• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just finished Ergo Proxy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Curtis W. wrote:
This is coming out here in the states soon, is it not. I really want to see it now, Sounds kinda like bebop in a way.

November 21st is the street date for volume 1. It comes in special Edition as well with an artbox, which is what I have pre-ordered. I let you all know my thoughts on the series in about an hour when I finish it, but so far I really like it.

EDIT: And that verdict is Ergo Proxy is definitely masterpiece material. The ending was very satisfying for me, and all said and done I remain highly impressed with all aspects of the series. I loved the characters, the story was unpredictable and well told, the animation is great, the atnosphere of the series cool and unique, and the soundtrack is nice to listen to as well.
free2slap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:

Certain things in the ending confused me, but looking back at information given out in earlier episodes, I'd say that spoiler[the "creator" was actually former humanity itself. Humanity had been waiting in outer space for the artificial human societies created by the Proxies to terraform the earth, so that when they returned life on earth would be suitable to their tastes. Once they returned, the Proxies and their domed societies would no longer be needed, and therefore destroyed. Hence why Vincent chose to rebel against the "Creator" in the end to protect the humanity he had created and come to love]. Of course, this is only what I gathered after reading countless internet blogs on the subject... I'm terrible at developing my own interpretations without at least hearing about those of others. Anime smile + sweatdrop

After re-watching the last episode for the second time, i believe what you state here is pretty much what concludes this anime. For a moment though, i almost regarded because of the whole death and rebirth approach that the ending would have conceived something like NGE and i believe i was expecting something close to it.

The ending as much as it looks open for a sequel, i wouldn't hope for it since the whole concept about this anime is about a creation of a world and to continue for a next chapter would eject the actual meaning of the plot.

Is it me or does Vincent look like an afterimage of Satan. Either way i do think the idea comes a little close from it. Vincent who was created by God decided in the end, that he would rebel against his creator, hence to pursue his own belief. Another similarity, Satan/vincent is regarded both as they will bring the end of the world and vincent stated in the end that he was the emissary of death like Satan i would assume. However the thing that brought them closer in common, it was the "Death and Rebirth" formality. Which If we go back to what the Bible says, the whole concept about the apocalypse is something close to the whole of Death and rebirth. Satan will bring death or at the same time a construction of this world and that world will generate to paradise just like the Bible says.

The only thing that Vincent differs from being exactly Satan is that he trully cares about people and we all know that satan doesn't care about nobody Laughing and yea..other little details too show them differently but like i said the whole idea does come a little in similarity. I think the creator of this anime was actually trying to redefine a new significant meaning to the existence of god and satan through his own imagination and i believe this was the whole idea of this plot.

I really recommend this anime and it is the best that has come out this year. It does seem confusing but if you pay more attention to it then you'll understand how great the plot really is. Ergo proxy definitely is a Masterpiece
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for all the feedback on the ending. I was way off, but it makes perfect sense now. I will give it a Masterpiece rating after all. I didn't even think to make reference to End of Eva (having only seen it once around 6 years ago and being too distracted by the dub to really pay attention).

But yes, now that you bring up the whole death/rebirth concept, I agree completely. Uh.. there was something else I wanted to mention, but I've been studying for an Abnormal Psych. exam and can't remember right now Anime smallmouth. Just wanted to say thanks for the explanation, though.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Actually, while watching the ending I definetly got End of Eva vibes: not because it was anything like EoE, but just the impact EoE left on me was similar to that of Ergo Proxy's ending. I also see some similar themes in both endings: spoiler[how Vincent had to choose between a perfect world and a flawed human one, and ultimately chose the flawed human world was similar to Shinji's decision in EoE]. But other than that, I don't think Ergo Proxy and Evangelion have alot of common ground.
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Well I was told by a few people that this show was really good and how it's a must watch but I'd have to admit it really left me confused. It wasn't really just the plot about spoiler[ how to take revenge on one's own creation after realizing how that Creator itself had it's own desparing fate of death.] but it was more on the level of how Ergo Proxy would have done better with the pacing and the overall characters.

