• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Morose Mononokean (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
By your line of argument, Fushimi is supposed to be blind since he's never portrayed with his eyes open like the other characters.

Yeah I understand characters in anime being shown with closed or squinted eyes, yet can see. But blind youkai was shown specifically opening her eyes when she was able to see, and no indication was given that her situation had changed from leaving the human world. The point stands what I was saying that there were maybes.

Harleyquin wrote:
Regardless of what one thinks about how the two protagonists are characterised, I've always thought about this series as more focused on the setting and the Youkai who traverse the two worlds than on the exorcists. Neither of them are perfect, but they're not meant to be after watching the series to its conclusion.

It does not mean I cannot still talk about these characters so integral to the plot.

Harleyquin wrote:
For those who have nothing constructive to post about the series here, there's always the review feedback thread to vent away. I don't post over there and don't intend to. If it's such a big problem seeing my posts, ask a moderator to delete them all to give you some satisfaction.

So I have nothing constructive to say about the series? I post here over the review feedback thread because I don't have really any comments about the episode reviews, or the comments there. A constructive post does not need to be one that only praises the series and talks about how much they were invested in the story, it can be talking about the elements they do not like. I mean I even kind of addressed my own feelings about how I did not really much appreciate what the characters doing. I have not even mention yet my dislike of the scarecrow story, where it felt frustrating that they were building emotional story on the "death" of an inanimate object that it would feel kind crueller to let the yokai believe it was a person. I will probably be saving that up for my post of the last episode, somewhat similar to what I did with a couple other series, which I think that I actually talk about them in as a constructive way you can talk about Scared Rider and Hybrid x Heart.

And I would not even think about telling a moderator to delete your posts, it would be the opposite of the sorts of things I want discussion between what people liked and what others dislike is kind of vital to see where an anime actually stands. To see the elements that are attractive or don't matter to some viewers, and parts that are not liked or do matter to others. Both are important.

I probably reacted a bit more hostile than I should have, but I found the response you put that I was simply wrong about what the characters said, was something I could not refute until we saw her again. I was not quite willing to go back through the conversation and grab the exact wording.

And lastly, my take on Abeno referring to Ashiya as dangerous was not in reference to any physically dangerous power like he showed a bit near the jerk of a vendor who tried to cut off his hand. Instead I think it was more reference to Ashiya's attitude to youkai and how he could get too involved, perhaps causing something bad to happen because of it. Or it was things like his naïve personality could be a bit infectious and cause scenes like Ashiya tries to Abeno want to do things like help the connection between youkai and human, when he knows from the past can cause pain from getting hopes up.

Oh I noted your disagreement with what I typed. I can't say I agree but it's still the same show and it's still a valid way of interpreting the characterisation of the two protagonists. It also happens to be incomplete since the source material is still ongoing and a definitive answer to either opinion is easily answered by checking up on what happens after the events in these last three episodes.

It's lines like "Well somebody is clearly not watching a legit stream." which the third part of the last post was aimed at. No involvement in discussion either here or in the talkback thread but plenty of time to waste boosting post count with something which doesn't contribute at all to the series discussion. As I mentioned before, if it's such a big deal all of my posts can simply be deleted since the backseat moderator feels so strongly about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin - Posting about an episode that has not aired legitimately is rude. Not "contact a moderator" rude, imo, but rude nonetheless. I do give you points for at least headlining your post with the episode number so I was able to avoid spoiling the eppie for myself. I also cut you some slack because I generally find your posts substantive and thought out. But you should probably learn to get less sensy about when people point out when you jump the gun and write details about a show that the rest of us are watching legitimately.

I rated this series Very Good. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the humour. Zenko is a cutie-pie and I don't blame her father for being protective. I own the first four seasons of Natsume & Friends but have never gotten around to watching them. This series has whetted my appetite, for sure.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Well since someone said moderator and summoned one..... The general rule of thumb here is not to discuss source material, be it a manga or LN, for an anime that has not aired yet. That includes alluding to, even if you're not directly divulging it, material not yet covered by the series. That also includes discussing material you might have seen from non-legal means while others are not up to that point yet via legal methods of watching. Especially since at ANN we do not promote nor discuss illegal sites for anime or manga. All of the above could easily spoil a series for people so let's not do it and tick to what has actually aired legally.

