• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MM! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Synopsis: MM! is a new fall 2010 series that focuses on the main character, Sado Taro's, battle to get rid of his condition of sexual masochism with the help of the Second Volunteering Club, run by the aggresive Mio Isurugi and with Yuuno Arashiko as a member.

So far, I really like this show. I generally pick at least one harem/ecchi show each season, either for pure entertainment or to see if it breaks the mold. Although MM! doesn't seem like it will be taking too many risks, I have to say that I enjoy its presentation of the subject matter. Of course it plays Sado's masochism as a continuous joke, but the fact that he wants to get rid of it and sees it as a hindrance is interesting. The reveal of his friend Tatsukichi spoiler[being his crush] was also interesting, and it actually surprised me. I like Tatsukichi and Sado's relationship and how they support each other, with a strong male bond that wasn't spoiler[entirely] gay. It was nice to see the lead's friend not being an incredibly annoying and perverted character. I'm also interested in seeing what role Yuuno plays in the show.

What did you guys think about the first episode?
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
For once, a series not ridden with fanservice and nudity, at least for now (although it's Xebec show... yeah). This one shows promise for an actual plot and that much welcome. Both animation and comedy are good while characters are certainly refreshing, only I wonder if the series can keep it's energy and not beat the one "he's a masochist" joke into the ground (like Mitsudomoe did with "misunderstanding" or Seitokai Yakuindomo with "girls do dirty jokes" for entire seasons). But right now I am excited to see more of MM!. Lets hope this feeling lasts.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It looks okay. Like most shows it tries maybe a little too hard to immediately get in your face and be shocking and memorable. It needs to calm down a bit.
I think the extended gag will be the array of other sexual "dysfunctions" other characters will have. Apart from Sedo's Masochism we also have the best friend as spoiler[an effeminate cross-dresser,] Mio, who may be a sadist and seems spoiler[to get off on praise], the other club member who is spoiler[a likely androphobe (a big thing this year)], the school nurse who isspoiler[ a possible dominatrix type sadist] and Sedo's mother and sister who spoiler[might have incestuous feelings for him (the other big trend of the year)]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
"You are the worst failure of God." Heh-heh-heh. I dig this show and will watch it to the end - an opinion I cannot defend; it simply exists.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
the other club member who is spoiler[a likely androphobe (a big thing this year)]

I read in a synopsis that Yuuno is actually spoiler[the cause of Sado's masochism], which would be pretty interesting and is one of the reasons I'm going to keep watching the show. However I can't make any promises because I don't know exactly how trustworthy my source is. Anime smile + sweatdrop
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
the other club member who is spoiler[a likely androphobe (a big thing this year)]

I read in a synopsis that Yuuno is actually spoiler[the cause of Sado's masochism], which would be pretty interesting and is one of the reasons I'm going to keep watching the show. However I can't make any promises because I don't know exactly how trustworthy my source is. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I dunno i haven't read anything about the show, but based on the episode, spoiler[ the girl that Sado freaked out and got him outed as a pervert looked a lot like Yuuno, which would make me think it was Sado that turned Yuuno into an andorophobe. ] granted there is a good chance im wrong about that though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The closest show I could compare this to this year would be Working!! or maybe Seitokai Yakuinodomo, this show has set itself up being about various 'problems' and we must see how it turns out. I did like a show that had a few issues that are shuned by society (Sasameki Koto) and if this can reach simular levels character I will be happy.

Oh and about the twist that spoiler[his friend was the girl] I saw it a mile away (no more then half way), did cause me to gasp for a second though. I might have guessed that his masochism is caused by his mother and sister.

This will probably be something I will watch all of, I rarely drop these types, but I hope that maybe it can offer something new and not just be the M joke over and over again.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I did like a show that had a few issues that are shuned by society (Sasameki Koto) and if this can reach simular levels character I will be happy.

Mmmm... Sasameki Koto... Cool

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking for the same type of vibes since that is one of my favorite shows. If MM! can reach anywhere near the quality of that show, I'd be one happy girl. That show really exceeded my expectations both for presentation and character development, so I'm not counting on MM! getting that good. I can only dream...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking for the same type of vibes since that is one of my favorite shows. If MM! can reach anywhere near the quality of that show, I'd be one happy girl. That show really exceeded my expectations both for presentation and character development, so I'm not counting on MM! getting that good. I can only dream...

Ditto, except the happy girl part, I am a male.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I did like a show that had a few issues that are shuned by society (Sasameki Koto) and if this can reach simular levels character I will be happy.

I hope you're being sarcastic... Sasameki Koto was really very drab and if it weren't for the fact that it is one of the few yuri shows out there (ie if the long haired glasses chick with a forget-me-not name har har was a dude) then the series would have been universally shunned as a boring cliched pile of trash. Half the cast were unbearably annoying to watch, and the ending was left unresolved and frustrating (as far as I can remember; the fact that the show isn't really memorable speaks volumes about it because I usually dig this kind of thing). It didn't manage well on either of the comedy or sweet fronts and just ended up being another throwaway nothing. Even for its open ending, Aoi Hana did a similar concept worlds better.