While I really liked the idea and how it was similar to a bunch of things including books like "Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheeps" or movies/series like "Ghost in the Shell", the way it was carried out wasn't as well executed as it could have been. In some episodes you had nothing but.. well.. nothing and the viewer is just there wondering "why am I wasting 23 minutes of my time". For example, the episode where spoiler[ Vincent, Pino, and Real were all stranded because the wind couldn't carry their ship so it was basically an episode of observation based on Real's point of view.] Then we move into episodes where spoiler[ crap is just thrown at you from all sides noteably the episode where Vincent had his conflict with his other self and where everything in that episiode revolved around the "id, ego, and super-ego" type of structure.] Mentioning this, I think the most disagreeble fact for me was that Ergo proxy went from being an overall well balanced plot with mystery, conspiracy, murder, and psychological conflictions to an almost episodic Kino's Journey type of thing where what you watch the episode after the previous has really nothing to do with the overall plot. Sure, you get really creative episodes like spoiler[ the "Happy Land" episode with Pino and the episode where Vincent was "living" in a fabricated reality created by the jealously of another Proxy.] But when it comes down to it, those minor events that were spent using an EPISODE really takes away from this elaborate plot that is developing in the previous half of the series. The fact that we find out spoiler[ Vincent was a Proxy at around episode 10] really made it feel anti-climatic. I think the efforts of trying to create a "mind ******" really took away from what people can get out of this. I mean, really. The plot isn't hard to understand to begin with. Yeah sure, we hear it all the time over and over: " I think therefore I am". Good for you. No need to get into a bunch of mumbo-jumbo on the purpose of existance by making it more complex to understand. That also took away from the characters.

The characters didn't fair too well with this Anime and it's sad to say because they all started off really well. We get into this nonsensical crap and go into philosophy trying to cover certain areas such as to understand the purpose of existance, how to determine your existance, id vs ego vs super ego.. etc etc. It's fine and all, but when you spend so much time getting the viewer engulfed with this "idea" that is made more complex than it needs to be, it really takes away the value of the characters. In the end, I really didn't give a damn for any of them (minus Pino). spoiler[ Vincent was probably the only person who had any (if any) character development. Daedulas went a-wall and died a stupid death. Real seems to just be there in the end, serving no other purpose than for Ergo Proxy to meet up with this "other self" in their eternal psycological struggle to find meaning in existance even if there wasn't one other than the one given to begin with.]

All in all, I guess I would have liked it better if some of the less necessary episodes ( like the spoiler[ Wal-Mart episode, the getting-stuck-without-windcurrent-so-we-will-spend-24-minutes-doing-nothing episode, the "dream within a dream" episode... etc etc]) were used to develop the characters and maybe even the plot better. But I would say spoiler[ revealing Vincent as the Proxy so early] might as kind of left the creator saying " oh ****, now that people know spoiler[ Vincent is the proxy and we are not even half way done with the series,] what do we do now?" type of thing. but to be honest, I really did still like this series.

[EDIT: Merged your thread with this one and added some spoiler tags. -TK]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Kefka, you do have a point from the perspective of how EP strays off from the story at hand through the latter episodes. But I, for one, am happy with the direction the series took after episode 10. The boat episode in particular does a great job not really "developing" character, but just exposing a side of them that we hadn't seen prior too.

spoiler[ It's all very subtle, but to me it was a way to see the softer side of the series. How they interact with one another, how they overcome the adversity of being stranded, and how they ultimately keep their composure revealed things to me that I didn't know about. Sort of like implying that those behavioral characteristics were already there, but we never got to see it because of how the rest of the series was going. It was a nice "calming" episode that provided a sense of realism (no pun intended) and kind of grounded the series back to earth a little more.]

