• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Metallic Rouge (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

This one is far from a season favourite for me, too, but I did like the way this episode ended. The villain had my least favourite villain agenda: "ha ha, I just wanted to fight somebody really strong" but as long as there is anime, this is gonna be a thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:53 am Reply with quote
I personally found the episode pretty funny. The main one I can think of was when Rouge came up and followed through with the plan of figuring out who the imposter was by punching all of the suspects. The last in the line being a dog that had us thinking she couldn't possibly hurt it, before indeed kicking a big goofy dog. Oh, and the line where the detective was out of breath running, and said that even that wasn't going to convince him to quit smoking. There is a certain charm I find in a lot of the writing.

There is a couple dangling threads. One being that they would need to collect the sphere from the clown guy, so that doesn't feel finished yet. Another being exactly what happened at the end, where Naomi is suddenly arresting Rouge for some sort of crime of artificial intelligence, which I am trying to figure out has to do with either the mention of a mole or Rouge's flashback. Rouge was asking if she is really Rouge Redstar, which had me think maybe she is like an illegal artificial clone of someone, her father copied his dead or dying daughter onto an immortal robot, but just a theory. Or perhaps they need it to appear that way because she was a little too public this time in transforming into her wanted self.

And the last thread is their neighbour, who as soon as I saw them at the pool, I knew there wasn't a twin, and at the very least are the same body. I actually kind of assumed they were going to be the killer. But I guess just brings to question whether Aes and Alice are two different personalities like a DID way. Also, whether they too are an android, which would then also make them a likely target.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I am putting a pin in this one for now, maybe I will come back to it again when it is complete. As much as I like the animation and setting, it feels like we are thrown into a story midway and every episode misses large chunks of the story. I can accept a mysterious anime with lots of question marks, but this one is like 90% question mark.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I hear ya, smurk. It's like this show and My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered are locked in some kind of bizarre contest to see which show can introduce the most characters and concepts without explanation or context. At least Instant Death has source material that can be consulted but Rouge is anime original.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Death Magic is not trying to be mysterious or complex about things though, it is a crazy isekai world in which the writer basically just smashes all kinds of characters and settings together while not caring about if it works or not. It is stupid, but it is basically a wild dream and nothing about it is complex or is trying to make some deeper point.

With Rouge they seem to be genuinely trying to tell a story and make you think, lord knows why they keep throwing in new characters and events that make everything one big mess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree but both shows have the same annoying habit of suddenly shoving new characters on screen without giving any background. I think in the case of Instant Death it's because the source material has a ton of characters and the show is trying to represent them but just doesn't have the time to do it properly. God knows what the excuse for Rouge is.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Given that I see people calling the final episode a kick in the balls I assume that it did not end very well?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:36 am Reply with quote
It just got less fun the more it focused on plot and related twists, rather vibes that made the earlier episodes really good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2