• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No. 6 (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Oooooh, that was badly paced (IMO of course) and seems to have created a few plotholes. Actually HaruhiToy you're right on the money with that villain comment, there's a specific government official who questions Sion both four years ago and in the present day, bit of a sadistic one too, so I can only imagine they cut him due to time.

Anyway spoiler[I swear that there's a half-way decent explanation in the novels for why Nezumi was at the right place at the right time to hijack the car, partially involving said villain actually, and I'm less than pleased at how fast this episode was paced since that was hardly the only stuff cut from the original novel. Yes you can't keep every detail in the story (even though those details help show that yes, the ruling regime of No. 6 are Orwellian and explains their extreme treatment of Sion) but they completely cut out the scene showing why they were charging Sion with killing his coworker and the man in the park, that's just a tad important! ]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Gah, this episode did feel quite fast with spoiler[a time skip. The flashback for an explanation was nice but I would rather see the duration of Nezumi/Rat leaving and what happens after. The government is depicted as totalitarian and there doesn't seem to be a clear villain yet. ]

I also have to agree with HaruhiToy on several points. spoiler[Stripping away Sion's future for housing a refugee seems like too much but that's just how governments are in most dsytopian novels - People who hid books in Fahrenheit 451 had their house burned down as a way to keep order. I believe Sion was arrested for questioning the actions of the officials rather than alleged murder. The government could probably care less about the people.] It appears that I may be wrong about this after reading wandering-dreamer's post but I'll stick to what I wrote.

I have a few speculations but they're not that important: spoiler[The bees that came out of the corpses, I'm thinking that they're planted in the citizens by the government. The bees are "activated" and will gain a growth spurt on those who question the government or rebel.]

Oh, and since you seem to have knowledge about the novels, would you mind elaborating the cut scenes for us, wandering-dreamer?

I also need to read some of George Owell's books.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
I felt the computer asking Sion to "pledge unflagging loyalty to the city" (by signing in with his ID tag) was just a little bit blunt compared to everything before it.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Sure, this is based on the fan-translation of the first novel (don't remember what ANN's policy is on posting a links to fan translations) which is five chapters long (about 200 pages) and it looks like the anime should cover that in three episodes at this pace. Sorry for the wall of spoilers, they honestly aren't huge changes to the story but leaving out these things made the plot feel much more sloppy to me (which is sad since the original novel is just filled with tons of details that really help the setting, although there is a ton of monologue-ing).

EmbraceMe is partially right about the government and Sion spoiler[since they were arresting him for murdering the man in the park and his co-worker but also for questioning the city. There's a little scene left out between Sion's coworked (Yamase) and Sion where Yamase says he used to prepare dead bodies at a hospital and Sion, correctly it seems, accuses him of manipulating records for the city (such as the cause of death which plays into the current events). Sion ends up questioning the city two or three times before Yamase dies and, between those recordings, hiding Nezumi in the past (defying the city again) and the deaths, No. 6 decides to make him the murder (saying that he was a gifted ecology student who, angry at the city for demoting him from the special class, went on around killing people but the brave city managed to stop him before he went even farther). ]

But what really bugged me was that the episode completely cut out how Nezumi knew what was going on. spoiler[In the novel, Nezumi realized that No. 6 was probably going to get rid of Sion someday (literally or figuratively) and has been keeping an eye on him with the mice. So when people start turning up dead around him and the government officials come by Sion's workplace Nezumi tries to warn him by sending one of the mice over to one of the cleaning robots, since Sion has a headset that let's him hear what's going on around the robots and Sion turns on the microphone so Nezumi can hear the officials telling him where they're taking Sion. Nezumi figures out where they're actually going to take him, that government official I mentioned in my earlier post decides to torment Sion some by driving by his mother's bakery and tell him he'll never see her again, giving Nezumi more time to get over, and then Nezumi does the whole carjack thing.]
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
After watching the episode and reading what was left out, I really feel sorry they did not put a few more scenes in (even at the cost of meeting with Sion's friend). the first part felt incredibly slow, the second part of the episode felt so rushed. None of that is necessarily bad, but in this episode, did not work that well. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first episode. The last sequence was probably the most impressive, with the devastated town, industrial towers and the creepy music.

I still have high hopes for it... despite the funny pacing.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
Thankfully this show seems to have kept up the quality for the second episode at least. The action scenes in particular were really well done. Nezumi seems to have learned a few new moves in four years.

