• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
This time there was a magical item show and a restaurant chain trying to take over. Regarding the former I would like to believe that tinkering with a human's soul is not a legal/wise thing to do,

Yeah, not a lot of follow through there. You've read the source material, right? Did they skip a lot of stuff to fit the next bit about the food court in? I, too, thought the verbal smackdowns of the two nobles in training were pretty funny.

Also, I wonder if any of Boxxo's reheatable meals come with condiments on the side? Seems like there could be a market just in that from how he was talking about spices and such being rare.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 05: Vanity, Pride, and Vending Machine

Summary:

Hulemy and Boxxo are recruited by Suori as her engineer and magic item against a family rival. At the gathering, another engineer reveals he has created a mechanical shell and imbued it with a human soul. Later, the owner of a popular restaurant called Chains is trying to muscle his way into the village. Boxxo devises a way to present the small restaurant owners with some simple food items to help them reverse-engineer and improve their own menus.

Comments:

There's actually a lot that happens in this episode. I didn't wanna' make the summary too long, but I omitted some details about Lammis and Hulemy's backstories, as well as a little blurb about Kerioyl trying to recruit Lammis for a thing. That's four subplots, as little as they may seem.

The backstory is a bit tragic. Even as a youngster, Lammis had super-strength, but she was too afraid to embrace the good her destructive power could provide, and people died because of that. I do love me a good redemption story, so seeing the possibility of her either redeeming herself or making a really big save at some point is something to look forward to.

The engineer gathering started off a little comedic. But I feel the fact that a guy was able to basically make an android has potential. While Boxxo and his items might continue to feel like a godsend for everyone else in that world, if magic also exists, like, at a level that you can put souls into machines, that seems like a big can of worms. Although, I'm guessing it's more of a one-off, because then it would lessen Boxxo's presence in the show as a whole.

The restaurant subplot was pretty fun. I'm big on food, and while they didn't give a whole lotta' time and detail to truly highlight the greatness of the culinary arts, I feel these were the taken-for-granted items of the week. This time, however, I feel it's not so much about the convenience of the food items, but the way they're made. I'm sure in this fantasy world, most of the food selection is probably limited to cuts of meat, some soup, bread, and maybe cooked vegetables. But if you start giving the cooks modern ideas, its a whole other world (culinarily speaking) of opportunities for these people to improve the ultimate unifyer (i.e. food).

It's also a little ironic that Kerioyl is this ambitious guy and voiced by Kazuya Nakai. I don't know what his character's true intentions are, but I'm still playing Octopath Traveler II, and he plays Partitio in that, who's also a character from humble beginnings with an ambitious dream. So it's kinda' like they're the same character with similar motivations, but different names. I'm interested to see where that goes.

All in all, this episode had a little bit of everything and was pretty enjoyable.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:48 am; edited 4 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:58 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Yeah, not a lot of follow through there. You've read the source material, right? Did they skip a lot of stuff to fit the next bit about the food court in?

So far I can only remember some small details being skipped, it is a rather faithful adaption. That said, the whole magical show thing is anime original content I believe, but I could be remembering incorrectly. In general not a lot is mentioned regarding the laws in their world.

Episode 06

As for this week's episode, we had some romance and a boss fight. The romance bit was cute and Boxxo showed some real creative thinking with the boss. He can't move, but by combining the many forms that he now has he can achieve quite a bit.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Episode 06: The Fighting Vending Machine

Summary:

Kerioyl and his party set out to investigate the population of crocodile-fiends. But on their journey, they encounter a Stratum Lord, a rare monster akin to the level of a dungeon boss. The party flees, but Boxxo is left behind amidst the chaos. He manages to defeat the monster, earning a valuable coin as a reward. However, the ground beneath him is weakened from the battle, crumbles away, and drops him to the level below.

Comments:

That was an interesting way to see a sentient vending machine fight a dungeon boss. All it took was fried chicken, a bunch of chemicals, and a little fire, and kablooey!

I'm actually impressed by Boxxo's quick-thinking and ingenuity. It almost reminds of MacGuyver, where he can turn basically turn simple item around him into some obscenely useful device. In this case, he defeated a pretty tough dungeon boss, again, with fried chicken, some chemicals, and a spark of fire. Now that's what I call outlandish, yet fun. I'm also wondering if that coin he got will prove to be of some use down the line.

The taken-for-granted Item of the week was the camping port-a-potty. That's another item I didn't even know existed, but it also doesn't surprise me. When you gotta' go, you gotta' go. I think toilets in general are great, as should everyone. I've never used an actual outhouse, but I've used a port-a-potty a few times as a kid. Suffice it to say, I'm glad I have to have clean, working toilets pretty much everywhere I go.

