• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
I don't really plan out what I'm going to buy. Usually my system is:

Right Stuf sale announced. Go through and write down everything I want. Go through list and get the price down to something reasonable. Place order.

Now sometimes I'm specifically hunting something out of print and will watch for months to find it at a good price. And there are things that I know I'm going to buy whenever they come out, such as the next Twelve Kingdoms and Haruhi Suzumiya novels, but those also usually get shifted into the TRSI sales mix.

Back in the day, I used to think a lot more what I would buy, in part because I was broke, so I had to make tough choices, but also because I didn't have a ton of DVDs and manga waiting to be watched for the first time. Now, I have the money to be a bit more flippant, but at the same time it's hard for me to want too much when I have so much that I just haven't watched yet.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Being effectively unable to benefit from such bounties as RightStuf, I am required to have a coherent notion of what I wish to obtain long before I part with funds. Spending money on this hobby perhaps hinders my medium-to-long term plans for the future, but hopefully not by a critical amount.

For 2011, the list of titles I am strongly considering is as follows:

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (The long-anticipated first DVD release)
Chobits (The Funimation re-release)
Dirty Pair (Both volumes, eventually)
Project A-Ko (To replace my poorly-chosen dub-only release)

With luck, I should be able to acquire these items from the stockists I have come to trust, without having to pay any fees pertaining exclusively to the act of importation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm considering Buying Mermaid Forrest and Requiem From the Darkness. Both I've seen already but in the first series' case, it's nearly impossible to find now and in the second series' case I'm waiting for a sale.

I'd sell you my Mermaid Forest set. PM me if you want it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Planning in the future to get Summer Wars and the Black Lagoon OAV series when Funimation releases them on DVD next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
FaytLein - your monthly expenses are only $800? I envy you. My rent + parking alone is dangerously close to $1200/month. Ah, the joys of living in Toronto...

Ah, but you're probably forgetting to compensate for your 10 month metric calendar, so it's actually closer. Wink

I have a coulpe things that I'm waiting for, mostly from Funimation. FLCL, Eva 2.whatever and even though Samurai Champloo has been out for some time, I never got around to actually buying it. I was going to get the BD version, but then I heard something about it being awful or something and it just never happened. I am also going to get/preorder Viz's Cross Game manga 1-3 as soon as there is a Viz sale at Right Stuf.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, lets see what is on my "wish list"...

5 CM Per Second: If Bandai ever decides to actually release it.
Bamboo Blade (complete colection): When it gets cheaper.
Haruhi Season 2: Maybe when they make a complete collection (and put them in the "proper" order) also correct audio (apparently the Japanese version is just stereo and not 5.1 like it says?)
Haruhi the movie: When it gets a US DVD release (and is not too expensive with a DUB/SUB).
Irresposible Captain Tylor (both the TV & OVA): When is the next Right Stuff/Nozomi sale again???
Strike Witches: Again a complete collection with both seasons would be the way that I would like to buy.

That's about it that I can think of. Of course I probably would like a lot more than that, but the $ is always an issue...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
5 CM Per Second: If Bandai ever decides to actually release it.

I'm waiting for this, too, but I don't think Bandai is the reason for the hold up (I've pre-ordered it through them). From my understanding, the Bandai Store is acting as the retailer for the title, but it is Crunchyroll who holds the license. So it's not actually clear to me who is responsible for the hold up (it was originally supposed to be available on Oct. 08). If anybody has any insight into this, by all means, feel free to enlighten us.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I'm considering Buying Mermaid Forrest and Requiem From the Darkness. Both I've seen already but in the first series' case, it's nearly impossible to find now and in the second series' case I'm waiting for a sale.

I'll definitely keep it in mind though I'm not really sure if I want to buy the shows just yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
As part of my research as to whether I do really want to buy all of NISA's current line, I availed myself of the opportunity to check out the first eppie of Persona - Trinity Soul on ANN this morning. Dug it, will buy. And like Funi doesn't already have enough of my money, I checked out the first eppie of Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Dug it, will buy.

Apparently, the anime industry is not going to be happy until I'm totally destitute, living in a cardboard box under an underpass and bumming change.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
There are currently anime two titles that I can think of that I will definitely be buying once they become available.

Summer Wars, because I completely loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and it just sounds very interesting.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie. I really fell in love with that first season, and even thoroughly enjoyed the second. I wish a release date was forthcoming. I also wish that the Figma of Haruhi that I preordered hadn't had its release date pushed back a month. I'm not especially fond of her (I'm more of a side character fan), but I just love that Disappearance figure.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
This.
I already own it, but it's at such a sweet price I might just buy one more just for display, another to lend, another to keep besides my pillow while asleep, and another to adjust my dining table.

Seriously, though. I'll buy a couple so I can try to get a few people addicted to anime whenever I feel like it.

As for pleasing myself... currently too busy at work with no time to compose a wish list on rightstuf. Be sure that everything that new company released will be on my list.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Durarara! It looks really interesting, I'm going to watch it on Crunchyroll first though.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I'll definitely keep it in mind though I'm not really sure if I want to buy the shows just yet.

Yeah just let me know. Everything is in perfect condition but there is a little nick on the corner of the artbox (purchased it that way sadly) I sell cheap too. Most of my stuff has been going for $3 a disc.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The only things that I am definite about picking up in the near future are Summer Wars and Evangelion 2.22 on blu-ray. The trailer for the first was enough to make me want it and I was very impressed with the BD of the first Eva movie.

There is also an item in the TRSI bargain bin which I intend to buy someday, namely the box set (full size, not thinpak) of Tenchi Muyo GXP. Since there are still over 100 copies available I am keeping this to use as an add on to get free shipping on a future order.

Being a completist I will probably want to get The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya if I can get it at a decent price (and will also be keeping an eye out down the road for an Anime Legends box set of the Nyoron-chan stuff).

One of the advantages of having a huge backlog is that I can be very patient especially with TV shows which will often be repackaged in ever-cheaper versions as time goes by. Two recent instances of patience saving me a lot were Death Note (almost bought the sets from TRSI weekly specials at $39.98 each a couple of times. just got both for $44.07 total from DeepDiscount) and Romeo X Juliet (almost bought the season set from TRSI for $37.80, got both half-season sets for $14.99 total from Movietronix).

I'm interested in Oh! Edo Rocket but will wait for a lower priced version; the same goes for Bamboo Blade. There are other titles I may be interested in but for those I kind of do it the way @Mylene does; when someone has a sale I look through the titles and see if there's anything I really want.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:

One of the advantages of having a huge backlog is that I can be very patient especially with TV shows which will often be repackaged in ever-cheaper versions as time goes by. Two recent instances of patience saving me a lot were Death Note (almost bought the sets from TRSI weekly specials at $39.98 each a couple of times. just got both for $44.07 total from DeepDiscount) and Romeo X Juliet (almost bought the season set from TRSI for $37.80, got both half-season sets for $14.99 total from Movietronix).

I'm in the same boat. Very nice price on getting the two Death Note sets. That's even better then the $49.98 I spent to get both from a TRSI sale last year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 132