• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Sasami Tsukuyomi has been attempting to pass her first year of high school despite being a shut in. Fortunately, her older brother Kamiomi happens to be a teacher at the school she is supposed to attend. With the use of the “Brother Surveillance Tool” she can view the outside world via her computer. Theoretically it should be helping her adjust to interfacing with people again... Instead, it's giving her an up close and personal view of the very odd Yagami sisters who have various types of “interest” in Kamiomi. It looks like Sasami will have to take off her pajamas and go out into the “real” world to set things straight in Sasami-san@Ganabaranai.

Episode 1
Whoa, that was insane! Shaft style, baby.

There was a ALOT of action with the spoiler[missiles, kicks, blasts, etc. Oh, and let's not forget the chocolate. Yum.] The OP song is nice too and catchy although I didn't feel the same for the ED song. The music/soundtrack was pretty catchy as well. spoiler[I'm a little curious on why one of the characters hides his face with that suitcase] but otherwise, this was a very entertaining episode imo.

Shaft ftw!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
That was a crazy episode. I loved the animations. I normally have a love/hate relationship with Shaft's design. I usually like their animation but sometimes I hate it, like the Bakemonogatari animations. I hated the constant eye closeups. But this show didn't have it, so I am liking it so far, especially the weird backgrounds. I don't think we will ever see spoiler[the guys face as I couldn't find any pictures of him.] It is probably going to be a running gag. The brother was crazy, he took love for his little sister to a new level. And the sister doesn't mind it, she actually likes it and probably loves him like he loves her, but it too "tsundere" to show it. Their relationship is more like a doting mother and her baby child, since he basically does everything for her. The 3 sisters were weird too. The oldest one has a loli body, the middle one is sleepy all the time, and the youngest one has the maturest body. I wonder if they all have powers, or was it all just a crazy daydream by Sasami.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Of course this is SHAFT, that was insane in only a way SHAFT can. Something tells me that the whole thing is actually a jab at the otaku culture: Over-doting brother, helpless cute sister, mature bodied girl with beyond childish personality, loli bodied colleague with adult interests, and a fairlyquite girl with little emotion described as a bit of a robot. It felt like SHAFT are trying to hold up a mirror to otaku and say that "this is you", the faceless man being an insert for the audience.

In a SHAFT way there was a lot of possible symolism, which made the entire plot of the episode, spoiler[the world becoming chocolate], hard to figure out. Could the entire thing have just been inside the head of the shut in? I noticed some references: one obvious one was the brother doing the Hare Hare Yukai in the library, Love, Elections and Chocolate having its name altered.

Might still watch, but it might end up a little too sureal, it actually reminded me a bit of Humanity has Declined. And will this actually be a romance between the brother and sister? The other set alternatives are not much better with student, some kid, or the other teacher. The action was interesting but really it was so weird I found it hard to enjoy it fully.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'm usually not into the artistic "weirdness" of these types of shows, so I'm relatively cautious about continuing this one. The temporal animation quality was pretty superb, but that might just be the case for episode 1. I'll keep going with it for a couple weeks, but at that point, it'll be hard to drop it at all (I didn't drop a single show I watched more than 1 episode of last season, no matter how terrible it got.)
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Something that could very easily get lost in translation is that the characters all have very unusual and very likely symbolic names. The three sisters have the surname Yagami, which is written here as "Wicked God" and their given names are Tsurugi, Kagami and Tama, meaning "Sword", "Mirror", and "Gem" which are the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan, representing the Imperial Family and the goddess Amaterasu. Sasami and her brother's surname is Tsukuyomi, who happens to be another god and Amaterasu's brother.

I have no idea what any of this means, but just pointing out another weirdness in the series.

Edit: Oh wait, there's the old story of Amaterasu secluding herself in a cave. The Mirror at least is heavily connected to that story. So essentially this is religious allegory.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
man, i have no idea what the hell just happened, but it looked pretty cool

Last edited by getchman on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Something that could very easily get lost in translation is that the characters all have very unusual and very likely symbolic names. The three sisters have the surname Yagami, which is written here as "Wicked God" and their given names are Tsurugi, Kagami and Tama, meaning "Sword", "Mirror", and "Gem" which are the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan, representing the Imperial Family and the goddess Amaterasu. Sasami and her brother's surname is Tsukuyomi, who happens to be another god and Amaterasu's brother.

