• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sasameki Koto (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well it didn't have much plot relivence, but it had it's own merits, I did notice Azusa standing back a bit more from Sumika. Actualy I forgot to do the week before hands critique. Well in that regard I found it kind of weird that Sumika was so obsessed Ushio yet was spoiler[not paying attention to others who were not having as much fun like Tomoe. Though I did like how she still does help Azusa who doesn't really have any friends and Sumika probably helps a lot.]

It was funny in this week seeing how she treats that guy, aswell as how the others responded to her knowing him. spoiler[ It was kind of cruel realy and much different if from when he was in drag.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Awwwwww, it's the final episode! Sad

spoiler[Sumika is out on the countryside to visit her relatives which means a few days without being with Ushio. She did promise her to call her but little did she know that her cellphone signal is out of range. Worse part is when her cellphone got temporarily damaged from getting wet when she tried to save one of her cousins. Ushio on the other hand was getting a little too antsy when waiting for her call......like a worried girlfriend! Surprised

In the end, it all works out in an introspective sense plus having Ushio finally being able to reach Sumika.]

SEASON 2, WHERE?!!!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I kind of found the last episode a bit weak. There definetly needs to be a second season to give any closure at all. Actually they didn't even have most of the character, which is a bit of a drag, the charecters for me was a good part.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I can say outright that throughout the entire series (except episode 12), AIC seriously gave this one the most incredibly faithful adaptation I have ever seen. Pretty much every single line and scene in the anime are exactly how it is in the manga. I'm starting to question whether this was even a good idea in the first place because combined with (once a FREAKIN' again) slow piano background music, it made the pacing rather limp in the beginning of the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
There damn well better be a second season or somebody's going to get a few punches to the face (or maybe a karate chop or two in honour of Sumika). I have to say, I really hate when a good romance series takes you up to the point where things have a chance of really getting interesting and then bows out. This series NEEDS a second season. (And as long as I'm demanding second series for good yuri shows, I may as well put in an order for a second helping of Aoi Hana.)

Anyway, Sumika and Ushio are SOOOOOO gay for each other now. They couldn't even go two days of no contact without getting a major case of the antsies. Obviously, this is nothing new with respect to emotional intensity for Sumika who has been carrying a crush for Ushio for ages. Now that Ushio (sort of) realizes her feelings for Sumika, I want MORE!!!
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
There damn well better be a second season or somebody's going to get a few punches to the face (or maybe a karate chop or two in honour of Sumika). I have to say, I really hate when a good romance series takes you up to the point where things have a chance of really getting interesting and then bows out. This series NEEDS a second season.

This ^. I am very displeased at Sasameki Koto for pulling the age old anime romance "What do youuuuuuu think?" card. I can understand if there are multiple people trying to fight for the main character's love (like Tenchi or Nyan Koi, at least for what we've seen) and the writers don't want to enrage one side of the fanboy/girls more than the other.

But when it's like THIS and BLATANTLY obvious that both like each other, and they possibly both realize that the other likes them too (looking at the last scene, with the homework, that is possible) then GIVE. US. AN. "I LOVE YOU" and then end the freaking show.

Rant over. Rage returning to normal levels.

The episode, I felt, was also a bit weak. If Sumi knew that her Uncle had a phone, why didn't she call Kazama as soon as she got there? If she pulled the same "I don't know this number" routine, just keep calling. For the amount of effort that the show put into the whole "I want to call you/I want to hear from you" aspect, calling multiple times until she picked up doesn't seem too unreasonable. At least for me, if a random number keeps calling, I eventually pick up to find out why they are calling me. Usually it's because my office has foolishly given out my cell number to some of my clients and they have taxation questions -.-

Oh, and a word to all the other romance anime (Kimi no Todake, I'm looking at you), DON'T YOU DARE USE THE SAME CARD.
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Since other posters have already accurately expressed the rage/disappointment I'm feeling, I'll just say I too thought the ending was lackluster.

Needs a season 2 obviously, but I wonder how much further they can stretch the Kazama/Sumika relationship. It's already nearly at breaking point, I think an entire 13 episode second season would just be redundant.

