• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Owarimonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Alternatively they get her to sing for the OP song in the upcoming movie since that is technically Kiss-shot's debut in the franchise according to the chronological order of events. Some of the other VAs have done multiple OPs however so I'm betting on a contractual issue being the cause.

Kizu is Araragi's arc, and if we don't get a Kamiya OP I riot. And by riot I mean I might make one or two slightly angry/disappointed-worded posts on the internet. That'll teach 'em.

Kaiki Deshuu is the only male character in this franchise involved in an OP song, even then it's only in a pairing with Senjougahara's voice actress which is unusual since he was introduced in Nisemonogatari.

It's Shinobu's arc for the movie just as much as it is Araragi Koyomi's. Frankly what they choose for the OP (if at all) isn't going to take into any consideration cheeky protests worded in English by insignificant human specimens like you or me since we carry no clout whatsoever compared to the hordes of Japanese fans who decide whether the movie is going to succeed in its initial airiing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Kaiki Deshuu is the only male character in this franchise involved in an OP song, even then it's only in a pairing with Senjougahara's voice actress which is unusual since he was introduced in Nisemonogatari.

The arc is called Hitagi End, everyone was expecting a Senjougahara OP. I was pleasantly surprised that they made it a Kaiki joint as well. Kizu is Koyomi Vamp, so I'm expecting a Koyomi OP, is all. A joint with Shinobu's VA I wouldn't mind, either.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

The arc is called Hitagi End, everyone was expecting a Senjougahara OP. I was pleasantly surprised that they made it a Kaiki joint as well. Kizu is Koyomi Vamp, so I'm expecting a Koyomi OP, is all. A joint with Shinobu's VA I wouldn't mind, either.

Either way, there will be no definitive answer until the movie airs (which should be soon if the animators have had the confidence to put out trailers).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

LOL, Araragi getting stomped by Ononoki...funny.
I wonder if he developed a fetish for feet.

Plenty of amusing dialogues and word plays this episode.
I'm also glad to hear Gaens' voice again with her advice. Pacing felt slightly slow but was quite entertaining this episode. And oh I'm glad to see Shinobu again too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
An animation recycling error which is quite rare for this series: shortly after Araragi gets stepped on, notice how one of the frames showing Ononogi's back has her stocking back on when she really only puts it back on after marking Araragi a few minutes afterwards.

Viewers will find out why Shinobu doesn't burn Araragi's face in half for being stepped on, there's a good reason for this.

In case viewers are wondering why Shinobu is wandering around on her own instead of being in Araragi's shadow, this is just after the Kurayami arc so the link between the two is still severed. As such, Shinobu didn't see what happened to Hachikuji since she wasn't present (although Araragi told her what happened when he related the tale to Ougi).

The next episode should see the powered-up rainy devil take on the three of them in the park. The armour didn't show up in this episode but Araragi has to tell Shinobu about the message next week.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The next episode should see the powered-up rainy devil take on the three of them in the park.

Oh, that's the rainy devil? It looked to me like a crab arm, so I was thinking it was someone fused with the Crab God, somehow
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Oh, that's the rainy devil? It looked to me like a crab arm, so I was thinking it was someone fused with the Crab God, somehow

The next part wasn't very memorable for me from the source, but going by the conversation between Shinobu and Araragi and her repeated references to the "other" monkey plus the distinctive raincoat of the newcomer should give away its identity. What I DO remember is that the newcomer is spoiler[quite different from Kanbaru in terms of combat ability.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Something is bringing back old things. Koyomi was being affected by a snail, while Shinobu references a monkey and cat, and what we see at the end clearly has crab parts with the raincoat. So are we also going to see a snake?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Something is bringing back old things. Koyomi was being affected by a snail, while Shinobu references a monkey and cat, and what we see at the end clearly has crab parts with the raincoat. So are we also going to see a snake?

Shinobu fought her last foe with the help of a cat, not against one.

As for the question, it'll be answered next week.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Watching Araragi fight was fun especially with his swords skills.

For some reason, I find the scenes with Shinobu in it to be particular amusing mostly because of the funky beat music used. The word plays were fun to see as well. Nice to see Izuko as well.

The info dump about the samurai warrior and stuff was interesting along with her theories of Kiss-Shot. Another nice episode~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Although this episode only hinted at the true identity of the aberration Araragi and company fought this week, the answer will eventually be made clear in the coming weeks.

Anyone who got lost with the information given by Gaen this week really should re-watch Shinobu time (and to a lesser extent Mayoi Kyonshi). I liked the decision to present the story of Araragi's senior in the form of traditional Japanese paintings, nice colour palette and the scenery changed often enough to not make the whole sequence feel like a drag.

Looks like they'll need 2-3 weeks to finish this novel. If they run out of time before the quarter is out they might settle for doing web broadcasts like they did with previous seasons.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hmm, 15 years? Well the character that comes to mind is Karen, which maybe could work with how we have seen in particular she is like a warrior of "justice".

