• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Un-Go (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I think the key to Inga and Shinjuro is taking them together, rather than judging them on their individual merits. On the surface, Shinjuro is your dime-a-dozen detective (albeit one constantly at odds with the views of authority) and Inga his precociously curious ward (albeit one who freakishly matures into a supernatural question-asking machine.) But look at how the two interact and a whole new can of worms are opened. Why is it that child Inga is Shinjuro's ward while adult Inga is Shinjuro's boss? How much control does Shinjuro have over the process in the first place? Does he decide what questions to ask, or does Inga?

She's a lot more than a supernatural gimmick, really; it's pretty clear that she's the one in control, while Shinjuro--despite being The Detective--is left to pick up the pieces. It has to mean something that the truths put forward by Shinjuro's nemesis are easy and convenient for everyone involved, while Inga's methods of discovering the truth are terrifying and essentially violate the mind of the receiver. The truth hurts, in any case.

There's also the whole question of how exactly the brown-haired woman in the ED (who appears at the very beginning of episode 1, and who mouths the word "Inga") ties into the plot. All in all there's plenty of fertile ground for an underlying Grand Mystery to tie the whole story together.

I actually think that this show would be pretty neat to watch in tandem with Guilty Crown: both shows deal with government conspiracies, terrorist attacks and mysteries, but while Guilty Crown is unoriginal but well-made, Un-Go is a lot quirkier, less stable and probably more challenging. I wouldn't say that either is perfect (though I prefer Un-Go personally) but it's definitely interesting to see how they compare and contrast. Makes me wonder if the people behind Noitamina did this deliberately (though I'm probably giving them too much credit)

Anyway, Un-Go had a rough start but after two more episodes I think this has the potential to be something really intriguing. Don't see a ton of love for it in this board, but hopefully I can hold up my end and we'll see how things go?
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
I find it really odd that even before the Inga routine to get out a confession, the case has usually already been solved.

No you think that way because the anime foreshadows too much.

Anyway, none of the mysteries are ever completely solved until Inga asks her/his question. That's this anime's trend or signature. Everything that occurs prior Inga's involvement are just speculations. After Inga does her/his vodoo whatever, then the Defeated Detective validates the truth or his theories.

It kinda sucks since, you should know by now that speculations = truth. Meaning, I really don't consider this a mystery anime anymore. The mystery is taken out of the equation. Well idc the music is cool.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Well that was a bit better. I had a feeling it might pick up some based off of Kaishou's daughter's remark to the female prosecutor in ep 3 about "Not going to quiet this up for the government's sake" or however she worded it. I'd hoped that meant they would start to get around to the real meat of this plot.

In ep 4, Inga transforms but without the silly sequence! The doll spoiler[sucking and licking various parts of Shinjuro Rolling Eyes.] It was creepy and awkward to watch. Shinjuro and Inga appear to be under surveillance by spoiler[the military.] At least we now have some evidence that this show will pick up. Now I just have to decide if I'll stick around to see it.

I went into this episode thinking I was giving it till episode 5 to show me something or I could even drop it after 4 if it was awful enough. I'll give it 2 more episode to see if Un-go can continue to build on the little bit that was shown here.

Also, Inga apparently spoiler[eats human souls]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Great episode. I hope it's a sign the series is taking off. The extra character in the end credits is now revealed - the spoiler[RAI Kazamori] - who looks as if it will join Shinjurou and Inga in their team. It makes for a fascinating trio: spoiler[human, machine and spirit]. Another hopeful possibility is that the series is not a detective show after all; rather, it's about the use of AI in a future, very nasty world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
Gotta love it when something is better than expected.

Un-Go doesn't offer anything that original, but the writing is pretty good. The character design is really good (as expected of Bones), and the voice acting feels fresh. And to boot the two protagonists make an interesting couple.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm still a week behind but from what I've seen this show isn't getting any better. Episode two follows essentially the same formula and suffers the same flaws as episode one. Episode three actually starts better, giving us a somewhat more even introduction that actually builds some intrigue. However, that basically means that setup takes up the whole episode and leads to a very brief and unsatisfying (not to mention, just silly) ending slipped in just as things were getting a bit interesting. Another problem with this show is a serious lack of world building. So far, all three episodes have been directly tied to this unique world the show takes place in and yet, we really haven't gotten a coherent picture of what kind of world it is. There's a bunch of brief and largely incoherent flashes but nothing really to give us a clear picture. I don't know. People's comments give me some hope for episode four but otherwise I'm probably going to drop this soon.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
...Episode three actually starts better, giving us a somewhat more even introduction that actually builds some intrigue. However, that basically means that setup takes up the whole episode and leads to a very brief and unsatisfying (not to mention, just silly) ending slipped in just as things were getting a bit interesting...

It's not the ending. It's the first half of a two part story. See the comments above re the fourth episode. Don't give up yet. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well, I'm still a week behind but from what I've seen this show isn't getting any better.

If you were hoping for a good detective series then it probably never will. I didn't mind tuning in just for chibi-Inga's antics, but at least now it is starting to focus less on its mundane elements and bringing the more interesting ones to the foreground.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the fourth episode quite a lot; what a relief, I thought I wasted my time on the first three. Inga trying to spoiler[persuade Kazamori to give her answers and failing miserably as he was a machine] was quite funny.
So there is some potential in there after all, hopefully the series will be going in this direction.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:

If you were hoping for a good detective series then it probably never will.

Hmm, as a detective series this isn't that strong since there's that lady cheating with her power (even though the guy seems to be the one uncovering the one behind it for her). And since I get all my detective story satisfaction from Detective Conan I don't really care.
Ninety-9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen 2 episodes, so far.

IMO, it has all of the ingredients to make it a really good show, but the story just isn't that interesting. Almost no part of the show really contributes to further development.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
...Episode three actually starts better, giving us a somewhat more even introduction that actually builds some intrigue. However, that basically means that setup takes up the whole episode and leads to a very brief and unsatisfying (not to mention, just silly) ending slipped in just as things were getting a bit interesting...

It's not the ending. It's the first half of a two part story. See the comments above re the fourth episode. Don't give up yet. Wink

Well that's good to hear.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode four.

Did... Did UN-GO just get good? Shocked
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes. And episode 5 continues with the improvements having several twists and with Shinjuro proving himself to be fallible, if understandably so.

I was thrown for a while how the policewoman Koyama Izumi could be simultaneously with Kaishou and at the scene of the crime until I figured out that Kaishou must have been looking at events afterwards.

The most interesting characters are Inga and Kazamori, although my opinion of Shinjuro is going up.

(And, contemporary anime's ubiquitous lolicon makes its appearance in this episode.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Well well well, episode five was certainly the best thus far. One could even call it good without having to use qualifications. Not only was the mystery interesting and themes of sacrifice and heroism well explored, but we also got more character background too.

It's like the pieces are falling into place and the outcome is a proper, quality show rather than the disjointed mess we had before. If UN-GO keeps up the good work and can continue to improve, then I can see it being one of the better shows this season and something I can readily recommend to people.

Definitely pleased with how this show is finding its feet. One good episode out of five should not be cause for too much celebration, I understand that. But in the same stroke, it is only fair to congratulations when something is done right.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6