Should be interesting to see how Boxxo sorta' survives on his own, again, in the next episode. I'm sure someone will find him. But he's such a quick-thinker, his interaction with the ones that find him could be fun to watch, as well.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:03 am; edited 4 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 07

You know, I did not expect to say this a few months ago, but Vending Machine is among the best isekai of the season. It is not at the top due to a certain other series. yet I would say it is better than not baking in another world, eternal training arc in another world and dungeons drop food in another world.

Another fun episode this week. Boxxo made some new furry friends who have healthy appetites and explored the labyrinth with them. Said labyrinth was rather dangerous with plenty of monsters and that huge burning skeleton skulking about. I was thinking that it might be several episodes until he met his group again, but that was not the case.

Some short notes:
Surely that coin drop from the boss is not actually useless right?
Some more unique vending machines this week including one made out of cardboard.
I wonder if the world is basically one huge dungeon or if it is like Danmachi with one crazy huge dungeon with many layers.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:30 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
You know, I did not expect to say this a few months ago, but Vending Machine is among the best isekai of the season. It is not at the top due to a certain other series. yet I would say it is better than not baking in another world, eternal training arc in another world and dungeons drop food in another world.

Did the one about actually being the strongest get better after I quit watching it?

But yeah, I have to agree that the baking and,...clericing? clericking? isekai have kind of petered out after promising beginnings. They're still okay for unwinding after getting home from work, but I doubt I'll ever rewatch them unless they change something.

As to My Unique Skill et al, that was kind of the low hanging fruit from the beginning quality wise, but it's remained a consistent guilty pleasure that's probably my favorite isekai of the season oddly enough. I make fun of its inconsistencies when I post about it, but it's dumb fun even if it hasn't reached I got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in This One levels of miraculous entertainment value in the face of storytelling incompetence.

But I certainly agree that this anime has been consistently enjoyable, and I probably will rewatch it some day.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
Am I actually the strongest did get somewhat better due to a central storyline taking place. We will also soon get a school arc, which might be a fun time.

As for baking and being a cleric, they are solid isekai, but they each have an issue that gets in the way. That said, with cleric we are now leaving the starter town, so I assume that something/action is happening from now on besides training.

My unique skill has a rather weid concept/setting and it works to its favor to keep things interesting.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:22 am Reply with quote
7:

The peak of the entire series.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 08

This week we got some answers and plenty of combat (prep) to take a boss down. The using the coins to get a wish granted sounds a bit untrustworthy, but it does make for a solid motivation for the guild of fools to go around and beating floor bosses. The fight itself was over pretty fast, it was mostly about being tactical and making using of the options they had. In this case Boxxo got rid of the flames with carbon dioxide and used his durability to finish the job. Also nice use of the balloon/force field combo.

Oh right, I do not understand Boxxo's issue with becoming human. If he can truly wish for whatever he wants, why not wish for the option to transform between human mode and vending machine mode?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote

Episode 07: The Voracious Devils

Summary:

After defeating the Crocodile-Lord and falling below to the next stratum, Boxxo finds himself in the middle of a giant maze, but also learns he earned one million points of experience than he can use for upgrades. He, then, encounters four young Bearcats, tries to befriend them, and also make them aware of his sentience. However, they fail to notice his sentience and plan to sell him to Chains. Eventually, Boxxo and the Bearcats encounter the maze stratum boss: the Flame Skeletitan.

Comments:

This was a fun episode, especially with those Bearcats. I like how a good majority of the characters in this show were smart enough to eventually realize that Boxxo is sentient, but not these (Bear)cats. I guess it's a good illustrator of the diversity of people/creatures in the show. Then again, these Bearcats kinda' felt like they were still kids, too, so that might've be contributed to their decision to not think the wiser.

I would say this episode's item-of-the-week was the solar panels. I won't say they're taken-for-granted, because solar panels are still pretty dang expensive, and hence, currently impossible to take for granted, because not a lot of people have the moolah to acquire them so easily.

[Quick off-topic quandary] I wonder just how much energy efficiency comes from really good panels, though. Is the cost-effectiveness recovered in a quick enough time-frame? For me, summers here in Texas can get hellaciously hot, and I've been keeping my two-story house around the 80s during the day, and only turn the downstairs thermostat to 78 so my mom can sleep a little more easily (I sleep at 80 upstairs and use a tower fan on Low in my bedroom).

My electric bill during the winters is barely over $100 each month (house is about 2400 sq. feet and we have gas heating), and spring bills are usually under $200, because it's still not that hot. However, summer came, and it got hot. We started keeping the house in the 80s since about mid-July (when the billing cycle ends), and from mid-June to mid-July, the bill was about $380, and that's keeping the house around 80, sometimes high-70s at night. But from mid-July to mid-August (with lots of 100 degree days), even with the house in 80s, we still had a bill of $477.

