• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dorohedoro (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote

Dorohedoro (TV)

Genres: Action, Comedy, Horror, Fantasy, Seinen
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Caiman is a person who has lost all of his memories after being transformed into a lizard-headed man by a sorcerer. Living in a grim urban region called Hole, he now hunts magic users in search of the one responsible for his metamorphosis in an attempt to recover his past and his face. Extremely strong and immune to magic, he has the help of his best friend, Nikaido. She is an agile fighter who runs a small restaurant at Hole. Their continuous slaughter of magicians calls the attention of a powerful sorcerer named En. He has his two best hitman, Shin and Noi, target the lizard-man and his ally. As Caiman delves deep into the search for his former identity, he starts acquiring odd clues that lead him into the bizarre magic world.
(from manga)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime adaptation of the manga. Netflix Japan is airing it today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Okay, I have been watching this ahead of its official English release, and it certainly has been an interesting one. I would say that in a number of ways it is so bizarre that I could put it alongside the troll series Pop Team Epic, where its dark comedy elements can have graphic violence come out of nowhere and be treated like normal. And more cannibalism than you might expect.

But the whole chaos of the series has a sort of charm that even as someone who can have a weak stomach to mindless violence and stuff, actually came to enjoy it. Just learning to kind of sit back and enjoy the wackiness, the absurdity of everything. Like I don't remember an explanation of why everyone wears random masks, from just bags on their head to what appears to be a cooked turkey, but I kind of got used to it. The craziness was just something I learned to love.

And I am not sure if any character displayed the craziness quite like Ebisu, who was just weird at first with kind of the only real sort of feminine body, and also a lot of hurt. But she just kind of became hilarious and weirdly cute, as much as it also wanted to make such things clash. The whole show feels like this weird clash that is oddly nice to watch, I think the OP got some attention, but I think the EDs were the ones that best showed this feeling of: "We know we are weird and maybe technically limited in what is possible to have on screen, but F you if you think you get to decide what we are." And for that reason I think it was the third ED (there are a number) that was my favourite in how it used the weird mixes of limited animation, some pretty imagery, and the villain cast with their team pet as focus. Like the characters are kind of dancing with their hands in the air with the pet also doing so, but it is pretty clear that the pet is just doing it because a bug is flying around.

To me that ED almost feels like a microcosm of what interests me about the series of the series in general. That you have this whole bunch of disturbing stuff, but underneath it you have this maybe authentic kind of nice stuff, but also understand that a lot of that nice stuff is kind of like a lie to tell yourself so everything feels a little brighter. You probably should find something that is true simple and good, but when everything is messed up you should just take what you can get. Not like I think that is something profound that represents real life, but it is kind of fascinating to look at for a bit. That also between all the craziness of this show that can at times feel like random for its own purposes, even if entertaining, there can be these little threads that move the story forward, and maybe even genuine moments that feel all the stronger because everything else can be chaotic and messy.

The series is so odd that instead of what would be a preview to the next episode you instead get words that may describe things in the episode you just watched, with the series name for what is next, like saying who knows what is next. My rating will be Very good (8/10), a very unique experience as an anime viewer.

Shocking!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1