• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.22 Runs on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I think they might get away with this nowadays, but I'm curious how did Toonami handle the following scenes? http://minus.com/m14rh5XL8zKaF
Did they leave Rei at the end uncensored? Or did they blur out her nipple?

they cut the beer can gag a bit. specifically, leaving out moving the top can to reveal the straw. everything else about that scene was left intact. Rei was still nude, but no visible nipples
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
i think the rei part in the last part of the movie is "fogged" out

i don't mind [as] liberally using "fogs" but as long as they feature a blu-ray commercial promoting EVA blurays by funimation Laughing

Well my only issue with that line of thinking is that a viewers not already familiar with the show won't know what they're missing. They may think the edited scenes are originally part of the show. I'm not sure how much Toonami really helps spur BD sales anyways. Seems like most if not all, are already aware of the shows and fans would buy the BD regardless of Toonami.

Quote:
japanese terrestrial TV is liberally using fogs and black-outs these days to spark interests in bluray sales.

True, although up until the mid 90's that wasn't the case. And today in some rare instances they do show it uncensored on terrestrial TV like with Sekirei and the entire broadcast of Lupin III Fujiko. However Toonami is post-midnight block on cable with young adult demographics, so I think they could get away with it if they really wanted to.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I'm not sure how much Toonami really helps spur BD sales anyways. Seems like most if not all, are already aware of the shows and fans would buy the BD regardless of Toonami.

Toonami has actually had quite an impact on home video sales. Keep in mind that while fans would buy it regardless, a large portion of Toonami's viewership is casual AS viewers who aren't necessarily "anime fans" but still stick around to watch it anyways.

Funimation has noted several jumps in sales after certain shows premiered on Toonami. Both Eva 1.11 and 2.22 shot up high on Amazons bestseller list in the week following 1.11's airing. While GXP was on, FUNi noted a boost in sales for all of their Tenchi releases. Samurai 7 and Soul Eater as well to name a few more. So even if a particular show doesn't do all that well in the ratings, lets use GXP as an example, it still brought the Tenchi franchise some much-needed attention that it hasn't had for years, which definitely had an effect on sales.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Having never seen the movie versions, I thought I'd check in on the AS telecast. After watching five minutes or more of ads, followed by about six minutes of the program followed by another ad break, I was finished.

Do people really watch such ad-heavy programming in real time these days, or are they operating on the assumption that everyone will be recording it and skipping the ads?
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I think Eva 3.33 was so radically different because...if you read the writer interviews, they actually consider Eva 2.22 to be a failure.

Their goal was to make "change"....to do what always happens in remakes or spinoffs - "make it entirely new and exciting...while still being like the original we liked in the first place!"

But Anno said he settled upon specifically Mari Makinami as THE living embodiment that would make "Change" in Rebuild of Eva.

It failed spectacularly, they couldn't reinvent the wheel. All of Mari's scenes got cut.

Originally she was going to be introduced in the second film, but mostly get introduced in the third film. But then they said hey, why not introduce her in the second film?....and after *a year and a half* of deadlocked drafts scripts, realized they simply could not make Mari an interesting and complex character on the scale of Shinji, Rei, and Asuka.

So they ultimately cut Mari's screentime back down to what the original idea was, basically teasers....but off-screen, the IDEA of Mari had already failed. She never came together as a character.

So with Mari gone, I think Anno decided he had to get out of his rut and find new ways to "change" Eva -- thus Eva 3.33.

The results were....mixed. But I hated them before I read Anno's interviews explaining the Mari problem and failure. Reconsidering it, Eva 3.33 was at least trying to change the story in ways OTHER than "Mari" -- she's barely in it, she's been functionally dropped.

So in Eva 3.33....Anno overcame his Mari addiction, or realized how futile it was, and started brainstorming again - good to see him at least TRYING to be different now.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Having never seen the movie versions, I thought I'd check in on the AS telecast. After watching five minutes or more of ads, followed by about six minutes of the program followed by another ad break, I was finished.

Do people really watch such ad-heavy programming in real time these days, or are they operating on the assumption that everyone will be recording it and skipping the ads?

I don't have a DVR, and I only watch anime on tv. I manage. I use commercials as breaks to get a drink or go to the bathroom or whatever, or even just to relax and think on what I've just seen. If I watched all my shows online or on DVD it might bug me, but I'm used to it.

Adult Swim/Toonami isn't even as bad as other networks, with only one commercial in the middle of each 30 minute block. Other networks, like SyFy, are far worse. Dear God, SyFy's anime block was horrible for that, having to cut anime down for time to fit in commercial breaks every 5 minutes, and that's with the compressed openings and closings. Adult Swim is downright generous in comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Were we watching the same program? AS has commercial breaks every quarter-hour. Not once during the movie was there only 6 minutes of programming before going to another commercial break. Like RogueJedi86 said, AS gets away with far less ad-time than the other networks, typically only having one commercial break halfway through each 30-min. episode.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Used the opportunity to have a "viewing party".