Secondly Harleyquin I suggest you refrain from further thinly veiled insults.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I am not such a big fan of this series. I don't think that there was a satisfactory explanation of why he had not got his sight back and how he got it back. It seemed to be a combination that the trigger of originally getting the sight was that he was scared or something of starting high school, but also something about all the youkai caring for him which returned it but apparently Fuzzy had enough love to do it himself and it had not happened because waiting or something. There was an explanation in there, but it just was not done well enough. Really I would call my problem being that I had a tough time being dragged into the story. I found Ashiya's personality frustrating in how he could act like a doofas, that he could be unreasonable at some times, but too forgiving at other times. I think that there should be some well earned annoyance at someone made you feel sick for days ruining your fresh start, or violently kidnapped you, or blackmailed you, or threatened to cut your hands off, or threatened to kill someone if you did not play with them, or caused problems for others over a scarecrow. Ashiya' forgiveness was meant to highlight that he is a good person, but instead it just made him feel simple minded, convinced by appearances.

By appearances I refer to the various youkai, who were played up as being cute and such, and in a way that separated them from their actions. Fuzzy gets forgiven he is seen as cute, I have seen many comments of people wishing that they could have one too because of cute, but to me that just looks like surface stuff. It ignores its actions of cursing and that its origins as the spirit of an abandoned pet, that it is sad and there should be thoughts there beyond just thinking of it as a cute ball of fur. The sad part is acknowledged in the show, but I felt that the show too much tried to play up the Fuzzy as well as the various other youkai, and it felt that this removed some of the fear/respect they probably deserved in favour of saying; 'aren't this cute and cute and kooky critters fun to watch'.

Abeno kind of acted counter to this in that he always showed respect for youkai he came across, but he just kind of clashed with Ashiya and came across as wet blanket, that or the over the top bowing and the like, Japense way of showing respect that I kind of do not like. The lessons seemed to largely be that Abeno had to learn from Ashiya with his bright attitude into the situations that Abeno had started to grow jaded about, but regardless there are a few times he just looked like a jerk. He did not have to belittle Ashiya, even if some Ashiya's complaints were just stupid, there is a scene that he just lets a youkai go that was apparently dispensing its own justice by cutting the hands off of people it thought were thieves, And not sure if it was connected, but the princess plot was never concluded, like the writer did not know what to do Abeno having the bird girl in love with him other than make it a joke for a couple scenes.

II think that it came across as wishy washy, and beyond being nice I did not care for the main characters that much. The one character I would say that I liked was Zenko, because she did not seemed to be pushed around by terrible personality elements, and there did not seem to be any ulterior motives with her character. Some interesting art choices, but overall not enough to really say it got my attention. I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it did not really catch my attention.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Cultural backgrounds do seem to influence how this show is viewed. The characterisation works for me, but doesn't gel well with those from Europe and the United States.

It is an ongoing series so those who got hooked on this adaptation can always check out what it was based on if some of the explanation was found lacking.

Unless the home retail sales do well, I doubt there will be a continuation though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Cultural backgrounds do seem to influence how this show is viewed. The characterisation works for me, but doesn't gel well with those from Europe and the United States.

Well I have spent my entire life in Australia, but I don't know what that means. Or maybe it does have something my countrymen tend to have an aspect of "telling it like it is", or being a bit of a larrikin, neither of which fall in line with this series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

That strikes me as an unsupported generalization. I'm from Canada (nods to fellow colonial DuskyPredator) and I didn't have a problem with the show's characterization. I liked the dynamic between Abeno and Ashiya. The construct of a clash between a seemingly cold, emotionally reserved figure, who despite his chilly exterior, clearly likes the more passionate, naive person he is linked with is not dazzlingly original, but it's an effective classic.

Just out of curiousity, Harleyquin, what part of the world are you from? Not trying to be nosy, I'm just wondering why, in your view, somebody's origin may impact on how they feel about the show's characterization.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Abeno kind of acted counter to this in that he always showed respect for youkai he came across, but he just kind of clashed with Ashiya and came across as wet blanket, that or the over the top bowing and the like, Japense way of showing respect that I kind of do not like. The lessons seemed to largely be that Abeno had to learn from Ashiya with his bright attitude into the situations that Abeno had started to grow jaded about, but regardless there are a few times he just looked like a jerk. He did not have to belittle Ashiya, even if some Ashiya's complaints were just stupid, there is a scene that he just lets a youkai go that was apparently dispensing its own justice by cutting the hands off of people it thought were thieves

This is the basis for my cultural difference assertion. The "Japanese way of showing respect which I do not like" screams cultural difference, since bowing as an apology is common in Japan and South Korea and is accepted as a matter of course for service personnel. Following on from that, the show makes it quite clear Abeno is in the job to help the youkai and has almost completely given up on human interaction because of the numerous disappointments and negative experiences he's had over the years.