Also, getting to the overall nature of the series itself, I recommend you watch the interview with Jonathan Klein and Taliesin Jaffe on the Special Edition extras DVD. From their own perspectives, EP to them was more a combination of discovery and thought within our own minds, only using the anime as medium. Not to say the people at Manglobe only intended this to be all eye candy and entertainment, but I can empathize for their (Klein and Jaffe's) opinions as well. Just the fact they interpreted that much in itself proves there's more to EP than just a really cool story.

Then again, everyone is different and can portray anything and everything the way they see fit, so you're entitled to say the show started sucking after a certain point as well. It's just that I, personally, felt the presentation and execution of the series was very enjoyable. Maybe not as "profound" as some like to exalt upon some of the particular themes and episodes (concerning the psycho babble stuff, though I did like them a lot anyway), but it's so much better than a lot of the mediocre or bad stuff I'd seen prior to it.
Ubapoopietot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This is actually one of the series I plan on collecting for a while. I bought the first volume on a wim(i'm in the states) and sat down to watch it with some friends for something to do. At the end of the fourth episode we all looked at each other and were like "Wow. That was surprisingly good!"

I like it because they keep the lazy animation to a minimum (except the mall scene where everyone is just standing around as a man fires a gun.... come on people would be freaking out!) not to mention the use of some great visual effects. Most notably the foreshortened out of focus shotgun scene. I love it when a title pays attention to realistic camera effects. It just makes the animation pop that much more and Ergo Proxy definitely has that. The integration of the CG was good as well.

The icing on the cake though is having Radiohead as an end theme. Paranoid Android! Get it? Very Happy

I haven't read into the series that much but at a first glance the story seems deep and the art is great! A must see in my opinion.
WesW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
I think those of you trying to compare this show to other anime are off base. This series is highly derivative, but it's ripping off old sci-fi movies. About half the basic plot from the first half of the series is like watching an animated version of Blade Runner, with Real in the Harrison Ford role. There are other old movies referenced as well, such as Damnation Alley and Buck Rogers. I'm sure there are elements of other films that I can't recall at the moment.
If a sci-fi afficionato (sp?) were to see this series, I'm sure he could pick it apart piece by piece. I'm not saying it's not a good show, though. I like it quite a lot, and would recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi.
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
I think those of you trying to compare this show to other anime are off base. This series is highly derivative, but it's ripping off old sci-fi movies. About half the basic plot from the first half of the series is like watching an animated version of Blade Runner, with Real in the Harrison Ford role. There are other old movies referenced as well, such as Damnation Alley and Buck Rogers. I'm sure there are elements of other films that I can't recall at the moment.
If a sci-fi afficionato (sp?) were to see this series, I'm sure he could pick it apart piece by piece. I'm not saying it's not a good show, though. I like it quite a lot, and would recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi.

What makes Ergo Proxy so awesome of a show is that you can pick out almost all the sci-fi and film noir style derivations, and that EP really did those derivations great justice in the presentation and stuff. They aren't just cheap homages, too.
CGord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching this series last weekend, & fell in love with it. Bought vol. 1, & vol 2 is in the mail. Can't really give a thoughtful critique, because now I'm a slobbering EP fanboy. :p

spoiler[One point I found interesting was Proxy One's refusal to accept his fate; humanity returning to a functional Earth meant the end of Proxies, & he was trying to stave that off for as long as possible. I never really understood the relationship between Proxy One & Ergo Proxy, though; were they originally one? Were they always two individuals, or was Ergo Proxy created as a sort of alternate personality of Proxy One? I also found Vincent/EP's duality interesting; on one hand, he's Vincent, & he has two companions that care for him & travel with him, & on the other hand, he's Ergo Proxy, the emissary of death. He's no "Champion of Justice"; he brings death & destruction. Yet Pino loves him, & Re-l's fast smile on hearing he survived @ the end shows she's got feelings for him as well.

I didn't understand the game show ep initially, but as the series progressed, the game show appeared to lay out a lot of info. I loved the shopping ep, & especially the no-wind ep; that one in particular really showed you the personality differences between Re-l (Lil! rrggh) & Vincent & Pino. A good presentation of cabin fever.]