Wife made some serious hors d'oeuvres, in addition to plenty of popcorn for the films.

People who got to the party early got to watch "GunBuster", folks who came later in the evening got "Otaku No Video".

Had a blast Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Were we watching the same program?

I tuned in around 12:33 am while a commercial break was in progress that lasted until 12:38 or so. The next portion of the program began and lasted until 12:44 when another break started. I stopped watching at that point.

I actually looked at the clock on my DVR each time just out of curiosity.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember commercial breaks as frequent as that. You may've just hit bad timing and come upon a spot between two big action sequences that ran a little longer, so they fit a commercial into a quieter spot a little sooner than the typical commercial break pacing. The big action scenes weren't cut to commercial in the middle of or anything. The commercial placement is way better than SyFy ever did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I grew up in a time when the norm was eight commercial minutes per hour. Now those eight minutes come close to the duration of a single commercial break. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to the density of commercials than younger viewers.

I hardly ever watch anything on regular television besides sports and news. Commercials in sports programming tend to appear at natural breaks in the action (except for the proverbial "TV time outs"). I also rarely watch shows in real-time, preferring to use my DVR to jump through commercial breaks.

Once upon a time we were told that the arrival of "pay TV" like cable would result in a reduction in commercials because we were paying directly for the content we watch. Other than the commercial-free channels like HBO, this was one of the biggest cons ever foisted on the American public. Now with 500 channels available, audiences are so small that the only solution has been to increase advertising in television programs, even though we have already paid to watch them.

I don't recall if I ever managed to watch an entire episode of Monster on SyFy. Partly it was because of the dubbing, but mostly it was the density of the commercials. Ads are also why I hardly ever watch anime on Hulu. I'm happy to pay for a service that eliminates commercials like Crunchyroll, but Hulu Plus doesn't offer that option. I guess people like me are just so unprofitable nowadays as to not be worth the effort to reach. I'd drop my CR subscription if I was forced to watch ads after paying for the service up front.
victor viper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I grew up in a time when the norm was eight commercial minutes per hour. Now those eight minutes come close to the duration of a single commercial break. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to the density of commercials than younger viewers.

I'm with you. Slotting a 108 minute movie in a 150 minute timeslot pretty much destroys the viewing experience. I didn't watch the very end of 2.22 live when it aired; did they fast-forward through the credits as well? That's another contemporary TV practice that I dislike intensely.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
So in Eva 3.33....Anno overcame his Mari addiction, or realized how futile it was, and started brainstorming again - good to see him at least TRYING to be different now.

Different? 3.33 was just episode 24 of the TV series but padded with piano playing and brief cameos from other characters who no longer mattered.

Sure, it looked gorgeous, but storywise, what a waste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:

Slotting a 108 minute movie in a 150 minute timeslot

So, about two and a half min of show for a min of commercial.

victor viper wrote:

I didn't watch the very end of 2.22 live when it aired; did they fast-forward through the credits as well? That's another contemporary TV practice that I dislike intensely.

IIRC no.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I'm with you. Slotting a 108 minute movie in a 150 minute timeslot pretty much destroys the viewing experience. I didn't watch the very end of 2.22 live when it aired; did they fast-forward through the credits as well? That's another contemporary TV practice that I dislike intensely.

I felt like the credits of 2.22 were a little shorter. The song didn't end smoothly. But that's an exception, not the rule. 1.11 had the full ending credits, as did at least the first Bleach movie, so I'd say movies tend to run smoothly on AS/Toonami. Eva 2.22 runs a lot longer than 1.11, so time was probably a little more of an issue. It'd have been weird if it ran 7 minutes into the next slot when Toonami doesn't do a block rerun to even it out anymore. The credits were still a few minutes long though, a nice healthy dose of that lovely "Beautiful World" played.

2.22's commercials didn't feel that intrusive, as a longtime AS/Toonami viewer. Yuna jumped in at a random moment that I don't even remember in the big picture. I understand complaints of poor commercial placement though. When Avatar runs on FX, there's 2 or 3 commercial breaks that feel very poorly placed, in the middle of action scenes or background music. A few other movies I've noticed have been jarring like that on tv. That has to be a very delicate job, being the network guy who places commercials into films, finding the least jarring breaks.

I didn't know cable was supposed to mean less commercials since you pay for it, but it makes sense now that you mention it. Now I wish there were less commercials on cable, knowing the fact. I'll adjust, but that was an interesting fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7