The series that MM! most reminds me of is Kashimashi - Girl Meets Girl which started with a ridiculous premise, and turned out to be far and away one of the most unexpectedly good series I've ever seen. It managed to be really funny, the characters were all interesting, individual and engaging, and the development of the story managed to be quite touching and heartwarming/breaking with moments of real, genuine emotion. Go into a series with a sex change concept and aliens and it's pretty much the last thing you expect, but that series really was a gem.

So I'm kind of hoping that this show will head in that direction; keeping up its fast paced comedy but actually managing to reach out and touch as well. I would like that; I have doubts as to whether this is the kind of series to deliver but you never know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Koterrr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
So far I don't really get the show. It just doesn't get under your skin. I was expecting much more, given the cast...
Well, I'll watch it anyway, just in case it gets better. Smile
killmyself

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:15 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The closest show I could compare this to this year would be Working!! or maybe Seitokai Yakuinodomo, this show has set itself up being about various 'problems' and we must see how it turns out. I did like a show that had a few issues that are shuned by society (Sasameki Koto) and if this can reach simular levels character I will be happy.

Oh and about the twist that spoiler[his friend was the girl] I saw it a mile away (no more then half way), did cause me to gasp for a second though. I might have guessed that his masochism is caused by his mother and sister.

This will probably be something I will watch all of, I rarely drop these types, but I hope that maybe it can offer something new and not just be the M joke over and over again.

I wasn't going to watch this because it doesn't sound like something I would like but I love all three of the anime you mentioned and will give MM a try. Sasameki Koto is in my hall of fame for being the only anime where I managed to dislike every single character but love the show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
LeanGreen wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I hope you're being sarcastic... Sasameki Koto was really very drab and if it weren't for the fact that it is one of the few yuri shows out there (ie if the long haired glasses chick with a forget-me-not name har har was a dude) then the series would have been universally shunned as a boring cliched pile of trash. Half the cast were unbearably annoying to watch, and the ending was left unresolved and frustrating (as far as I can remember; the fact that the show isn't really memorable speaks volumes about it because I usually dig this kind of thing). It didn't manage well on either of the comedy or sweet fronts and just ended up being another throwaway nothing. Even for its open ending, Aoi Hana did a similar concept worlds better.

I completely disagree with your assessment of Saskmeki Koto which I didn't find drab at all. For me, the humour worked fine and I liked the characters. It's true that the ending didn't emphatically resolve things (which is not terribly unusual in anime) but that may be because another season might happen in the future. Your opinion is your opinion, but what disappoints me about your comments is that annoying, "I am the one true judge of all that is good in anime so I will adopt this prickish tone." You normally avoid that kind of bullshit, Skylark, I hope this does not become a trend with you. Saying things like, "I hope you are being sarcastic..." and making judgments like, "...would have been universally shunned..." are simply the braying of an ignorant ass.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You normally avoid that kind of bullshit, Skylark, I hope this does not become a trend with you. Saying things like, "I hope you are being sarcastic..." and making judgments like, "...would have been universally shunned..." are simply the braying of an ignorant ass.

.. I hope you are being sarcastic. I don't think anyone here is silly enough to believe that their opinion is actually more correct or better informed than mine. Jeez, these commoners can get uppity, can't they?

Razz

People who have hung around with me enough should probably just take me for the bottom-cavity that I am. But yeah, Sasameki Koto is a raw spot for me because I had high expectations and found it lacking - characters make the series for me and I couldn't connect with any of them or even come to empathize with them. I still reckon that it wouldn't have been rated as worth watching by many people if it wasn't one of the small selection of yuri titles available, but I don't really hate it that much; the response was more knee jerk than anything else. Besides, you know me well enough to know my stance of "each to his own"; and, I am pretty ignorant so let me have a bray once in a while lol.

Anyways I found out the rather obvious yesterday; that "M" is a japanese abbreviation for a masochist. How about that? I know right, the logic part of my brain must be a bit broken. The harem aspect of this show could turn out to be pretty funny, because to me it looked as though the spoiler[tranny kid was trying to hit on mister M.] I just hope the female "lead" (ie winner) is the purple haired girl; for me at the moment she is far more interesting than the tsundere++ blonde. On a side note, I need to stop watching so many shows concurrently, I'm starting to get terrible at remembering names.

PS Aoi Hana is still better Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
I totally empathized with Tall Glasses Girl (you can see I'm great with character names, too) from Sasameki Koto. I winced with every unwitting cut that the object of her desire delivered. My favourite one that made me chuckle/wince was when Blondey wanted to practice kissing and she was willing spoiler[to use a skeleton from anatomy class over our long-suffering heroine, saying "you're too tall, I can't get in the mood.]" Ouch! Laughing

Anyway, as you say, to each their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5