I have no idea what any of this means, but just pointing out another weirdness in the series.

Edit: Oh wait, there's the old story of Amaterasu secluding herself in a cave. The Mirror at least is heavily connected to that story. So essentially this is religious allegory.

The 2nd episode pretty much explained what you stated, although Sasami doesn't know exactly what the 3 sisters are. But it looks like spoiler[the brother has Amaterasu's power now and he caused the Valentine's day incident. Sasami had the power before as she created the monster in the 2nd episode 3 years ago.]
methaniel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
I'm actually pretty surprised at how fast, yet simply the whole base of this anime was explained with only some lines in the beginning. And now, the whole anime makes "sense".
Anyway, the second episode reinforce my impression that this is going to be my favorite anime this season and by quite a large margin. There is a lot more talk than I expected there would, and that's all for the better (personally).
Also, the ED is really excellent, I wonder if we'll get the real version before the end
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ep. 1 & 2:

More about the "Amaterasu in a cave" story.
Apparently, Susano had tossed a flayed horse into the room, where the Sun Goddess was weaving, in order for her to "loosen up". Instead, she fled into the cave out of fear.

To further the Shinto analogy, Ep.2 references Yamata no Orochi, the Eight forked serpent who ate seven out of 8 daughters of an elderly couple (like with the missing students). The computers are, of course, meant to show Sasami being omnipresent like a Deity. They also reference 1960's shojo art, a baseball manga, some kodomo manga w/ weird faces, Red Bull, Rocky Horror Picture Show, NES controller, and maybe more?

But if spoiler[the brother is Amaterasu], then the factspoiler[ he doesn't show his face might have to do with concealing himself much like the Sun Deity out of some form of fear towards his sister.] Perhaps, Sasami is spoiler[Susano who had to go on the long, lonely journey to the underworld without his sister?] Or maybe it's the other way around since Tsukiyomi marries his sister Amaratsu so, perhaps,spoiler[ the brother having her power means they are "very close".] Then, who will be the "Uzame to dance on a tub" to lure the Deity out of the cave? And what tragic event caused Sasami to become a shut-in?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
anyone know what the reference to angels' love was in the chocolate part?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Ep 3

Why is this thread so unpopular Sad. So everything was basically explained in this episode. Things got real and nothing is a daydream. spoiler[Tsurugi was Amaterasu but she gave away her powers to Sasami's past relative and that relative kept the power going through the family through incest. That explains why Kamiomi has such a sister complex. The episode also explained why he takes care of her and always hides his face. Tsurugi's sisters were actually once a part of her. Sasami finally realized that she still had Amaterasu's powers, but her desire to keep her brother happy made it seem like she lost the power. She can finally go to school, as the evil god can't prevent her from going out anymore]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
Yup, definitely glad a lot of things were explained like spoiler[Amaterasu. The episode was still a bit absurd with the third arm but hey, that's Shaft.]

I've been still watching this series and seems mediocre so far for me. It's not bad but just cant' seem to compare to some of the other titles I've been watching on Thursdays. It's still entertaining at many instances though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
From the first episode, it appeared to be a conglomeration of Welcome to the NHK combined with a PMMM parody. I hope they won't run the jokes stale during the rest of the series.
methaniel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote
So there was a reason behind the hikikomori behavior.
Anyway, that was once again a pretty nice episode which dwelved further than the 2nd one and finally explained the whole story.
Though, with the backsetting out of the picture now, I wonder what will the story be about. I'm really enjoying the show so far but have no idea where it is going...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
And one of the reasons I like watching Folktales From Japan, the folktales so regularly get referenced elsewhere in anime.

The White Rabbit of Inaba (Second story @8:30)

I don't think they've done anything about Amaterasu though, or at least not any specific story mentioned so far. I could be wrong though, 3 per episode, minus one "favorites" ep means they've done 123 so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3