I laughed out loud at Shion and Nezumi's dialogue in the car ("I'm taller than you." "That's bull"). I have to wonder if the bit where Nezumi asks him spoiler[how he could go naked in front of his lover looking that skinny] is foreshadowing their eventual epic romance that is totally going to happen.

Quote:
The bees that came out of the corpses, I'm thinking that they're planted in the citizens by the government. The bees are "activated" and will gain a growth spurt on those who question the government or rebel.

That's a good theory, although I wonder if maybe Shion got stung by the wasp between the guy dying and when the security forces showed up.

I noticed that the logo that appears next to the production committee in the opening has a wasp with an eye on it's back, which would seem to indicate that they're part of the oppressive government in some way.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
My God, so much sexual tension!!

Nezumi: "You're so skinny, you're all skin and bones. You'll be embarrassed to remove your clothes in front of your lover."

Shion: "That's none of your business! Have you even seen me naked?"

Nezumi: "And what if I did!?"

Laughing
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Do the government goons seriously have to all wear identical black glasses? There's a point at which you're kind of phoning in your totalitarian police state.

Alternate explanation: All totalitarian police states in the future use the genre conventions of 20th century film making in order to make sure that their citizens properly recognize the secret police when they see them.

The idea of a totalitarian government keeping power by maintaining a utopia (with a dark secret!!!) for its citizens is pretty weaksauce, and I'm surprised intelligent writers keep playing that card. It's a cheap trick for ensuring that the citizens themselves don't have responsibility, so the "good guys" can fight the "bad guys" who run the government. Maybe No. 6 handles this better, but it doesn't look promising.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
So... who's the villain in this anyway?
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
The idea of a totalitarian government keeping power by maintaining a utopia (with a dark secret!!!) for its citizens is pretty weaksauce, and I'm surprised intelligent writers keep playing that card. It's a cheap trick for ensuring that the citizens themselves don't have responsibility, so the "good guys" can fight the "bad guys" who run the government.
But it parallels the world we live in. If our government commits evil we are unlikely to see it. We live in a purportedly democratic society after all.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
The idea of a totalitarian government keeping power by maintaining a utopia (with a dark secret!!!) for its citizens is pretty weaksauce, and I'm surprised intelligent writers keep playing that card. It's a cheap trick for ensuring that the citizens themselves don't have responsibility, so the "good guys" can fight the "bad guys" who run the government.
But it parallels the world we live in. If our government commits evil we are unlikely to see it. We live in a purportedly democratic society after all.

In the world I live in, when the government commits "evil," there are millions of citizens who back it up on it, regardless of whose definition of "evil" you're using. The cackling dictator with a country full of downtrodden slaves doesn't exist without a sizable core of supporters keeping him in power. But if Rat and Shion go on to bring down The Man, it would be a tough sell to have the next step in the story be when they implement the totalitarian control program necessary to keep a new crop of citizens from becoming The Man. And before they realize it, they are The Man. What a downer, though it would actually make for an interesting subversion of the "Fight the Man" genre.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
True. I haven't seen episode 2 yet, so I may get a better idea of what you mean at that point.

I have just one word to say: Lama
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I have my concerns over making something with elaborate of a plot as No. 6 into a one-season show for Noitamina. I've seen similar shows like Jyu Oh Sei, Fractale and C suffer quite a bit in their overall quality because there just isn't enough time within 11 episodes to explore every nook and cranny to the world of such titles and thus far, No. 6's pacing seems to be a bit rushed. I admit the premise seems interesting enough with the distopia society. But I doubt 11 episodes will be enough at telling a good quality story with how elaborate No. 6 appears to be passing itself off as.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I feel it will wind up better than Fractale. At least I hope so.
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
Well at least we know they're gay, not that it's a huge deal but talks about that can simmer down now. No 16 year old dude would say no to sex, the only thing that made me think that he was trying to save it was the two years bit, but then she says something like "you're into guys?". Too much foreshadowing on him being gay. don't mind t, but if they keep making it more blatant it's just going to feel like it's being shoved in your face. Like they want to keep their romance a secret, but not a secret at the same time by giving the audience clues. Too many clues though.

I do think they give people a virus, and I think it's tied into the ID bracelets maybe. If you rebel you will be killed with that parasite bee kind of thing. I think the virus was probably man made to keep the city functioning to the government's standards. I also think the hints at Sion being special probably have something to do with maybe his tolerance to this virus of some sort.

I haven't read the novels, so these are just shots in the dark. Looks interesting though, hope it keeps it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12