• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
In episode two Kirino's interactions with the goth loli were indeed good, it was kind of hard telling whether they were being friends or enemies. I think that I will look forward to see what might come off between those two, they are simular in a few ways, but in others are pretty different which kind of makes some nice chemistry.

The Goth loli girl is the foil to Kirino which works quite well. Hopefully this gets played more, as I think this could really be something good.

Also there is someth strange about Kyousuke's relationship with withe "neighbour girl", it looks like she likes him, yet he has absolutly no idea and of fact like to give her light insults. He said something about not likeing anyone else insult her, I know this not too uncommon in anime, but usually the genders are the other way around.[/quote]

Hopefully he stops being dense about it and releases her feelings. I think those two would make a good pair, though since I haven't read the manga I don't know how this plays out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
killmyself wrote:
Skylark wrote:
jeroz wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, can we get it straight that THIS IS NOT AN INCEST show yet?

sooner or later this will be a running joke.

I thought it was already there.

btw how many episodes do you think it will be before they get it on?

They already did twice in the first episode. They are saving the bedroom scenes prior to him waking up for the bluray release.

You know what? All of you are jerks Razz (j/k)

And I think we'd need more magic white steam for a bluray buy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the second eppie a lot - the clash between Goth Girl and Little Sister was classic otaku chest-thumping: reminded me of interactions I've seen here at ANN.

And for those of you who keep on insisting this is not an incest show - you are correct in the technical sense, but you'd have to be blind and deaf not to see some of the overtones. The two leads often act like the typical guy-tsundere double team of school rom-coms. It's impossible to miss.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
the clash between Goth Girl and Little Sister was classic otaku chest-thumping: reminded me of interactions I've seen here at ANN.

Your right Laughing now it feels even funnier, it really was like the classic moe vs dark fights that we often see on here, so which members are on this site, and tall girl is a really patient moderator. I guess that is what you can get with a show with otaku themes. Also anyone think it kind of funny that the goth girl is more actual moe.

And yes there is definetly some tones that point to the incestial themes, especially if you compare it to a range of tsundre shows, like Toradora, but who knows could be an accidental parody. Although you might want to be prepared when reading any doujin. I myself have a younger sister, I can relate to the guy having an annoying sister, so I can also enjoy this show in that manner.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

You know what? All of you are jerks Razz (j/k)

In all fairness, the author of the novels is teasing a lot, and upping the ante. It does not stay away from that particular theme.

I think you're spot on, Blood-. I think any anime community can attest the same. The author seem to know his stuff when it comes to debates like that. I'm mostly looking forward to exploring the brother and sister's relationships with the otaku. I don't think it would be as in-depth as Genshiken, but at least something similar...
killmyself

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 am Reply with quote
I disagree with the comparison to Toradora and calling Kirino a tsundere. Toradora immediately established itself as a romantic comedy with both Taiga and Ryuji having crushes. Neither Kirino nor Kyosuke have shown any romantic feelings in this yet and Kyosuke has actually shown zero sexual interest in any of the women he has encountered. Kirino is just stuck up and full of herself she isn't acting aggressively towards others to hide her feelings.
jeroz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
people kept mistaken apathetic/hostile as tsundere. Yes that might be classified as tsun but where's the dere part? hello? it's not even tsundra.

Anyway, even if the author hinted at that possible direction, it will not go there during the course of the anime. Whoever that wants to see incest this season please go watch another show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
jeroz wrote:
people kept mistaken apathetic/hostile as tsundere. Yes that might be classified as tsun but where's the dere part? hello? it's not even tsundra.

Anyway, even if the author hinted at that possible direction, it will not go there during the course of the anime. Whoever that wants to see incest this season please go watch another show.

Yeah, hello, you can already see signs that she is becoming less hostile towards her brother. wait for it the dere part is coming. And again, I was careful to characterize this element as an "overtone" not a point-for-point perfect match. I get the impression that some viewers are really invested in denying that there is even a hint - a smidge! - of anything other than a straight up sibling relationship. Which is kind of ridiculous. Why would a "normal" brother be so invested in jumping through his sister's hoops?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
The very first episode was called I couldn't possibly love my sister", I have seen simular uses of episode titles that say that usualy means the opposite of the title name. Anyway I am not hoping it will turn out that way, I am just saying it is there.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
I feel a little guilty for watching the second episode, I really meant to watch it exclusively on ANN... that is if it's able to return. I figure some announcement should be made today- their other show was originally scheduled for tomorrow- if they want to make that one available they'll have to make a decision soon.

