• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaze no Stigma.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Episode 11 and it was alright. It gave some more screen time for Ren which made me to start liking him now. Kaze no Stigma is really getting interesting now that spoiler[Ren is going to save Ayumi and rid of the Tsuwabukis' tradition.] What really interests me is what's going to happen on Mt. Fuji, I hope it gets decimated Very Happy
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Thoughts on Ep 12-17 -
Very Happy = Great!
Smile = Good
Neutral = Average
Sad = Not good

Episode 12: Sad
[Conclusion to arc consisting of episodes 10-11-12.]

spoiler[The conclusion to the Tsuwabuki arc, they picked one of the worst ways to wrap the arc up, and the whole thing was really lame. Ren's sorrowful bawling over Ayumi's death was hardly anything impactful, considering he only knew her for a mere 2 days (or maybe less), and forgets completely about the incident in subsequent episodes. Kazuma and Ayano's "omg Ren we're sad with you" was silly and kind of decreases my respect points for the two of them. The whole "oh noes I'm a victim too I was tricked by the evil monster" Kureha thing was stupid, half of my motivation of watching the arc was to build up my dislike of her and see her getting what she deserved (aka getting beaten the crap out of by Kazuma), not to see her play victim and start chopping up the monster with the others. Just this whole "a big monster appears in the end it's all a conspiracy by him/it!" thing is getting amazingly lame and repetitive and should stop. Worst episode so far, although I profess, I do like the fairy.]

Episode 13: Neutral
[Standalone silly filler episode.]

spoiler[The whole "pretend it's an actual mission for the purpose of Kazuma x Ayano development" is also getting kind of old, but this episode was at least mildy entertaining compared to the previous one. The ferris wheel scene was actually chillingly creepy and mysterious and one of the best scenes in the episode, especially the transition from sunset to night. The rest of the episode was loaded with cliches, but since this is a filler comedy episode, this is more forgivable than in the previous. Still...meh.]

Episode 14: Smile
[First episode of 14-15 arc introducing a new character.]

spoiler[Katherine has a really hollow boring stereotypical "oh-ho-ho-ho!" rich girl personality, but that's okay, the prospect of something happening and impressive visuals in the sky-restaurant (battle included) were enough to make this episode a pretty good watch. Well it's nice to see Ayano have a rival, and the fact that Katherine is blissfully unaware of how monstrously strong Kazuma is and how he could beat her in 10 seconds if he wanted to, and Kazuma acting cool (and succeeding) in this episode pulled me through and I enjoyed it.]

Episode 15: Neutral
[Last episode of 14-15 arc.]

spoiler[Ugh...Kazuma reveals himself in the least imaginative way, and acts as Katherine's coach, which makes Katherine and Ayano's match kind of dull since I can't really cheer for Ayano anymore (Kazuma's too badass). The really boring grass field stadium thing also kills the suaveness that was the sky-restaurant uber-slick fight. Nice to see Katherine got stronger with a new power and likes Kazuma (ohnoes, Love Rival!), but eh...it was kinda dull.]

Episode 16: Smile
[Standalone filler. Yet again.]

spoiler[Looks like the show now has a clear direction: A love-romance-comedy about a strong dude and his quick-tempered cousin as they slowly come to love each other (and concurrently hate each other, what an inspiring love...), with a little action on the side (in which lame storytelling and repeated cliches and big stupid conspiracy-making monsters are a must just to remind us that this is a love between two martial artists). I've kinda given up, the show's not going anywhere, Gonzo doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about it, and this is unfortunately the core focus of the story. Nevertheless, ignoring my dismal views on the show as a whole and where it's headed, this episode was a fun little turn-off-your-brain and enjoy yourself episode. A trip to the hotsprings, which means super-fanservice (a little for the ladies too...). The fights between Kazuma and his dad were amusing to watch, as well as them flinging insults at each other and remaining stubborn and saying the same things every time to affirm their stubbornness. I'm not sure whether the episode was supposed to be serious or not, but it was fun to watch and I enjoyed it. Plus, Kazuma lying on Ayano's lap = win.]

Episode 17: Very Happy
[First episode in an arc lasting ? amount of episodes.]

spoiler[Hooray for parodies and heavy vibes for other shows! (although some of them probably stems from me thinking too hard). Right off the bat, that creepy website gave off Jigoku Shoujo vibes, with the Jigoku Tsusshin connection and all. Then, Nanase's high jump scene gave me heavy Suzuka vibes, given that Nanase has the same short-blue haired look and was...doing high jumps. That otaku guy's power was an obvious parody of DB/Z/GT, with "A-ki-ha-ba-ra" instead of the usual call, that was gold! The whole giving power game thing kind of reminds of me of Law of Ueki for a similar concept and premise. The scared-to-death detective who has no idea what he's getting himself into reminds me of Death Note. And lastly, that mysterious girl in the end, who immediately reminded me of Tohsaka Rin in terms of looks, and coincidentally her name is Rin too! As for further comments, I hope that this is the start of an arc that will last the entire rest of the show, because it's certainly doable with this premise. Also, I liked how this shed a new light on Nanase (and Yukari to some extent) and made her more likeable than before. And I thought those tennis club girls got what they deserved...even if a dirty pervert is doing indecent things to you (hate that guy, by the way), you can't consider yourself in the right if you then proceed to surround him in a circle and take turns beating the bloody hell out of the guy...and then sending just him to get in trouble with the police and placed under house arrest...]

