• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Is Still Beautiful (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
not sure what shota really mean, but can you really can a person really when he is just young? can you call your little brother shota when he is 12-15?

Yes. 'Shota' is the boy version of 'loli'. A male child or a male who is child-like in appearance. If he's under 15 and looks it, he may be considered 'shota'. If he's older than that but REALLY looks young, he's definitely a shota. Honey from Ouran is (an extremely annoying) shota. Aladdin from Magi is a shota. I tend to think of Edward Elric as 'shota' because he's so short and has a childish voice. But even though Kurosaki Ichigo is the same age as Ed, he's absolutely NOT a shota...since he really looks and sounds like he's 17 or 18. >_>

Now, upon viewing the PV for THIS anime, I confirm:
Yes, that boy is as shota as the day is long and I will absolutely be watching this now. lolz

Quote:
How shojo is it exactly? Like is she gonna turn out to be a tame stay at home mom? Who support her husband from the back and whose husband is gonna show her how to be a responsible woman?

Excuse me but that is not an accurate description of "shoujo".
Mad
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
How shojo is it exactly? Like is she gonna turn out to be a tame stay at home mom? Who support her husband from the back and whose husband is gonna show her how to be a responsible woman?

Excuse me but that is not an accurate description of "shoujo".
Mad

It feel like half the shojo these day are something along the line of "Nanami was just an ordinary boring school girl, until the most popular guy in school started dating her. He then shown her how to dress and apply make up and since then she's really popular and her life finally has meaning. She then hopelessly fall in love with him and the single thought of being separated from him send her in deep depression."
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

It feel like half the shojo these day are something along the line of "Nanami was just an ordinary boring school girl, until the most popular guy in school started dating her. He then shown her how to dress and apply make up and since then she's really popular and her life finally has meaning. She then hopelessly fall in love with him and the single thought of being separated from him send her in deep depression."

Half?

Clearly you are reading or watching the wrong type. Rolling Eyes Try some Tanemura Arina, Ikeyamada Go, Tooyama Ema, hell, even Yuu Watase's recent works

Stay away from anything else in Sho-Comi and otome games
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

The show feels like it's in full sprint. I would definitely appreciate a bit of patience. I can only hope that this was stuff they wanted to get out of the way in order to get to something more interesting, because otherwise the pacing is a mess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to get sort of an FMA vibe from this, in the way they blend SD comedy and poignant drama together. The king looks a great deal younger than 15 (except for the ED butt shot, in which he has the form of a 15 yo), probably because he's so short compared to those around him, but sounds older, like Ed. Sort of like a slightly older Ciel.

It does seem a bit rushed, but better than dragging. Anyway, I enjoyed that. And am now very glad she doesn't have to go around dressed like royalty. Wink
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nice song.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Wow, the second half really picked up a bit in this episode. spoiler[They'll probably find out who tried to kill the king eventually.] Still, Nike was the superstar of this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Wow, the second half really picked up a bit in this episode.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Nice song.

I really hope what we are NOT seeing is an anime season peaking too early. Although the story is simple enough -- simplistic even -- they seemed to have shown that they can wring up considerable emotional impact within its boundaries. As expected, the characters make it happen.

So it seems pretty clear that appearances aside, Nike has a (allegedly potential) mate that is worthy of her after all. Neither side is overly intimidated by the other and neither is a pushover. If they don't mishandle it they probably will have established the anime couple of the year.

Best LOL moment: spoiler[Nike's face when she was in the dungeon.] Second best: spoiler["He divorced me!"]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02 was way better. I am liking the king brat. Because he doesn't really come off as a selfish, mean little boy. He's actually much more mature than I thought he'd be. There's depth and subtlety to his character that I was not really expecting.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Nice song.

Indeed!

And she spoiler[made him cry.]Laughing

The way the two are all cuddly together in the OP is insanely cute.

Quote:
Neither side is overly intimidated by the other and neither is a pushover.

Yeah. I like.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah not my cup of tea, the humor is great and the lead is fun but the love story not so much.