By the way, Abeno didn't know the capybara tried to cut off Ashiya's hand as a punishment since he ran away before he could be apprehended for it on the scene. He was threatened with punishment for physically injuring the fuzzball, but not the knife attack. Even after Ashiya told him the whole story, Abeno didn't think it fit to pursue the matter since the more pressing concern was the injured fuzzball and the whole matter wouldn't have taken place if Ashiya hadn't impulsively left the shop without permission.

Australians have more in common with their interpersonal interactions with Europeans and those from the United States than those from Asia, so I attribute that to DuskyPredator's dislike of how the two characters are portrayed. Not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, but it is a difference that I use to explain the dislike in my head. Nothing more, nothing less.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I see where you are coming from. There is no question that there are some pretty broad cultural differences between Japan/Asia and the West. One of the most obvious is the differing attitudes towards individualism. The West prizes individuality whereas as Asian cultures, especially Japan, put greater emphasis on social harmony within which an individual is expected to contribute.

It's no wonder that one of the most famous lines in Western poetry comes after Satan lands in Hades, brushes off the dust from his leathery wings and jauntily claims that, "Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Hello,
I'm looking for the OST of this anime (not the opening/ending, the others musics). Where can I find them ?
Thank's in advance and... sorry for my english ^^'
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
OST isn't on sale as a stand-alone product.

Since the BD-DVD sales haven't been fully released, it's most likely the OST is bundled with one of the remaining three unreleased volumes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
S2 #1

After just over 2 years, there is a continuation to this series. It is an active adaptation, so I suppose the appeal of the multi-tailed fuzzball hasn't worn off with anime viewers.

Not much has changed with the characterisation of the main cast, although the gap between the two adaptations is large enough for the studio to acknowledge casual viewers need a few reminders as to how Ashiya ended up doing his part-time job and why the legislator has the cheek to ask for him and Itsuki in the aftermath of one of his drunken escapades.

Breezy OP and ED songs like the first season, but the animation for the ED in particular stands out. Static backgrounds but with a weird wide-angle lens/fisheye effect which distorts the final product.

For an opening episode, no time is wasted in getting on with the story arc. Last season introduced the first of the top three in the Kakuriyo, so it's high time the second of the two supreme authorities gets to make his bow. That of course assumes Ashiya somehow survives his little adventure as there is no guarantee with that cliffhanger that he'll make it to his destination in one piece to deliver the message tasked to him.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote

Odd conclusion to that cliffhanger ending, but it more or less sees Ashiya return in one piece. Unfortunately he only delivered the scroll, but did not give the full message from the Legislator which was to apologise for the wrong seal imprint and to ask for an extension on the deadline. The Executor does not appear too happy about the scroll and the Mononokean Master has been named.

Surprising that the big beast from last week turned out to be the third of the Kakuriyo's supreme authorities. He seems easy going, but there's too little to go on him as of this episode to discern what he's really like.

What I found odd about the episode was the cut from the forest to the temple where two recurring characters who have had no relationship with the story arc to date get reintroduced. Probably well and good for those who've forgotten who they are, but it felt forced and unnecessary.

Next week looks like a stand-alone episode, so further character exposition with the main cast hinted in the Legislator's cryptic remarks will have to wait.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote

I thought this was just a typical stand-alone episode with a guest Youkai and seeing more of Ashiya and Abeno play off each other, but it turns out this episode is linked to the bigger picture introduced last week with the ominous Executive starting to dig around the Mononokean and its new employee.

Egen seems nice enough, a prospective Tengu headmaster for the inaugural school to be founded in the Kakuriyo. Unfortunately she's also a pawn as the Executive uses everything he has to achieve his goals. Viewers are not told why the Executive forces Abeno to be more paranoid and guarded than he usually is, but it should be revealed in due course. Ashiya's neurotic outburst towards the end may have been played for laughs, but it does emphasise just how much of a threat Abeno perceives the second of the Kakuriyo's Three Supreme Authorities.

The fox gets the spotlight next week, but will it be a standalone or something linked to the bigger picture? No Zenko for some reason, but there should be entertainment aplenty.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote

This week's guest gives the fuzzball a run for his money as the cutest mascot of the franchise.

The previous season explained why Yahiko cannot leave the mundane world, but the issue crops up again this week because of this week's guest character. Despite his age, Yahiko isn't all that different to a child with bouts of petulance and wilfulness.

Easily the most charming episode this season, and one which comes closest to the melancholy which characterises the Yuujinchou franchise.

Next week is interesting if the trailer is anything to go by. I cannot think of a reason which would lead to the fuzzball getting arrested and sent to the Executive for judgement. Speaking of the Executive, that last shot is almost certainly of his human appearance but it'll be confirmed when next week's episode airs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4