• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sola

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 was pretty good. I really liked the fight scene in the theatre, maybe the writers of DMC should take note on that Smile It was interesting to see how Yakas come to be ;D (if you seen it you know what I'm talking about).
It was probably one of my favorite female vs. female physical fight.

I would hate to face Aono in Rock-Paper-Scissors Anime smile + sweatdrop
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Just wow...I don't know about you guys but the scene when spoiler[matsuri was going to finish off yorito and aono, only to have the projector come on with a cloudy, bue sky behind them was just...right. It felt so right] Crying or Very sad I'm already going to rate this an excellent and well, depending on the finale who knows what I'll be inclined to rate it... Wink
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like this anime but it doesn't have that spark to make it special enough to rate it excellent or masterpiece. Well the series is only halfway through and there's still plenty of chances to change my mind but currently I see myself rating this Very Good.
Fui

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Master_M2K wrote:
Personally I like this anime but it doesn't have that spark to make it special enough to rate it excellent or masterpiece. Well the series is only halfway through and there's still plenty of chances to change my mind but currently I see myself rating this Very Good.

Sola is actually finishing next week, since it's a 13-episode (1 season) series (with supposedly 2 DVD-exclusive episodes to follow). I kind of agree with your thoughts, and although it's a fun series to watch, it doesn't have enough originality or animation quality to make it a masterpiece. I hope they pull something unconventional for the last episode, because it seems like it's going to be a cookie-cutter ending.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
SECOND TO LAST EPISODE, and my GOD what an episode! Shocked

spoiler[This is Round 2 of Matsuri vs. Aono, and it looks like they're bringing out the best of their abilities especially with Aono's insane use of her paper clones.

And to top this episode off, Matsuri has taken her sword and stabbed herself (I thought she's going to die) which pretty much made Aono into a human again. And they ended with a cliffhanger of Matsuri going in for the kill. Shocked Shocked ]

I think it safe to say that sola is seriously becoming one of my favorites!

I had a slightly different understanding of the end of the episode. spoiler[The sword needs to absob one yaka's power, which is attained by stabbing them, then it is transferred to another yaka, again via stabbing. It seemed as though Matsuri was originally going to take Aono's power and make herself human, but after seeing the sky, she changed her mind and will now give up her life to make Aono back into a human. Although that leaves me wondering what will happen to Yorito.]

Definately one of my top two favorite shows this season.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I thought Matsuri was already planning to die after her conversation with Yorito in the previous episode. I don't think she ever planned to spoiler[make herself human, I think she originally intended to kill Aono and then decided to make her human instead. In either case, it Paper Yorito is going to die, since Aono's powers will no longer be there to keep him alive.]
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
I thought Hitokirishadow hit the nail on the head with spoiler[Matsuri dying in the end,] but it seems (after this latest episode) that spoiler[Aono might just comit suicide instead of being killed by Matsuri. I was thinking...Matsuri has now stabbed herself right, so now she has drained all of her yaka powers. She is then planning on stabbing Aono turning her human by taking away her powers as well...right. So is Matsuri now human like Aono now that she has lost her yaka powers, I mean the sword seems to take away life force right. Anyways now that Aono is human Yorito will disappear, then Matsuri will probably commit suicide, and more than likely so will Aono. In a way this is a happy ending, since they will both be with Yorito in heaven]...course they may end up still fighting over Yorito...Sola 2: Heaven's love wars. Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember anything saying that spoiler[this would make Matsuri human. It just needs her (or any yaka's) blood and/or life force in order to turn another yaka back into human. She's still probably going to die though, probably right next to Yorito as the sun is rising.]
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't remember anything saying that spoiler[this would make Matsuri human. It just needs her (or any yaka's) blood and/or life force in order to turn another yaka back into human. She's still probably going to die though, probably right next to Yorito as the sun is rising.]