This is one of the best shows I've seen in awhile; I found every aspect of it to be of exceptional quality.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Lord Kefka wrote:
In some episodes you had nothing but.. well.. nothing and the viewer is just there wondering "why am I wasting 23 minutes of my time". For example, the episode where spoiler[ Vincent, Pino, and Real were all stranded because the wind couldn't carry their ship so it was basically an episode of observation based on Real's point of view.]

Actually, after looking back more on the series and watching the two DVDs Geneon has put out, I found that episode to be my favorite one in the entire series. "Nothing occurred, but a helluva lot happened." I think in terms of standalone episodes (allusion to the Ghost in the Shell series is unintentional as I go over this post) it was the strongest of them all. spoiler[We get to see a lot of subtle mannerisms in all three of the characters, particularly Re-l. The tiring atmosphere that was in the ship as they were just sitting there waiting for days on end really was conveyed perfectly, in my view, upon the viewer. Add to it some of the best comical moments in the story involving Pino's indirect torment of Vincent, one of my favorite lines in any anime when Re-l goes to use the toilet, and a change in her behavior by the end of the episode that stayed consistant to the end of the story, showing some real character development, it would the most enjoyable portions for me.]

Quote:
The fact that we find out spoiler[ Vincent was a Proxy at around episode 10] really made it feel anti-climatic.

Ergo Proxy was never about spoiler[who the hell is that Proxy we see popping up here and there?] Hell, it was made obvious in episodes two and three that spoiler[Vincent was Ergo Proxy,] yet it amazes me that people were still having doubts about that for so many episodes after those.

Quote:
I think the efforts of trying to create a "mind ******" really took away from what people can get out of this. I mean, really. The plot isn't hard to understand to begin with. Yeah sure, we hear it all the time over and over: " I think therefore I am". Good for you. No need to get into a bunch of mumbo-jumbo on the purpose of existance by making it more complex to understand. That also took away from the characters.

Pretentiousness is common in "smart" anime. The pseudo-intellect is just popular to use, for whatever reason. Ergo Proxy has it. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (and even the origianal Ghost in the Shell to some extent) has it. Neon Genesis Evangelion and Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion have it. Noein has it here and there. RahXephon has it. Gasaraki even has it in some of the scenes in its final episode.

Really, the only "smart" anime that comes to mind that don't go endlessly on and on about their points are works by Satokshi Kon (Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent fame) and collaborations between Yasuyuki Ueda and Yoshitoshi ABe that also involve Chiaki Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze). They are challenging but never overbearing, requiring the viewer to have some form of intelligence yet never losing themselves in unneeded psycho-babble. (I would include Mushishi, Kino's Journey, The Big O, and Paprika, but I don't for the first two because they're more fantastical than aimed towards the "thinker" crowd, and I haven't seen at all/enough of Paprika and The Big O to make a firm judgment.)

Still, even with all of the psycho-babble to alienate many viewers and to make an anime seem more deep than it is, I don't really have a problem with it as long as it does indeed relate to the themes of the anime, and for the most part of the pretentious anime listed above do generally stay true to that aspect.

Quote:
In the end, I really didn't give a damn for any of them (minus Pino). spoiler[ Vincent was probably the only person who had any (if any) character development. Daedulas went a-wall and died a stupid death. Real seems to just be there in the end, serving no other purpose than for Ergo Proxy to meet up with this "other self" in their eternal psycological struggle to find meaning in existance even if there wasn't one other than the one given to begin with.]

I can see where you're coming from, but I took it as a different aspect. Save for Daedulas, I came to care for the characters in some fashion. spoiler[Vincent for his pitiful start and gradual growth to discover himself, Re-l's growth to also understand herself and become a more accepting person altogether, Pino coming to terms with aspects of herself.] Even Raul, for that matter, came to earn my sympathy spoiler[with his death and the discovery of Pino's drawing that revealed her fondness for him as a father. I also noticed when rewatching the series on the first DVD that Raul did react to his wife's death if only briefly, yet still continued on in an apathetic way.] That revealed a lot of how the psychological development of the citizens of Romdo were handled, if they spoiler[themselves had become so desnsitized to such emotions, and ironically it was the AutoReivs who in turned displayed more emotional maturity than them, Pino most notably.]