Let's say decent solar panels cost, I dunno, $15K-25K. Even if I saved $1200 a year, I would cover the cost for another 12.5 to almost 21 years. What the heck's the point? I could turn that money into so much media, or put it towards building a new forever home. I love the concept of solar energy. But holy moly, it does not sound cost-efficient, at all.[/quandary]

That Flaming Skeletitan looks like a real challenge. I wouldn't have thought Boxxo could've defeated that Croc-Lord. But with all the experience points he got from that, and maybe with that seemingly useless coin, he'll devise some outlandish way to win, especially with the rest of the gang around.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:05 am; edited 5 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote

Episode 08: The Flame Skeletitan of the Labyrinth Stratum

Summary:

Kerioyl tells the group of a rumored legend, that if one can collect six coins from defeating Stratum Lords, the summoner will have the ability to be granted anything they wish. Boxxo hears this and mulls on the prospect of regaining his human form. In the meantime, the Menagerie of Fools attempt to devise a plan to trap and defeat the Flaming Skeletitan. But Boxxo realizes a serious flaw in their eventual plan.

Comments:

Another great example of science and modern ingenuity put to good use. The surprising item-of-the-week was dry ice. I honestly forgot it even existed, as I hardly see it used on that frequent of a basis around me. It sucks if you're a giant Flaming Skeletitan trapped in a hole full of carbon dioxide you just created from melting it, though. Add to the fact that Boxxo transformed into a giant weight and used his height and gravity to dive on in, and you got another fun way for a vending machine to fight.

The show continues to impress me with how over-the-top, but also full of heart it is. It's very adventurous, too. If you told me at the beginning of the season a vending machine would be traversing some fantasy world and eventually defeating dungeon bosses by himself, I'd have scoffed and shrugged this show off. But color me impressed, it's shaping up to be a real hidden gem.

If you think about just how much Boxxo has done to this point, his whole existential crisis is a pretty good piece of drama. He's already done so much for the people around him and has the potential of doing so much more. He's practically ageless, and barring any major physical damage, he could theoretically live forever and continue helping that world in his vending machine form. Then again, you have to consider the human element. Yes, it's weird to think of a reincarnated vending machine as having a "human" element, but that's the beauty of the story.

I think it'd be happy ending, either way. If he stays a vending machine, he'll be forever useful. If he became a human, again, I feel he could still contribute with his knowledge. But he might also be able to give physical companionship to Lammis. Or, what if he could switch between human and vending machine form? That's probably too contrived. But if these dragon balls- I mean, coins, are the real deal, it'll be interesting to see how he ends up.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

A bit of a calm episode this week with no new vending machines or major threats. The new adventurer is pretty interesting in that he seem trustworthy and yet very sus at the same time. On a side note: how did those enemy magicians get water and soap in their eyes while wearing some sort of mask? I giggled at the post credits scene, fake vending machines make sense.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought the new adventurer and Lammis were kicking up a few sparks.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Episode 09: A Less-than-Ideal Hero

Summary:

The group makes a stop at the Hunter's Association headquarters surrounding the maze stratum, where the Menagerie of Fools return to decide to split, and Director Bear asks Lammis and Hulemy to begin mapping the maze. They meet a handsome adventurer named Mishuel, who seems like a heartthrob, but is more than meets the eye. He joins the group, when Lammis begins to appear unwell. And they eventually encounter assassins out to take Mishuel's life.

Comments:

It's a weird coincidence that I watched this episode shortly after capping the episodes of Demon Slayer when Zenitsu first appears. This Mishuel guy is way less manic, but he reminds me so much of the former in terms of his social anxiety. And go figure, he's also a badass when he needs to be. With his introduction, I'm now kinda' wondering if this anime will go beyond the one 12/13-episode cour I thought it would get. I could definitely see this getting, at least, one more cour with how reasonable the pacing feels, right now.

While Boxxo's journey is surprisingly adventurous, there seems like a good story or two lying in wait with the Menagerie and Mishuel. They both seem like they've got fairly attainable goals that could be resolved in 2-3 episodes apiece. Plus, there're still more coins they have to get for the wish thing, which will ultimately lead to Boxxo's endgame. If this does get another season, I hope they use another BRADIO song. I get pepped up every time I hear them.

Anyway, items of the episode are feminine hygiene products and the washing machine. The usefulness of both should be obvious: one to prevent mess, the other to clean up the mess, should it not be prevented. Some extra washing tips: use hydrogen peroxide on a sponge or bar soap for blood stains; for tough smells, you can try initially washing the item in vinegar (don't forget to rinse well), then doing a regular wash/rinse afterwards.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

A rather calm episode this week. I like how we get 2 or so action episodes followed by a chill slice of life one. This time they dealt with an all you can eat contest and helping out an orphanage of sorts. It shows that there is fun to be had, but life in the dungeon can be rather harsh too. Also, rip to the bandits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4