• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rent-A-Girlfriend (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
This show would rather kill grandma than allow the lead to take a step forward in his relationships.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
This show would rather kill grandma than allow the lead to take a step forward in his relationships.

You

spoiler[Don't know how right you are. Laughing ]

I get him not wanting her to die believing their lie....but lies can be much kinder than truth and I think this is one of those times. Confused
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:14 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (Episode 24, season finale)

Thank god that it is finally over. But they really did try to push the emotions in this episode, giving us Chizuru's backstory, with a dead grandpa and all for why she wants to be an actor. But at this point I was already checked out of the show, and I am actually a little annoyed that it here tried to do something that could have made a compelling character.

The truth is that I know that I did not enjoy the first season, and I think that it actually soured between the season. I think that the worst is that I kind of realised that there is this sort of gross way that it portrays its female characters like Chizuru. That is that it has to continuously remind us how beautiful they are, that random passer byes will just stare and say how beautiful they are. Which I think really comes across as insecure, and that it uses these characters like they are objects. It is like the show is acting as if they only have value rand bystanders think they are hotties, but on top of that have to pretend that it is more than that, while it really isn't that deep.

Similarly there is nothing there in some of the characters almost essentially being sex workers (without sex). I think it really is as deep as the set character idea of acting practice + money, and trying to be more outgoing. And really doing things like forcing dates.

Added on that I had absolutely no patience this season for the whole Kazuya and Ruka. If their dating, but he acts like they are not and gets shocked when she does things, and does things that are pretty much breaking her trust for what she thinks they have. That he can't just either focus on her, or really break things off, just makes me super dislike him. I have grown a lot of dislike for modern harem anime, but really how this has been done just makes me feel worse.

My rating will be Weak (3/10), I really wish I did something better with my time, and it is highly unlikely that I will be coming back for season 3.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 wasn't bad....it's just following the manga.

Season 3 will be great. Total emotional rollercoaster.

Season 4 is gonna suck big time...except for Mami's backstory.

I still read the manga weekly...and I'm always questioning "Why tf am I still reading this?"

Because just like what you've heard from everyone else, it takes a serious nosedive...I am so done with Chizuru and Kazuya.

Quote:
I kind of realised that there is this sort of gross way that it portrays its female characters like Chizuru. That is that it has to continuously remind us how beautiful they are, that random passer byes will just stare and say how beautiful they are. Which I think really comes across as insecure, and that it uses these characters like they are objects. It is like the show is acting as if they only have value rand bystanders think they are hotties, but on top of that have to pretend that it is more than that, while it really isn't that deep.

Agree, Dusk. That is by far the worst thing about it. This is why I hated reading Twilight lol
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The more I watched this show the more I started to dislike it. I don't think I'll be able to stomach another season of this crap though the completionist in me might beg to differ. While this last episode was doing a lot to build Chizuru's character, all I could think about was how lame it is that the only reason the show is doing all this emotional stuff with Chizuru is purely to make her vulnerable so that our hero can swoop in to save her and show how dependable he is. That's the kind of cynical headspace this show puts me in which shows how little faith I have in the show's writing.

I was a bit more merciful than Dusky, I rated it Not really good but I could have easily given it a lower rating on a different day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5