• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romeo x Juliet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I don't think so; the role of Paris has been given to Hermione. If I had to guess, this new character might be Tybalt as that is the only major character that has been left out so far; but if it is Tybalt, he's going to be in a drastically different role. Then again, he might just be one of those twists that Gonzo's throwing in.

Ah, yes, that makes at least as much sense. And Tybalt is listed amongst the cast in the Encyclopedia entry (while Paris is not) and has yet to show his face, so that probably is him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lazybastard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Ah, yes, that makes at least as much sense. And Tybalt is listed amongst the cast in the Encyclopedia entry (while Paris is not) and has yet to show his face, so that probably is him.

Seeing the similarity in looks that this new character has with Romeo(looks almost like Romeo's big brother), plus the reversed roles of Romeo and Juliet in this show. I'd guess that this Tybalt would be Romeo's cousin that end up dying at the hands of Juliet somehow.
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay right now I'm totally lovin this show. I've only seen the first 2 episodes but it's really drawing me in. I'm curious to see just how much of the story has been changed because the story has already been totally changed since the beginning. Romeo and Juliet basically switched lives in the anime. It's not even close to the story but it's still really good. I hope it gets better.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm all caught up with the series. At some point, I kinda forgot this was actually Romeo and Juliet, because of all the changes in storyline. It's still really enjoyable, though.

Also, in that bridge scene in episode 6, did anyone else get Kurogane and Fai vibes (from Tsubasa Chronicle) coming from Franciso and Curio?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

- spoiler[Confirmed, it seems, that the mysterious character is indeed Tybalt. My guess is that he's Juliet's brother (as I believe it was in the novel), but it remains a point of speculation.]

- spoiler[The Insert song toward the end was very good. Good they actually hired someone who can speak proper English!]

- spoiler[First kiss! Let's hope Hermione doesn't see...]
adonais

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Episode 7
- spoiler[The Insert song toward the end was very good. Good they actually hired someone who can speak proper English!]
- spoiler[First kiss! Let's hope Hermione doesn't see...]

Eeehhh....they couldn't have done that cheezier if they tried, and it looks like they did. Rolling Eyes Blergh. I don't get it, the orchestral score is so great, why ruin things by recycling that abominable OP??? This was the worst episode so far, IMXHO.. Only bright point was spoiler[Tybalt, who holds some promise for becoming an interesting character.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
Blergh. I don't get it, the orchestral score is so great, why ruin things by recycling that abominable OP??? This was the worst episode so far, IMXHO.. Only bright point was spoiler[Tybalt, who holds some promise for becoming an interesting character.]

Some of us not only like, but actually love, that OP, adonais. I thought it was a great choice, especially with the alternate lyrics done in English. (Same singer as for the OP, too.) Partly because of that, I found the final minute or two of the episode to be thoroughly wonderful.

The other part of the episode that I really liked was that Romeo spoiler[finally figured out who Juliet really was.] Put that scene together with the closing one and you have, IMO, one of the better episodes to date.

EDIT: corrected spelling error

Last edited by Key on Thu May 24, 2007 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
adonais

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Some of us not only like, but actually love, that OP, adonis.

Sure, fine, tastes vary - I was criticizing the song, not those who like it. I guess I'm getting used to it though, but still this bizarre image keeps popping up in my head every time I hear the OP, of a smoochy DiCaprio and a demure Winslet at the bow of some big boat, or something.

Quote:
I thought it was a great choice, especially with the alternate lyrics done in English. (Same singer as for the OP, too.) Partly because of that, I found the final minute or two of the episode to be thoroughly wonderful.

I just thought it was way too traditional and predictable, so that the ultimate moving moment, the strong emotion that they tried to evoke, was finally expressed in the cheapest possible cliché. I just wasn't moved. Where's the suspense? You can argue that that's just Shakespeare, but I'd probably disagree - and in any case Gonzo is taking enough liberties with the script anyway that I have to lay this at their feet. I'm glad people liked the episode, but for me it was a bit worrisome, in the sense that if it becomes a trend it may turn the show into something that will appeal less and less to me.

EDIT: btw, I hope you didn't deliberately misspell my username, because that's naughty. Or if it was a joke, I probably didn' get it.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Episode 7

- spoiler[Confirmed, it seems, that the mysterious character is indeed Tybalt. My guess is that he's Juliet's brother (as I believe it was in the novel), but it remains a point of speculation.]

spoiler[It was a play, not a novel. And Tybalt was Juliet's cousin in the original.]

As for the episode itself. Yes the ending was a bit on the cheesy side, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Put that scene together with the closing one and you have, IMO, one of the better episodes to date.

