• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Digimon DVD Season Sets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The Right Stuf has it listed too now
Says it'll come with a 40 page booklet too, and will be dub only. Perhaps they will be able to shed more light on this set? But yeah, getting a TRSI listing does give me hope.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
If it's anything like the version that Canada made, it'll be the original Japanese film with the English audio over it. which I hope is the case for this one, but a legal R1 version, not bootleg.

Which, seeing as RightStuf has it, means it's not one...I hope. It'll be just plain sad if the release has the TV logos on the screen.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Awww dub-only is one big PASS for me Sad Too bad, I was really hoping for a disc release of this... I was hoping to get rid of my fansubs too... Well, the wait continues. I just can't go back to the edited dub version^^
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Awww dub-only is one big PASS for me Sad Too bad, I was really hoping for a disc release of this... I was hoping to get rid of my fansubs too... Well, the wait continues. I just can't go back to the edited dub version^^

...you're passing on dub-only EVEN though you grew up on the dubbed version. How stupid is that?
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

...you're passing on dub-only EVEN though you grew up on the dubbed version. How stupid is that?

Some people watched the dub, then watched the subs. And liked the subs better. Is that so hard to understand?

I'm a bit confused as to why they'd do a dub-only release now a days, but it doesn't really bother me? The old dub is what I wanted, after all. Anime smallmouth
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
While DVDs are able to have multiple versions of a given scene for just this eventuality, I don't think that's a feature that's ever gotten much use(and thus would be expensive and time consuming to implement). I also don't know how it'd handle scenes deleted in the dub.

And, of course, most people are going to be buying it for the dub they grew up on, so ultimately it's a case of them deciding the extra sales weren't worth the expense.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Some people watched the dub, then watched the subs. And liked the subs better. Is that so hard to understand?

I'm a bit confused as to why they'd do a dub-only release now a days, but it doesn't really bother me? The old dub is what I wanted, after all. Anime smallmouth

BECAUSE they can't do a subbed track. People, get that through their thick skulls. Saban edited scenes out, they never were dubbed in the first place. They might be like the people that are doing Samurai Pizza Cat and MIGHT do a sub-only release with the dub-only release, but I doubt Toei would ever let us have the original Digimon over here.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:

BECAUSE they can't do a subbed track. People, get that through their thick skulls. Saban edited scenes out, they never were dubbed in the first place. They might be like the people that are doing Samurai Pizza Cat and MIGHT do a sub-only release with the dub-only release, but I doubt Toei would ever let us have the original Digimon over here.

I know the dub was edited. We had that discussion on the first page.

What I don't understand is why they wouldn't include a sub in this release. Regardless of the technical difficulties therein, it seems like that's become the standard for any anime release. I'm not expecting them to go back and re-dub the series or anything, but maybe even at least providing the Japanese audio to the edited scenes would have been better than nothing?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

WOW are you serious?? It doesn't matter WHAT someone 'grows up with' but what they actually LIKE. Not all cartoons that I grew up with, do I still enjoy today. I just happen to like better the uncut version with NO dub jokes/puns, and the original Wada Kouji and AiM music!

Vata Raven wrote:

Well if they ARE currently streaming THREE uncut, subbed Digimon seasons on Crunchyroll/Hulu right now, you see why I was actually hopeful.

...I just think it's funny that I emphasized my disappointment for the version I preferred more to get a "why would you turn your back on the dub?!" response! I'm not a dub-hater, I watch tons of stuff as a dub, but Digimon was one that totally changed things around for me, once I found its original version...

Last edited by Sheleigha on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

...Because it's a hacked up dub that in no way represents the actual show itself and just a reminder of how some companies still think this is the early 90s when whitewashing was considered acceptable?

Just imagine if you're favorite show was available edited dub only; Madoka, Steins Gate, Death Note... yeah, wouldn't go over so well. People choosing to not buy it makes perfect logical sense.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

...Because it's a hacked up dub that in no way represents the actual show itself and just a reminder of how some companies still think this is the early 90s when whitewashing was considered acceptable?

Just imagine if you're favorite show was available edited dub only; Madoka, Steins Gate, Death Note... yeah, wouldn't go over so well. People choosing to not buy it makes perfect logical sense.

I wouldn't care. I'm not like other people that turn to the internet to watch the Japanese stream of it. So when it comes here, it's the first I know about it. And Saban did a damn good job with the dub for Digimon, it was season 5 that Disney did that was awful but still decent enough. I say it was Freeman's voice that saved it for me.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I wouldn't care. I'm not like other people that turn to the internet to watch the Japanese stream of it. So when it comes here, it's the first I know about it. And Saban did a damn good job with the dub for Digimon, it was season 5 that Disney did that was awful but still decent enough. I say it was Freeman's voice that saved it for me.

So, how is it our fault that YOU chose to go that route?

Saban doing a "good" dub job, is up for debate on what you think a BAD dub actually is. The voices were good for the most part, but the scripts and edit weren't so much. Some episodes were well-done, but I still consider Pokemon to be a better dub. Why? Because I actually prefer that they cut an entire episode, just because a gun is in it, rather than digitally taking it out, and excuse "scratching a leg" for "looking for bullets. I wont' even get into the movie (which I still consider to be THE worst dub ever made).

Now, I'm not trying to ruin this for those that DO enjoy the dub for the nostalgia or whatever, but this the reason as to why I don't enjoy it anymore. Most of your comments on this just sound anti-sub, but DO realize that others have a different opinion on this.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
If I wasn't already spending close to $60 already throughout September and December on a few other things I want, I would consider this pre-ordered. While Season 2 is my favorite out of the three seasons of Digimon I actually watched, I still love Season 1 and would love to have this - like most everyone else - just for the nostalgia factor.