A 40 minute OVA perhaps? That should be enough time to throw the girls club into some interesting situation and see how Kazama and Sumika's relationship plays out.
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
spooksmagee wrote:

A 40 minute OVA perhaps? That should be enough time to throw the girls club into some interesting situation and see how Kazama and Sumika's relationship plays out.

I was thinking the same, but forgot to mention it because of my rage. I think an OVA (or a multi episode OVA ala Higu Rei) would suffice.

I also found it a bit odd that the rest of the girls club didn't appear at all (minus the one CAKE CAKE text Kazama received). I mean, sure the previous episode did feel like the "last hurrah" of the girl's club appearing in the show, but you'd think you would at least give them a few lines. Heck, they could have had Tomoe hint to Kazama about the fact that Sumi might not like boys, etc etc, to open up the whole "I can love her" thing that she's thinking at the end.

but whatever, eh? what's done is done.

Though here is a question: I noticed that someone above mentioned the fact that there was a manga/light novel or something. Does it end where the show ended? I doubt we will see anything else from Koto if that is true.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
First post of the new year!!!

Niomo wrote:

Though here is a question: I noticed that someone above mentioned the fact that there was a manga/light novel or something. Does it end where the show ended? I doubt we will see anything else from Koto if that is true.

The last episode corresponds to chapter 12 of the manga. Right now there are 34 chapters that has been released in Comic Alive, and it's still ongoing. At the pace AIC adapted this, there's definitely enough material for a season 2. Obviously I can't read (though I wish I can control Twisted Evil ) the Japanese producers if they ever plan another season.
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
First post of the new year!!!

Niomo wrote:

The last episode corresponds to chapter 12 of the manga. Right now there are 34 chapters that has been released in Comic Alive, and it's still ongoing. At the pace AIC adapted this, there's definitely enough material for a season 2. Obviously I can't read (though I wish I can control Twisted Evil ) the Japanese producers if they ever plan another season.

Wow. that's a lot of material. I'm tempted to just read it all to see if they get together. but it's good to know there's enough for at least an OVA to get them together. That would be good enough for me.
Some Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Well... School really nailed me these last few weeks so I didn't get to say anything about this show on here.

I am a little bothered with the way the show ended, leaving us hanging like that. I mean if this was going to be the only season then I have to agree with Niomo, THROW US A FRICKEN BONE HERE. On the other hand, if a second season shows up then all will be forgiven.

I think there was an article in the NYT a long while back about how the cell phone was the death of many plot device. Whatever that article sad it was refreshing to see an attempt made at actually using it for that very purpose. Whether or not it was a good attempt is probably best decided by each individual.

I don't know... If more of the show had been like the first two episodes (drama, drama, drama) or like the last episode (fun, irreverent, well paced) I probably would have liked it more. Still, somehow the characters became closer to each other without me being able to pick up on it, I dont know if the writers were being subtle or if it just [/i]happened[/i], I hope it's the former.

I'm going to stop here, I am just rambling now.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
To be honest, this series in its entirety has kind of disappointed me. I find Sumika's flustered side to be pretty poorly acted by her VA and as such it doesn't come across as very convincing; similarly with Ushio's soft-spokenness (especially in the last episode). I just found that every episode felt a little forced, as if the VA's didn't really flesh out their characters the way they should. I think it's very important in a character-development-oriented show like this, and it just doesn't feel like it's there. At first I thought this show had it over Kimi ni Todoke, but as the season has progressed, the latter completely won out whereas this show has kind of dragged and the characters progressively more unbearable to watch, in my opinion.

I don't really know if I care enough about seeing Sumika actually getting with Ushio to watch an entire other season. The bits that are meant to be heartfelt are usually spoiled by a random Sumika delusion and the comedy bits aren't really original or even that funny. I compare this show to Aoi Hana a lot in my mind and I just think that it uses yuri as a gimmick to an otherwise completely stock, boring lovecom. In Aoi Hana the characters had real depth and you could really emotionally relate to and feel for them. In this I pretty much only finished the series because it was 13 episodes long and I'd be saying to myself "only 3 more to go", "only 2 more now" etc. It had a vaguely interesting premise for me, as I like good yuri series (Blue Drop, Aoi Hana, hell even Strawberry Panic and Kashimashi were fun guilty pleasures with intriguing characters and interesting arcs) but this one just doesn't have life to it. It just feels bland, forced, and ultimately boring and unentertaining for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4