All my last hopes for the show lie in Episode 17, which could potentially be the start of a new and very good (and hopefully long!) arc. Otherwise...this show is really going nowhere, I was too optimistic before, and I'll make sure to be even more cynical and wary of Gonzo more than I already was.
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
gotta agree with u there :/ the first 4 episodes had so much promise and kazuma was a pretty dam cool main character
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
All my last hopes for the show lie in Episode 17, which could potentially be the start of a new and very good (and hopefully long!) arc. Otherwise...this show is really going nowhere, I was too optimistic before, and I'll make sure to be even more cynical and wary of Gonzo more than I already was.

they did start a new arc but it was a lil past 17. about time things are starting to get intersesting again especially in ep 21spoiler[kazuma went berserk after burnheart used his first loves image. he was torturing people just to get information but i liked it when he shows people how strong he really is like they were crap under his feet. his eyes turned rez and his wind is now blackish. also i think the ending theme has relevance to whether its a filler episode or serious one because i noticed it jumps back and fourth with no real pattern]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ElementSun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I would know what you were talking about if the fansubbers would just hurry up >Sad
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Heh yeah he really is pissed. I would like to know what he was doing to the spoiler[fake mages it looked like he was scrambleing their brains with all the violent jerking they were doing.] Deffinatly an interesting way to use his wind powers, who knew the wind was so versitile. Shocked
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Next, let's examine stuff Gonzo has done. I've marked series considered by many to be screwup #1 in bold,

I was just wondering Frentymon about one titled you listed here. I know it's a bit OT so I apologize. But how do many people consider Speed Grapher to be such a screw up? I watched it and happened to really enjoy it so I was just wondering on that.

As for the topic at hand. I've heard mixed reviews about the show and it's been interesting reading the varying posts here and getting people's take on the show. I stumbled upon it by accident while looking for new anime wallpapers and found a few from the show. Got me interested, as it looked like a Gonzo work, and I checked into it. Besides the basic synopsis nothing much else could be found. So this thread has been very informational. I was wondering what people think the likelihood of it being licensed here is? I don't want to ask the typical when's this show coming over here question. I know what that answer will be. I was just curious, especially from you frentymon since you seem to have a good bit of info on the show obviously, what the likelihood of it being licensed is? It seems like a fun show so I'd be really interested in following it myself.
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
here are my thoughts on peoples impressions of the show. starts out with a typical small fight scene at the start of the show and then theres when you see the flaming sword. many people think it is a "ripoff" of shakugan no shana at first but its different. hell the exact same thoughts are on several other forums can be easily found. i can understand that because i got that same impression, the only thing thats similar is the sword really. i did feel that the show started out with potentially interesting plotline and i was very impressed up to the 4th episode as mentioned earlier. dont get me wrong its not like i hated the rest of the episodes but i feel the quality of the storyline dropped substantially. the episodes afterward were more of kazuma bonding with ayano and felt like fillers to build up a conflict later on.

i do think that kaze no stigma has a chance of being licensed. my reasons are that it seems to be fairly popular outside of ANN and the show itself seems to be more likely to appeal as an american show. my opinions can change since the show hasn't ended yet.
heen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here watch Kaze no Stigma?

Is it me or is Incest something that japanese people dont care about? In this anime there is definetly some incest going on and whats worse is that the guy is 22 years old and the girl is 16 years old.

Whats with Japan and their weird romance fetishes lol ? It's making it very awkward for me to watch this series.

This is also not the first anime i've seen that has some incest in it, Elfen Lied also has incest between family members.

Whats goin on japan?
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I think you mean Koi Kaze instead of Kaze no Stigma.

Secondly, I am not too sure that Elfen Lied can compare since cousins having a romantic relationship is not quite the same as siblings. As to how incest is regarded in Japan I honestly do not know but if you would care to watch a series that deals with the subject in detail you should check out Revolutionary Girl Utena, it covers an overtly incestuous relationship and hints at two others that veer dangerously close to incest.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, for one thing, the US is one of the only countries which prohibits marriage between cousins.

It's considered normal in Japan, and only slightly odd in Europe(some of europe).
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Marriage between first cousins is legally allowed in Japan (and from what I've heard it's not socially taboo).

Read these for more information about this subject in anime.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IncestIsRelative
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrotherSisterIncest
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
NocturnalUX wrote:

Secondly, I am not too sure that Elfen Lied can compare since cousins having a romantic relationship is not quite the same as siblings. As to how incest is regarded in Japan I honestly do not know but if you would care to watch a series that deals with the subject in detail you should check out Revolutionary Girl Utena, it covers an overtly incestuous relationship and hints at two others that veer dangerously close to incest.

I think they did mean Kaze no stigma. It has themes of two cousins, the main chracter named Kazuma has a Uncle who has a daughter. The family is often trying ti push them together.

It also makes me wonder how Kazuma's younger brother can refer to both his older brother and (what i'd call his cousin) (the daughter) as his brother and sister.

...I hope that made sense
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
heen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
NocturnalUX wrote:

No, i actually mean Kaze no Stigma

anime#7473 .

The poster above me is correct, his lil brother refers him as brother and the chick as sister which is just weird.

Well I guess this shows the difference in cultures in our worlds Razz just not right for me haha
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Incest seems to be a theme that is being explored more of late, even in American media. At very least, multiple soap operas have explored it (Passions has done stuff with it a few times, while Guiding Light had a pair of cousins fall in love and get married...their mothers were half-sisters which is how I guess they were legally allowed).

And you can definitely find incest or pseudo-incest in books as well. VC Andrews is rather infamous for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4