Yes, it's 99.9% sure the edited dub and not an uncut re-dub. But honestly, despite the "eh" job they did on it, it was "amazing and great" as a kid and now "hilariously fantastic" as an adult. Kinda like the dub for Yu-Gi-Oh! - loved it as a kid, but re-watched it two or three years down the line and I just laughed at it, but still loved it all the same. To me, that "corny" memory of it just makes me love these things even more. Anime hyper
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
New Video Group has posted additional release details here: LINK.
Quote:
*DISC 1: Episodes 1-7: And So It Begins… / The Birth of Greymon / Garurumon / Biyomon Gets Firepower / Kabuterimon’s Electro Shocker / Togemon In Toy Town / Ikkakumon’s Harpoon Torpedo
*DISC 2: Episodes 8-14: Evil Shows His Face / Subzero Ice Punch! / A Clue from the Digi-Past / The Dancing Digimon / DigiBaby Boom / The Legend of the Digidestined / Depature for a New Continent
*DISC 3: Episodes 15-21: The Dark Network of Etemon / The Arrival of SkullGreymon / The Crest of Sincerity / The Piximon Cometh / The Prisoner of the Pyramid / The Earthquake of MetalGreymon / Home Away from Home
*DISC 4: Episodes 22-28: Forget About It! / WereGarurumon’s Diner / No Questions, Please / Princess Karaoke / Sora’s Crest of Love / The Gateway to Home / It’s All in the Cards
*DISC 5: Episodes 29-35: Return to Highton View Terrace / Almost Home Free / The Eighth Digivice / Gatomon Comes Calling / Out on the Town / The Eighth Child Revealed / Flower Power
*DISC 6: Episodes 36-42: City Under Siege / Wizardmon’s Gift / Prophecy / The Battle for Earth / Enter the Dark Masters / Sea-Sick and Tired / Under Pressure
*DISC 7: Episodes 43-49: Playing Games / Trash Day / The Ultimate Clash / Etemon’s Comeback Tour / Ogremon’s Honor / My Sister’s Keeper / The Crest of Light
*DISC 8: Episodes 50-54, Bonus: Joe’s Battle / The Crest of Friendship / Piedmon’s Last Jest / Now Apocalymon / The Fate of Two Worlds / Photo Gallery

Quote:
Bonus Features

36-page Character Guide Booklet Featuring the Seven Original Characters Plus Kari; Gallery Featuring Over 40 Behind-the-Scenes Sketches

Quote:
DVD Configuration: DVD 8-pk SET
DVD Disc Type: 8pk in special swing amaray with 36 pg. booklet
DVD Run Time: 19 hrs. + extras

DVD Frame rate: 29.97
DVD Closed caption: No
DVD Subtitles: No
DVD Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Studio: Toei Animation Inc.
Language: English
Color: Color
Aspect ratio: 1.33:1
Region: Region 1

Quote:
©Akiyoshi Hongo, Toei Animation. Film ©1999 Toei Animation Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Art and Design ©2012 New Video Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Marketed and distributed in the U.S. by New Video.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
New Video Group has posted additional release details here: LINK.
Quote:
*DISC 1: Episodes 1-7: And So It Begins… / The Birth of Greymon / Garurumon / Biyomon Gets Firepower / Kabuterimon’s Electro Shocker / Togemon In Toy Town / Ikkakumon’s Harpoon Torpedo
*DISC 2: Episodes 8-14: Evil Shows His Face / Subzero Ice Punch! / A Clue from the Digi-Past / The Dancing Digimon / DigiBaby Boom / The Legend of the Digidestined / Depature for a New Continent
*DISC 3: Episodes 15-21: The Dark Network of Etemon / The Arrival of SkullGreymon / The Crest of Sincerity / The Piximon Cometh / The Prisoner of the Pyramid / The Earthquake of MetalGreymon / Home Away from Home
*DISC 4: Episodes 22-28: Forget About It! / WereGarurumon’s Diner / No Questions, Please / Princess Karaoke / Sora’s Crest of Love / The Gateway to Home / It’s All in the Cards
*DISC 5: Episodes 29-35: Return to Highton View Terrace / Almost Home Free / The Eighth Digivice / Gatomon Comes Calling / Out on the Town / The Eighth Child Revealed / Flower Power
*DISC 6: Episodes 36-42: City Under Siege / Wizardmon’s Gift / Prophecy / The Battle for Earth / Enter the Dark Masters / Sea-Sick and Tired / Under Pressure
*DISC 7: Episodes 43-49: Playing Games / Trash Day / The Ultimate Clash / Etemon’s Comeback Tour / Ogremon’s Honor / My Sister’s Keeper / The Crest of Light
*DISC 8: Episodes 50-54, Bonus: Joe’s Battle / The Crest of Friendship / Piedmon’s Last Jest / Now Apocalymon / The Fate of Two Worlds / Photo Gallery

Quote:
Bonus Features

36-page Character Guide Booklet Featuring the Seven Original Characters Plus Kari; Gallery Featuring Over 40 Behind-the-Scenes Sketches

Quote:
DVD Configuration: DVD 8-pk SET
DVD Disc Type: 8pk in special swing amaray with 36 pg. booklet
DVD Run Time: 19 hrs. + extras

DVD Frame rate: 29.97
DVD Closed caption: No
DVD Subtitles: No
DVD Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Studio: Toei Animation Inc.
Language: English
Color: Color
Aspect ratio: 1.33:1
Region: Region 1

Quote:
©Akiyoshi Hongo, Toei Animation. Film ©1999 Toei Animation Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Art and Design ©2012 New Video Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Marketed and distributed in the U.S. by New Video.

Can you figure out if it'll be like the Madman version and have the TV logos on the screen while it plays?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5