Tony K. wrote:
Also, getting to the overall nature of the series itself, I recommend you watch the interview with Jonathan Klein and Taliesin Jaffe on the Special Edition extras DVD. From their own perspectives, EP to them was more a combination of discovery and thought within our own minds, only using the anime as medium.

I think that's praticularly important to note. The transition from being a spoiler[bleak, sci-fi story in a dystopian world to an episodic, philosophical work] would throw many people off. Gradually, though, I came to accept this, and even though the themes by and large have been played out numerous times in other works of fiction, it still didn't keep it from being uninteresting to me. spoiler[The concept of self-discovery, to find your own identity and come to terms with it, to be able to accept the world you live, the people around you, and continue to strive for a better life for yourself and those you care for was, while not profound, effective in how a lot of it was portrayed in the series.]
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
I just finished the last episode today so I can finally get involved in this thread.

Overall, I don't think Ergo Proxy was as meaningful as some people say it is here. I don't buy the whole self-discovery/choice of reality/lessons about life themes because I really didn't interpret the anime, especially the last episode, in that way.

Before I get to the last episode where most of the explanation is, a quick note about the other episodes.

spoiler[I think the usage of the Smiley Land or the Quiz from Hell episodes were a great way to present comedy into a deeply psychological anime such as this. I particularly enjoyed the Quiz from Hell episode as it provided a lot of insight to the identity of the Proxies and even some hints of what were to come in later episodes. I saw it as a kind of information-episode given in a comical way in order to avoid a 20 minute episode monologue (cough Evangelion cough) of information in the most dull manner possible. I loved the character of Pino, something that makes Ergo Proxy so much more unique and enjoyable compared to a similar "dark-type" anime such as Texhnolyze. As for the other "miscellaneous" episodes, I agree with Tony K. that they were "calming" episodes that Evangelion has failed to provide me with, consequently boring me to death and never having me finish the series. However, I have not thought that those episodes were unnecessary in relation to plot progression or character development; I think they served multiple purposes very effectively.]

Now, for the ending...

spoiler[I kept getting confused reading "Real" and "real Real" in other people's posts so I will use the convention of using "Lil" for the black haired girl and "Real" for the white haired girl.

To start with, my interpretation was similar to that of Dranxis'. The "Creator" that the model citizens talked about were Proxies. In turn, the "Creator" that Proxy One talked about was mankind - the true human beings. The last episode showed ships flying in the sky - they are ships of mankind who fled to space to wait for the earth to replenish itself and restore suitable living conditions. However, for reasons unknown, mankind created 300 Proxies to create model citizens. The role of Proxies was to create a dome, contain model citizens within it while the earth replenished itself, then destroy the domes and die. Apparently they were supposed to be unemotional beings, but Proxy One and Ergo Proxy talk about having understood or learned to think differently from the way they were supposed to (I didn't get a clear idea of that). Following the role of Proxies, it's natural that we see the rule "when two Proxies see each other, they must fight". There's really no reason two Proxies should meet under one dome.

Moving on, the individual case that we see is Ergo Proxy, who flees from his role as a Creator (of the model citizens) by forgetting his memories and creating another personality within himself - Vincent Law. There are a lot of branches from this fact that I could go into, such as the fact that Romdeau was abandoned and how the model citizens reacted to it or how Vincent Law acquired personality as a model citizen that influenced the consciousness of Ergo Proxy as a Proxy. But following the last episode, we see that Ergo Proxy regains his memories, returns to Romdeau to actually finish his role as a Proxy, and unlike the other proxies, he is given the "choice" by Monad to follow mankind (that is, to perish) or to stay within the reality of the model citizens. ]

