• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ozma (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ozma - TV, 2012

And after episode 1, I have two main thoughts: One is that this mix of 1970s character designs and modern animation totally does not work for me visually. The other is that the story looks interesting enough for me to keep watching anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
What really doesn't work for me is not the 70s character design so much as the 70s storytelling design. Oh, look, camaraderie! And the main character is blown away by everything! It's so exciting! And then disco happened.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I found most of the first episode inoffensive rather than really enjoyable. I'm not so fond of the wide-eyed, courageous boy protagonist and the Chef character just annoyed me, but I thought that it ended pretty strongly and I want to see more. The finale was a sort of big, preposterous moment, which is something that Matsumoto does well.

I don't think that it was intended, but I felt a small irony in Sam talking about how he, AS A MAN had to defend the weak, but the female captain moving most of the action, including protecting Maya, in the last act. I like the captain; she's a typical Matsumoto badass, but her tarot card reading is a nice eccentricity and I found something amusing in the line, "you make a Girl cry."

I really like the ship design too; Leiji Matsumoto is pretty good at making things look cool. His character designs have very limited range, but at least it's a mostly cool, very distinctive range. His designs are very well suited to high collars.

I don't know if this is going anywhere interesting, I had hoped for a slightly bleaker setting, but I suppose that's not the man's game, so I'll look forward to the next episode.

Besides, I want know more about, and Jesus please forgive me for what I am about to type, Captain Char-Lock.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy the character designs - they're really distinctive and totally reminds me of Space Battleship Yamato and Space Pirate Captain Harlock. Yea, you can tell I don't know much about Leiji Matsumoto. I've never gotten into the two series mentioned earlier because of the... art coloring during those times but I'm waiting impatiently for the new Space Battle Ship Yamato 2199 movie and TV series - which will be a retelling/re-animated version.

Like Surrender Artist, I'm not too fond of Sam but those types of characters usually grow on me over time. There was also this issue I had with the subs when Sam said "What? What? What? What?". C'mon, couldn't he had said something better?

I'm loving the Captain too, she's a badass and an awesome one at that. Plus her character design looks gorgeous but Maya looks pretty cute too.

Overall, I think this will be a fun show for me to follow. It has what I want: something similar to a space opera and I really enjoy space operas.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
I liked it. Yeah, the story is pretty threadbare: a definite whiff of Dune and Star Wars to it (not surprising considering how much Star Wars owes to Dune) but I like the characters so I'll go along. The throwback character designs are a plus for me. I like the modern Animu Generica look too, but it's always nice to have something different thrown into the mix. At only 6 eppies, I'm assuming the production values will be pretty decent.
Dr. Otacon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
The way the animation looks is part of the reason I want to check this series out, personally. I still haven't watched the first episode, I plan on doing that soon.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I like the old-school character design. It is to early to say something about the plot, but so far it's enjoyable.

Quote:
Besides, I want know more about, and Jesus please forgive me for what I am about to type, Captain Char-Lock.

My thoughts exactly. Laughing
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I liked it. Yeah, the story is pretty threadbare: a definite whiff of Dune and Star Wars to it (not surprising considering how much Star Wars owes to Dune) but I like the characters so I'll go along. The throwback character designs are a plus for me. I like the modern Animu Generica look too, but it's always nice to have something different thrown into the mix. At only 6 eppies, I'm assuming the production values will be pretty decent.

Yeah right! star wars aired in 1977 dune in 1985 and there's no evidence that the 1965 book it was made from had any actual influence other than dune fans imaginations.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

brilliant save for most of the similarities come from even earlier works or the mythologies the floating vehicles from worlds fair 20 years prior to the writing of DUNE.
the villain being family is part of many myths greek included.
eww they used similar names that never happens in entertainment anywhere else. a monks meditation: a training technique which gives them excellent internal control as well as supernatural prowess in combat(hmm this predates dune by a very long time).
Near death visions (wow that one I'm sure every indigenous group can say predates dune. they both chose a desert planet hmm considering there are only about five types water, temperate,jungle...etc the likelihood of similarities is pretty good even for the worst gambler out there.

the list is laughable at best pathetic at worst since it includes so many traits likely to be coincidence at best or likely to be taken from completely different sources which both took from.

Last edited by dragoneyes001 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
The parallels are obvious. A handful of similarities can be explained away as coincidence. But when they start adding up like the do here you really have to be... well, whatever, not to see it. Remember there is nothing nefarious about being influenced by other works. Happens all the time. Nobody is claiming that Star Wars is a blatant rip-off of Dune; only that George Lucas quite obviously read the book. Deal with it.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'm too optimistic about this series. As has probably been mentioned, the two main females (the captain and whatever-her-name-is that Sam saves) look like they took the Galaxy Express to the set. I've noted briefly in my 'seen some' list some other issues such as Sam being a spitting image of ZZ Amuro (and the antagonist being reminiscent of a brunette Char), the idiocy of operating anything with 'quantum' in the name via two red hose spigot knobs, the Dune debt (which has also been mentioned. Trigun is likewise indebted, these elements were not a staple of the franchise, unless you consider the idea of a desert planet peculiar to Dune and Dune alone. Ozma, on the other hand, seems to be capitalizing on this element). The 'sand diving' I haven't seen anywhere before, but I wonder how they're going to pacify the issue of bedrock without getting all Buckaroo Bonzai, in which case I will require a Jeff Goldblum in cowboy garb for satisfaction.

For what it's worth, Star Wars is indebted to Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress...in fact, just make that Kurosawa in general.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Sure, the Kurosawa debt in Star Wars has been commented on for decades. A given work can have more than one influence.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sure, the Kurosawa debt in Star Wars has been commented on for decades. A given work can have more than one influence.

Certainly, in fact affectation by previous work is an ineluctable part of creation. Look at the Halo phenomenon; who's ever read Niven or Banks? The issue--in my opinion--is whether or not the 'original' substance brought to the table (inverted commas to recognize the nihilist approach to the word) is 'good'. Granted one episode won't suffice for 'fair' judgment, but so far this show leaves me feeling like the bits that aren't collage are...not well thought out.

Now maybe the aim of this show is purely entertainment value, but I take exception to throwing the word quantum around unless you're going to make it work. Somehow entering your 'land-submarine' apparatus into a quantum state to move through whatever could very well be the direction they're going, but if you're going to take it that far, you should at least make it plausible, i.e. not operated by little red knobs that were taken off the lead-animator's hose spigot...to say nothing of the countless issues regarding free-floating teleportation (i.e. the object being teleported also being the mechanism). Now I'm making a big assumption here, but it's based on the prenominate issue re bedrock (which presumably applies to the "ozma" themselves, too). This is something even a third-rate movie like Tremors took into account.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Hey, Tremors was awesome!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3