• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Lover!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about rating it worst ever...
The only episode I enjoyed was episode 1, after that it was just plain self-torture.
Ever heard of "completionists"? I'm one of them, and that's why I finished this anime.
Just like Hentai_JP said, watching the censored version ain't recommended at all, actually, do your best to avoid it.

I must say that this anime was some kinda of mission impossible, hayate no gotoku and some third class superhero mixed, cooked with added stupidness and unless you plan on staring at their panties for whole episodes you wouldn't buy the dvd.

Edit: Ok, as a thanks for the first episode (though hope is the first step towards despair) I'll rate it as "weak". I might change my mind if they turn this into hentai and sell the dvd over here.
sanjayts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the final episode of Princess Lover!

The highlights of this episode are:
spoiler[- Revelation that Hartman has missed Teppie at a point blank range
- Charlotte ends up saving Josie with the help of the goons who have supposedly studied medicine
- Hartman reveals that he is the one who killed Teppie's parents to avenge the insult done by Arima Isshin
- Teppie gives Hartman some "Naruto" talk of not giving up and starting off a new life which causes Hartman to realize his mistake
- The train blows to pieces; Teppie and Charl are saved by Slyvie, Hartman is saved by the butler
- The show reaches a happy conclusion; all the girls are again ready to try thier luck with Teppie though it's pretty obvious who'd win. Hartman is shown to be holding Josie's hand. Teppie gives up on his "revenge" and is now a grown man who can now handle the Arima business etc. etc.]

The Good:spoiler[
- Animation
- Fanservice
- A few comic scenes here and there
- Nice OP and ED]

The Bad:spoiler[
- Feeble plot
- Boring narration
- Cliche all the way
- Motivation/direction lacking villians]

RIP Pricess Lover!; something which could have been made into an interesting romance/action anime but was ruined by stock characters, forced dialogues and bad story line.

Oh well, guess I'll just wait for the uncensored version like the rest of Pricess Lover followers. Smile
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I would watch the uncensored version if I could understand Japanese. For me, I can't really enjoy anime unless it's subbed or dubbed. However, that is the case for many fans. I am glad that Teppei seems to have chosen Charlotte because she was my fave girl. spoiler[I got a kick out of the dialogue that implied they were having sex. Hell, Charlotte is so hot I wish I was Teppei.]
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Is a highly underrated anime. the show is just about half way through the "bottom 500" list, sure there are a few girls with abnormally large breast, and a few ecchi jokes (A LOT LESS THAN MOST ECCHIs), but the plot (in my opinion of course) is more well written than many animes in the "TOP 500".

Avg anime: some dude who runs into a bunch of girls, and he sees lots of pervy things he shouldn't see, and the guy gets slapped, smashed, or beaten.

In the harem aspect: all the girls fall in love with him, and half the characters are "robots" (characters with little background with them or they have a very "generic" background).
Princess lover, however adds unique backgrounds to each character in the series.

I'll explain more into more detail, after a few replies.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
Is a highly underrated anime. the show is just about half way through the "bottom 500" list, sure there are a few girls with abnormally large breast, and a few ecchi jokes (A LOT LESS THAN MOST ECCHIs), but the plot (in my opinion of course) is more well written than many animes in the "TOP 500".

Since we do have an established series thread for this one (even though it hasn't been posted to in more than a year), I have transferred your post into it. Please use this thread for any future commentary on the series.

Concerning what you said: really, did we see the same series? This one had no shortage of ecchi jokes, even compared to other series in its genre; in fact, that was practically the focus of the series. I thought it started out pretty well but ultimately didn't think that it did much that was special beyond having some actual nudity in its uncensored form. (And if you decide to look around for the OVA episode associated with this series, be forewarned that it's full-blown hentai.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
Is a highly underrated anime.

I disagree, that show is not underrated at all. People forgot about it for a reason. The first episode was the only good episode I remember from it; after that, it drove itself into the ground rather quickly. I dropped it after that whole building under siege fiasco. spoiler[You know, when two highschool kids armed with one wooden sword and one real sword defeated a large group of mercenaries armed with assault rifles Rolling Eyes] . There are many ecchi shows out there that are likable for more than just the ecchi, but Princess Lover is most certainly not one of them.
vastoceans

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:

This series had a decent start, but around the time the onsen episode hit mid-way through, it really lost its way. All the characters changed character and forgot about the central plot of the story for episodes at a time. I believe this is around the same time that all of the girls fell in love with the protagonist and were somehow taken aback by his mysterious ability to "subtly change" people. Where was this ability displayed to us? That is not quality writing and doesn't make for a quality title in my opinion. I'm glad you liked it, but I can't see it as being underrated either. Just another typical ecchi/harem romp with ridiculously large breasts.

I understand how you could enjoy it though. I'm sometimes surprised with the titles I like even though I'm not a fan of their particular genre. In this case, Sekirei comes to mind as a series that I'm not only surprised to have watched it all but also that I quite enjoyed it. Might be worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
This show was awful. I could barely get through the first couple of episodes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Finished it last fall, Uncensored, I've seen way worse. I definitely wouldn't call it awful in fact it was pretty entertaining and I liked the 4 main female characters. They were all good combinations of personalities I liked and hotness...especially Charlotte. Anime catgrin

It definitely is pretty hammy though and the ending wasn't that great. The rampant fanservice also helped.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I'll rephrase what I said. Look at everything in the the bottom 500. There are hentais like "The Pianist", or just hentais that are obviously worse than this series, yet somehow Princess Lover! is rated as one of the worst ever.