spoiler[
Now, I read some of the other posts that interpreted this as Vincent Law's choice to stay and rebel against his Creators, instead of running away, but I think that is only partially correct. To mankind, a Proxy's raison d'etre is gone when the domes are destroyed. The Proxies should have no reason to live, which is why they all die (assuming that they all "die" when Proxy One says that he wants "at least Ergo Proxy to live" as "a punishment for the Creators". Not to mention that Monad dies in the end too. AND the fact that any Proxy will die under direct sunlight). Therefore, the only choice that Ergo Proxy really had was to rebel against the Creators, and statements like "I have people waiting for me in that reality" seem kind of moot to me. Was it really a choice?

Another interesting line I liked was "I think, therefore you are". It works with the whole idea of mankind to Proxy, Proxy to model citizens, and model citizens to autoreivs. It's a ladder that is described by the statement, as the lower is completely under control of the upper. A kind of absolute relationship where fate is definite. It questions the whole idea of God, or any absolute power, and whether or not if the "lower" is truly free from the "upper".]

The time kind of got late and I'm too tired to go on. One last thing I wanted to mention is that unlike other psychological anime, Ergo Proxy was easy to follow and not that difficult to understand. It wasn't as complex like Ghost in the Shell that I needed to watch the series again to understand the complex plot. It was a great anime that I haven't seen in a while since I moved on to J-drama.
Wandering Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
I found a latent message in this anime presented as the conflict between rationalism and human feelings (most likely, Freud's psychoanalism, though I've yet to see the ties of this series with it, asides from the Lacan statue).

spoiler[The thing with the Descartes' cogito, ergo sum is that describes the human being as a purely logical-guided individual. Every act a human being takes can be explained and justified by logic, by a rational chaning of causes and effects. The Proxys are the representation of this purely logical beings, being themselves messengers of God, while in the series, humans are being as being below this form of logic, being still blinded and fooled by their senses.

Rationalism goes along with the thought that there is a single reality. While our perceptions, our senses, might fool us into thinking otherwise, the reality behind what we see is only one. However, Vincent rebelled against this. And what made him rebel were human feelings--love. And that's why there appears a new subjective reality (focused on the subject constructing it), which is Vincent's reality, that is, Real. That's what makes him choose the path of the humans, instead of staying as a purely logical Proxy.]

I really don't think a sequel would do any good for the series. I think it closed perfectly and everything rounded up effectively, so they shouldn't ruin it by making a sequel that might turn out pretty badly (you know how sequels are....).
Chamrin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quote
I think Ergo Proxy was one of the best shows I've seen. It was a bit complex, but as Azathrael said, not too complex. He also cleared up a lot of the things I was going to post and try to clear up for people, which will make my post shorter. Smile

This discussion could also do with more comparisons of works outside the anime universe. Blade runner was mentioned, and I think new Battlestar Galactica would also be something good to compare it with.

I'll try to summarize things so they make more sense, as far as I understand them.

spoiler[The surface of the earth was destroyed, some escaped, the rest who were left behind either perished, or mutated. Or perhaps some met up with the proxies and participated in the dome societies.

The proxies were created and left behind by mankind to re-terraform earth. Why they all created domes to do this I'm not really sure. However I think they were essentially programmed to do this, and programmed to destroy their domes and everything in them when humanity returned. The proxies are then destroyed simply by exposure to sunlight. Thus providing a clean start for humanity.

Whether or not the proxies were meant to be sentient is something I am unsure of, but I think the fight vincent has with his other self, could in a way be interpreted as a fight against his very programming, against his instincts, a fight which he finally wins at the end.

Most of the humans in Romdeau are simply artificial humans, without a soul, as mentioned in one of the earlier episodes. If I remember correctly, the artificial birthing machines are able to create exact replicas of humans, but are not able to give them a soul. However Lil Mayer seems to have a soul at the beginning, as do the proxies. Also many autoreivs develop sentience as well. In the ending episodes you see some of the artificial humans who can't really cope. Daedalus being one of them. You also see how Pino has grown to a level of having desires, and she's able to express them with crayons on paper.

