• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ride Back (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noether

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
My reaction to this was essentially "Holy crap that was awesome."

Somebody needs to invent a rideback. Now.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Noether wrote:
Somebody needs to invent a rideback. Now.

AMEN! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Westlo wrote:

Rideback is very political.

Oh...

Oh dear.

Sad

Don't get me wrong, I love the news, but that's real world, I don't want that intruding into my escapism too much.

I think he means political in that there will be political intrigue or the plot will involve things like revolution or otherwise dealing with governments rather than that the series is going to be focused on real world politics. It's pretty clear that Rideback is not set in our world. I'm sure there will be some sort of message applicable to our world but its already clearly separate from our own reality with the GGP stuff. That said, its possible its message will be overtly political and relevant to some real world situation (i.e. Iraq or something like that), in which case I guess its the same problem.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
Westlo wrote:

Rideback is very political.

Oh...

Oh dear.

Sad

Don't get me wrong, I love the news, but that's real world, I don't want that intruding into my escapism too much.

I think he means political in that there will be political intrigue or the plot will involve things like revolution or otherwise dealing with governments rather than that the series is going to be focused on real world politics. It's pretty clear that Rideback is not set in our world. I'm sure there will be some sort of message applicable to our world but its already clearly separate from our own reality with the GGP stuff. That said, its possible its message will be overtly political and relevant to some real world situation (i.e. Iraq or something like that), in which case I guess its the same problem.

erm...I'm pretty sure hentai4me is just looking for a light, fluffy show without ANY politics in it. As for that, well, it looks like it's going to be very balanced. I doubt it'll get too dark, involved, or serious; it's more likely to have moments like those in-between the club antics, Rin's coming-of-age, and rideback showdowns.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
erm...I'm pretty sure hentai4me is just looking for a light, fluffy show without ANY politics in it. As for that, well, it looks like it's going to be very balanced. I doubt it'll get too dark, involved, or serious; it's more likely to have moments like those in-between the club antics, Rin's coming-of-age, and rideback showdowns.

That's what I want!
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

That's what I want!

Hmmm.... well, I suggest Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo (Sora Kake Girl ) then. It's looking pretty damn good after two episodes--fun, not syrupy, with a scrappy young heroine and a sidekick, both of whom are fluffy enough, with a space-travelling mystery yet to be revealed. It may turn out to be very good, because it's deceptively creative so far. My favorite of the non-serious fare this season. Unless you want ecchi with your fluff, then it's Asu no Yoichi!--sort of a martial arts Amaenaideyo, or Bamboo Blade with a harem dude Smile. You can also waste some brain cells on Akikan!, which raised in rating from a 1 to a 2 in the second episode... nuf said (and yes, the scale goes to 100).
furizaa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
I saw all the hype this show was getting in this thread, so I decided to check Ride Back out, but for some reason, it didn't really just click for me... Which is strange, cause I liked the art style, I don't really have a problem with mechas, and I love Nana Mizuki as a seiyuu. It was pretty cool when Rin was doing some tricks (inadvertently) at the end though. I think I'll try again next week with episode two, to see if things will get better for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
guet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The "hype" caused me to check this one out as well, I wasn't blown away or anything, but other than some odd character designs I really liked it. The ride-back concept is fairly unique, and the animation and voice acting is well above average. I'll give this one some more time, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't look at the hype on this one at all first; I only checked it out because I'm checking out the first episode of everything this season that isn't a sequel series. Given the "girl and her robotic motorcycle" premise, I wasn't expecting much, so this was a mightily pleasant surprise for me.

"Elegance" and "grace" are not two words I'd normally associate with mecha, but I can't think of any other adequate way to describe the impression given by Rin riding around on the RideBack. As others have noted, that someone as tightly in control of their entire physique as a ballet dancer would be a natural on a machine like this actually makes sense and spoiler[the joy on her face in that final scene, as she clearly discovers something that can replace ballet in her heart], accompanied by superb use of an unusually subdued take on a classical music piece much better-known for its bold sound, sells the episode even if nothing before it did. Even the bike design has a refreshing uniqueness to it.