I know that in my opening of this topic I was sitting on the fence about this series and it's opening, that said after episodes 6 and 7 the foremen has declared that this show is a hit! And also I am actually enjoying (Closer not so much) the opening number a lot now, the song really does need a few listen. Even without the animation it's a nice little piece that I feel fits with the story.

Onwards to Episode 6 and 7 watch for spoilers spoiler[alright Tybalt is the man! When I originally read the play I always felt that he was an ass, heck in one of High school plays that's how I portrayed him. Anyways back to the KISS!!!! darn I sound like a fan girl.....any who although I should be saying how it was wrong for Romeo to force himself onto Juliet I want to believe that kind of love is real. Although I don't it exist anymore, imagine explaining that to a judge. 'Yeah I was kissing her because she was going to realize mid kiss how much she really does love me.....'

Alright back to R x J, the song was perfect, and in true Gonzo fashion the kiss was highlighted by fireworks that really blended well with the traditional background. That kiss reminds me of Final Fantasy 8 where Squall and Rinoa have there big dance.]

You know what sucks most about this spoiler[I am pretty sure it doesn't end up well for those two. Crying or Very sad ]From here I think Gonzo can really take this series anywhere it wants, I think that Tybalt certain makes an appearance an ups the war efforts against the Montague's, or perhaps were in for some more romance for a few episodes.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri May 25, 2007 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Key wrote:
Put that scene together with the closing one and you have, IMO, one of the better episodes to date.

I know that in my opening of this topic I was sitting on the fence about this series and it's opening, that said after episodes 6 and 7 the foremen has declared that this show is a hit! And also I am actually enjoying (Closer not so much) the opening number a lot now, the song really does need a few listen. Even without the animation it's a nice little piece that I feel fits with the story.

Onwards to Episode 6 and 7 watch for spoilers spoiler[alright Tybalt is the man! When I originally read the play I always felt that he was an ass, heck in one of High school plays that's how I portrayed him. Anyways back to the KISS!!!! darn I sound like a fan girl.....any who although I should be saying how it was wrong for Romeo to force himself onto Juliet I want to believe that kind of love is real. Although I don't it exist anymore, imagine explaining that to a judge. Yeah I was kissing her because she was going to release mid kiss how much she really does love me.....

Alright back to R x J, the song was perfect, and in true Gonzo fashion the kiss was highlighted by fireworks that really blended well with the traditional background. That kiss reminds me of Final Fantasy 8 where Squall and Rinoa have there big dance.]

You know what sucks most about this spoiler[I am pretty sure it doesn't end up well for those two. Crying or Very sad ]From here I think Gonzo can really take this series anywhere it wants, I think that Tybalt certain makes an appearance an ups the war efforts against the Montague's, or perhaps were in for some more romance for a few episodes.

Dude I totally agree with you. With the drastic changes that have happened in this anime compared to the play. It's way different. I freakin love Tybalt in the anime cause he was such a prick in the play. I don't know why they portrayed him this way but I think that Romeo and Tybalt are still gonna duke it out one on one. That would be one heck of a fight but so far I haven't seen Romeo with any fighting ability at all. Except for that one time where he saved Juliet from falling into the fire in that little hut they stayed in to get away from the rain. That was pretty athletic but not nearly as good as Tybalt who took out like 4 guys in a matter of seconds. And yes that kiss scene was absolutely gorgeous. I loved it. My heart skipped a few notches and I'm a freakin guy. The song was perfect. I've been singing it all day at school and everyone thought I had watched the titanic the day before. This is gonna be one heck of a series. I hope it all just gets better and better.
Mini-Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
In every play or movie made of Romeo and Juliet, knowing their tragic death didn't bothered me as much as it will in this....Their death will really make me sad and feel the actual tragedy

I can't wait for more! Cool
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
Blergh. I don't get it, the orchestral score is so great, why ruin things by recycling that abominable OP???

What are you talking about? Like many other people, I enjoy the OP also, but I can't say the samething for the ending theme(it's horribly annoying).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
What are you talking about? Like many other people, I enjoy the OP also, but I can't say the samething for the ending theme(it's horribly annoying).

I just close my player at the point, seeing as how I don't bother with next time on series x (aka previews) since they often times spoil things.....next time on DBZ "Goku Dies?" Rolling Eyes. I also can't stand the ending as well it's awful basically since my first viewing I don't listen to it anymore, but then again I hardly listen to any closers. Seeing as how I am normally way to pressed for time.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

One of the few songs (lines) that gets stuck in my head and I don't mind Arrow "Wish you out, out the west trail"...

Anyhow, I personally really like the ED song. I just think it's unfitting for the particular series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6