• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
Seeing Albert get jealous over Leonhardt was funny. Like he seriously has nothing to worry about, Leonhardt is not going to be a threat to them. It was equally funny with Leonhardt finally figuring out who Sei is after trying to recruit her.

Honestly I do like Leo, kind of feels a bit bad that he only had as little as he had. Would it be right to say he is a bit of a himbo?

In other news on the production side, kind of looked like they were trying really hard with limited animation. Not like it is ruining it or anything, but it was kind of noticeable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
The tension between Hawke and Albert, with Sei in the center.

Missed one. Razz Actually, it was that one that gave me the FC vibes. Laughing

Quote:
More so when Sei gave Leonardt the thumbs up to not be so formal which, if Hawke learns about this...

Well, he was standing right there when she reiterated her permission for informal speech.

The Hawke abides. Cool

DuskyPredator wrote:
Would it be right to say he is a bit of a himbo?

I'd say he's the very definition of the word.

Quote:
In other news on the production side, kind of looked like they were trying really hard with limited animation. Not like it is ruining it or anything, but it was kind of noticeable.

I noticed that too, especially in the opening sequence, where they seemed to hold on odd images to avoid animating what was going on. You know it's bad when even I can see it!

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:44 am; edited 2 times in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
Greeeat, now I can't get Hawke-sama out of my head.

Now I know how Sei feels, uwu.
Zork

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Psst - boyfriend's name is Albert Hawke. The puppy is Leonhardt. Wink

I was kinda worried, but Albert seems to be handling his jealousy with more restraint than I was anticipating. I'm also glad to see Aira getting some field time.

And looking genuinely happy.

I really love this show, mainly because of Sei's actions and reactions (her facial expressions are great). I also love this show for the little animation touches, such as the short overhead view of Sei walking through the library, or her turning around and picking up the book she threw when realized she was talking to the king. I think a lot of other anime would probably have her just stand there.

But I sure will be glad when Sei realizes that it's not just her love for Albert but for the entire world she now lives in which triggers her conjury.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Very, very noticeable. During the establishing montage to let us know we're in a different part of the forest, I was thinking "and now a shot of a tree, good, and now a shot of the tree's bark, excellent, and now a shot of that tree's roots... aw, they did an overhead shot instead. How will we ever know how it connects to the ground?"

I like Leonhardt more than Hawke whose personality seems to have been distilled down to "I'm a Nice Guy Love Interest A and everyone knows it".

Hey, Leonhardt, here boy, here boy whistles at Aira Fetch! Talk about fulfilling needs...
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Final:

The idea of Sei and Aira in a tag team excites me. More so when Aira has basically become Sei's imouto, uwu.

Yeah, I can see the production values dipping especially during the action scenes. It feels like the show was saving up for Sei's magic scenes; I can see where the resources are going towards, it's pretty obvious. Frankly, I'm not too bothered by it.

I'm generous so I'm giving this show a 7/10. I like a feel-good show, especially one that tries to be low-key different from the rest. Despite being a shoujo (josei?) anime title where the female protagonist is surrounded by bishie archetypes, it's not overly blatant with its premise. Sei is likable (and relatable), and the guys around him are likable too.

I reckon that there will be a second season. I'm up for it.
Zork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

This episode disappointed me. It seems Sei can't cast the higher level or more potent Saintly spells unless Albert is having his shoulder munched on by a monster or him looking into Sei's eyes and smiling sweetly. I really wanted Sei to be more independent of Albert.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 am Reply with quote
I only really realised at the very end that the omnipotent magic power of the saint is specifically referring to love. So 'love' is omnipotent. And Sei seemed to be getting a good handle of that love, even if in certain high stress situations a little reminder can help.

I am not going to say that it was all perfect, there are plenty of ways I could see the show in general improving, such as leaving me waiting for the Aira stuff to kick in, and I think we can agree that there were some production hiccups. But this show was also the sort of stuff I could use more of, a strong female main character with her own interests and consideration of her agency. A lack of a need to make romance inherently dramatic, but also a bunch of guys that just got across a friendly relationship with the main lead. An aspect it could have improved on its strong female main character was perhaps adding in other professional women. It can keep a majority of hot dudes, just make the fact that she is a professional in the setting get in line with putting a few more in, or explain why it is not the case.

I did go over looking at what shows were this season, with this being one of the shows I was interested in, and I am happy that at least after the first episode that had its pacing problems I generally did not come back too disappointed. My rating is going to be Good (7/10), it was pretty high up on my list of shows I was enjoying this season, it just kind of loses points for the lacklustre production elements, and the other things that I mentioned that I think could have been improved on.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The saint is back in action. Speaking of action, the episode started with some of it, that undead dragon seemed like a pretty nasty opponent. The majority of the episode was calm and relaxing like most of the series is however. Be it receiving herbs from previous work, using those to create cosmetics or visiting a café, it feels as charming as the previous season did. Sadly, the uneven animation is also back. Some shots looked really good while others looked pretty lackluster and there was even that one scene were people were talking but they stayed on one screen for way too long.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:35 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
The saint is back in action. Speaking of action, the episode started with some of it, that undead dragon seemed like a pretty nasty opponent.

Yah, it was an unexpected and distinct tone shift, but that's why it had a little more impact IMHO.

smurky turkey wrote:
The majority of the episode was calm and relaxing like most of the series is however. Be it receiving herbs from previous work, using those to create cosmetics or visiting a café, it feels as charming as the previous season did. Sadly, the uneven animation is also back.

Fortunately, I've innocculated myself against uneven animation by watching lots of bargain basement isekai in my day. This is another of those low key pleasure shows that I like without demanding too much, and I enjoyed seeing it again.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:18 am Reply with quote
S2 1:

...if the ED there is going to be this season's OP, then I prefer the OP of the first season.

I will be honest: I want something bad to happen in this show. Something really bad. Because this is a 100% feel good show where Sei can do absolutely nothing wrong, I feel so repulsed by it (in a half-serious way).

How I wish something really bad happens just to spice things up.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:41 am Reply with quote
There you go AC x X. Hawke is having romantic angst! Yikes! I'm still shaking from that cliff hanger ending. I'm still not sure how we're going to get from where we are currently to that seasoning opening sequence with a dragon, and I'd like to see some of the other characters from last season - her bestie, the unwilling fake saint, and even prince tool if not on a regular basis. But if I want action, I'll watch Shangri-la Frontier. If I want to be unsettled, I'll watch Migi and Dali. If I want to people dealing with horrible things, I'll watch Goblin Slayer or Jujutsu Kaisen. This show is calmer and slower and I like it fine. The reverence that the MC gets is actually a problem because she's a hard working introvert who just wants to make stuff and be left alone with a small group of friends. To the point where she was actually more comfortable letting someone else be paraded around and getting the credit for being the saint the first season, and she has to disguise herself so that some other country doesn't kidnap her.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:44 am Reply with quote
The second episode was an interesting one. There was the successful trip to get some ingredients, though it came with a few complications. Then there was the dinner with Japanese dishes and basically all the characters coming for a bite. The interesting part was the heavy feeling during the dinner in that it seems like the current peace/tranquility can not last forever and things will change pretty soon. There is also that captain guy who might be a problem.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:14 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
How I wish something really bad happens just to spice things up.

Sorry, the author said in one of the afterwards to the novels that this was intended to be something to unwind to after a hard day at work. Basically a healing story. You will have to go elsewhere for your bad things.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:17 am Reply with quote
With shows like Goblin Slayer and the Kingdoms of Ruin this season I would say that there is no lack of those bad things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9