So that what it was, I got a bit confused by that. I though the sword needed all of her powers to turn another Yaka into a human. Embarassed I watched the episode late at night...so I was sort of dozing off by the end.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
I think there's a chance Matsuri might not spoiler[turn Aono back into a human after all. The one thing that sets "Yorito" apart from the real Yorito is his love for the sky and taking pictures of it, probably why the sky is so significant. Since it seemed like a petty unimportant thing to add for the hell of it earlier but seems to be forced upon the viewer as the main theme of the series anyway, it would make sense if Matsuri hesitates and ends up not changing anything as a result of "Yorito" and his showing her the sky/promise to take her to see it someday. Up to this point she's still thought of him as he now thinks of himself; a copy, not anyone real, a fake that shouldn't keep on living. But the sky and his love of it is what sets him apart from real Yorito and proves that he is an actual living entity who can think and feel just like anyone else. I think they didn't show us the actual stabbing of Aono (in which it would be too late) just to end up having Matsuri not carry through with it and keep everything normal (they'll probably redefine "return to normal" next episode too). All that, and I've never seen the main character himself die in this kind of series.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Final episode! Very Happy

spoiler[Matsuri was able to scratch Aono, but Aono was able to dodge off her sword attack. With it, Aono's powers were quickly being depleted so those two have to finish off the fight now. Well in the end Matsuri ended up losing her sword to Aono, and Aono was going to stab her until Yorito got in the way. This caused Yorito to disappear, and Aono broke down emotionally. Matsuri then picked up the sword and finally stabbed Aono. Aono is now a human being once again, and Matsuri smiled for the last time as the sun rises. End of first half!

Second half mostly consists of aftermath events with Takeshi and Mayuko and Mana and Koyori. Fun moments included Mana taking up photography, and Aono is wearing their school uniform.

So in short, Aono is the last one standing! Surprised]

I like this series. The very look of Matsuri is what really attracted me towards the series sola, and it was able to deliver some pretty nifty twists and turns (and some nice action scenes as well). There are some parts that could use some tinkering, but it's an overall solid series I don't mind buying the DVDs when it comes out in R1.

On another note, I heard there are 2 DVD-only episodes coming soon.
calawain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Overall I think this was a very good series. I think it had great music, excellent animation both in quality and good looking characters. The opening song and animation sequence is one of the best out of any series I have ever seen. Additionally, the story was decent (nothing revolutionary), and the characters had a lot of depth for a 13 episode series. I especially liked Mana because she was always composed and spoiler[didn't end up like most similar character types being in love with the main character.]

I also am looking forward to the DVD release so I can see the extra couple of episodes, although I wonder what can be added midway through, the story is pretty cohesive.

As for the final episode, spoiler[ it kind of ended how it had to end, there really wasn't any other way to end it appropriately. You couldn't have Matsuri or Yorito live on in the real world, it would have invalidated the meaning of the previous events. This couldn't end as a "they all live happily ever after" show or it would receive a lower rating from me personally. It was sad that those two died, but it wasn't depressing sad like the episode 11 scene with Mana and Yorito on the roof. It was more like a sadness of acceptance, and that kind of fits with the rest of the series.]
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the ending to the finale episode, it was pretty touching and funny at the same time. spoiler[Heh Koyori always getting poped in the head for calling Mana, Mana. The last shot at the end of the episode with a view on the cans was a real nice remembrence of Matsuri].

You know when the sun was rising spoiler[after Matsuri stabbed Aono and turned her human I expecting to see a Blade 2 type of ending, you know with Aono holding Matsuri as she turned to dust...I don't know that was just the first thing that poped in my head. Very Happy ]

Over all I thought it was pretty good. It's a series I wouldn't mind putting money down on. Wink
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
I guess it was a befitting ending thought I'm not happy as I would be. Seeing spoiler[paper Yorito disappears forever was quite sad. I wish they would show Matsuri in the ending but I guess showing just the 2 cans of her favorite drink was good enough.] Sigh...I wish it went on a little longer but all good things have to come to an end.
Afax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
The final episode was pretty much what I predicted but I dont mind at all. I don't think any other ending would have worked as well as this. spoiler[I have to admit I wasn't exactly rooting for Aono in these last few episodes, but seeing her happy in the end was oddly satisfying. They did a good job with her character. ]

Overall, Sola was a pretty good little show, the characters were great and I loved the overall atmosphere and sky theme of the series. Wasnt the greatest show by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a very pleasant watch from beginning to end.

I wonder what the 2 extra DVD episodes will be though. Probably side stories as I don't see how they'd have anything left for after the finale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6