• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shadow star Narutaru

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honeyrider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
ah...I admit that I was quite curious about how 'disturbing' this was that I wanted to get a peak at a clip from episode 12.

Can't watch this. spoiler[Those bulling girls were just too cruel. But wht really got me was the leader girls death. Honestly, I think rapist deserve thier just deserts but it was still pretty damn disturbing.] And the fact I vomit on cue at the sight of worms.....hate worms. Half the reason I was so bothered was because of the worms , really :D;;;;
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
The bullying in Narutaru was so intense and cruel it makes me wonder if kids can do that. I mean I was brutally bullyed in school close to the extent of spoiler[Hiroko but I was never raped with a test tube!]

Oh, sure, when people (kids included) don't see or expect their actions will be penalized they can do everything you can imagine and beyond. Ever read/watched Lord of the Flies?

"Just why and how those who bully don't expect penalties?" is the question you may ask. In Japan, every faculty and staff will be marked in their career records if a bullying or similar incident happens in the campus they serve, effectively eliminating their way to "climb the ladder." Thus, from principals to janitors are likely to turn blind as long as there's no casualty i.e. deaths or serious AND VISIBLE injuries. It is also quite common that those who bully have rich and/or gangster families, making school authorities afraid to deal with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vylo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
Bah that's pansy teaching. My math teacher from middle school knocked out 3 students who were causing trouble at a football game. He didn't get in trouble, in fact the parents applauded him.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
The bullying in Narutaru was so intense and cruel it makes me wonder if kids can do that. I mean I was brutally bullyed in school close to the extent of spoiler[Hiroko but I was never raped with a test tube!]

Oh, sure, when people (kids included) don't see or expect their actions will be penalized they can do everything you can imagine and beyond. Ever read/watched Lord of the Flies?

"Just why and how those who bully don't expect penalties?" is the question you may ask. In Japan, every faculty and staff will be marked in their career records if a bullying or similar incident happens in the campus they serve, effectively eliminating their way to "climb the ladder." Thus, from principals to janitors are likely to turn blind as long as there's no casualty i.e. deaths or serious AND VISIBLE injuries. It is also quite common that those who bully have rich and/or gangster families, making school authorities afraid to deal with them.

The blind eye thing is here in america as well. Before columbine causing a zero tolerance on bullying teachers always turned a blind eye to me. No one ever reached out to help so I had to fend for myself at a young age.

Heres a story a co worker told me about her teacher relative. These kid were jumping (beating up) another kid and bang his head on the concrete till he bleed. The teacher came out and saw another teacher and yelled. "Why aren't you stopping them!" the other teacher replied "Because if I do use force to stop them I could get in trouble." the teacher ran to the aid of the kid who could've of died. Thats an example of a real teacher.

Plus you didn't need to jump on me so harsh dormcat. I know it exist but I never seen a kid in real life
spoiler[get raped by a test tube] I seen everything else but not spoiler[A [expletive] TEST TUBE!] Oh my god that so extreme. Im just so OMG about spoiler[the test tube!] ewww no.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
I don't think dormcat was jumping on you or anything, so he wasn't being "harsh" with you. He was pointing out that kids are like that when they don't fear repercussions for their actions.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
okay. No prob. My bads.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Plus you didn't need to jump on me so harsh dormcat.

Huh?! Shocked

Well, just like HitokiriShadow said, my "oh, sure" was a reply to your "if kids can do that." Not towards you personality or anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Plus you didn't need to jump on me so harsh dormcat.

Huh?! Shocked

Well, just like HitokiriShadow said, my "oh, sure" was a reply to your "if kids can do that." Not towards you personality or anything else.

I said my bads. In other words sorries. Cool We're cash dorm.
SpeedySwaf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
Actually, as I understand it the spoiler[test tube] thing wasn't the worst part, but rather that the leader was planning to stomp down on it while it was inside.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
vylo wrote:

One thing I'm trying to figure out is spoiler[ why Akira stabs her father. There are some things hinted at in their sparse interaction, but maybe I'm reading too much into it. ]

Earlier on in the show, spoiler[ Akira's mom comments that he spoils his daughter too much. I think the stabbing had to with the spoiling coming to a sudden halt... for example, when Akira brings Shina over instead of helping out her parents in the restaurant, dad just brushes it off. later on, Akira comes home late, and he grabs her and says "I don't need a daughter who can't help out", or something like that.

If you give a kid as many lollipops as they want everyday for year, then suddenly take them away saying "spoiled brats don't need candy"... well, they're not going to be happy. Throw in the weird interactions with her classmates ("Why does she even come to school?") and you have a girl about to break.

Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if there is abuse involved but the anime never got that far... ]
but that's my take on it.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
SpeedySwaf wrote:
Actually, as I understand it the spoiler[test tube] thing wasn't the worst part, but rather that the leader was planning to stomp down on it while it was inside.

Well she said in the dub spoiler[kick her in the stomach] When I think of stomping with it in....the glass.....eww.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
SpeedySwaf wrote:

Well she said in the dub spoiler[kick her in the stomach] When I think of stomping with it in....the glass.....eww.

Truly horrible, isn't it? spoiler[The scene is seen from afar, we don't actually get to see what is going on but just thinking about it gives one the chills. Were the test tube to actually break...good grief, just thinking about it makes me cringe.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2