• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Usagi Drop (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I am falling more and more in love with Usagi Drop the more I watch of it. It is everything I had hoped it would be, which is awesome since I couldn't help but have high expectations. Honestly, it's so delightful that I get a silly grin on my face when thinking of it. I even pine for the next episode; that's love, right? Right?

Assuming it keeps going strong then I will have my next Masterpiece rating. People who say that all modern Anime are trash obviously have not watched either Puella Magi Madoka Magica or Usagi Drop. Funnily enough, both could superficially be described as Moe shows.

U on a leash too? LOL funny how I got on a leash. Played w/ mods too much eh idc anyways.......

Not my cup of tea, but a good story is a good story. Although, think its bout time that people stop taking things too literal. For example, extremities.

Although, most new stuff is....
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
People who say that all modern Anime are trash obviously have not watched either Puella Magi Madoka Magica or Usagi Drop.

Well, it would be really sad if all of them were trash. But a great majority is (imho), with Bunny Drop and Madoka being two of the few exceptions. And Bunny Drop being a noitamina show maybe doesn't even count as a typical anime (aimed at different people). This year has been particularly weak until now ...

Looking forward to the Bunny Drop movie as well.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was pretty good, even if it was kinda a transitional episode. Plus we got to see Kouki's mom <3
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I only have the first manga volume so far and I find that it's really nice to get past that point, I guess I will hold off buying more until this is done, or at least not read any until then. If I see a good sale on them I'll be sure to pick them up though.

spoiler[Not much of a "will" was that? He says he'll tell the story of her mother but it's only an introduction- or maybe a partial excuse. One thing seems certain, Rin really should find a semi-regular female role model, at least someone who can freaking tie pony-tails. Smile The fact that she was happy with it was super cute though. Won't last long though, I figure she'll be teased about that pretty soon.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I've always assumed that Daikichi's grandfather was not really Rin's biological father and this eppie seems to suggest that instinct is right. Sounds like the Grandpa came into contact with Rin because her mom actually was his maid from an agency and he quite quickly sussed out that Masako (I know a Masako in real life, actually) was not an ideal parent and become sort of an adoptive father to Rin.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-,

Which means that Rin and Daikichi and not even related. That gives the whole thing a new wrinkle!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if that needs spoiler tags or not Blood-. But I think it's better to be safe about it. But I think it's still to early to jump to that conclusion. spoiler[It seemed to me that the girl may have been a bit awkward and maybe she felt a connection with Grandpa's sympathy or understanding which lead to Rin]. But it was a nice episode. More back info on Rin's past and some cute moments. Although that one cute moment in the middle could have been very different in other anime series. spoiler["Put me down! Put me down!" Stranger sees them. "Kidnapper!!!" "Oh no, I know this girl!" "Do you know this man? Is he your daddy little girl?" "No." "Kidnapper! Arrest him!"]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I would not have guessed that spoiler[Daikichi would make contact with Rin's mother so early in the series, I am quite interested to see where this leads as Daikichi will most definetly still be Rin's guardian. I don't think Masako will be the scary person that they may have been trying to lead us in episode 3.] Seeing those kids go at Rin like that worked well story wise, kids can be cruel with what they do not understand, and Koki looks like he might be good too. Koki's mother aint bad either, I laughed at the bit of spoiler[Koki saying "at home she is a noisy old woman".]

I think his job at do her hair was rather realistic, kids tend to do about the same level of style, I think I remember my younger sister having her hair like that when we were younger. And of course she can not keep a secret. It rather cool that she also seems to be rather good with younger kids, loved the bit with the todler at the begining.

In the words of Gir: "I love this show." Wait I think I have been a bit too one note with my thoughts on Usagi drop, must say a bad thing, I know, the wait for more episodes are too long. And I accidently looked on the Wikipedia page Shocked , must not do that again, even if just trying to find the characters names.

@ TatsuGero23
The part of your second spoiler reminds me of Mitsudomoe. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
@TatsuGero23 - I didn't use spoiler tags because what I wrote is my own speculation, unsupported by knowledge of other sources, such as the manga. I had actually meant to mention right at the beginning of the show, but just forgot. I have to admit, the thought first occured to me even before I saw episode one, due to dscussion of spoiler[spoilers about what supposedly happens after manga's time jump.]
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood-
Oh yeah, from Zac's oh so subtle review for the first episode? Yeah... I guess there's no escaping that. But I'm surprise I'm actually able to block that out and all of the random spoilers in the CR comments. Maybe because Rin is so goddamn cute.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
I think episode 4 has been my favourite so far because spoiler[the bit when Daikiichi tries to put Rin's hair up] reminded me of my dad trying to do that to me when I was young and my mum was in hospital. I looked a bit like Rin did after Daikiichi tried, so much so that my friends' mums were able to tell that my dad had done my hair! I think this series really captures a guy trying to raise a kid by himself.
thegoanna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I thought Id watch 1 ep and just kept watching, Mind you I started this around 12:30am!

I can say I now wait with the proverbial " baited breath" for the next episode to appear, and if I get impatient I"ll try and find a retailer!

I am enjoying this as a sweet but still adult anime, some discussions in the series can be a bit that way.

Still I Love Rin and Daikichi, and so far the story is great.

Whesn the next ep due???
AnimeLord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This anime grips my heart Embarassed
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
thegoanna wrote:
Well I thought Id watch 1 ep and just kept watching, Mind you I started this around 12:30am!

I can say I now wait with the proverbial " baited breath" for the next episode to appear, and if I get impatient I"ll try and find a retailer!

I am enjoying this as a sweet but still adult anime, some discussions in the series can be a bit that way.

Still I Love Rin and Daikichi, and so far the story is great.

Whesn the next ep due???

Next episode is every... Wednesday? Thursday? Depends on what hemisphere your in. Right now it's streaming and Japanese TV only. Although the first Japanese DVD of Vol. 1 should be out in the next month or so if they keep to traditional releases. No news on a US or International license yet. Sad Also, are you saying we're weird? Your WEIRD!!! Kidding. Razz

This is a great series but at the same time, series like these tend to fall to the wayside because they don't tend to sell well outside of the fanbase so sometimes they don't even get licensed. Which is a d*** shame too. BUT this series does kinda hit up the moe fans too so maybe there is hope. I think if anything, NIS America will get us a DVD release if other licensers pass on this one.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
...No news on a US or International license yet. Sad Also, are you saying we're weird? Your WEIRD!!! Kidding. Razz

This is a great series but at the same time, series like these tend to fall to the wayside because they don't tend to sell well outside of the fanbase so sometimes they don't even get licensed. Which is a d*** shame too. BUT this series does kinda hit up the moe fans too so maybe there is hope. I think if anything, NIS America will get us a DVD release if other licensers pass on this one.

Siren Visual has announced that it is releasing the series on DVD. Linky thing - you may need to scroll down the page. They ship overseas so all you will need is an all-region player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8