I also have to agree with comments that some of the character designs don't look quite right, and the political premise stands out like a red flag to me, but this one has enough else going for it that I can overlook those for now. I rank its first episode with White Album as one of the two most impressive series starts I've seen so far this season.

Lovely closer, too, especially with its visuals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
omg i love this show now, completely different than most girl with a motorcycle shows. Key im going to agree with you, this is a very elegant and graceful show and i'm looking forward to more episodes.

also i have a proposition for all auto makers, please make a ride back!!!
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
accompanied by superb use of an unusually subdued take on a classical music piece much better-known for its bold sound

Thanks for the music observation. That's what separates a fan from a true critic. Now I have to re-watch it Smile
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Thanks for the music observation. That's what separates a fan from a true critic. Now I have to re-watch it Smile

If I'm not mistaken, the recurrent classical musical theme (used both in the ballet/setting flashback at the beginning and in the climatic scene at the end) is "The Great Gate at Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition, played in the original piano solo arrangement penned by Modest Mussorgsky. (This piece is much more commonly heard by non-music-enthusiasts in a more dramatic-sounding full orchestral arrangement.)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
I think this is a very interesting series. I do think that the character designs are a bit flat (kinda remind me of 80's Miyazaki stuff), and they mecha CG doesn't mech with the hand drawn at all, but taken on its own the mecha design is really cool. I also do get the impression that the plot will have political ramifications, but I kinda wish the first episode had given more of a hint of how the min character(s) will fit into that, because aside from the background information and the slightly agressive tone of the opening, I would just assume that it's destined to be more of an IGPX style racing series, but I suspect that's not the case.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
pparker wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the recurrent classical musical theme (used both in the ballet/setting flashback at the beginning and in the climatic scene at the end) is "The Great Gate at Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition, played in the original piano solo arrangement penned by Modest Mussorgsky. (This piece is much more commonly heard by non-music-enthusiasts in a more dramatic-sounding full orchestral arrangement.)

Good call. Even now having listened to an orchestral version, I probably wouldn't have recognized the piano solo, but it fits beautifully. The timing for the beginning sequence is impeccable, and the callback at the end subconsciously drives home her having discovered spoiler[a substitute for ballet]. God, I hope this level of quality continues...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a mixed bag.

The bad:

-It started off painfully slow. Not glacial slow, but still slow.

-The character designs are off. The room-mate really does look like an egg. And the omnipresent blushing

-That one girl who was a fan of Rin. She is incredibly annoying, and who spouts off like that in real life? Only in Anime. The rest of that cafeteria scene was annoying as well.

-The overly mature characters sitting down and talking about subjects that few teenagers would get into.

-The overuse of ballet; a trope often found in Anime, where a hobby/sport takes on more importance than most real people would give to it. I mean, it is perfectly normal to expect that a person who can no longer perform their favourite hobby/sport would be devastated. But to see the world solely through the lens of ballet is, well, hmmm. I just cannot understand that viewpoint.

The good:

-Inventive camera angles. I loved the first-person perspective used at times.

-The CGI is very impressive. It is small things like how Rin walks around the Rideback and it seamlessly turns in her field of view...very cool.

-I loved how she didn't stumble on an advanced prototype in the woods, or meet up with terrorists who stole it only for her to somehow get into the rider's seat... No, she didn't go through any of the cliche scenarios that so plague Mecha. Instead, a kind geek invited her to hop on and try it out. And then a loose wire - plausible given the not-quite finished nature of the Fuego - inserted legitimate drama into the episode.

-Some of the supporting characters are interesting. Namely the guy who fixes the Fuego by plugging the computer back in; he happily escapes being typecast.

-Rin's delight at riding on the Rideback was genuine, even I could see that. It was really good to watch, though the riding part did feel a tad too long.

-The Rideback Mecha may be just the sort of Real Robot material I've been hoping for. They certainly look funny, but the OP with Rin riding it made me want to ride on one. I don't know how the world was taken over by them, but they are cool to watch for all of their strangeness. One nitpick though; where are the safety features? Rin was riding around in both the OP and the episode itself, and she had no harness to keep her safe. How is she supposed to fight (and I'm presuming she will fight) without being thrown from the machine at every turn?

The episode did not get me hooked onto the series. It did however sufficiently impress me enough that I will watch the next one when it comes out.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11