I'm comparing this to the list of ecchis/fan service shows i've seen such as: Asu No Yoichi, Akane Iro Somaru Saka, Akikan, Konokon, Kemeko Deluxe, Maburaho, Ahh My Buddha (1&2), Nogizaki Haruka no Himutsu (1&2), Seto no Hanayome, To Love-Ru, Kiss X Sis.
This isn't the entire list of animes I've seen under the ecchi genre, however these are ones that can be compared to Princess Lover! one way or another. In this list there has to be a few animes others would agree are much worse than princess lover. yet somehow none of these are not bottom 500. If Princess Lover isn't a really great anime, then ok, but it isn't that BAD, either.

Princess Lover has fewer grope and perv scenes out of all of these animes I've listed. There are characters with abnormally large breast, but it's made up with the higher level of seriousness.

Spoilers Present:
In Episode 1 you are introduced to the main character, a guy who loses his parents and ends up being taken in by his grandfather. He helps a girl, later on meets up with his grandfather. Then near the end he meets his fiancée.

Episode 2
He gets to see his new home along with his maid who is very loyal to his grandfather. Then he gets to go to his school for the first time, where you'll meet more of the shows characters.

Episode 3
He gets to know his fiancee a little better, he's introduced to the society club, which he will try hard to become a member of after being pushed by Seika Houjouin.

ep 4. He gets closer to Seika Houjouin, and helps her out.

ep 5. He goes on a romantic date with Charlotte Hazelrink

ep 6. your typical Hotspring/bath fanservice episode

ep 7. After a couple of misunderstandings, Charlotte's Fiancée pops in and you're introduced to him.

ep 8. This is where the show changes its tone.
Teppei's grandfathers building in invaded by terrorist, and everyone helps to not make the plot hit the press.

ep 9. Is a continuation of episode 8.
Everyone continues to try to stop the terrorist, and by the end Charlotte's Fiancee "is shot", and Charlotte is kidnapped.

10. Everyone has their sorrows, and we find out Charlotte's Fiancée is a betrayer.

11. everyone finds out where Charlotte is and they plan to rescue her.

12. Charlotte is saved, and it's the traditional happy ending.

I gave very broad explanations of the episodes.

As we see the show starts by introducing characters, then having some fun episodes, then a fan service episode, another introductory episode, then a major change of plot by episode 8, then the last 2 episodes are about rescuing Charlotte
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba, I think you answered your own question.

This show gets the worse ratings because its like a hentai without the hentai.Plus its awful in so many ways.And what was with the whole train kidnapping mess?Might as well just tie her to train tracks and get the crappy,generic mess over with.I think the problem is with most highly rated harems there is a twist or something. The twist in this case was there were princesses. And it just went down the toilet into the generic,cliche prince/soon to be prince saves princess.Up to that point it was quite boring and then it switches into hero mode.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
They really isn't much sexual content at all in comparison to other series... There were a couple times in the series where someone "fell over" onto another, but not nearly as often as other ecchi series. Oh heck the series Kannagi (a series I rate between a 7 and an 8) actually had physically interaction with anything that was pervy. Princess Lover was just an accidental fall mainly.
Haruhiko Nezu in Princess Lover provided some pervyness I admit.

I watched the censored version originally. Today I watched the comparison clips of the dvd unedited version. Mainly just a few skirt shots, something a big chunk of anime has today...

I'm not calling Princess Lover the best series, but it is certainly deserves a 6 or better, not a 5 or less. That's comparing with low budget, dull-minded hentai. Sry if I'm going to far with it, I still want others to have their opinions.

Edit: Only removed the accidentally repeated word "someone", and removed a redundant word (had the word cheap before the phrase "low budget").

Last edited by Aoi_Sakaraba on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
They really isn't much sexual content at all in comparison to other series... There were a couple times in the series where someone someone "fell over" onto another, but not nearly as often as other ecchi series. Oh heck the series Kannagi (a series I rate between a 7 and an 8) actually had physically interaction with anything that was pervy. Princess Lover was just an accidental fall mainly.
Haruhiko Nezu in Princess Lover provided some pervyness I admit.

I watched the censored version originally. Today I watched the comparison clips of the dvd unedited version. Mainly just a few skirt shots, something a big chunk of anime has today...

I'm not calling Princess Lover the best series, but it is certainly deserves a 6 or better, not a 5 or less. That's comparing with cheap low budget, dull-minded hentai. Sry if I'm going to far with it, I still want others to have their opinions.

Agreed, I'm with you.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
Wow this show is old....brings back memories but what I think well exactly what he or she said:
Key wrote:

Concerning what you said: really, did we see the same series? This one had no shortage of ecchi jokes, even compared to other series in its genre; in fact, that was practically the focus of the series. I thought it started out pretty well but ultimately didn't think that it did much that was special beyond having some actual nudity in its uncensored form. (And if you decide to look around for the OVA episode associated with this series, be forewarned that it's full-blown hentai.)

To put it in a mean straightforward way, the show flat out sucks and I don't recommend it to anyone unless you want to get a hard on. Idk if that's ur thing oO...2D characters and all. Reason being is because the anime only got "the look" right. IMO I think this anime had a sexy female cast. Yep sexy. A shame I don't care for that crap though. My personal favorite was the blond one. Anyhow this anime is old man lol. I guess that's the new trend, but you should know better.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote
Your definition of "old" is pretty suspect, 2009 was not that long ago, only two years. I would classify it as "recent" personally. Otherwise, yeah, if you don't like Echi comedy you won't like this. Still it should at least be given credit for it's characters and it did look fantastic in the art department. Anime smallmouth
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7