others seeing how one of her minds mixed with the more extroverted Ariel which shows the goof ball character more openly. One could probably really read into a theme of a dissonance between what other people can see of a person and who they are on the inside or from another angle.

Perhaps there would be another interesting side if or when we would see the demon side not from the humans who belong to a kingdom that destroyed another just to get a spider. Maybe Shun really would seem like more of an idiot, or a more ridiculous character in how he was playing the hero with his party, yet understood nothing. But in the face of that, we had a lot of future classmate stuff that was mostly kind of not as looked forward to as the spider stuff. We came for the spider, not the sort of stereotypical hero story, except maybe when the hints really were there that they should not be trusting the elves. I was generally always looking back to our spider heroine.

My rating is going to be Good (7/10), it had too many problems for me to really rate it higher, but I do still think that it is worth more than it score says, since it has many interesting points as an isekai series. Being reincarnated as a monster just opens up to some fun ideas. I suppose I would like more, if they could actually have the budget for it.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed So I'm a Spider even though I felt like I missed some things here and there. Like when Ariel, Spider-girl, and that super young kid-hero were facing off, then suddenly in the next episode they weren't.

I'm glad Ariel turned out to be a good guy (apparently). She was my favorite character in the whole show. But does that mean that Shun and company aren't true heroes, or just misguided?

I'm kind of disappointed. It took 24 episodes for Wakaba to be reunited with her classmates and the reunion only lasted 10 seconds. I really wanted the group to interact with her more.
poltroon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The source material brings a lot of interesting ideas, and if you liked the premise but not the animation, you might enjoy the light novels, which they absolutely plowed through to get to this point in the story.

I assume they planned this with intent of a sequel because this is a really strange place to end it.

I too prefer more spider and less generic hero story. I wonder if they found the animation of the spider sequences to be challenging and thus chose to use less for that reason.
Professor Nihil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this one so far and rate it 8/10, rather high on my scale.

It reminds me of BOFURI and Tensei Shitara Suraimu Datta Ken in respect to the RPG win theme and while I find both of those absolutely delightful I definitely prefer the character of Shiraori to Rimaru and Maple.

The girl-power theme is wonderful and Shiraori's personality with all of it's determination and self consciousness is easy to appreciate.

The dual timeline aspect was something I suspected but wasn't absolutely sure of until the season was nearly over. Well played!

Oftentimes for me anime series with really strong beginnings end up not being able to follow up the story with equally intense writing, Tensei Shitara and Gleipnir being two examples that come to mind.

While one or two episodes of So I'm a Spider aren't quite as strong as the rest of them they nevertheless drive the story forward in a vital way and I did not find them to detract from the credibility of the story the way various episodes have for me with Black Clover and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, two series that I enjoy bit whose ability to command my interest and attention just doesn't come close to So I am a Spider... in that regard.

I look forward to more!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2