On the Amita cells. I think they contain some sort of memory/instincts programmed into them. Which is why when Daedelus re-creates Lil with the Monad's Amita cells, Monad emerges.]

I really liked the ending. I'm not sure how to say this, but it wasn't like evangelion, which I didn't like, but it was realistic, and could plausibly happen within the rules of this universe. spoiler[Mankind returns, and the age of terraforming comes to the end, and the third age of man begins.]

I have some questions too, some probably can't be answered unless there is a sequel, which I hope there is. There is always a fear that sequels will ruin a preceeding work, but I think it's worth the risk in this case. It would have to be quite a different show than the first season was, as too much has changed, but I think they could pull it off, especially since they have the skills to create Ergo Proxy in the first place.

spoiler[How is Daedulas able to put sunlight into bullets? A silly question I guess.

Where did humanity go for several thousand years? Had they already colonized other worlds? Or did they simply hop in a space ship and travel far away and return. Or were they simply in orbit watching the whole time? If they did travel far away, did special relativity come into affect for them? Are the people who are returning the same ones who left in the first place, or are they several (hundred?) generations old?]

It's late, I'll try to revise this (if it needs it) tomorrow.

Cham
weils

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
I just went through a marathon of Ergo Proxy (eps 13-23), and I have to say that the show's very good. There were plenty of creative episodes (ep 15's Quiz Show from Hell, ep 19's Eternal Smile, ep 20's Goodbye Vincent), some thought-provoking (Ep 12's Anamnesis).

Ep 15's storyline was great as the writers started off and ended the episode as a live telecast of a "Who Wants to be A Millionaire" type game show. It gave out plenty of information to the viewers on the history of the Earth, plus things to come in later episodes: spoiler[ hinting the appearance of Proxy One. Was all the 12 clues really lead to his character? The game show also showed the Boomerang Star, the interstellar migration ship for the true human beings to flee the devastation of Earth. All the questions in the last section of the game also hinted at the last few episodes.] My question is: Who are the TV crew and host, MCQ? Are they people from Romdeau? Or are they spoiler[ the true human beings] trying to wake up the people of Romdeau and the main characters of their existence? Or are they simply just characters to move the storyline ahead? Whoever they are, the main characters and others fail to get the hints and point of the episode. -_-"

Ep 12's Anamnesis featured the first appearance of spoiler[ Proxy One.] The episode also went on about Vincent's true personality and how he is lost psychologically when he gave away his memories. Who was the shopkeeper of the City Lights bookstore? Is he a Proxy too?

I don't agree that ep 16's storyline was boring. It showed how the main characters interact with each other when the Centzon got stranded. Some scenes in the episode were hilarious, like how Lil perceived Vincent as he is a man, and what Pino as an infected autoreiv does everyday. Some people said the episode did nothing to further the storyline, but I disagree. Even the writers knew what they were creating when the named the episode title "Busy Doing Nothing".

I feel that Iggy is pitiful in the sense that he is torn apart by duty to keep Lil safe and Lil not needing his help. Therefore when he got infected by cogito, he developed a split personality: one is obsessive and wants to keep Lil by his side forever, the other to only look after Lil's well-being. In the end Iggy's kinder side emerged and saved Lil from the forest Proxy's autoreiv when it intended to self-destruct.

spoiler[ Was Proxy One's and Ergo Proxy's one and the same? Proxy One was rambling on Vincent/Ergo Proxy was his shadow. Did Proxy One created Ergo so as to take revenge on the Creators?]

How many Proxys appeared besides Ergo Proxy during the series?
spoiler[Ep 1's Monad Proxy, ep 8's Senekisu Proxy, ep 9's Kazukisu Proxy, ep 12's Proxy One, ep 14's Unnamed dome's Proxy (unseen), ep 19's Will B.Good Proxy, ep 20's Swan Proxy.] Tell me if I left any out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3