• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shin Mazinger -- info and discussion.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I just realized this was being headed by the guy who did Giant Robo. Giant Robo is one of my most favorite Animes ever, I'm definitely watching the rest of this show for sure.
And don't forget that Mobile Fighter G Gundam was also directed by the same guy, unless you would like each us to personally remind you with a Burning Finger. Twisted Evil
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
I just realized this was being headed by the guy who did Giant Robo. Giant Robo is one of my most favorite Animes ever, I'm definitely watching the rest of this show for sure.
And don't forget that Mobile Fighter G Gundam was also directed by the same guy, unless you would like each us to personally remind you with a Burning Finger. Twisted Evil

Lets not forget the 2004 remake of Tetsujin 28.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Lets not forget the 2004 remake of Tetsujin 28.
But of course, still got the R1 DVD of that, gotta love that nostalgic theme song.

Also worth mentioning are the first and last 3 episodes of Shin Getter Robo OVA. Or else it's Stoner Sunshine 'till it glows! Twisted Evil
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

Also worth mentioning are the first and last 3 episodes of Shin Getter Robo OVA. Or else it's Stoner Sunshine 'till it glows! Twisted Evil

I don't believe he actually worked on it past the pre-production stage, although that did cover the first three episodes, which explains why the rest of the series is very different.

Never heard anything about his working on the last ones though.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

I don't believe he actually worked on it past the pre-production stage, although that did cover the first three episodes, which explains why the rest of the series is very different.

Never heard anything about his working on the last ones though.
To be exact, besides working on pre-production, Imagawa was also the producer/演出 of ep. 02, 07, and 12. However back then he was using the alas Gesu Yasuhiro/下司泰弘 as oppose to his real name Imagawa Yasuhiro/今川泰宏.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
The new OP is here! Very Happy
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that about Imagawa using an alias, so thanks for clearing it up.

As for the new OP...the theme is pretty good, although recycling so much animation (at least for now) might be a little questionable.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
The new OP is here! Very Happy

It's just F'ing Awesome!!!!! worthy of being a Mazinger OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
To add to my previous comment, perhaps the opening animation will change for each episode? That's pretty much my current guess. The song sounds better every time I hear it, but the sequence could use something like that.

As for the second episode, we're definitely back to what appears to be a straightforward retelling and that should eliminate any confusion at least for the time being. I wouldn't be able to tell anyone what's truly new or whether it's faithful to the manga though.

All in all, I liked the episode (spoiler[Kouji's grandpa is weird, but fairly likeable...but is he dead now, literally in another dimension or what?]) and am patiently awaiting the next one.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
Just saw the second episode, raw.

:Nightjuan

Yes, we're more or less resuming the standard narrative but there's a LOT of new stuff here! For starters, the beach front property is new. In the manga, the Professor's house is in Tokyo. In the anime, he still has the Tokyo house, but Mazinger was kept in a country home. The house in this show resembles the country home from the anime. Also new is Boss being so downright awful to Kouji and Shirou. Previously, Kouji and Boss have squared off in past versions but never like this! Also the stuff with the weird sword guy killing people and Ankokuji trailer the Professor is also new. In the manga, he's a cop the responds to the chaos Mazinger Z causes in Tokyo the first time Kouji pilots it. Also in previous versions and evident in Mazinkaiser is that Kouji found Mazinger in his grandfather's basement--the Professor never sent the Pilder for him and launched it by himself. In fact... spoiler[Kouji's grandfather usually dies right after explaining to Kouji about Mazinger making him like a God or a Devil. Course in the original anime, he explains about Dr. Hell too but I don't think he did it in this episode (gotta wait for the sub)]

Also different is Dr. Hell's "room". In the original, it's not a mass of gears and cogs, this is is new. If you saw Mazinkaiser, that's pretty much how it's supposed to look.

Oh, and those monsters that attack Kouji on the beach, I think those are new too.

All in all, it was a good episode, same basic narrative but lots of surprises, and we even have that "low brow" humor that ANN reviewer girl was complaining about it lacking. :p Even a "Harenchi" reference! Anime hyper So far, this is a good, new spin on the classic and I can't wait for the next one! Anime hyper
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
My impressions about episode 2 RAW here

I liked it, Imagawa gives us a bit of resolution of the battle against the Great General as it throws us into the origins of this story with elements of the manga, the anime and new stuff to keep people on their toes, at least from the anime, Rumy is missing and the Hover Pilder sure flies like Jet Pilder.

In one word, great episode.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first episode yesterday. Maddeningly incoherent, but awesome. Definitely gonna be watching more.

Hell, now that I've discovered Imagawa, I've even started on Giant Robo. Enjoying it thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
My impressions about episode 2 RAW here

I liked it, Imagawa gives us a bit of resolution of the battle against the Great General as it throws us into the origins of this story with elements of the manga, the anime and new stuff to keep people on their toes, at least from the anime, Rumy is missing and the Hover Pilder sure flies like Jet Pilder.

In one word, great episode.

Rumy? Is that the name of the girl (house keeper?) Baron Ashura kills while looking for Juuzou?
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:

Rumy? Is that the name of the girl (house keeper?) Baron Ashura kills while looking for Juuzou?

Yes, that's her... in one of the spanish dubs (there are to my knowledge 3 spanish dubs), she was a sister.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Hell, now that I've discovered Imagawa, I've even started on Giant Robo. Enjoying it thus far.
The man is a legend in his own right just because of his "go big, or go home" directorial style in super robot anime. To him, not a single scene in super robot anime should go to waste, so every scene must be done in an extravagant style in order to get the most out of the production budget. However, it's exactly due to this extravagant aspect of Imagawa's directing, that Giant Robo the OVA took 6 years to finish its 6 episodes due to lack of production funds. This is also why Imagawa is both praised and feared in the Japanese anime industry; the man is just simply too extreme to be on the helm(his nickname in the Japanese anime fandom is Captain Imagawa).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12