• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura Trick (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11.

Watching this is like watching the fetus of a hentai sometimes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

They were spoiler[discovered by Mitsuki], well she seemed to spoiler[already have the inkling but when she found out in bathing and sleeping with Yuu to pick up hints, but she was still shocked]. I would say her spoiler[realising her own feelings for Haruka] was very sweetly done.

Funny with the new president being a loli who tries to look more sophisticated, I did wonder if she had actually figured things out. Yuzu being ignored, Kaede trying to watch, and the pudding craze at least partially being the spoiler[other girls matching Mitsuki's other assets].

The most daring times of kissing to date, spoiler[no surprise they were caught, but maybe wonder a how they got away with the second].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12.

Well that's a wrap. At least I'll have 20 minutes a week more to put to better purpose now.

As far as this show is concerned, they did nothing in particular wrong. Instead I would say they did everything OK, just not enough. Not sexy enough. Not funny enough. Not poignant enough. Not jealous enough. Not clever enough. Whomever did this set themselves very low limits they would not pass.

Some good artwork and girls kissing. If that is enough to make you happy then I guess Sakura Trick is a win. If not it is about as satisfying as nothing but rice cakes for dinner.
Cheerio Dragneel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
to be honest this is my first time watching a full length YURI themed anime. ummm i think the parts that is annoying for me is the romantic scene between haruka and yuu is quiet exaggerated... Very Happy demo Lol.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Great yurilicious anime. Though I feel bad for poor Mitsuki. I hope Rina keeps Mitsuki happy in their college life. This anime deserves a second season. In the meantime, I am looking forward to see which next season's shows are yuri bait.]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
It was refreshing to see anime characters that aren't too embarassed to do anything besides staring at each other. We got many kisses, that's for sure. The ending was done quite well too.

But... if you want to make an anime romance / slice of life, the other parts have to be good too to make up for the lack of story.
Humor: ineffective, I probably faintly smiled a few times, but that's it.
Drama: also ineffective. They only briefly mentioned the problems Kotone and Shizuku faced during the beach episode, but they didn't get much time to shine. The final episode didn't do anything for them. Mitsuki not recognizing her feelings of love and being the third wheel have been done a zillion times, but at least those plotlines got some closure.
Characters: Yuu progressed in the sense of being more forward about her feelings, but she had an increasingly annoying streak to her. Like in the final episode, where she didn't want to fetch a spoon herself. How is that cute?
The big sister got some development at the very end, but before that she was an annoying cliche character, if you ask me.
Yuri/shoujo romance: This is probably why I actually continued watching this, as a guilty pleasure. I guess you can't really call this yuri though, since it was pretty tame apart from some suggestive poses and french kissing. In the middle episode there were barely any truly romantic and physical scenes. Nothing else really entertained me, so I was really bored.

The story about the school closing wasn't very effective either. It's meant to be a setup for melancholy feelings, I'm sure, but most of the characters don't graduate yet (and don't leave the school) and the only one we're supposed to really like is the school president. Why did they even put that in in the first place??

I hesitated whether to give this one a Decent or So-So. If you look at what the shoujo-ai/yuri genre has to offer, it is one of the better titles. If you don't take that thought into account though, it's not really that special. I do hope that there will be more titles like this that don't shy away from showing characters romantically interacting with each other instead of being too embarassed to do anything.

Rating: So-So
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

I felt a bit down as I was waiting for the preview, which did not show up. A nice ending and all, nothing really huge, except them spoiler[fighting over Haruka] was good, and the tennis court seen too. Also thought there was a rare look at Kaede's cute side as she was apparently spoiler[overcome with tears and had to hide because of it], helped her pairing too.

So what is Sakura Trick? In a few ways Sakura Trick really is not a strong romantic comedy, as the is actually rather low, and the romance rarely used any drama that effectively to make poignant romance scenes. What I do think it had going is that is one of the most blazingly yuri anime out there, so much so that I got the feeling that it might be more of a trendsetter in theme alone for what might come. Simply have a romance where characters are not afraid to show their affection, and having an actual lesbian couple as the leads.

The only real full yuri anime I can think that I watched before now was Sasameki Koto, which did utilise better comedy and drama for the romance. But I really have not seen much movement since then, and I think that trick was a bit braver, if only I could see more open couple moments.

I rate it Good, it was definitely worth seeing for me, and I hope that we get some more actual yuri out. I know a number of us have them as guilty pleasures, and something that is not full on and somewhat sweet does grab attention.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
simple show that accomplished what it set out to do, and I'm satisfied with how it all played out. It was entertaining, and I'd watch more
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7