Or could it be, Ougi, who I also think is supposedly 15? With Gaen using the cover of saying she was Meme's sister does, make Ougi's claim of being his niece kind of stick out. Also along with saying that the guy became a void, something I had though represented Ougi, although that darkness was supposed to exist from before that.

If I had to make a guess of the thing they fought, it was like a collection of the apparitions pushed together. Going off the darkness thing, they said that it is supposed to erase apparitions that no longer fit their traits, could it be connected?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Hmm, 15 years? Well the character that comes to mind is Karen, which maybe could work with how we have seen in particular she is like a warrior of "justice".

Or could it be, Ougi, who I also think is supposedly 15? With Gaen using the cover of saying she was Meme's sister does, make Ougi's claim of being his niece kind of stick out. Also along with saying that the guy became a void, something I had though represented Ougi, although that darkness was supposed to exist from before that.

If I had to make a guess of the thing they fought, it was like a collection of the apparitions pushed together. Going off the darkness thing, they said that it is supposed to erase apparitions that no longer fit their traits, could it be connected?

Recheck the subtitles provided with that long piece of exposition. (Oshino) Izuko basically says the resurrection process was finally complete after 400 long years 15 years ago from the current date of the story. I've already given a hint to viewers who aren't sure to check the two previous seasons I listed in the post above yours.

Not a bad guess regarding the Frankenstein aberration, but viewers need to wait for later episodes to reveal its true identity
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Recheck the subtitles provided with that long piece of exposition. (Oshino) Izuko basically says the resurrection process was finally complete after 400 long years 15 years ago from the current date of the story. I've already given a hint to viewers who aren't sure to check the two previous seasons I listed in the post above yours.

Not a bad guess regarding the Frankenstein aberration, but viewers need to wait for later episodes to reveal its true identity

Then I am probably misunderstanding something simple or something because I could not wrap my head around it.

The first implication that they reincarnated had me thinking that it might actually be Koyomi, and would explain that the samurai did not actually steal his voice, but the 15 years thing put me off, since I think he is around 17. I mean it could be the explanation of why there have bee so many, some part of him drew the bird to become his sister, the crab to Hitagi, The vampire to the city, the cat into Tsubasa, for Mayoi to be a snail, and others. That like some kind of symbolism with harems he has collected all the oddeties, both as allies and what has been discarded has got a life of its own.

Or it could be Tsubasa which many characters comments she is one of the strangest most dangerous. Although she is also 17 and having the whole tiger thing that is counter to this. As far as I am understanding it, it might even be Suruga, I think around 16 years old and got mention for having the strength of activating the paw.

Point is that this show can be damn complicated, nothing is ever simple, most of the run is from back and forward philosophical dialogue, and sometimes I don't understand all the clues lining up before they spell it out. I could go back and watch those two arcs, but there is reasons I might not just do that.

For one, actually on my personal to do list is re-watching earlier seasons, in particular it would be starting back with the first two seasons on BD I have picked up and have not made myself sit down and do so, but it is an oddly tough thing to do that with everything else (university, keeping up with anime, games/fallout 4). Rather than just re-watching online I want to do so with on crisp BD, and make sure it matches up with what I already have. Actually I went to a convention yesterday where I am sure that season was being sold, probably should have bought it then.... Oh, apparently over here Monogatari Second Season is being sold in individual volumes (4) at $50 each, putting the entire season at $200, although right now I could buy them at an online store right now for $40.... I am just going to have to wait to hope Hanabee release a boxset of that season, that is what I did with the first two seasons. Why does buying this show have to be complicated too?!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Before complaining about the complexity of Blu-ray box sets, try to consider keeping up with the series in print form in countries which don't have specialty bookstores carrying the series. Having to wait six months to a year before getting the latest edition is in my opinion much worse than allocating spare time to finish earlier series readily available in visual media.

Something to help with the reflection over this week: Ononogi was tasked by Gaen to track and hunt down the aberration hunting Koyomi and seeking the demon-sword now kept by Shinobu. Although she agreed that her target is more or less the same thing hunting Koyomi, she expressed surprise that the creature had changed form to an armoured warrior over the space of a week.

A quick précis of the long exposition this week: 415 years prior to the events in this week's episode Kiss-shot's first disciple committed suicide under the sunlight. Unfortunately Kiss-shot's outstanding abilities as a vampire were also imparted onto the disciple and his "suicide" didn't end in permanent death. He promptly spent 400 years regenerating his physical form against his own wishes. At the end of this, he reached a threshold whereby he became more than just a loose collection of dust and microscopic particles.

Next week viewers will find out exactly what happened 15 years ago which allowed the disciple to reach his current form by the time Gaen is doing her long explanation. Anyone who wants to confirm what might have happened is free to refer to Mayoi Kyonshi for more information.

I've already mentioned earlier that the Frankenstein aberration fought by the trio this week didn't have its identity revealed. A lot of the questions posted immediately above this post will be answered by the end of this story arc so patience (or reading ahead with fan translations) is required.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6