The pacing feel way off. There's not really any reason for her to be falling for him (oh he's sad, I love him) and the show clearly doesn't care about internal logic (spoiler[exiling people after an attempted murder is extremely generous], so there's no reason for it to cause resentment, especially since the king is actually popular with the citizen). There not exactly breaking new ground here spoiler[heck they even had the rom-com things of one of them falling in water and then dragging the other one in]. It seems like there gonna try to paint the way the king rule as bad, but considering he conquered the world and is doing lots for his citizen, including bringing them much needed infrastructure, thats gonna be hard to do.

I'm sure it's great anime for people looking for simple love story, but it's just not what I want.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The pacing feel way off. There's not really any reason for her to be falling for him (oh he's sad, I love him)

It's nothing as lame as that. That would be pity. Not love. And I don't think Nike would be dumb enough to confuse the two.
I would expect the reason for romance to come from them spending lots of time together further down the road. At episode 02, I don't think either one is infatuated past "well, I don't exactly want this person dead so I'll protect him/her".

That's my two cents for now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
This isn't feeling like a love story to me. I don't know how old she's supposed to be, but she feels more like his mother or older sister (which she said herself) than a lover, even with the head in the lap shot. The pulling him into the pool didn't feel like lovers playing like it would in another anime, it was more just, "jeez, kid, lighten up and have some fun already" kind of play. He's more of a charity case to her than a "I love him" emotion. She'd do it for anyone who seemed to have lost their sense of sight toward the beauty of the world, and his being young just makes it more tragic to her.

I could see their relationship becoming a romance in another 3 or 4 years, but unless this series spans more time than expected, I'm not yet sure they're going to go there. I'd like them to surprise me by not rushing into that.

But she's still allowed to feel insulted that he spoiler["divorced" her] so quickly. Very Happy The girl does have her pride, you know.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Can't see at all where people are saying that this pacing of this is a mess. Maybe just a little rushed, but I thought ep 2 still worked beautifully well. I fully agree that this wasn't about romance; this was more a "feeling out" process. Too many series don't do that, so I'm glad to see that any romance which does eventually arise will be worked for. And we knew Nike was a strong character from the first episode, but it's a relief to see that Livius is her equal in personality. For me the most fun relationships to watch are the ones like this, and I love the balance of humor.

I only gave the first episode a 4, and I can see now that I was being too conservative in my evaluation. (The second episode would get at least a 4.5, if not a 5.) It's no surprise that this was our top-rated title of the new season in the Preview Guide; this has "one of the top series of the year" potential if it even comes close to maintaining what we've seen in the first two episodes, and it's likely to be my top-priority weekly view for the time being.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode two the comedy was spot on from both of them. I couldn't help but wet myself when Nike started singing - not because it was a bad song but because it came out of nowhere and I wanted to know who the hell was playing the piano Laughing

I agree with Chiibi. Nike doesn't love him right know, I think she cares for in a way that she feels sorry for him and wants him to see the world the way that she does. She sees that he is angry and hurt inside so I think her caring nature is coming through right now and she just wants to help him. Deeper feelings will develop further through the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Man, what do you guys see in this show? I do not get it at all. I absolutely loathe the King and the whole dynamic between him and Nike seems totally unbelievable. I mean, to me it's a classic case of us being supposed to like him just because he's occasionally not as much of a jerk as he could be. But not only is he a nasty, abusive little shit the rest of the time, he is also by all rights a militant dictator bent on world domination. And yet the show seems to more or less treat him as at worst a slightly irksome brat, if not a tragic character who we're supposed to feel sorry for for having such a bleak outlook. And that would be one thing if they tried to use some past tragedy to justify his behavior. But they rather spell out that he was trying to conquer the world well before any such incident. And that in turn makes his response seem just absurdly unsympathetic. Boo hoo. Mean rebels are trying to kill me for being a militant despot. I'm gonna have a little "life is cruel so that justifies me being cruel" hissy fit and be even more of a despot. Gimme a break.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 34