Anyways. How I look at their relationship in a positive light:
I do not have a sister but I do have two brothers and I see a little bit of my relationship with my siblings in theirs. My brothers and I are in no way hostile, but we're not really buddies either. They're my older brothers and I have sometimes looked up to them but our differences separate us too much. I know how I feel about it, I very often WISH we were closer, these are my brothers- we should want to be with each other more often, we should want to know each others thoughts.

So, I can see this as a story of siblings (especially the brother) who long for a closer relationship with their sibling but have trouble understanding each other. It's a good basis for a story.

Is there a subtext? Well don't think of it as a subtext- think of it as light metafiction. This show is describing a situation by employing the concept itself. It's plainly stated, (but made more of a problem because the story now is actually an anime instead of a novel):
"Real" people in the 3-D world can and often do find cute little sisters in the 2-D world sexy and will find a sexual relationship with their 2-D brother more plausible- something they'd not be likely to do in the real world. Even though this is a story in which there is a separate 2-D world (maybe we should call it 1-D?) the characters themselves are still 2-D characters to us. You are told "Don't confuse the 3-D world with 2-D"... but what are you to think when the one saying this is actually 2-D?

In the case of a novel, even a light novel with the occasional cartoony illustration, the meta situation isn't as pronounced because a reader can more easily put themselves into the shoes of a character that isn't necessarily 2-D.

If this were somehow adapted into a game however- heads would explode.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Anyways. How I look at their relationship in a positive light:
I do not have a sister but I do have two brothers and I see a little bit of my relationship with my siblings in theirs. My brothers and I are in no way hostile, but we're not really buddies either. They're my older brothers and I have sometimes looked up to them but our differences separate us too much. I know how I feel about it, I very often WISH we were closer, these are my brothers- we should want to be with each other more often, we should want to know each others thoughts.

I have a big brother and grew up in a town where every family had more than one child, so I can totally understand what you mean. Having siblings is all about being tsundere to them!

Spastic Minnow wrote:
If this were somehow adapted into a game however- heads would explode.

Ask someone to clean up the mess before clicking this link.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
What a cute lineup of characters in that show. I went to the Oreimo website and noticed that the last name of the tall girl with glasses is Vagina. Not sure if that's intentional, or just due to the language barrier, but I found it funny that she also looks like a guy. Of course the Encyclopedia romanizes her name as Bajiina, but that's close enough to Vagina to make note of it.
jeroz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Yeah, hello, you can already see signs that she is becoming less hostile towards her brother. wait for it the dere part is coming. And again, I was careful to characterize this element as an "overtone" not a point-for-point perfect match. I get the impression that some viewers are really invested in denying that there is even a hint - a smidge! - of anything other than a straight up sibling relationship. Which is kind of ridiculous. Why would a "normal" brother be so invested in jumping through his sister's hoops?

people kept trying to find tsundere in every show, awesome. Stop being so desperate. I said it before, the author was teasing the readers/viewers at some points hence the seemly stereotypical setup in the early parts of the episode. Learn the identify the trolls.
understanding means less hostility, however that's still not a suggestion a dere is coming. Think outside the square for once, people's attitudes toward other people are not that simple.
I can see myself trying to help my siblings when they are in trouble, nothing wrong with that.

however if you use a very broooooad definition of tsundere in this case, then
4nBlue wrote:
Having siblings is all about being tsundere to them!
Very Happy I have no problem with that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
jeroz wrote:
Blood- wrote:

people kept trying to find tsundere in every show, awesome. Stop being so desperate. I said it before, the author was teasing the readers/viewers at some points hence the seemly stereotypical setup in the early parts of the episode. Learn the identify the trolls.
understanding means less hostility, however that's still not a suggestion a dere is coming. Think outside the square for once, people's attitudes toward other people are not that simple.
I can see myself trying to help my siblings when they are in trouble, nothing wrong with that.

however if you use a very broooooad definition of tsundere in this case, then
4nBlue wrote:
Having siblings is all about being tsundere to them!
Very Happy I have no problem with that.

Engrish, please. Wow, I'd love to get into a rilly, rilly interesting convo. with you about the precise definition of tsundere, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
jeroz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
guess someone's tired.....Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 56