• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
tsuritama (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote

tsuritama
Anime Spotlight

Plot Summary: In Enoshima, Yuki is a high school student who's never been good at making real friends thanks to his abnormally poor communication skills. Haru is the self-styled alien who decides to teach Yuki to fish. Natsuki is an irritable born-and-raised local. Akira is the mysterious Indian who watches them all from a distance. These four meet, fish, and find big adventures on their little island.

12 Episodes
Aliens, Fishing, Sci-Fi

Ep. 1
hmm, not sure what to say about this one, definitely something different compared to the rest of the season thats for sure

for a start, its alot more bright and colourful than most series, and usually i'd take issue with something like that but it completely fits the series, it just has that kinda feel to it. the whole setting in Enoshima and the characters, in particular Haru and Akira really bring the whole series to life. alot of very different characters making up the core group from the looks of things, but there seems to be some mystery about them as well.

as for the rest of the series, i have no real idea where this is going beyond the obvious line near the end, but i'm interested enough to stick with it to find out

also, spoiler[seeing the goose sitting at the table just me made laugh for some reason], i really hopes theres more stuff like that in this

Last edited by Volibear on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this series as an avid fan of the director, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. It's much more whimsical and upbeat than a lot of his earlier stuff which I think will make it more appealing to the mainstream. I love the use of color, and the opening scene (portraying the legend) was very creative.

As with Kids on the Slope, I found the portrayal of the main character's anxiety to be really creative and vivid. The idea of drowining in anxiety seems very apt, especially considering the premise of this series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Noitamina is involved in this makes me want to watch
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch a few more episodes, but my interest will pivot on how they play this 'save the world by fishing with this alien' gag. Alien-kun reminds me a bit of Nino from Arakawa Under the Bridge (confessed alien, ichtheologically gifted) though a bit more extroverted.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Come on, Kenji Nakamura! You can do it!

I'm probably the most emotionally invested in this show out of all the other ones airing this season. Kids on the Slope will almost certainly be great, I'm not at all worried about the new Lupin and Mysterious Girlfriend X appears to be on the right track. But Kenji Nakamura hasn't done anything legitimately great since Mononoke, and if he could somehow turn things around and make good then that would be amazing.

So far I'm cautiously optimistic. The alien kid gets on my nerves a bit, but I thought the way that the director portrayed the protagonist's panic attacks was a really neat piece of visual direction. Especially the moment near the end where the fishing pole literally drags him out of it. It looks like the water is clutching at his ankles! This is great!

At any rate, it looks like Noitamina is back. Not to mention that this season might be one of the best in ages.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
I didn't know what to expect from this at all, but I really liked the first episode. The colour scheme kind of reminded me of Katanagatari, which is awesome. I liked the imagery as well. Definitely coming back for more, although I do fear it may become stale if not handled right.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm hooked so far. I loved the colors used in this series, the clever way of protraying someone who was "drowning in anxiety", and the opening was really fun to watch. Yuki's facial expressions were also pretty hilarious. I am looking forward to the next episode as this series has alot of potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Gorgeous was the word that kept running through my mind while watching this. The artwork is splendid, I love the overly bright colors. It makes witnessing every scene a real treat.

The intro with the story about the dragon and goddess reminded me of Reading Rainbow. The book comes to life, while a character actor narrates the tale! Or something like that...I'm weird I know.

Anyway, I'm in for the next few episodes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode. Quirky is the name of the game here, and everything I've seen so far lives up to that-Haru is mysterious, Yuki suffers from extreme anxiety (which is relatable, and beautifully portrayed by the "drowning" sequences), and the art style is lovely.

Natsuki annoyed me a little. He's the kind of character who seems to want to be "cool," but it just comes off as mean. (a tsundere guy?)

As for Akira, well, seeing an Indian guy in a turban surrounded by a bunch of guys in suits and turbans didn't make a compelling introduction to his character. I hope he'll join the gang soon so that we'll know more about him than "spies on people with binoculars and talks to his pet duck." (Although talking to one's pet duck is an intriguing enough character trait on its own! Very Happy)

Some questions:
-Was it ever mentioned why Yuki and his grandmother move so much? If it was, I missed it.

-Does anyone else think that spoiler[Haru controls people by squirting them with his water gun? Sure seems that way.]

-If I got it right: Yuki=Snow; Haru=Spring; and Natsuki=Summer. Naming theme?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

-If I got it right: Yuki=Snow; Haru=Spring; and Natsuki=Summer. Naming theme?

Yes. We need someone with the word "Fuyu" in their name, then we have winter as well Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
-Does anyone else think that spoiler[Haru controls people by squirting them with his water gun? Sure seems that way.]
That does seem to be the case, he spoiler[got an anxious person to sing and dance, and a make the unsocial share his hobby.]
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
yamata no orochi wrote:
But Kenji Nakamura hasn't done anything legitimately great since Mononoke, and if he could somehow turn things around and make good then that would be amazing.

Kuuchuu Buranko was more rewarding when I watched again some months later, but in general, I'd agree. Tsuritama seems to have the right mix of content to work well with his style of direction and story-telling.

Haru's squirt gun seems to effect a temporal shift of some sort. The scene that follows each squirt is disconnected in time from the one before it.

I wondered if Haru and Yuki aren't somehow connected to the princess and dragon shown at the outset. Yuki's red hair and submerged experiences suggest a tie to the dragon. Haru could really be an alien and connected to the princess. Alternatively, Oba-chan could be the princess.

And, no, we're never told why she and Yuki move so often, nor why Yuki lives with his grandmother. (At least in Sakamichi no Apollon we learn that Kaoru's mother abandoned them, and his father spends most of his time at sea.) Keito might just be the sort of person who hates to put down ties and lives for the adventure of travel. Rather unkind to Yuki, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, the thing about the princess and the dragon thing had me crossing my fingers that it was not yaoi. I remember watching a previous show where a prince and princess got reincarnated, and both happened to be boys.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Tsuritama is the only show this season I actually enjoyed watching and likely will be the only new show I'll watch for the entirety.

Finally, for the first time in years a cast of characters that are anything but standard. A main character who becomes stressed easily (yet makes a hilarious facial expression in doing so), a guy who thinks he is a alien and can talk to goldfish, a unsocial able fisherman who is often called the prince of fishing and a spy who watches all these guys with a goose.

The artwork in this series is also quite lush and awesome as well. Reminds me of Arakawa Under The Bridge in that aspect. This series is shaping up nicely.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode. It's nice to see a gathering of unconventional characters that actually riff off of each other well.

belindabird wrote:
The idea of drowining in anxiety seems very apt, especially considering the premise of this series.

Definitely, that was something that had me smiling throughout. There are a lot of clever touches in this show thus far, and it's lovely to look at as well. As far as introductory episodes go, I think it's perfect for making your mind up whether you'll like the series or not. On another day in another anime, a character like Yuki might have annoyed the hell out of me. Within the context of this show, however, he seems a massive part of the dynamic and I enjoy the screentime he gets. Throw in a massive hookline (pun very much intended) at the end about saving the world and I'm sold.

I also totally dig chicks with cute moles but eh, I digress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5